PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Water spells

Cipher Stars
2011-05-27, 08:45 PM
Anyone post their water spells... I want a water based sorcerer. I'll also be making water spells here. As far as I can tell. the only water spells are "Control Water" "Create water" and "Boiling sphere"...
Also, anyone have rules for flash floods? I created an epic "Tsunami" spell ages ago and had to wing it for the flash flood effect... I don't mean a foot of water or anything, I mean a good wall of water at least five feet high.

Oceans Spite
Evocation [Water, Teleportation]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 40-ft diameter, / 80ft radius.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

Caster creates a sphere of freezing water forty feet in diameter. The sphere is of swirling high speed currents, and is pressurized as if from a depth of caster level x100 feet. A gravitational effect attempts to suck in all within 40 ft around the sphere, and keep those that are already captured in requiring a fortitude save to withstand the pull.
The water itself has a DC 15 Swim check or a DC 20 Strength check.
At the moment of casting, it requires a Reflex save, on a fail they take
1d6 points of nonlethal damage from hypothermia per minute of exposure.
it deals water pressure damage of 1d6 points per minute from the high pressure for every 100 ft of depth.
and 1d3 points of nonlethal damage per round from the thrashing waters.

On a sucessful reflex save, their only subject to the freezing damage from brief contact from the water. Though they're still subject to the gravity.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-27, 08:59 PM
So is this spell cast on creatures, so they are trapped within the watery sphere, or do you just cast it near creatures?

Why is some of the damage 'per minute' if the spell has a duration of 'Instantaneous'?

The gravitational effect is a bit vague...is it fort save or fall towards the water? And if you do fall/pulled into the water do you still get a reflex save?

20d6+ pressure damage is a lot for a 5th level spell(plus 1d6 nonlethal?)

Wyntonian
2011-05-27, 09:28 PM
The range.... It says 40 ft diameter/ 80 ft radius.... how does that work? I think you might have those mixed up.

bloodtide
2011-05-27, 09:32 PM
Some Water Spells FYI:

Stormwrack:Airy Water, Blackwater Taint, Control Currents, Depthsurge, Maelstrom, Pressure Sphere, Sink, Swim, Water to Acid, Waterspout, Wave Blessing.

Spell Compendium:Inky Cloud, Amorphous Form, Primal Form, Wall of Water, Extract Water Elemental, Elemental Body, Summon Elemental Monolith.

Amorphous form is fun...you polymoprh into a puddle. And primal form and elemental body turn you in to elementals.

Cipher Stars
2011-05-27, 10:05 PM
So is this spell cast on creatures, so they are trapped within the watery sphere, or do you just cast it near creatures?

Why is some of the damage 'per minute' if the spell has a duration of 'Instantaneous'?

The gravitational effect is a bit vague...is it fort save or fall towards the water? And if you do fall/pulled into the water do you still get a reflex save?

20d6+ pressure damage is a lot for a 5th level spell(plus 1d6 nonlethal?)

You just cast it on a space.
the Per minute is simply because this spell isn't anything original. All it does is create a sphere that mimics the effects of deep water. see "Water dangers" or something like that and you'll see its exactly the same. minus the gravity of course. but all that does is pull them into the sphere. the sphere is more like a dislocated spatial effect, a little bubble thats connected to somewhere in the ocean.
You make the reflex before the fortitude to resist the gravity.
Where do you get 20d6+ from. You wont get that for at least ten more levels when a sorcerer would get this spell. And then, thats not directly because of the mage, thats just the effect...

The range.... It says 40 ft diameter/ 80 ft radius.... how does that work? I think you might have those mixed up.

No. No I didn't.
the sphere takes up 40 ft. the gravity takes up 80ft, including the 40ft inside the sphere.

Gamer Girl
2011-05-27, 10:40 PM
You just cast it on a space.
the Per minute is simply because this spell isn't anything original. All it does is create a sphere that mimics the effects of deep water. see "Water dangers" or something like that and you'll see its exactly the same. minus the gravity of course. but all that does is pull them into the sphere. the sphere is more like a dislocated spatial effect, a little bubble thats connected to somewhere in the ocean.
You make the reflex before the fortitude to resist the gravity.
Where do you get 20d6+ from. You wont get that for at least ten more levels when a sorcerer would get this spell. And then, thats not directly because of the mage, thats just the effect...

But the spell duration is instantaneous, so how can it effect things minutes later? The sphere of water forms, effects everyone, and fades away, right?

A spell with two saves..the fort vs the gravity and the ref vs the water effect is not such a good idea.

The damage is 1d6 per 100 feet, and you get 100 feet per caster level. And it is 'directly' from the magic if they are using their caster level to make a greater spell effect.

bloodtide
2011-05-27, 11:12 PM
Huum, I tried a quick rewrite of the spell, if you like it:

Depth of the Oceans
Evocation [Water, Teleportation]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Body of water 40-ft. radius, 40 ft. high
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude half(see text)

This spell creates a body of dark, churning, freezing water teleported from the depths of the ocean. The body of water forms suddenly at the end of the spellcasting, engulfing all those within the area of effect. A fortitude save can resist the sudden effect of the body of water forming around a creature, by they are still inside the body of water.

The water is pressurized as if from a depth of caster level x100 feet and this does water pressure damage of 1d6 points from the high pressure for every 100 ft of depth. The water is also very cold dealing 1d6 points of nonlethal damage from hypothermia. A fortitude save half's the pressure damage and negates the hypothermia nonlethal damage.

A character inside of the body of water is blind and face the possibility of drowning if they require air. A character in the body of water can attempt to swim or walk out of the area of effect, but the churning water has a DC of 15 for a Swim check or a DC 20 Strength check to move. Failure keeps the character in place.

Every round a creature remains within the body of water, they take 2d6 points of damage from the churning water(Fort save for half damage)unless they make a Swim check of DC 25 that negates all the damage.

At the end of the spell duration the water is teleported back to the ocean it came from.

Material Components-A drop of sea water and a bit of sand or silt, both from a spot in an ocean of a depth of at least 500 feet.

Lore:This spell was created by the green dragon Aullellexintial well over a century ago to give land walkers a taste of what it's like in the oceans depths. Aullellexintial was quite fond of casting this spell on sailors that dared to enter her domain, though it has been decades since there has been a report of this. With in the last season the aquatic elf, Delbroi of the Dark Water has started to use this spell in combat and he has made an effort to sell the spell for items he needs from time to time.

wyrmsbane2
2011-05-27, 11:43 PM
there is a Tsunami spell for druids in the spell compendium that you could make a sorcerer spell.

these spells are from complete mage:

HEART OF WATER
Transmutation [Water]
Level: Druid 3, sorcerer/wizard 3, wu
jen 3 (water)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level (D) or until
expended

The crashing of waves echoes in your ears.
This spell converts part of your body into
elemental water, which makes you better
able to navigate aquatic environments
and slip through confined spaces. You
gain a swim speed equal to your land
speed, which grants you certain benefits
(including a +8 racial bonus on Swim
checks; see MM 311). You also gain the
ability to breathe water (as if under the
effect of a water breathing spell). Finally
you gain a +5 enhancement bonus on
Escape Artist checks.
Furthermore, while this spell is active,
you can activate a freedom of movement
effect (as the spell) on yourself as a swift
action. This benefit lasts for 1 round
per level, at the end of which time the
spell's entire effect ends.
if heart of water is active on you at the
same time as heart of air, heart of earth, or
heart of fire, you gain light fortification.
If all four of these spells
are active on you at the same
time, you become immune to
extra damage from critical hits
and sneak attacks.

JET OF STEAM
Evocation [Water]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 1, wu jen 1
(water)
Range: 30 ft.
Area: 30-ft. line
Your hand is suddenly covered in warm
condensation as a jet of burning steam
bursts from your finger.
You release a powerful jet of superheated
steam that deals ld4 points of fire damage
per caster level (maximum 5d4) to
each creature within its area. The jet
begins at your fingertips.
The jet of steam deals no damage to
objects in its path, nor can it set fire to
combustibles.

TORRENT OF TEARS
Enchantment (Compulsion)
[Mind-Affecting]
Level: Bard 2, sorcerer/wizard 2, wu
jen 2 (water)
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature
Duration: 5 rounds
Saving Throw: Will negates
Tears pour from the subject's eyes, and his
body is wracked with sobs.
You force the subject to cry by drawing
forth the water of his tears. For the duration
of the spell, the subject is sickened
and blinded; a successful Will save
negates the effect.
Material Component: A
single tear.

deuxhero
2011-05-28, 10:33 AM
For the new version, there is no max damage listed, but as that's one of the reason why blasting sucks, so not a real issue.

bloodtide
2011-06-03, 03:36 PM
Water Blast
Evocation [Water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Range: special
Area: 10' radius + 10'/2 levels centred on caster (see text)
Saving Throw: None

This spell causes a wave of pure elemental water to emanate from the caster. The blast knocks people back, sending them flying through the air to land prone at the edge of the spell radius (maximum 60'). For every 10' traveled, the target takes a base 1d8 bludgeoning damage, though additional damage may apply, at the discretion of the DM, if the target strikes other objects (eg is thrown at a wall of spikes).
The caster may vary this spell by spending some of the spell radius on a 'safe area' around her position. For example, if the radius is 30', the caster may designate the first 10' as safe. Anybody within the first 10' will not be targeted by the spell. Anyone beyond 10' will then be thrown back to a position 30' from the caster, flying a maximum of 20' in the process.

The material component is a drop of water.

ScionoftheVoid
2011-06-05, 12:37 PM
Only spells with the Water descriptor at time of preparation (rather than after casting, due to how Summoning spells add descriptors based on what they summon) are Create Water, Control Water and Water Walk (Water Walk doesn't even affect the water, it just makes you float above the ground! What the Nine Hells, WotC?!). There is a rather serious deficiency of water-based spells. Particularly for Clerics. For some reason you'll find numerous water spells on both the Sorc/Wiz and Druid list but not on the Cleric list. And then every single water-based special ability granted by everything is breathing underwater. If you're lucky you'll find a walking on water one, but mostly it's just massive water-breathing redundancy.

So, now that that's out of my system, how about this?

Wellspring of Life
Conjuration (Healing) [Water]
Level: Cleric 4, Druid 5, Sorcerer/Wizard 5
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: 1 Standard action
Range: Medium (100ft+10ft/level)
Effect: A wellspring of water imbued with positive energy
Area: 30ft radius spread
Saving Throw: Will half (harmless), Reflex negates (see text)

You feel your heartbeat, perfectly in time with the movements of your hands as the spell's power flows through you. As you shatter the vial to complete the spell you experience a tingling throughout your body, leaving you pleasantly refreshed, as if by a cool drink on a hot day.

Water laced with positive energy bursts from an area you designate, filling the a 30ft radius. Whilst the water is real and could theoretically drown those caught in the area, the spell usually does not last long enough to do so. Living creatures in the area heal 1d8 points of damage per round, as well as gaining fast healing equal to half of this spell's caster level (round down) for the duration (which persists after leaving the area). Undead in the area take 1d8+level damage every round (Will save half), in addition to another affect. Whilst most creatures can easily withstand the water's sudden appearance, undead weakened by the positive energy can be crushed under it. Any undead in the area of the spell when it is cast must make a Reflex save or fall prone.

Arcane Material Component: A small vial of springwater.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-06, 05:44 PM
Wellspring of life should not be a arcane or druid spell. Arcane spells don't normally do healing and positive energy effects and more damage vs undead. And druids don't do a lot of healing or effects vs undead.

And a 30 feet of water 'filling' radius for 5 + rounds won't be around long enough to drown someone?

And if the spell 'creates' water, it should have the [Creation] tag.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-06, 05:47 PM
And a 30 feet of water 'filling' radius for 5 + rounds won't be around long enough to drown someone? .

Well, for me It would take 20+ rounds. I can hold my breath for 2-4 minutes.
1 round - 6 seconds.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-06, 06:10 PM
Well, for me It would take 20+ rounds. I can hold my breath for 2-4 minutes.
1 round - 6 seconds.

In Core D&D you can hold your breath a number of rounds equal to twice your con score(per the DMG). Stormwrack has it at only one round per con point has reduces the time if you take actions.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-06, 06:16 PM
In Core D&D you can hold your breath a number of rounds equal to twice your con score(per the DMG). Stormwrack has it at only one round per con point has reduces the time if you take actions.

So by storm wrack the average person can hold their breath for 10 rounds, or one minute.
I don't think anyone will drown in that time will they? :smallconfused:

ScionoftheVoid
2011-06-07, 01:54 PM
I hammered it out in less than ten minutes, it's nowhere near perfect. I have stuff to do at the moment, but I'll change it at some point. Also, Creation is a subschool, not a descriptor. Being unsure as to whether or not a spell can have more than one subschool, I just gave it Healing.

Also, average people have Con scores of ten or eleven, so you start to drown commoners at level eleven or twelve using the shorter time for holding breath. With the longer time you'd have to hit Epic first. And that's just Commoners being assumed unlucky enough to fail the first Con check, I don't think drowning will come up unless it was already an issue.

137beth
2011-06-07, 05:25 PM
Here are a few new ones, I'm not quite sure what level they should be (PEACH):

Crushing Water
Evocation (water)
Level:Sor/Wiz 3, Cl 3, rgr 3, drd 3
Components: V,S
Range: Medium (100 ft.+10 ft/level)
Target: Sphere with 20 ft. radius
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: no (object)
Effect: Water in the targeted area compresses momentarily. This forces the lungs of any creature in the area to compress, leaving no room for air. This affects any creature in the area trying to hold its breath. If a creature in the effected area fails its fortitude save, the contents of its lungs are expelled. It immediately must begin making constitution saves to avoid drowning. A creature already out of breath must make subsequent Constitution check against a DC 5 higher than it would otherwise be.
Even if a creature in the affected area makes their Fortitude save, they suffer half of the normal effect: A creature holding their breath loses half of their maximum lung capacity (using normal rules, they effectively lose a number of turns equal to their constitution score). A creature already out of breath must make subsequent con checks against a DC 2 higher than they otherwise would.
Any part of the targeted area not filled with water is unaffected.

Tricky Swimming
Transmutation (water)
Level:Sor/Wiz 2, Cl 2, rgr 2, drd 2
Range: Medium (100 ft.+10 ft/level)
Target: One creature, must be partially in water
Saving throw: none
Spell Resistance: yes
Effect: The water around the targeted creature becomes unusually difficult to maneuver in. The creature's base swim speed is reduced by 25 ft. If this reduces its swim speed to 0, it loses its swim speed and the benefits this gives. If the creature's swim speed is reduced below 0, it instead gets a -1 penalty to swim checks per foot below 0 swim speed it has (treat creatures without a base swim speed as having swim speed 0 for this purpose).

Difficult Swimming
Transmutation (water)
Level:Sor/Wiz 4, Cl 4, rgr 4, drd 4
As tricky swimming, but the creature loses 50 ft of swim speed.

Greater Difficult Swimming
Transmutation (water)
Level:Sor/Wiz 6, Cl 6, drd 6
As tricky swimming, but the creature loses 100 ft of swim speed.

