PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Cathay: Wuxian Vampires

Gaius Marius
2011-05-31, 11:56 AM
Hi there. I am trying to create a Wuxia setting set in a fantastic version of Ancient China. I am currently building up a small bestiaire of fantasy creatures the players might get to meet in their journey. Since I don’t like to work in a void, I decided to use the WFRP rule system and make up my own version of Cathay, Warhammer’s version of China.

Now, we don’t much about monsters there, so that means I have a lot of wiggling room to draw from ancient Chinese mythological/historical stuff. I guess Giant Frogs and Terracota Warriors will be present in the story. However, my main problem at the moment is trying to find inspiration for these ancient creatures. People keep telling me to look up Legend of the 5 Rings or other eastern-flavored sourcebooks, and my main beef is that a lot of the information taken there comes from Japanese folklore rather than Chinese. I don’t dislike Japanese lore, but it’s just that it’s stuff my players are going to be exposed to IF and WHEN they go to Nippo.

One of the monsters we know exist in Warhammar Cathay is a kind of Vampire. From some books, we get to know that one of the Vampire Bloodline (the one who escaped in the East) was created by Lhamia’s Head Judge, that it managed to somewhat infiltrate the ruling elite. These vampires are referenced as “Jade Blooded”, as their blood has turned into a very viscous green substance.

Here’s a first draft of my idea:

You know, the traditional “horrible/scary” Chinese overlord? With looooong hair, beard and moustache? With surnaturally long nails?

Well, these are Vampires. The Imperial Administration is probably one big sect of vampires, and they feed on… ….. I am not sure yet. They are not evil per se, but they surely are OCD. They need to have everything done exactly as per their rule. You need to have the exact ceremonial duties performed with them, otherwise they might flow into fits of rage.

To have something done with them, you need to address them the way they expect to be addressed, etc…

You see, they aren’t a ruling class per se (certainly not “nobles” at the top just like the Von Carstein might be), but they are certainly overseeing the human race by having the most solid hold on the bureaucracy. (It should be important to know that they are never the ones officially in charge. Or is it effectively in charge, I mean? Bloody Chinese*) They are eternal, and they do what they are expected to do, playing their little power games among themselves. The Middle Kingdom is dependant on them to survive, but the Middle Kingdom is also inefficiently administrated because of them. It’s a symbiotic/parasitic relationship, really.

Obviously, “Grand Bureaucrats” can be humans to, but they have to play by the rules of the Vampires (I need to find a better name), and they will always eventually be… converted for their good services.

Gives a whole new meaning to “Celestial Bureaucracy”, eh?

*Seriously, I have a problem there. Are the Imperial Administrators those “officially” in charge, since they represent the Heavenly Seal and all that, and the “local Prefects” are the ones with actual official power, since they levy the taxes/armies (the Imperial Administrator just report information to the higher level of Bureaucracy), or would the Imperial Administrator never be officially in charge of a region, but can leverage significant power due to their contact? I need to have a power balance, a… leverage, of sort. As weird as it sounds, I don’t want to* make these Vampires automatically enemies.

Plus, just think a second of the significant of Long Nails and Long Hair in undead bodies. Think of the subculture you could think of. Since once converted, you can’t grow nails or hair anymore… Maybe it’s a sign of prestige?

Zale
2011-05-31, 12:41 PM
That was the single most confusing thing I've read in a week.

Gaius Marius
2011-05-31, 12:53 PM
Hey, first draft taken out of emails. I'll come an clean/restructure later, I just wanted to see what the rough ideas felt like.

I'll put one vote for "confusing" :smallwink: