PDA

View Full Version : Calemor

Camelot
2011-05-21, 08:21 PM
The plots and worlds I've created for my D&D games have come together and evolved into something enormous: a multiverse with characters, places, and a history that I'd like to share with you for your enjoyment. Having a love of the dramatic, I'm not going to reveal everything about the world to you at once, nor will I start from the beginning and go onwards. I'm going to start in the middle, revealing information through stories, history books, and journal entries written by the characters who inhabit the world of Calemor.

If DMs want to use my world, whether the whole thing or pieces of it, that's fine with me. However, that's not my purpose of starting this thread. I simply like sharing my stories, and want to entertain anyone who likes reading fantasy.

FeedbackFeel free to critique anything you feel the need to critique, though keep in mind that this world's history is already quite set, and I will be unlikely to make drastic changes or add in your ideas. However, if there is a particular aspect about the world that you would like to know more about, say so and I will make sure to reveal a document that fills your desire. Unless, of course, that information is something to which not even the most knowledgeable sages are privy.
The EncyclpediaLinks to every document will be provided here, with the events described in chronological order.

The Journal of Febbum Pinneljeck (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11047714&postcount=5)

The Dragon's Den Inn and Tavern (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11040864&postcount=2)

Camelot
2011-05-21, 09:39 PM
"The Dragon's Den Inn and Tavern," from The History of Fannen-Dar by Themich AljedekIntroduction

The Dragon's Den Inn and Tavern probably needs no introduction to anyone who has visited the city. Situated in the town center, overlooking the Fountain of Luck and the marketplace, the Dragon's Den is today the most popular place for travelers to rest, relax, and find out the latest news in the town. However, it was by far not always the center of Fannen-Dar's culture that it is now.

Foundation

The Dragon's Den was founded by the human merchant Ernast Strithaw in the year 951 A.K.N. A red dragon named Hystuzyx had made his lair near the road that connected Fannen-Dar to Strithaw's home city of Sollan. Hystuzyx developed a hobby of destroying any humanlikes who entered his territory, but letting one go free when they traveled in a large group, so word of his deeds could be spread. At the time, it was unknown if the dragon was controlling only the area between the two settlements or if the land he claimed as his territory extended to the other roads out of Fannen-Dar, so the Council insisted that all merchants who would be leaving the town for the winter to remain until further notice.

Strithaw knew he would not be able to make a living if he was forced to remain for the winter. He was 56 years old and had a wounded leg that kept him from doing manual labor, and there would be practically no travelers to buy his merchandise during the cold months. However, an idea came to him that might not only help him survive, but profit. Strithaw was said to pride himself in never sticking to one category of merchandise; he sold several odds and ends, such as tools, jewelry, exploration gear, and even the occasional weapon. In the gathering room of the apartment building that the quarantined merchants were provided, Strithaw set up a shop he called the Dragon's Den. He said that he named it such because "if you're going to go to a dragon's den, you should come to this one first." He sold all of his jewelry and trinkets before the first snowfall isolated the town, and used that gold to buy weapons, armor, tools, rations, and more that would be useful to adventurers who would try to put a stop to Hystuzyx. He charged dangerously low prices, knowing that if his idea failed he would go broke.

However, his idea worked. With the help of a frostsoul named Peshiil to spread the word, he attracted adventurers who were planning to ignore the warnings and make the journey to Sollan, passing through Hystuzyx's territory. They bought supplies from him, and he entertained them with stories of his life as a merchant. Travelers began to spend time in the gathering room, sharing stories with each other and Strithaw. From there, Strithaw convinced the owner of the apartments that he could make a profit off of this by selling food and drink to the travelers. Strithaw simply asked for a share of the gold. From then on, he began to slowly grow in wealth.

It wasn't before long that Hystuzyx was killed by adventurers who had bought their equipment from the Dragon's Den. With his head as proof that he was dead, the Council lifted the quarantine with one month of winter remaining. Strithaw, however, would be staying in Fannen-Dar for the rest of his life. When the heroes who defeated Hystuzyx returned to Fannen-Dar, they lauded the Dragon's Den as being a necessary key to their victory. Travelers began to flood to the gathering room of the apartment building, but when they got there, they found no weapons, armor, or adventuring gear. Strithaw told anyone who asked that it wasn't the gear he sold to the heroes that helped them; it was the information they learned from other travelers about the dragon while spending time at the Dragon's Den that led to their success. Strithaw used his earnings to buy the entire apartment building, which was now practically empty since the merchants were all leaving the town, and started renting out the rooms to the travelers who spent time and money drinking and talking in the gathering room. It was from there that the Dragon's Den changed from a supply store to the beginnings of the inn and tavern that it is today.

Omeganaut
2011-05-22, 01:00 PM
I like it so far. I just want to mention one concern and one question.

The question is; What are frostsouls?

