PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, PEACH] My first base class - World Shatterer

Phosphate
2011-06-01, 07:57 AM
Disclaimer: This class is intended to be overpowered. Please take that into account when you PEACH.

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs7/i/2005/251/7/2/Magic_by_Ketka.jpg
All individuals will perish. Even the cycle of life is not eternal. The stars will dim and burn out, even the singularities of space will shrink to nothingness. Hell, why do gods have all the fun? - Amares Greythorn, World Shatterer

The magic of the world is unpredictable. At any time, the forces of several gods or realms or whatever leak into what is material. Thus, people like sorcerers are born. But at other times, it is no individual source, but the world itself bleeding into an individual, giving him great power over creation. Those few, truly only a couple hundred people over the ages, are known and named by old tomes as World Shatterers.

Philosophy: World Shatterers are often people who consider themselves the epitome of perfection, a shard of the entirety of reality itself, and as such hate the world that gave birth to them for their mortal origin. No matter the alignment, this stands true.

Adventuring: World Shatterers adventure mostly for two reasons: to kill immortal beings, whom they hate, regarding them as unworthy of their state. Many such adventures are for research, as to figure out exactly how to kill that which cannot be killed. The other reason is to better themselves, to put themselves at risk in order to advance their powers and gain experience, to become godlike beings themselves. A good World Shatterer may use his reality warping powers to help those in need and thwart evil plans, but one of those aforementioned 2 is still their primary reason for adventuring. As such, a World Shatterer rather kills things than loots treasure, and would probably refuse tasks that are too safe.

Race: Any race that is living (has a constitution) and mortal (physically ages).
Alignment: Any non-neutral. A World Shatterer can't be neutral on ANY axis, as he is a strong willed and strong minded individual that wants to influence the world on a grand scale, and also doesn't care about things such as balance.
Starting Age: As sorcerer
Starting Gold: nothing

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|
Gather, Origin, Singularity

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
-

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|
Status Quo (1/day)

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|
Enforced Destiny (d10)

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|
Shattering

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|
Status Quo (2/day)

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|
Singularity

8th|
+6/1|
+2|
+2|
+6|
Enforced Destiny (d8)

9th|
+6/1|
+3|
+3|
+6|
Status Quo (3/day)

10th|
+7/2|
+3|
+3|
+7|
Improved Gather, Hidden Origin, Shattering

11th|
+8/3|
+3|
+3|
+7|
-

12th|
+9/4|
+4|
+4|
+8|
Status Quo (4/day), Enforced Destiny (d6)

13th|
+9/4|
+4|
+4|
+8|
Singularity

14th|
+10/5|
+4|
+4|
+9|
-

15th|
+11/6/1|
+5|
+5|
+9|
Shattering, Status Quo (5/day)

16th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+5|
+10|
Enforced Destiny (d4)

17th|
+12/7/2|
+5|
+5|
+10|
-

18th|
+13/8/3|
+6|
+6|
+11|
Singularity, Status Quo (6/day)

19th|
+14/9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11|
-

20th|
+15/10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|
True Origin, True Purpose[/table]

Hit Die: D6
Skills per level: 4+int mod (x4 at first level)
Class Skills: Autohypnosis (Wis), Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Concentrate (Con), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all)(int), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), UMD (Cha)
Proficiency: A World Shatterer is proficient with all simple weapons that are not two-handed, and light and medium armor but not shields.

Spellcasting: World Shatterers have a special system for spellcasting, unique to them. Once every even level (2, 4, 6...20) a World Shatterer may learn a spell whose level is equal to half their own level or less. These spells are drawn from either the Ranger list, the Paladin list, the Bard list, the Wiz/Sor list or any Cleric Domain, and a World Shatterer can't learn the same spell more than once. (otherwise the maximum number of spells known per level is unlimited, a level 18 World Shatterer can have 1 spell of each level or 9 level 1 spells)

Unlike other spellcasters, World Shatterers don't use the 10 mental stat + spell level formula to see if they are allowed to learn a spell. Instead, they are able to learn spells regardless of their mental stats. Also, if their spells allow the targets to make saves against them, the save is made against the highest of their mental stats.

World Shatterers need not prepare their spells at all. Also, they don't keep them in a spellbook or anything similar. Instead, they may use ANY spell they know once per day via Gather as a standard action, unless the spell specifies otherwise.

A World Shatterer bends the energies of the universe with his mere thoughts, and as such none of his spells require a somatic component. Also, no matter the weight of the armor he's wearing, a World Shatterer's spells will not fail due to that. Material components and stat/xp costs still apply, with one exception: a World Shatterer can use Wish without giving XP, but can only learn Wish at level 20.

Class Features

Origin/Hidden Origin/True Origin:

- Origin (level1): The World Shatterer believes his powers and destructive instincts come from the entropic plane. As such, he deals 50% less damage to World Shatterers and entropic beings, and takes 50% more damage from axiomatic beings. (he also deals 50% less damage to himself with his own spells)
- Hidden Origin (level10): The World Shatterer begins to realize the unique nature of his powers. As such, he deals only 25% less damage to entropic beings and takes only 25% more damage from axiomatic beings, but also deals 75% less damage to World Shatterers. (he also deals 75% less damage to himself with his own spells)
- True Origin (level20): The World Shatterer finds out that his powers are the reverse of anything that exists in this world, and thus not a facet of chaos nor order. He deals normal damage to entropic beings and takes normal damage from axiomatic beings, and cannot deal damage to other World Shatterers at all. (he also cannot deal damage to himself directly via magic, no matter what, even if he is under the influence of any kind of mind control or leak)

Singularity:

The World Shatterer's main concern is his own existence, and as much as he desires to bend and shatter the world around him, he means no harm to himself. At level 1, a World Shatterer is allowed to reroll all 1s and 2s when adding HD. At level 7, a World Shatterer is also allowed to reroll 3s when adding HD, and does not need to sleep anymore (he must still eat and breathe, and is still affected by magical sleep) (the reroll does not apply to lower levels). At level 13, a World Shatterer always receives maximum hp from his HD, does not get fatigued anymore due to any reason, even magical, and does not need to breathe anymore (he must still eat). Also, he is immune to ingested poisons. At level 18, a World Shatterer no longer needs to eat, doesn't become unconscious when hitting 0 hp (though he still loses 1 hp per turn and dies at -10 hp), and cannot die due to massive damage.

Shattering (Sp):

The World Shatterer, quite naturally, shatters worlds. At level 5, this is limited to things that are not real anyway, providing the World Shatterer with a Will Save to disbelieve any Figment or Phantasm - type illusion that is within 1 feet*class level of him even if he didn't inspect it or nothing is out of place. This is a standard action that can be done at will, though only once per hour on a particular illusion.

At level 10, the ability to shatter things that are illusory becomes stronger, and is joined by the ability to crush the results of other's wills - magic. The World Shatterer instantly disbelieves any Figment or Phantasm that is within 1 feet*class level of him and can make Will saves against Glamers and Patterns, as a standard action that can be done at will, though only once per hour on a particular illusion. Also, he may cast Lesser Dispel Magic at will (as a spellcaster of his class level), though only once per hour on a particular spell/enchantment/magical item/whatever, or remove 1 HD from a Summoned creature (no save).

At level 15, the World Shatterer deletes all that is illusory and has great influence over what is magical around him, and can begin to damage reality itself. He instantly disbelieves all non-Shadow Illusions, and can make Will Saves to disbelieve Shadow Illusions that are within 10 feet of him, as a standard action that can be done at will, as many times as necessary. He may cast Dispel Magic at will (as a spellcaster of his class level), though only once per hour on a particular spell/enchantment/magical item/whatever, or remove 1 HD from a Summoned creature as a swift action (no save). Also, he may treat any object (thing that has no Charisma score) that has a weight of 1 pound*half class level or less and is not magical as a Shadow Illusion and is allowed to disbelieve its existence via a Will Save, made against a DC of 15+hardness+1 for every 5 pounds. This can be done 5 times per day as a standard action, and only if the Will Shatterer directly touches the object.

Gather/Improved Gather (Su):

The World Shatterer gains his spells out of sheer will and concentration. Once per day, and this does not require resting, a World Shatterer may use Gather as a full-round action. This allows him to use all of his known spells once each, and does not stack. (you can't have more than 1 use of the same spell at the same time)

At level 10, via Improved Gather, the World Shatterer is allowed to use Gather as a free action, twice per day. This still does not require resting, and this still does not stack. (you can't have more than 1 use of the same spell at the same time)

Status Quo (Sp):

The World Shatterer can give beings a new standard form, imposing a new order over them. As such, starting from level 3 and adding 1 additional use every 3 levels (3, 6, 9...), a World Shatterer can, as a quick action, once per encounter, make the current HP of a creature become its maximum HP. This condition does not give a save but can be dispelled normally, and is otherwise permanent, remaining on the creature even if, for instance, said creature levels and should gain another HD. The use of this ability is not limited to battle, and can be used without restriction (aside from the daily limit) out of it.

Enforced Destiny (Ex):

The World Shatterer knows that he is one of the few who can defy fate itself, and force the world to obey him. This ability is gained at level 4, and uses a smaller die (by 2) every 4 levels thereafter. Every time the World Shatterer fails at any kind of roll that uses a d20 (except rolls that CAN'T succeed), he is allowed to roll a die as shown on the table according to his level, and if the result of the roll is the highest value on the rolled die (10 for d10 etc) the failed d20 roll will succeed instead.