Impossible Swimming
Transmutation (water)
Level:Sor/Wiz 8, Cl 8, drd 8
As tricky swimming, but the creature loses 200 ft of swim speed.

Extract Air
Transmutation (water)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Cl 3, rgr 3, drd 3
Range:Medium (100 ft.+10 ft/level)
Target:40 ft. radius sphere
Saving Throw: reflex partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: no (object)
Duration: 1 minute/level
Effect: The air normally dissolved in water in the effected area is transported elsewhere. Creatures that can breathe underwater but require air to survive (e.g. fish) cannot breathe. Because they were not expecting to have to hold their breath, they might release half of their lung capacity before realizing the spell was cast (creatures in the area when the spell was cast can hold their breath only half as long as normal, unless they make a reflex save. Creatures who swim into the affected area after the spell takes effect can hold their breath for their normal maximum time.)
Creatures with no need for air (e.g. water elementals, or undead) are unaffected by this spell.

Design notes: So, the discussion about how long a commoner can hold their breath gave me the idea for the crushing water. The problem is that 99.999% of creatures you fight underwater will be able to breathe anyways (unless, of course, you create a huge pool of water around them, but that requires more spells to be expended). So why not take away their ability to breathe underwater? When balancing, keep in mind that a creature caught by Extract Air could easily evade drowning by swimming out of the air-less zone, so this is not nearly as OP as it initially seems.
Now, a combination of all three spells would trap any creature without air, which seems OP, but keep in mind that this requires expending three spells, AND it doesn't work against a large portion of opponents (undead, constructs, elementals, ect.), AND it requires the opponent to be underwater, so this combo isn't really game breaking.

Assisting Rain
Conjuration (creation) (water)
Components: V,S,F
Range: Close (25 ft.+5 ft/2 levels)
Target: Cylinder with 50 ft. radius, 100 ft. high
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: no
Effect: You create a rainstorm that boosts your allies while hindering your foes. The water swerves slightly in just the right way to help your attacks find their targets. You and all your allies in the rainstorm gain a +2 luck bonus to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks based on strength or dexterity. Similarly, any foes in the storm get a -2 luck penalty to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks based on strength or dexterity. A creature standing outside of the affected area that attacks into the storm gets the same bonus or penalty (if you shoot an arrow into the storm, the magic rain can still affect where the arrow lands). Because the spell does not actually target a creature, it does not allow for saving throws or spell resistance.
Creatures with the "fire" subtype are affected differently. Enemy fire creatures take the normal penalties, as well as taking 1d6 damage per round. Large or larger fire enemies that are only partially in the storm take only 1d3 damage per round. For ally fire creatures, there are two options:
Option 1: The fire ally gains the normal bonuses from the spell, but also takes 1d6 damage/round. Large or larger allies enemies that are only partially in the storm take only 1d3 damage per round.
Option 2: The spell's area of effect contains a "hole": the space extending in a sphere that extends 5 ft beyond the exterior of the fire creature in all directions (more specifically, consider the smallest sphere which completely contains the creature in question. The "hole" is a sphere with radius 5 ft. greater than the previously mentioned sphere.) The rain swerves to avoid the hole. Effectively, the fire creature (and any other creatures within 5 ft. of it) are outside the storm. The fire creature does not gain the luck bonus on skill checks, saving throws, or melee attacks. If the fire creature moves, the hole follows with it. If the fire creature makes a ranged attack (or melee attack with reach greater than 5 ft.) which targets another creature inside the storm, it follows the normal rules for attacking a creature in the storm (which, in this case, means the attack gets a +2 bonus).

When you cast this spell, you determine who is an enemy and who is an ally. For each fire ally, you can individually determine whether they are affected by option 1 or option 2. You can change these choices as a free action (but only on your turn).

PEACH!

Gamer Girl
2011-06-08, 01:28 AM
Crushing water does not really 'crush' anything. So maybe a different name would be better, even just 'weird' water or something. And a sphere that forces you to expel your air, sounds a bit clumsy. What does the water do 'punch' the creature in the stomach? This might work better as say 'Water Lungs' where you cast it on a set number of creatures and simply form a bit of water in their lungs, possibility forcing them to exhale.

Tricky, hard and impossible swimming could work nicely at say 2nd, 4th, 6th levels.

Extract Air is nice. Sounds more like a transmutation though. You don't want to 'teleport' the air away, just to make the water un-breathable sounds better. And it can work fine at 3rd level or 4th.

137beth
2011-06-08, 05:35 PM
@above: under high pressure (such as from water), a human's lungs will compress, leaving less room for air. Crushing water "crushes" enemies' lungs, effectively reducing their lung capacity. That's why it causes all enemies in the affected area to lose their air. I updated the spell description to make this clear.

Thanks for the advice on level. I decided to make extract air 3rd level, as it effectively counters Water Breathing.
For crushing water, I'm thinking level 2-3. Thoughts?

Also, I added a 4th level of the tricky swimming sequence.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-08, 10:16 PM
@above: under high pressure (such as from water), a human's lungs will compress, leaving less room for air. Crushing water "crushes" enemies' lungs, effectively reducing their lung capacity. That's why it causes all enemies in the affected area to lose their air. I updated the spell description to make this clear.

See that is the tricky part, you don't want the spell to just effect humans, right? But the spell is fine, it's just different flavor.

Thanks for the advice on level. I decided to make extract air 3rd level, as it effectively counters Water Breathing.

That's what I was thinking...

For crushing water, I'm thinking level 2-3. Thoughts?
Third looks good

Also, I added a 4th level of the tricky swimming sequence.

Looks good

DracoDei
2011-06-08, 10:53 PM
Well, this should be USEFUL (assuming you have some way of putting ranks in Swim), but if you think it doesn't fit the theme, then you probably are going to think it is absolutely contrary to the theme.

Original thread for this spell can be found HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142379). (so people can look at the discussion).

In this specific case, unless you have a native swim speed, it MIGHT be acceptable to drop this down to level 2.

Air Swim
Transmutation [Air, Water]
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Water 3
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (Harmless)

You may treat air as water for the purposes of movement(including the swim-by attack feat), allowing you to swim straight upwards, etc. this has no affect on your attacks (except as mentioned above) or respiration. If this spell ends (including if dispelled) you drop (unless another effect would prevent this), generally taking falling damage.

Also, to go with this, a feat, somewhat off the top of my head. HEre is a hombrew feat that specifically lets a waterbreathing creature breath air than substitute that for waterbreathing with the only differences being the name, the specific effect (which is all of one sentence) and the material component... I thought that waterbreathing already had a reversible casting mode to handle that sort of thing. As it is I suggest houseruling either the separate spell or the alteration I described. I would right up the spell, but I don't feel like digging out the template for spells just at the moment. Anyway... having rambled a bit, here is more actual homebrew...

Air Breathing
Transmutation [Air, Water]
Level: Clr 3, Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3, Air 3, Water 3 ((Yes I am expanding the domain spell lists... it hardly matters for such a utility spell that is either going to be vital or useless in a given campaign.))

As per Water Breathing except that it instead allows one or more water-breathing creatures to breath air and that the material component is 1 drop of unclotted blood smeared on each creature (the caster may prick his own fingers (or other part of his body if they lack fingers) as part of the same action as casting the spell to obtain this without inflicting any hitpoint damage or requiring a concentration check).

Watery Summons
Prerequisites:
Racial swim speed, but no racial land speed OR Water Domain OR the ability to Wildshape into a water elemental OR Ability to cast at least 5 arcane spells that ALWAYS (so not just when summoning [Water] type creatures or whatever) have the [Water] descriptor.
Abilty to cast Air Swim AND Air Breathing (replace all instances of the mention of this spell in this feat with Water Breathing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/waterBreathing.htm) if your GM allows Water Breathing to dual-function for allowing waterbreathing creatures to breath air)

Benefits: You may use spells to summon (such as with Summon Monster, and Summon Nature's Ally spells) sea-creatures that can not go on land (at least not noticeably better than an orca) into mid-air (including as low as 2 inches off the ground) within the range of the spell, provided you also can, at that time cast Air Swim. If the creature you are trying to summon can't breath air, then you must also similarly have Air Breathing available for casting. The additional spells required can and MUST be cast as an immediate action immediately after the summoning, and take effect on all the creatures you just summoned before the they can fall so much as an inch, let alone have trouble breathing. Ignore the range limits and/or the need to smear the blood on the recipients for Air Swim and Air Breathing for these purposes. If the summoning spell is wasted (such as if you fail a concentration check while casting) then the other spells involved are also wasted.

As an added bonus when using this feat the duration of your summon's is increased by 20%. Apply this effect after (and stacking mathmatically, rather than by the usual multiplication/stacking rules) all other duration increasers. For example an Extended (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#extendSpell) Summon Monster I spell cast by a 5th level sorcerer or wizard in conjunction with an Air Swim spell to summon a celestial porpoise would last 240% of the normal duration (NOT 220%) for a final duration of 12 rounds.
Normal: The restriction against summoning creatures into environments that can not support them prevents you from summoning most sea-life outside water.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-09, 10:33 PM
Watery Boots
Conjuration(Creation) [Water] [Curse]
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Wil neg.

This spell spell places a water curse on a single creatures feet and/or footwear. For every step they take they leave a small puddle of water where their foot/boot touched the ground. The small puddle is roughly the size of the foot/boot. The puddle is normal water and will be effect by normal environmental conditions. Those tracking a creature effected by this spell gain a -10 bonus to the DC to track the effected creature on hard ground(effectively making a hard floor a soft floor DC).

This spell was created to track foes indoors or in a city environment such as cobble stone streets. While the spell can be used elsewhere the effect can be less pronounced, granting only a -5 bonus to the track DC, in locations such as dense wood or grasslands or already wet land. The spell provides no bonus if the creature walks in water, such as a wet river bed.

Note:This spell, despite it's name, will effect the feet of a creature that does not wear boots.

The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Lore:This spell was created by the gnome detective guardsgnome Ellyissora Complantorrli to aid her in tracking criminals in the city of Urmlaspyr, Sembia in 1320 DR. She was quite proud of her spell and made several copies to sell.

Qwertystop
2011-06-11, 07:27 PM
I think Spell COmpendium has a spell that animates the water in someones body. It does damage, and if they die from the damage, then a water elemental rises from their corpse.

Owrtho
2011-06-11, 08:00 PM
Well, not skilled at making spells myself, but if it might work to make some damaging spells that are supposed to do so via cytolysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytolysis), given that in many cases it can be hard to come up with ways for water to hurt someone directly outside of freezing, boiling, or drowning.

Owrtho

bloodtide
2011-06-16, 03:42 PM
Buoy
Transmutation
Level: Clr 1, Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M /DF
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 15 minutes/level
Saving Throw: Wil neg.(harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

When this spell is cast the target is able to float effortlessly in a body of water, even if he is weighed down with armor and equipment that would normally drag him under. He can bear a weight up to a medium load, plus any additional small load he can keep afloat by swimming motions. He can swim at the normal rate, unless hindered by armor, and is not fatigued by the additional weight he is carrying.

The extra buoyancy has a drawback, however, in that any attempts to swim underwater require additional effort to stay under the surface. His movement rate while swimming underwater is half the normal amount.

Arcane Material Component: A piece of cork.

137beth
2011-06-18, 06:06 PM
Assisting Rain
Conjuration (creation) (water)
Components: V,S,F
Range: Close (25 ft.+5 ft/2 levels)
Target: Cylinder with 50 ft. radius, 100 ft. high
Effect: You create a rainstorm that boosts your allies while hindering your foes. The water swerves slightly in just the right way to help your attacks find their targets. You and all your allies in the rainstorm gain a +2 luck bonus to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks based on strength or dexterity. Similarly, any foes in the storm get a -2 luck penalty to attack rolls, saves, and skill checks based on strength or dexterity. A creature standing outside of the affected area that attacks into the storm gets the same bonus or penalty (if you shoot an arrow into the storm, the magic rain can still affect where the arrow lands). Because the spell does not actually target a creature, it does not allow for saving throws or spell resistance.
Creatures with the "fire" subtype are affected differently. Enemy fire creatures take the normal penalties, as well as taking 1d6 damage per round. Large or larger fire enemies that are only partially in the storm take only 1d3 damage per round. For ally fire creatures, there are two options:
Option 1: The fire ally gains the normal bonuses from the spell, but also takes 1d6 damage/round. Large or larger allies enemies that are only partially in the storm take only 1d3 damage per round.
Option 2: The spell's area of effect contains a "hole": the space extending in a sphere that extends 5 ft beyond the exterior of the fire creature in all directions (more specifically, consider the smallest sphere which completely contains the creature in question. The "hole" is a sphere with radius 5 ft. greater than the previously mentioned sphere.) The rain swerves to avoid the hole. Effectively, the fire creature (and any other creatures within 5 ft. of it) are outside the storm. The fire creature does not gain the luck bonus on skill checks, saving throws, or melee attacks. If the fire creature moves, the hole follows with it. If the fire creature makes a ranged attack (or melee attack with reach greater than 5 ft.) which targets another creature inside the storm, it follows the normal rules for attacking a creature in the storm (which, in this case, means the attack gets a +2 bonus).

When you cast this spell, you determine who is an enemy and who is an ally. For each fire ally, you can individually determine whether they are affected by option 1 or option 2. You can change these choices as a free action (but only on your turn).

I updated my first post to include this spell.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-18, 06:45 PM
Aqua Strike
Evocation [water]
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: long 400+50ft/level
Area: 15ft burst
Duration: instantaneous
You conjure a violent turning sphere of water that rockets toward a target exploding with an great force dealing 1d6 water (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11291734&postcount=44) damage per caster level (10d6 maximum). The Strike starts as a small sphere about 3 inches in diameter, though it can squeeze through smaller spaces of a CM or so for the first foot or so without triggering premature detonation.

Aqua Hammer
Evocation [water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Casting Time: standard action
Range: close 25+5ft/level
Area: single target
Saving Throw: fortitude partial
In a fierce motion you conjure a large twisting body of water that seems to follow your hand motions to strike the target with the brute force of crashing waves. make an attack roll for 1d8 wate (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11291734&postcount=44)r damage per caster level (15d8 max), double to [fire] creatures. They must make a fortitude save of be stunned by the force of the water for half caster level rounds.

Aqua Blitz
Evocation [water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Casting Time: standard action
Range: --
Area: Burst centered on you 10ft/caster level.
Saving Throw: reflex half
you create a swirling vortex of crushing water that swirls around you for a moment pushing away your enemies as they are pounded by the waves. they take 1d6 water (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11291734&postcount=44) damage per caster level and are forced out of the area of effect. if they succeed the reflex save they take half damage and are not pushed away. puts out all flame in area.

Deluge
Evocation [water]
Components: V,S,M
You conjure a swell of water directly above the target, 10ft per caster level, that falls in large drops that through arcane might are denser then normal. Drops fall each with they're own +caster level attack roll to hit (Caster level +1d20). on a hit they deal 1 water damage per 10ft fallen. On a miss, no further drops fall.