The concern is: this may not be good for DM's looking for worlds, because they don't know what is going on "behind the scenes". I don't know if you're interested in having other people run games using your world though.

I personally like it a lot, and I can't wait for more.

Camelot
2011-05-22, 03:10 PM
The concern is: this may not be good for DM's looking for worlds, because they don't know what is going on "behind the scenes". I don't know if you're interested in having other people run games using your world though.

I personally like it a lot, and I can't wait for more.

If DMs want to use my world, whether the whole thing or pieces of it, that's fine with me. However, that's not my purpose of starting this thread. I simply like sharing my stories, and want to entertain anyone who likes reading fantasy.

Camelot
2011-05-22, 11:20 PM
"12 the Falling, 530 A.K.N." from the journal of Febbum PinneljeckToday I was humbled by a complete stranger.

I was walking through the forest when I felt a deep chill. I had thought that it was perhaps the winter coming in early, but I noticed it was odd because there hadn't been any other signs of winter. I was suddenly knocked to my back by a white wolf. I was sure that my life was about to come to an abrupt end when a voice asked "What are you doing here?"

The voice came from behind the wolf, from my point of view from the ground. It was male, and at first I thought it sounded human, but there was something odd about it that made me unsure, something precise. However, I didn't have time to think about the voice. I felt it best to answer quickly and truthfully, since I had nothing to hide, so I told him my name and that I was searching the forest for provisions for the winter, since I live alone in the woods. The wolf's snarl relaxed into an icy gaze at that point, and it stepped off my chest so I was able to stand up.

Now I saw to whom the voice belonged. It was a frostsoul. He looked human, but he had no hair and his skin was deathly white, cracked, and giving off an icy mist. When I saw him, I must admit I felt afraid. I had only heard legends of humans during the Elemental War who betrayed the mortal realm and fought alongside the elementals. They were given elemental powers, becoming frostsouls, firesouls, and others. Since the Elemental War was over five hundred years ago and was won by the mortal realm, and I had only heard of elemental humans and their vile deeds in legends, I had been under the impression that they no longer existed. Yet here was a frostsoul standing before me.

He had a spear pointed at my nose. "You're afraid of me," he said, and I could tell he knew why, yet he asked anyway. I continued to be truthful, telling him that the only frostsouls I had heard of were those who were enemies of gnomes and other mortals. He seemed both angered and saddened by this. Dangerous emotions for an armed stranger to have, but I hoped they were better than no emotions at all.

What he said next gave me immense pause. "Frostsouls, as you call my species, may or may not have once been the heinous men from your legends. I have been told different stories. Stories that tell of humans who fought against the elementals on the front lines of the Elemental War, only to be abandoned by their commanders and trapped in the elemental realm, where the only way to survive was to adapt and become elemental themselves. This is the story most elemental beings believe, and as such, we are hated by them for descending from their enemies. Yet here in the realm we once called home, we are despised because we are said to be descending from betrayers. I do not pretend to know which story is more correct. Perhaps both, perhaps neither. Either way, we are not the same as the people from any legend. We are their descendents. We can be different."

His wolf circled him and brushed up against his leg. He then said, "Go, gnome. I can see you are not dangerous. Stay clear of this place until spring brings life back to this forest, and you will be left alone." With that, he turned and walked straight into the trees, his wolf following at his heel.

I immediately headed home, feeling lightheaded but full of life. I had thought I was going to die. Unfortunately, my excitement for the day was not over.

On the path home, I spotted a beautiful blue and violet flower that I had never seen grow in the area before. It stood out drastically from the red and yellow leaves that had fallen from the trees. I was surprised it had managed to survive this late into autumn, so I wanted to pick it to study and preserve with my collection. When I reached down and touched the stem, it suddenly twisted around my hand, and I noticed that the stem was actually a vine that stretched back into the forest. It yanked me between the trees, up into the air, and I looked down to see the maw of a carnivorous plant open below me. For the second time in one day, I feared for my life. Only this time, I wasn't going to be shown mercy.

I heard a soft crunch and the vine loosened around my wrist. I wriggled free and landed on the ground, which writhed beneath me with more vines. I looked to the bestial plant, which was cleverly camouflaged with the fallen leaves, and I saw a spear sticking out of its body. A shape leapt over my head, and the white wolf tore into the plant, cutting off large chunks from the body. Not before long, the plant had been killed.

I turned to the frostsoul and asked why he had saved me. He admitted that he had been following me. "I had to be sure that you were as harmless as you seemed," he said, "and I am now quite sure of it." I risked telling him that he didn't actually answer my question. He smiled and put his hand on my bruised wrist. I was surprised to find his touch warm, and when he removed his hand, my wounds had vanished.

"I was not going to let a fellow living being be eaten by a creature lower on the food chain than he," he said, and once again left with his wolf into the depths of the forest.

averagejoe
2011-05-23, 12:51 AM

The Mod They Call Me: In that case, arts and crafts is probably more appropriate.