PDA

View Full Version : [Prc 3.5]The Master [peach maybe]

Cipher Stars
2011-05-23, 11:01 PM
Somewhat of a Just-because. It works with The Maid I created. probably doesn't even merit its own thread.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/lexal/Mastergirl.jpg
The Master
"Come to me..."
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|bonus feat, Masters Aura

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|+2 Charisma, Leadership

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Bonus Feat, Master's Touch, Multi-Master

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+5|+2 Charisma, Multi-Use

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+6|Bonus Feat, Maid Magnet[/table]

Hit Die: d4

Requirements:
to qualify to become a Master, a character must fulfill all the following criteria;
Maid:
A Master must have completed a contract, becoming owner of a Maid.
Ability:
A master must have a Charisma of 20 before taking this class.
Skills:
Diplomacy or Intimidate or Bluff, or Seduction at 10 ranks.
Special:
Cannot be a Maid bound by Contract.

Class Skills:
Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills taken individually), Listen, Perform, Ride, Sense Motive, Speak Language (any two), Spot, and Swim.
Skill Points at 1st Level
(4 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
In addition to bonuses and abilities granted by owning a maid, such as summoning them to your side no matter where they are, they gain the following:

Multi-Master:
A Master can have multiple maids equal to their Charisma modifier. The master can also designate any item as a Maids uniform.

Multi-Use:
Effects gained from Maids stack, or work at once (if he chooses).
Such as summoning all maids at once.

Master's Aura (Ex):
A Master grants his charisma modifier to will saves of his allies within charisma modifier x10 feet.
at level two; the aura grants 1/2 charisma modifier as a bonus to armor class.
at level three; the aura grants +10ft per 5 charisma modifier to allies speed.
at level four; the aura of the Master shatters the willpower of his enemies or those he wishes, -charisma modifier to will saves.
at level five; Onlookers (all capable of visually perceiving, accurately, the Master), besides those he excludes, must succeed on a Will DC=Master level+Charisma modifier+10 or be fascinated, Dazed, or Frightened depending on the Master's whims. Lasts 1 min/Cha mod (Cha +8 would be eight minutes).

Ability increases:
the Master gets +2 charisma every odd level.

Leadership:
The Master gets Leadership for free, if he already has leadership, he gets +1 for effects relating to it.

Bonus Feats:
Master gains feats at both even levels.

Master's Touch (Ex):
Master can, with a touch, crush ones will. On a failed will save vs DC 15 +Charisma mod, +masters level, the Master can render the subject Helpful, and as if under the effect of Dominate Monster.

Maid Magnet:
The Master is surrounded by an effect that seems to draw maids toward him, slightly influencing the actions of contract-less maids for many miles around.
Each day, the Master has a 1% chance of getting a new Maid looking for work.
If he is also actively looking, this increases to 10%

Eldest
2011-05-24, 02:42 PM
"at level five; Onlookers, besides those he chooses, must succeed on a DC=Master level+Charisma modifier+10"
or what?
This is the masters aura.
What stops a uncontracted maid from gaining a level in this and having a contract with herself? (assuming female).

Cipher Stars
2011-05-24, 03:34 PM
"at level five; Onlookers, besides those he chooses, must succeed on a DC=Master level+Charisma modifier+10"
or what?
This is the masters aura.
What stops a uncontracted maid from gaining a level in this and having a contract with herself? (assuming female).

Fixed.

All maids are "Contract Bound" until level twenty, when they get "Master of Myself" as a class feature, even if they currently don't have a Master.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-24, 03:40 PM
The Master's Touch class feature is laid out wrong. With how it's currently written, the target becomes helpful if they succeed on the save, rather than if they fail it.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-24, 03:46 PM
fixed .

Stompy
2011-05-24, 05:47 PM
Several crunch things I think that need clarified:

Master's Aura:
[...]
at level five; Onlookers, besides those he chooses, must succeed on a DC=Master level+Charisma modifier+10 or be fascinated, Dazed, or Frightened depending on the Master's whims.

The "onlookers" part confuses me. Is this effect within aura range? Is it a gaze attack? Does this save reapply every round to enemies? And when do the enemies (rather, people the master does not choose) that fail this become un-fascinated, un-dazed, or un-frightened?

Also, I assume this is a will save. The save is not specified.

Master's Touch:
Master can, with a touch, crush ones will. On a failed will save vs DC 15 +Charisma mod, +masters level, the Master can render the subject Helpful, and as if under the effect of Dominate Monster.

Is this spell-like, supernatural, or extraordinary? Also, what is the duration of this dominate monster effect? (I also think you may have to specify a CL, but I am unfamiliar with that part of the rules.)

Cipher Stars
2011-05-24, 06:15 PM
Fixed (?)

Welknair
2011-05-24, 06:46 PM
The Charisma bonus seems a bit much. Imagine a Sorcerer becoming a Master. Though the Master has no casting progression, a 1-level dip for the +2 would be well worth it.

What kind of character would become a Master? What classes would be good for entrance? I'm not sure how this would be worked into a build. As mentioned above, the bonus to Charisma is massive, but without a casting progression it can't be used to full effect. Similarly, the wimpy HD and 3/4 BAB don't do much for combat. So the result really is just that the Master hides behind is wall of SUper Maids.

And there is no "Seduction" skill. I think it falls under the purview of the all-powerful Diplomacy.