Naturally, this spell fails or is at least lessened if you cannot reach a required height.

Material component: Vial of Sea water.

Maelstrom
Evocation [water][ground]
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Range: long 400ft+50ft/level
Area: 20ft cylinder(down)
Duration:1 round/level
you conjure a violent swirling mass of water beneath the target that eats away at the ground as it violently jumps and propels itself toward the surface. Target takes 1d6 water damage per caster level from the water and falls in where they are trapped if they cannot get out. (climb check = 10 plus your caster level) the pit is 5ft down per caster level, and they may take falling damage accordingly and repeated damage from the water they are trapped with at a rate of 1d4/caster level per round they remain trapped.

Material: vial of sea water, pinch of dirt

Tempest
Evocation [water][electricity][air]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Casting Time: 2 rounds
Range: long 400ft+50ft/level
Area: 50ft cylinder
Saving Throw: reflex half
Creates a small tempest dealing 1d4 water damage from brutal crushing water, 1d4 slashing damage from razor winds, and 1d4 lightning damage from arcing lightning to all in area. Reflex save for half damage. Movement is halved, and visibility is reduced to zero (total concealment to everything but the ground in your square)

Material Components: vial of sea water, captured cloudstuff, 5cp

DracoDei
2011-06-18, 08:11 PM
I like it, and the image of someone accidently using it to try to aid a climb or balance check is funny. Balance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/balance.htm) would be effected by the "slightly slippery" condition at least, which increase the DC by 2 for a net gain of 0. I think Climb (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/climb.htm) is even worse by RAW since the only modifier for slipperiness there is a +5 to the DC. Come to that even Tumble (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/tumble.htm) has a +2 DC for a wet floor.

Hmmmm.... that means that for a significant number of skills (Tumble most importantly) it only gives a bonus if the surface is already wet or worse. I guess it isn't really mostly for the skill bonus (especially as a 4th level spell), but it is an... interesting point to note.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-19, 08:04 PM
Aqua Hammer
They must make a fortitude save of be stunned for half your caster level as rounds as they choke on water forced into they're lungs.

You might want to update this to ''stunned by the force of the water''. Water can well do this. In the good old days we used to put on a foam suit and stand in front of a net and then the fire department would blast you with the fire hose, sending you flying back a good ten feet...it was sooooooo much fun.

Deluge
You conjure a swell of water directly above the target, 10ft per caster level, that falls in large drops that through arcane might are denser then normal. Drops fall each with they're own +caster level attack roll to hit (Caster level +1d20). on a hit they deal 1d6 damage per 10ft fallen. On a miss, no further drops fall.

This is too powerful.....you don't want spell casters having a drop fall 1000 feet(100d6 damage). Even 500 feet(50d6) is way too much. You should cap the damage or get rid of the 'falling'.

Maelstrom

Is not exactly a 'maelstrom', it's more of a 'watery pit' so this could use a better descriptive name.

Tempest
Evocation [water][lightning][wind]

That's [Electricity] and [Air] for descriptors.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-19, 08:38 PM
This is too powerful.....you don't want spell casters having a drop fall 1000 feet(100d6 damage). Even 500 feet(50d6) is way too much. You should cap the damage or get rid of the 'falling'.

That would require caster level 100 -_- I'm all about high powered games and all, but 100? ouch. Most deities are level 40...

Gamer Girl
2011-06-22, 10:25 PM
Aqua Wave
Evocation(Water)
Level: Sor/Wis 6, Wu Jen 6 (water)
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line
Saving Throw: Reflex negates

The spell creates a shockwave of water that strikes through anything in it's path. Any creature caught in the path of the shockwave take 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 15d6 at 15th level) and creatures with the fire subtype take 50% more damage from the spell. The spell ignores hardness of earthen, stone and wood structures and can flow over, under, around any non magical barrier, even if the barrier withstands the attack. For example, the Aqua Wave can seep through a closed doorway and strike targets on the other side. If the target fails their reflex save, they must make a fortitude save or be knocked on the ground.

DracoDei
2011-06-22, 10:56 PM
Aqua Wave
Evocation(Water)
Level: Sor/Wis 6, Wu Jen 6 (water)
Range: 120 ft.
Area: 120-ft. line

The spell creates a shockwave of water that strikes through anything in it's path. Any creature caught in the path of the shockwave take 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 15d6 at 15th level) and creatures with the fire subtype take 50% more damage from the spell. The spell ignores hardness and passes through any non magical barrier, even if the barrier withstands the attack. If the target fails their reflex save, they must make a fortitude save or be knocked on the ground.

Wait... so this thing can somehow bypass solid stone walls?

Cipher Stars
2011-06-22, 11:03 PM

I think its more like it wraps around blockades, but wont escape out of a closed room for example.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-23, 12:17 PM

Well....yes, it's a wave of water after all. The idea is that as it's a wave of water it can leak through to the other side and reform. Guess I should word it better.

I like the image of say, someone closing a door to block the incoming wave and then having the water seep through the cracks and under the door, form back into the wave and still smash them....

DracoDei
2011-06-23, 01:26 PM
Ah... well I would put in some language about water-tightness negating this unless the damage changes that (by at least dealing half the barriers hp, which is also where it grants -2 to the break DC?) maybe...

Gamer Girl
2011-06-23, 07:46 PM
Ah... well I would put in some language about water-tightness negating this unless the damage changes that (by at least dealing half the barriers hp, which is also where it grants -2 to the break DC?) maybe...

Eh, I like to think that a magical wave of pure elemental water can get around 'normal and mundane' water protection. Some wax, pitch, tar or such won't stop this water....

Rayzin
2011-06-23, 08:32 PM
I really like the idea of water spells. I love naval campaigns.

The water is pressurized as if from a depth of caster level x100 feet and this does water pressure damage of 1d6 points from the high pressure for every 100 ft of depth. The water is also very cold dealing 1d6 points of nonlethal damage from hypothermia. A fortitude save half's the pressure damage and negates the hypothermia nonlethal damage.

Love the idea of the spell, unfortunately way overpowered. My main problem is "caster level x100 feet". I think theoretically when you cast this on someone they would black out instantly. If you cast this then cancel or negate it somehow to remove the water, any living thing inside that has gases in its body would die. People can suffer bleeding orifices and minor blackouts from being a few hundred feet down and rising to fast. If your caster level 11 and your putting someone down into 1100 feet water thats water with a pressure of 11 atm, or 11 times what air is. This is why divers take along time to surface or enter decompression chambers so their body can adjust to the gases. Thus the gases will compress when cast, and when you cancel it they will expand quickly and forcefully killing or at the very least causing you to black out.

Not related to the game but water cannot physically fall with that much force. It is not solid so first it will break up into tiny droplets and fall. And then secondly, water has a terminal velocity to. Lest the rain would kill us all should the first shower touch our fragile scalp.
So you cant make the water fall from a certain amount of feet, you can blast it out with a certain pressure though.

Is not exactly a 'maelstrom', it's more of a 'watery pit' so this could use a better descriptive name.
Why not a maelstrom? A Maelstrom is a vortex of water, a watery pit of swirling water is technically a maelstrom. Maelstrom=whirlpool, whirpool=water+vortex motion. Savy?

Cipher Stars
2011-06-23, 08:46 PM
Love the idea of the spell, unfortunately way overpowered. My main problem is "caster level x100 feet". I think theoretically when you cast this on someone they would black out instantly. If you cast this then cancel or negate it somehow to remove the water, any living thing inside that has gases in its body would die. People can suffer bleeding orifices and minor blackouts from being a few hundred feet down and rising to fast. If your caster level 11 and your putting someone down into 1100 feet water thats water with a pressure of 11 atm, or 11 times what air is. This is why divers take along time to surface or enter decompression chambers so their body can adjust to the gases. Thus the gases will compress when cast, and when you cancel it they will expand quickly and forcefully killing or at the very least causing you to black out.

