PDA

View Full Version : Inkscape help.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-05-25, 10:49 PM
Okay, so I finally downloaded Inkscape, and right when I go to try it out, I have problems.

I can't get any tools to work. At all. No lines or shapes or anything.

Unless I plug in a normal mouse. See, I use a pen tablet for everything, so that's what I ave in now. And Inkscape doesn't want to work with that.

But, when I plug in a normal mouse, it works fine with that mouse.

So, anybody got any ideas on how to fix this? I'd much rather use my pen tablet than a mouse for this stuff.

Savannah
2011-05-26, 04:14 AM
Hail, fellow tablet-with-Inkscape user. What you want to do is go up to File -> Input devices. Make sure that your pen is what's selected, and make sure that it's set to "screen" or "window" instead of "disabled". My copy of Inkscape never liked my tablet and sometimes wouldn't save the "screen/window" setting so make sure it does change it. I got it to work for a while, then had to reinstall Inkscape, and discovered it would make me set it every single time I opened Inkscape :smallsigh: So you may or may not need to do it repeatedly.

KerfuffleMach2
2011-05-26, 07:43 PM
Hail, fellow tablet-with-Inkscape user. What you want to do is go up to File -> Input devices. Make sure that your pen is what's selected, and make sure that it's set to "screen" or "window" instead of "disabled". My copy of Inkscape never liked my tablet and sometimes wouldn't save the "screen/window" setting so make sure it does change it. I got it to work for a while, then had to reinstall Inkscape, and discovered it would make me set it every single time I opened Inkscape :smallsigh: So you may or may not need to do it repeatedly.

Awesome. Soon as I get home, I'll try it out. Figured it was some kind of communication problem. Thought I would have to reinstall the drivers for it or something.

Update - Awesome, it worked! Thanks a bunch!

ImaginaryGirl
2011-05-28, 02:54 AM
Hmm. this is good to know, although I never had the problem. Truth to tell, I mostly use it to convert my line art into vectors, then back to a bitmap.

Circuitous, I know, but it really helps to clean it up!

Mauve Shirt
2011-05-28, 11:08 AM
I find my tablet only works with Inkscape if I plug it in and get it started before I open up Inkscape.