Glimbur
2011-05-24, 06:58 PM
There are ways to hit people with your... Cha score. Smites, Gloves of Heartfelt Blows, Slippers of Battledancing... and Divine Shield and maybe being a Gloura (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) to get all that Cha defensively as well.

At will Dominate Monster on touch at DC 18+ Cha(twice Cha at level 11) + more as levels come in is... excessive at level 10. Without this feature it is about the auras and the Maids.

The auras are... of varying power. The speed boost aura is pretty useless, the buff auras are too good because they are untyped, and the offensive auras are quite strong.

The bonus feats feel lazy and not on theme.

Overall, it doesn't seem like a concept that needs a PrC to support it. One can have a maid (or a Maid) without investing class levels in it. Improving the ability to have Maids in your service could be a feat.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-24, 07:14 PM
The Charisma bonus seems a bit much. Imagine a Sorcerer becoming a Master. Though the Master has no casting progression, a 1-level dip for the +2 would be well worth it.

What kind of character would become a Master? What classes would be good for entrance? I'm not sure how this would be worked into a build. As mentioned above, the bonus to Charisma is massive, but without a casting progression it can't be used to full effect. Similarly, the wimpy HD and 3/4 BAB don't do much for combat. So the result really is just that the Master hides behind is wall of SUper Maids.

And there is no "Seduction" skill. I think it falls under the purview of the all-powerful Diplomacy.

Your right. I'll switch the Bonus Feats and +abilities.

I didn't think of that (the What classes would most likely to apply as Masters)
Probably the Aristocrat for sure if they can meat the requirements. I can see powerful sorcerers taking master as they slide into retirement. Cleric/necromancers/blackguard/paladins Any class going for more control over others/things.
And as stated on the Maid thread, Super Maids are Super. being able to attract Maids (Which if put into a campaign, should be rare/uncommon/reserved for nobility)

Seduction is a homebew skill adding to the synchronization between the forces:
Fear (Intimidate), Trickery (bluff), Reason (Diplomacy), and Love/Lust (Seduction).

Bonus feats are not simple laziness on my part, I love bonus feats as they allow for character customization. Feats are really a big feature to molding a character concept you wish.

Eldest
2011-05-24, 08:42 PM
Fixed.

All maids are "Contract Bound" until level twenty, when they get "Master of Myself" as a class feature, even if they currently don't have a Master.

No, they can lose the contract, lose all class levels, (somehow) level and put that level in master, make a contract with herself/himself, and mess with your class. Just prohibit maids from taking the class.
And you were talking about the sorcerer/master in fluff, he was saying that the bonus to cha is strong enough somebody would take this class just to get that bonus. It's a balance thing.
And @the guy who though this wasn't worth a class: hush. He can make what he wants. And that's why you suggest improvements instead of saying it should never have happened.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-25, 02:21 AM
That doesn't really make sense.
But using weird logic in return, You'd still be bound by contract wouldn't you? Just to yourself rather then someone else.

Eldest
2011-05-25, 12:13 PM
Yes, but bound to yourself just mean the maid needs to obey him/herself. Which is basicaly the same as being free. Plus, she can subcontiously use the limited wish/wish. It's just a safeguard to avoid munchkins, and it makes some sense in the fluff: is an anime maid ever a master?
Edit: you also need to add a thing saying something along the lines of: the master is never allowed to gain class levels in maid.
As written this allows you to be a sorc. or something untill you have the prerequisites, then take a level in master, then become a maid.
What I'm afraid of is a maid being bound to herself, becoming free, and so sort of ruining all the thought you put into the class balancing.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-25, 12:36 PM
In there own ways yes.
And you can use Limited Wish for yourself at level 20 anyway.
And I really don't get this drop class levels and become master, Your not a maid then are you?

Edit: A free Maid is a useless Maid. I don't mind a LV 20 Master of Myself Maid becoming a Master, thats why I said the not bound by contract restriction. If your bound, you can't Master out. But I'm not worried anyway. There are master-like Maids out there that boss everyone around. Even their masters at times (But not to the extent it "Goes against" them)

Eldest
2011-05-25, 03:32 PM
There are two ways to become a free maid that I see:
Be a maid, break your contract. Then level up, and gain a level in master. Then make a contract with yourself. You are now free.
Be a master. Gain a level in maid, make a contract with yourself. You are now a free maid.
Both are free maids under contract, so they can use all the maid abilities.
Now I'll shut up about it. It's really just a minor thing. The classes are cool, flavorful, and not broken. Congrats.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-25, 03:44 PM
There are two ways to become a free maid that I see:
Be a maid, break your contract. Then level up, and gain a level in master. Then make a contract with yourself. You are now free.
Be a master. Gain a level in maid, make a contract with yourself. You are now a free maid.
Both are free maids under contract, so they can use all the maid abilities.
Now I'll shut up about it. It's really just a minor thing. The classes are cool, flavorful, and not broken. Congrats.

You wouldn't need to level as a Master to become a master for that. But I wouldn't allow it personally, as DM. It shatters most Flavor.

Eldest
2011-05-25, 03:48 PM
*blink*
Wow, I feel pretty stupid. You don't even...
D'oh.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-25, 03:51 PM
Well, if you wanted to become a Maid, you wouldn't be thinking like that anyway either, so... Roleplay reasons prevent that as well. Most the time at least.