I'm quite aware of this, but I don't think d&d physics work like that :smallwink:
I had to make the pressure like so because thats the main cause of damage I wanted from this spell, And according to the depth/pressure chart that progression I did was the only way to make workable damage.

Not related to the game but water cannot physically fall with that much force. It is not solid so first it will break up into tiny droplets and fall. And then secondly, water has a terminal velocity to. Lest the rain would kill us all should the first shower touch our fragile scalp.
So you cant make the water fall from a certain amount of feet, you can blast it out with a certain pressure though.

Yea, Thats why I thought I should mention that it IS "Magic" elemental water compelled by arcane force. But still, water's water.
I just don't get where Gamer's getting the numbers she is... How would you get it up 1000 feet? its 10/level, meaning at level Twenty you'd only have 200ft...

Rayzin
2011-06-23, 08:54 PM
I think she simply misunderstood. You could always just state that its 1d6 per caster level, or put a cap on it like 15d6 or something. It has to be justified as a 4th level slot when it seems to function almost the exact same as Aqua Strike.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-23, 09:02 PM
I really like the idea of water spells. I love naval campaigns.

Then you might like my Tentacle Spells thread as well, Though many seem to be taking it the wrong way they ARE serious spells. at least the ones I make there are.

I think she simply misunderstood. You could always just state that its 1d6 per caster level, or put a cap on it like 15d6 or something. It has to be justified as a 4th level slot when it seems to function almost the exact same as Aqua Strike.
Aqua Strike is a single solid hit. Deluge is many hits.

Aqua Strike
Evocation [water]
Area: 15ft burst
You conjure a violent turning sphere of water that rockets toward a target exploding with an empowered force dealing 1d6 water based bludgeoning damage per caster level (10d6 maximum) Deals double damage to [fire] creatures and puts out all flame in area. Aqua Strike can counter Fireball.

Deluge
Evocation [water]
You conjure a swell of water directly above the target, 10ft per caster level, that falls in large drops that through arcane might are denser then normal. Drops fall each with they're own +caster level attack roll to hit (Caster level +1d20). on a hit they deal 1 damage per 10ft fallen. On a miss, no further drops fall.

Material component: Vial of Sea water.

So at level 20 you could have infinite drops dealing 20 damage each until you miss or they die.

Rayzin
2011-06-23, 09:13 PM
Oooohhh, that sounds abit overpowered or not overpowered but VERY effective against low touch AC targets.
If you could nail one guy with a low touch AC that you know your never gonna miss, say 12 or 11, then you can put out your 9 damage per round for like 10 rounds before getting a 1 or something. And if your lucky alot more haha.

EDIT: Your tentacle thread makes me shudder."This magnificent tentacle is large, and on the outside appears to be a writhing mass of tentacles," "inserts itself into the body and immediately fills itself out". :smalleek:
EDIT2: Any tentacle wizards and sorcerers must have some kinky fetishes.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-23, 09:30 PM
Oooohhh, that sounds abit overpowered or not overpowered but VERY effective against low touch AC targets.
If you could nail one guy with a low touch AC that you know your never gonna miss, say 12 or 11, then you can put out your 9 damage per round for like 10 rounds before getting a 1 or something. And if your lucky alot more haha.

EDIT: Your tentacle thread makes me shudder."This magnificent tentacle is large, and on the outside appears to be a writhing mass of tentacles," "inserts itself into the body and immediately fills itself out". :smalleek:
EDIT2: Any tentacle wizards and sorcerers must have some kinky fetishes.

Touch AC? Its full AC unless you Hold them with something.
@Edit2: yes, yes I suppose I do. But they are serious spells not totally intended to be sexual but the last group I did was deliberately worded to have the possibility of being taken that way :P

bloodtide
2011-06-23, 11:29 PM

Are you saying it's over powered by real world physics? The D&D effects of deep water pressure(found in Stormwrack) are not so overpowered....1d6 damage per 100 feet plus a bit of hypothermia..all with a save. 1100 feet of water is not instant death in D&D....

Owrtho
2011-06-26, 06:14 PM
Well, I'm not particularly good at making spells, but I'll try making one.

Cytolysis damage type: Cytolysis damage, also known as pure water damage, is caused by water that is so pure it is harmful to touch, due to it flooding ones cells and causing them to rupture. The Plant and type grants immunity to cytolysis damage, while constructs, aquatic creatures, and amphibious creatures have cytolysis resistance equal to their hd (may be adjusted at dm discretion). The water subtype grants cytolysis resistance 10 unless the the creature also has the elemental type in which case it gains cytolysis immunity. The slime type and fire subtype grant cytolysis vulnerability. Being submerged in water or other fluids grants cytolysis resistance 2 as they dilute the purity.

Pure Water Sphere
Evocation [Water]
Level: Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: 5-ft.-diameter sphere
A burning globe of water rolls in whichever direction you point and washes over those it strikes. It moves 30 feet per round. As part of this movement, it can ascend or jump up to 30 feet to strike a target. If it enters a space with a creature, it stops moving for the round and deals 2d6 points of cytolysis damage to that creature, though a successful Reflex save negates that damage. A pure water sphere rolls over barriers less than 4 feet tall. It douses fires it touches the same as normal water would.

The sphere moves as long as you actively direct it (a move action for you); otherwise, it merely stays at rest. The surface of the sphere acts as a membrane allowing things to pass through it, so it does not cause damage except by cytolysis . It cannot push aside unwilling creatures or batter down large obstacles. A pure water sphere winks out if it exceeds the spell’s range.

Arcane Material Component
A bit of water, a piece of cloth.

Cone of Pure Water
Evocation [Water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Water 6
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Cone of pure water creates a spray of extremely pure water, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It is absorbed by cells causing them to rupture and dealing 1d6 points of cytolysis damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). This is able to put out fires in the spell area as if they were doused with normal water.

Water in a very small conical container.

Why yes, yes I did just reword a few spells to cause water damage rather than their previous damage type. It works. Now if I could just figure out how to balance a spell to let you over purify a supply of water to make it deal cytolysis damage...

Owrtho

137beth
2011-06-26, 06:34 PM

Cytolysis damage type: Cytolysis damage, also known as pure water damage, is caused by water that is so pure it is harmful to touch, due to it flooding ones cells and causing them to rupture. The Plant type grants immunity to cytolysis damage, while aquatic and amphibious creatures have cytolysis resistance equal to their hd (may be adjusted at dm discretion). The slime type and fire subtype grant cytolysis vulnerability. Being submerged in water or other fluids grants cytolysis resistance 2 as they dilute the purity.

Really great idea, but...you should probably add something about water elementals and similar creatures being immune.

Owrtho
2011-06-26, 06:59 PM
Really great idea, but...you should probably add something about water elementals and similar creatures being immune.

Good point. I forgot the water subtype. Added that it grants 10 resistance, though elementals with it gain immunity.

Owrtho

Cipher Stars
2011-06-26, 07:13 PM

Cytolysis damage type: Cytolysis damage, also known as pure water damage, is caused by water that is so pure it is harmful to touch, due to it flooding ones cells and causing them to rupture. The Plant type grants immunity to cytolysis damage, while aquatic and amphibious creatures have cytolysis resistance equal to their hd (may be adjusted at dm discretion). The water subtype grants cytolysis resistance 10 unless the the creature also has the elemental type in which case it gains cytolysis immunity. The slime type and fire subtype grant cytolysis vulnerability. Being submerged in water or other fluids grants cytolysis resistance 2 as they dilute the purity.

