PDA

View Full Version : Spell Sharing (Sorcerer/Wizard ACF & Feat) PEACH

Zaydos
2011-05-24, 04:37 AM
Okay, suffering insomnia right now so making an ACF/feat for wizards and sorcerers. Tell me which version is a better idea, and if both are broken or not.

Spell Bond ACF

Class: Adept, Hexblade, Sorcerer, Wizard.
Level: Adept 2, Hexblade 4, Sorcerer 1, Wizard 1.
Replaces: Familiar.
Benefit: With a 24 hour magical ritual, which expends costly incenses and reagents worth 100 GP, you can create a spell bond between you and one other creature, which will here after be refered to as the bonded creature. You may only have 1 bonded creature at a time. This spell bond grants the following abilities:

Share Spells (as familiar but reprinted from the SRD with certain words replaced):
At your option, you may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) you cast on himself also affect the bonded creature. The bonded creature must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the bonded creature if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the bonded creature again even if it returns to you before the duration expires. Additionally, you may cast a spell with a target of "You” on his bonded creature (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

You and the bonded creature can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the bonded creature’s type (i.e. Enlarge Person on a bonded dragon).

When you reach 3rd level the bonded creature may deliver touch spells as a familiar.

When you reach 7th level in the class you may communicate telepathically with the bonded creature out to 100-ft.

Spell Bond (Feat)

Prerequisite: Arcane Caster Level 3rd, Knowledge (Arcana) 5 ranks.
Benefit: With a 24 hour magical ritual, which expends costly incenses and reagents worth 100 GP, you can create a spell bond between you and one other creature, which will here after be refered to as the bonded creature. You may only have 1 bonded creature at a time. This spell bond grants the following abilities:

Share Spells (as familiar but reprinted from the SRD with certain words replaced; this is identical to the above):
At your option, you may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) you cast on himself also affect the bonded creature. The bonded creature must be within 5 feet at the time of casting to receive the benefit.

If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the bonded creature if it moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the bonded creature again even if it returns to you before the duration expires. Additionally, you may cast a spell with a target of "You” on his bonded creature (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

You and the bonded creature can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the bonded creature’s type (i.e. Enlarge Person on a bonded dragon).

Bestowed Spell (Metamagic)

Prerequisites: Diplomacy 3 ranks.
Benefit: A Bestowed Spell has a range of touch, SR Yes, and only affects willing creatures. This feat only affects spells with a range of Personal. A Bestowed Spell uses a spell slot of two levels higher than its normal level.
And because it was another idea I had.

Versatile Memory (Feat)

Prerequisites: Ability to cast 3rd level arcane spells, Knowledge (Arcana) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.
Benefit: 3 times per day. As a swift action you may sacrifice an arcane spell you have prepared to prepare an extra copy of any lower level arcane spell you have prepared. For example a wizard has Lesser Orb of Cold prepared once, and Scorching Ray prepared once (suboptimal I know) and is confronted by fire elementals; they could use this feat to replace Scorching Ray with a second Lesser Orb of Cold.

Blood_caller
2011-05-24, 05:52 AM
so what you could use Spell Bond on another player?

Bestowe spell should be +2 in my oppenion the reason that spells that have range personel is often becaus they could be used to make other classes/builds go overdrive if able to cast on them

AugustNights
2011-05-24, 11:58 AM
Hmmm, For the same effects as the Spell Bond ACF/Feat, I usually require a Prestige Class. Actually a prestige class taken by the Bonded, and not the binder. This seems to be aimed at allowing players to choose players, cohorts, animal companions, or special mounts as familiars... Which is usually a prestige class deal. I'm going to say it encourages teamwork between PCs and encourages multi-classing, maybe not overpowered, but I wouldn't allow it at my table.

Maybe as a feat with a prerequisite of CL 5+, that would set it on par with the various prestige classes, or at least a little before them, that allow Familiar mixing.

Bestowed Spell: I think +2 levels may be enough, maybe +3... though that's a bit heavy. Think about it this way. True Strike, and now you can give that to your Charger who will use it to compensate for power-attack. Most Personal spells become very powerful in the hands of non-casters.

Versatile Memory: Makes spontaneous summoning, healing, and thematic spontaneous feats look rather worthless, when they are quite useful. At minimum I'd throw a "Of the same school" clause on that. But probably wouldn't allow it before 10th level, just so the other feats and abilities seem more appetizing.

Just my 2 wooden nickels.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-24, 01:24 PM
Spell Bond might be way too powerful. To share, that is double, spells the spellcaster uses is a lot of power. It's one thing for a familiar to get a spell, but it's a lot more powerful if it's something else. It's one thing for the toad in your pocket to share a Mind Blank spell, but quite another if the shared creature is a fighting character.

The feat is even worse as it does not cost anything.

Bestowed Spell might be ok, but messing around with spell ranges can be a problem. A lot of powerful spells effect only the caster on purpose.

Versatile Memory is too good. One of the limits on spellcasters is their selected spells. To let a spellcaster do this an unlimited number of times per day is going to be very unbalanced. This feat could work with some strong limits, but not just 'switch around all your spells at will'.

Zaydos
2011-05-25, 01:09 AM
Toad in pocket? Polymorph means that toad is a fighting character already. Although using it on the fighter probably still is stronger due to feats and better BAB.

Made Versatile Memory 3/day. Also remember unlike Spontaneous Divination/Summoning it has 2 limitations: 1 you have to have a copy of the spell memorized which means you have to know you need 2 copies before you use the first one, and 2 it means giving up a higher, instead of same level, spell slot.

Made Bestowed Spell add +2 levels. The True Strike example isn't the best since even on a fighter True Strike is worse than Greater Magic Weapon or Greater Mighty Whallop (technically it's ~x3-4 the damage, but one attack instead of all attacks for several hours, and only if you aren't already using power attack and are making a single attack as opposed to a full-round attack), but Wraith Strike is where it gets good.

These were mostly ideas I had at 5 AM when I couldn't sleep.

Awun
2011-07-15, 02:21 PM
I think there was something like your "Spell Bond" feat in the Wheel of Time RPG.