PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Form template balance.

Mangles
2011-05-31, 07:51 AM
How much LA would be balanced to give a character alternative form for a single creature with less than 6 HD at will. I was thinking 1 LA would be balanced but wanted to know what people think. What about the CR adjustment if used on an enemy to the PC's?

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-31, 08:57 AM
How much LA would be balanced to give a character alternative form for a single creature with less than 6 HD at will. I was thinking 1 LA would be balanced but wanted to know what people think. What about the CR adjustment if used on an enemy to the PC's?

Depends on the creature, any you had in mind? Are you thinking just animals, or more exotic beasties as well? There's a hell of a variety in power even only up to 6HD, a single LA couldn't work for all of them.

Lycanthropes are probably your best bet as an example. Or the Tibbit from Dragon Compendium if you literally just want them to be able to turn into an animal.

Mangles
2011-05-31, 09:22 AM
Just one regular animal per time the template is taken, not even a dire one at that. The reason I didn't want to balance with the were creatures is that their hybrid form is by far the strongest part of the template and this doesn't have one.

EDIT: haven't heard of Tibbit. Looking it up.

EDIT 2: And i couldn't find it unfortunately.

Kobold-Bard
2011-05-31, 09:34 AM
Just one regular animal per time the template is taken, not even a dire one at that. The reason I didn't want to balance with the were creatures is that their hybrid form is by far the strongest part of the template and this doesn't have one.

EDIT: haven't heard of Tibbit. Looking it up

Tibbit is basically a form of what you want then, it's just a person who can turn into a cat at-will, and is (IIRC) LA+1.

It would still depend on the animal since some have weird bonuses that might be too good for LA+1 perhaps.

Maybe just take a level of the Shapeshift Druid variant from PHB2 instead and use Predator Form as the animal form?

Moose Man
2011-05-31, 11:29 AM
Tibbit is basically a form of what you want then, it's just a person who can turn into a cat at-will, and is (IIRC) LA+1. Actually 1/hour.
I am so odd, although that doesn't relate to my comment in the quote above.