Pure Water Sphere
Evocation [Water]
Level: Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: 5-ft.-diameter sphere
A burning globe of water rolls in whichever direction you point and washes over those it strikes. It moves 30 feet per round. As part of this movement, it can ascend or jump up to 30 feet to strike a target. If it enters a space with a creature, it stops moving for the round and deals 2d6 points of cytolysis damage to that creature, though a successful Reflex save negates that damage. A pure water sphere rolls over barriers less than 4 feet tall. It douses fires it touches the same as normal water would.

The sphere moves as long as you actively direct it (a move action for you); otherwise, it merely stays at rest. The surface of the sphere acts as a membrane allowing things to pass through it, so it does not cause damage except by cytolysis . It cannot push aside unwilling creatures or batter down large obstacles. A pure water sphere winks out if it exceeds the spell’s range.

A bit of water, a piece of cloth.

Cone of Pure Water
Evocation [Water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Water 6
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Cone of pure water creates a spray of extremely pure water, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It is absorbed by cells causing them to rupture and dealing 1d6 points of cytolysis damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). This is able to put out fires in the spell area as if they were doused with normal water.

Water in a very small conical container.

Why yes, yes I did just reword a few spells to cause water damage rather than their previous damage type. It works. Now if I could just figure out how to balance a spell to let you over purify a supply of water to make it deal cytolysis damage...

Owrtho

I didn't know how I would have worded it, It didn't come to me in a burst of creativity like all my home brew is (So I just struck with bludgeoning for water, slashing for wind), But you just made a Water damage that perfectly matches what I see going through my mind when I think "water damage".

Owrtho
2011-06-26, 08:02 PM
I didn't know how I would have worded it, It didn't come to me in a burst of creativity like all my home brew is (So I just struck with bludgeoning for water, slashing for wind), But you just made a Water damage that perfectly matches what I see going through my mind when I think "water damage".

I know what you mean. I've always thought it was annoying that there wasn't just a water damage type, but most uses of water for damage (at least in the majority of existing spells) would be bludgeoning and slashing, making them no more water damage than normal weapons are wood or steel damage. So after thinking about it a while I remembered about water being able to rupture cells if it's too pure (the reason you shouldn't drink distilled water), and thought about making some spells that magically enhanced the waters purity to cause increase the effect. Then when I went to type it up for each one so just made it an actual water damage type like fire or cold (but for water).

Owrtho

Cipher Stars
2011-06-26, 10:09 PM
JET OF STEAM
Evocation [Water]
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 1, wu jen 1
(water)
Range: 30 ft.
Area: 30-ft. line
Your hand is suddenly covered in warm
condensation as a jet of burning steam
bursts from your finger.
You release a powerful jet of superheated
steam that deals ld4 points of fire damage
per caster level (maximum 5d4) to
each creature within its area. The jet
begins at your fingertips.
The jet of steam deals no damage to
objects in its path, nor can it set fire to
combustibles.

Scalding is a valid damage type that is really the only one that makes sense for this.

Owrtho
2011-06-26, 10:30 PM
Scalding is a valid damage type that is really the only one that makes sense for this.

Actually I'm not sure if there is a scalding damage type in d&d, though there is a heat damage type, I think it might generally be non-lethal as it is intended to represent things like hot environments rather than being used in spells (not that you couldn't just specify that it isn't in a given case).

Alternatively you could go with something like half fire, half cold or cytolysis to represent it being hot water (since most things that would be weak to water are weak to one of those, and things with immunity to one are usually vulnerable to the other, thus making it balance out).

Owrtho

Lix Lorn
2011-06-27, 02:33 PM
So after thinking about it a while I remembered about water being able to rupture cells if it's too pure (the reason you shouldn't drink distilled water), and thought about making some spells that magically enhanced the waters purity to cause increase the effect.
Uh. I like your stuff and all, but... wha? Can we get a citation on that? :smalleek:

Owrtho
2011-06-27, 02:47 PM
Uh. I like your stuff and all, but... wha? Can we get a citation on that? :smalleek:

Already linked to cytolysis. Can't find anything to link to on the drinking distilled water part, though I remember it being talked about in biology (note that drinking water wouldn't fall into this). Also it isn't likely to be overly harmful in most cases, though has been known to cause things like making ones kidneys more prone to rupture when hit (I remember my teacher mentioning it mainly in the context of boxing). On average though, it is unlikely to have an overly harmful effect.
However, this is D&D and magic can be used to enhance such things.

Well, not skilled at making spells myself, but if it might work to make some damaging spells that are supposed to do so via cytolysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytolysis), given that in many cases it can be hard to come up with ways for water to hurt someone directly outside of freezing, boiling, or drowning.

Owrtho

Cipher Stars
2011-06-27, 02:55 PM
I'll have to convert my other spells into Cytolysis... But it does need a better name metinks. It doesn't give the right image if you don't have a nice sciency background.

Gamer Girl
2011-06-27, 04:52 PM
Cytolysis damage type: Cytolysis damage, also known as pure water damage, is caused by water that is so pure it is harmful to touch, due to it flooding ones cells and causing them to rupture. The Plant and type grants immunity to cytolysis damage, while constructs, aquatic creatures, and amphibious creatures have cytolysis resistance equal to their hd (may be adjusted at dm discretion). The water subtype grants cytolysis resistance 10 unless the the creature also has the elemental type in which case it gains cytolysis immunity. The slime type and fire subtype grant cytolysis vulnerability. Being submerged in water or other fluids grants cytolysis resistance 2 as they dilute the purity.

I've always used Water as an energy/elemental damage type. So that you could cast Resist Energy Water. The idea is that an attack spell, like fireball, is not creating 'real' fire, it's just a magical effect that looks and acts like fire. I see water type spells the same way. not 'real' water, but a magically effect that looks and acts a lot like water. I even use the idea that some spells use evocation to project pure elemental water, that is harmful to all.

Plants, constructs and aquatic creatures should not have any special resistance to water damage just from their type. (even with your science view, water can rupture plant cells no problem, for example). Only creatures with a water subtype and some cases by case picks should get any kind of water resistance.

Qwertystop
2011-06-27, 05:32 PM
I'll have to convert my other spells into Cytolysis... But it does need a better name metinks. It doesn't give the right image if you don't have a nice sciency background.

Just call it water damage.

Owrtho
2011-06-27, 05:37 PM

Well, it does say in the first sentence that it's also called pure water damage, though as master256 suggested you could just call it water damage.

Owrtho

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-03, 08:25 PM
Crenation
Transmutation [Water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 level)
Target: One Creature (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous or 6 hours (see text)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial

If the target fails his fortitude save, all the water in the targets body is forcibly extracted. This causes all cells in the targets body to crenate, instantly killing him. After the spell is complete, all that remains is a pile of dust and bones. (A significant amount of this dust would be sufficient for a resurrection spell). This spell can only target creatures that have cells or have a large part of its body be water. Constructs, Non-Water Elementals and creatures with the Incorporal subtype are not valid targets for this spell.

If the target succeeds his save, he takes 1d6/2 level (max 20d6) damage as some of the water is extracted. If this damage reduces them to below -10 HP, they die as if they failed their save. They are stunned for 1d6 rounds and take 1d6 damage to all mental stats. In 6 hours, the target makes another fortitude save. If they succeed again, nothing happens, but if they fail they die as if they had failed the initial save. The target may gain a circumstance bonus or penalty based on how much they have rehydrated in the last 6 hours as described in the table below.

This spell can counter and negate Lysation. If this spell is cast on a target after being subjected to Lysation spell and they had succeeded their save, they suffer no more ill effects and do not need to make an additional save later but are not relieved of its instantaneous effects. This spell can be cast on the gooey pile of a target that failed its save against Lysation. If so, they are returned to life, with 2+con modifier per HD HP, and are affected as if they succeeded the initial save except they are stunned for 2d6 days, and take 2d6 damage to all mental stats and they do not need to make another save later. They lose all prepared spells, any efects on them are gone (unless they persist after death), and they lose a level as if they were restored by a Raise Dead store. If they die due to the damage taken, they do not lose a level unless they are revived by a Raise Dead or Resurrection spell.

If this spell targets an Ooze or an Elemental with the [Water] subtype and it fails its save, it decreases its size by one category and increases the DC of any EX abilty by 5. Changes to strength and dexterity as well as size bonuses/penalties are changed according to the targets new size category. If they succeeds its save, it is unaffected.

An extremely salty saltine

{table=head]Rehydratioin |Bonus/Penalty
Second Crenation |-10
Excessive Sweating |-2
Excessive Urination |-2
Consumed X ration of water| +2x (max 2)[/table]

Lysation
Transmutation [Water]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9,
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 level)
Target: One Creature (see text)
Duration: Instantaneous or 6 hours (see text)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial

If the target fails his fortitude save, an extreme quantity of water is infused into the targets body. This causes all cells in the targets body to lyse simultaneously, instantly killing him. After the spell is complete, all that remains is a gooey mess with bones mixed in. (A significant amount of this goo would be sufficient for a resurrection spell). Constructs, Non-Water Elementals and creatures with the Incorporal subtype are not valid targets for this spell.

If the target succeeds his save, he takes 1d6/2 level (max 20d6) damage as some water is infused into the targets body. If this damage reduces them to below -10 HP, they die as if they failed their save. They are stunned for 1d6 rounds and take 1d6 damage to all mental stats. In 6 hours, the target makes another fortitude save. If they succeed again, nothing happens, but if they fail they die as if they had failed the initial save. The target may gain a circumstance bonus or penalty based on how much they have re in the last 6 hours as described in the table below.

This spell can counter and negate Crenation. If this spell is cast on a target after being subjected to Crenation spell and they had succeeded their save, they suffer no more ill effects and do not need to make an additional save later but are not relieved of its instantaneous effects. This spell can be cast on the gooey pile of a target that failed its save against Crenation. If so, they are returned to life, with 2+con modifier per HD HP, and are affected as if they succeeded the initial save except they are stunned for 2d6 days, and take 2d6 damage to all mental stats and they do not need to make another save later. They lose all prepared spells, any effects on them are gone (unless they persist after death), and they lose a level as if they were restored by a Raise Dead store. If they die due to the damage taken, they do not lose a level unless they are revived by a Raise Dead or Resurrection spell.

If this spell targets an Ooze or an Elemental with the [Water] subtype and it fails its save, it increases its size by one category and decreaes the DC of any EX abilty by 5. Changes to strength and dexterity as well as size bonuses/penalties are changed according to the targets new size category. If they succeeds its save, it is unaffected.

A soaked Sponge

{table=head]Dehydration |Bonus/Penalty
Second Lysation |-10
Consumed X rations of water |-2x (max 2)
Excessive Sweating |+2
Excessive Urination |+2[/table]

The reason I included corporal as possible targets because while the cells are not neccisary to survive and function, they still must be reasonably like they were while alive as far as structure goes and these spells alter their structure by adding/removing water to the point of bursting/collapse. Please PEACH.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-03, 08:38 PM
I'd say those are more like level seven powers.
Due to restrictions and ability to resurrect the dead from it.

Also, Plants, Ooses, ect are all immune to precision damage yet should be highly effected by these powers. (turn a goo into a watery puddle, or essentially evaporate them, Shrivel plants to dust, or drown them (Surprisingly easy to do irl... :smallfrown: )

You might want to change it to read that it doesn't effect Constructs, Non water elementals, or otherwise incorporeal or ethereal creatures.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-03, 09:01 PM
I'd say those are more like level seven powers.
Due to restrictions and ability to resurrect the dead from it.

Also, Plants, Ooses, ect are all immune to precision damage yet should be highly effected by these powers. (turn a goo into a watery puddle, or essentially evaporate them, Shrivel plants to dust, or drown them (Surprisingly easy to do irl... :smallfrown: )

You might want to change it to read that it doesn't effect Constructs, Non water elementals, or otherwise incorporeal or ethereal creatures.

I thought about it affecting oozes and doing special things to them (Increase/decreasing size and Ex DC's) but thought it would over complicate things. I completly forgot Plants were immune to precision damage :smallredface:

It wouldn't affect non-water elementals though because, and correct me if I'm wrong, they don't have a cellular or watery basis and on that note it would affect water elementals in the same way it would affect Oozes.

On the topic of level, I made them 9 because even if the succeed they have significant penalties both short term and long term and a possiblity to fail and die again. The reviving from the dead part is situational at best and you must know if your opponent is using one spell and have/prepared the opposite (and at that point it would of been easier to just counterspell using either). And the reviving affect is still iffy as you take even worse penalties (being stunned for several days and massive damage to all mental stats) and may die AGAIN (though with no additional level lost) anyways.

But I'll make changes about what it affects and how it affects oozes/water elementals. Question, why would it not affect ethereal? They are on another plane of existence, but (unless they are also incorpral) have a body that could be affected (though you'd have to be ethereal too to target another ethereal creature). Phase spider comes to mind.

EDIT: Edits made. I was tossing around the idea of having expensive material components to make it less abusable. I as thinking of pound of special salt from the paraelemental plane of salt (worth 1000 gp) for Crenation and the corpse of a jellyfish from the elemental plane of water (also 1000 gp) what do you think?

Lix Lorn
2011-07-04, 06:36 PM
EDIT: Edits made. I was tossing around the idea of having expensive material components to make it less abusable. I as thinking of pound of special salt from the paraelemental plane of salt (worth 1000 gp) for Crenation and the corpse of a jellyfish from the elemental plane of water (also 1000 gp) what do you think?
Don't do that. Damaging spells do not need expensive components. Ever. These are weaker than disintegrate.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-04, 07:02 PM
Don't do that. Damaging spells do not need expensive components. Ever. These are weaker than disintegrate.

True. It deals less damage than Disintegrate on a successful save. But its a higher level spell and thus a higher DC and it has 2 chances to kill you outright. Disintegrate is a kill or massive damage, these spells are kill or severe penalties and good damage and possiblity to kill again a few hours later (though you have the possiblity to boost your save in that time).

Lix Lorn
2011-07-04, 07:36 PM
Hmmm. Maybe. I still wouldn't put it higher than seven.

bloodtide
2011-07-04, 08:35 PM
Only Constructs, Non-Water Elementals and creatures with the Incorporal subtype are valid targets for this spell.

Only Constructs, Non-Water Elementals and creatures with the Incorporal subtype are valid targets for this spell? Say what?

Why can't this spell effect living creatures like orcs, dragons or trents? Are you saying that plants, animals, dragons, humanoids and such don't have water in them?

And incorporal creatures have water? So ghosts are full of water and are a valid target for this spell?

I don't follow your logic here...

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-05, 01:43 PM
Only Constructs, Non-Water Elementals and creatures with the Incorporal subtype are valid targets for this spell? Say what?

Why can't this spell effect living creatures like orcs, dragons or trents? Are you saying that plants, animals, dragons, humanoids and such don't have water in them?

And incorporal creatures have water? So ghosts are full of water and are a valid target for this spell?

I don't follow your logic here...
I believe that was a typo when making the edit. As soon as I get home I'll fix it (on an iPod)