PDA

View Full Version : New Campaign, Valhalla on Earth, Needing help.

TrappedDoor
2011-06-01, 05:31 AM
I'm working on a new campaign now that our last one has drawn to an epic and well deserved close. I've got plenty of time to write it up since I'm playing as a PC in our new campaign but I figured it's best to get started writing now.

This new campaign is going to be pretty different to the last. In short its going to be a huge-action packed- by the edge of your seats game. The idea is simple:

Valhalla On Earth(Title Pending)
The Precedent
For whatever reason, the celestial realm of Valhalla has emptied all her souls onto Earth. Now, warriors, soldiers, killers and murderers from across history and the future rampage across the planet hoping to prove themselves to the gods for re-entry into their home. US Ranger Fireteams jog through apartment buildings, Viking Raiders jump of their Longships that have appeared in golf course ponds and Future Shock Troopers demolish entire suburbs with plasma-explosives.

The players are regular joes, going to an office Christmas party when a huge storm smashes the city. Plate Mail Knights ride past the apartment bulding, cutting down bystanders and the local news is reporting that the Police are currently busy fighting... the LAPD SWAT of all things. It is obvious something is wrong. The players now have to survive amongst the chaos and attempt to find out what is going on.

The problem I'm having is the reason WHY. Right now I've come up with:

A Cult Did It.
Pros
-Can be stopped, gives a feeling of accomplishment.
-Gives a definative enemy.
Cons
-Doesn't really make sense.
-To Cthulu-ee (We finished a Call Of Cthulu game not to far back and I'd hate to go back into cults already.)

It is Filmbulwinter! (Fimbulwinter being the Norse mythos' storm before the storm. Apparently before Ragnarok there will be three winters without spring, and huge wars in which brothers will kill brothers.)
Pros
-Has actual information I can use, rather than just make up.
-Fits in with the Norse Mythology of Valhalla.
-The winter part makes it more Post-Apoc, which I love.
Cons
-With Ragnarok on the way, everything does seem kinda hopeless. No use really fighting it.

WE'RE OUT OF ROOM! (Valhalla is to full and needs to refine it's stock. All of its occupants have been dropped on Earth to prove themselves. The strong will return and the weak will be sent to the netherworld.)
Pros
-Simple/Cool.
-Kinda makes sense.
Cons
-Has an ending, but the ending of this 'Proving' would be pretty far off.

This has left me stumped, so any comments or help deciding would be awesome.

J.Gellert
2011-06-01, 05:37 AM
It is Filmbulwinter! (Fimbulwinter being the Norse mythos' storm before the storm. Apparently before Ragnarok there will be three winters without spring, and huge wars in which brothers will kill brothers.)
Pros
-Has actual information I can use, rather than just make up.
-Fits in with the Norse Mythology of Valhalla.
-The winter part makes it more Post-Apoc, which I love.
Cons
-With Ragnarok on the way, everything does seem kinda hopeless. No use really fighting it.

This. Anything less doesn't do justice to the particular mythology...

If you want a twist, then say that Ragnarok happened, everyone died, and the entire world is in Valhalla, not the other way around :smalltongue:

TrappedDoor
2011-06-01, 05:42 AM
Sort of like the "It was all just a dream" ending but with violence, alcohol and scantily clad valkyries. Heheh.

Dsurion
2011-06-01, 08:01 AM
You could always combine the first two and have a group of frost mages attempting to usher in Fimbulwinter to cause Ragnarok prematurely. Bonus points for using giants that don't want it to happen.

Tvtyrant
2011-06-01, 08:12 AM
Option 2 is the one closest to the mythology; you could take that one and have the party discover they can push back the Ragnorak by some ludicrously complicated task. Gathering up a plethora of things that do not exist in order to make a new binding for Fenrir or an outrageous bribe to Surtur would be good ones.