True Purpose:

The World Shatterer finally reaches one of his 2 primary goals. He will choose either one of these 2 bonuses (only 1 of them):

1. The World Shatterer attains godhood. His subtype changes to Outsider and he gains Divine Rank 0.
2. The World Shatterer discovers the secrets of death, in his pursuit to destroy the undying. He gains Fast Healing 1 and will deal 25% more damage to Undead, 25% more damage to Outsiders, and 25% more damage to creatures that have a Divine Rank. This is cumulative if several of those traits are present at the same time. Also, a creature with Divine Rank is not allowed to use Teleport, Plane Shift, or any ability with a similar effect if a World Shatterer engages it in combat.

WILL CONTINUE SOON. You can post anyways.

Dryad
2011-06-01, 08:56 AM
The 24-hour cooldown on spells is very impractical, sorry to say. How about treating it as normal; a rest restores the spells? It's simply too much of a hassle to keep track of when exactly you last used the spells.

Another thing: I don't quite understand the origin feature. At first lvl, she thinks she's something, so she takes more damage and deals less damage in accordance to what she thinks she is. At tenth level, she starts doubting, so the penalties are halved. At twentieth level, she's pretty sure. The penalties disappear.
But... That makes no sense, as what you believe you are should have no impact on what you actually are. I am human. If I were to believe I was a dragon, I would not gain any draconic traits despite my beliefs to the contrary.

Another thing: This world-shattering... Where is it represented in the class? What does it do (save the apocalypse), why would it be a good idea, how does it work, what's going on?

That'd be all for my peaching. :P Good luck on your further development!

Phosphate
2011-06-01, 09:19 AM
Now that I look at it again, 24 hours to regenerate a spell is kinda underpowered, so I'll figure something else. I won't use your suggestion though, because the very point of this class is that it doesn't need to rest.

I added Origin to stop this from being a 1-level dip for the HD rerolling. It's appropriate for a reality-bending being to affect itself unconsciously. Though maybe I could write the fluff better.

Phosphate
2011-06-01, 09:23 AM
As for the WS not shattering worlds yet, patience. Work in progress, but more features will be added.

Zale
2011-06-01, 09:41 AM
So.. At level 20, you'd be able to cast 10 spells a day?

Wizards could probably cast somewhere around fifty a day by that level... :smallconfused:

Phosphate
2011-06-01, 10:00 AM
Hmm...I'm not sure. This is a class that can draw from ALL spell lists, and wears medium armor.

Should I change it to 1 spell per level? That's 20, with 3 of them being level 9.

I mean, I said I want this to be strong, but comparing anything to a wizard is, well...

TheLonelyScribe
2011-06-01, 10:26 AM
But... That makes no sense, as what you believe you are should have no impact on what you actually are. I am human. If I were to believe I was a dragon, I would not gain any draconic traits despite my beliefs to the contrary.

And, if you were to study mystic runes for years, you would not be able to cast spells. This is D&D.

Zale
2011-06-01, 10:33 AM
A sorcerer would have even more spells per day than a wizard. Cloak Of Charisma +6 anyone?

Phosphate
2011-06-01, 02:12 PM
Cloak is OP. Anyway, I think I found a way to make the spell system stronger, albeit well under Tier 1. You'll see tomorrow.

Phosphate
2011-06-02, 12:38 PM
Ok, changed quite a lot of things. Also, added quite a lot of things. Please PEACH.

Also, now I know what I am trying to accomplish with this class - a very high Tier 2. So, is it appropriate for that?

Phosphate
2011-06-03, 06:17 AM
I woud like some imput, this is not that horrible

Knaight
2011-06-03, 06:54 AM
Honestly, this seems like a sorcerer, albeit far less impressive. I suppose the capacity to get good physical stats would make a gish possible, but even then it seems rather weak.

Dryad
2011-06-03, 07:07 AM
And, if you were to study mystic runes for years, you would not be able to cast spells. This is D&D.
It's called 'suspension of disbelief.' The fact that this is DnD, which uses a magic system with spells and such in it does not warrant unfounded surface contradictions.
The whole point of playing a roleplaying game is that you enjoy the story interactively. The whole point of a story is that disbelief gets... Suspended, so to say. That, for a while, all sorts of fantastic things may seem possible. Throw in some surface contradictions, and the suspension shatters.
No; in the real world, arcane magic doesn't work. There are even some very good logical reasons as to why it doesn't. But not all of us are majors in physics; I'm definitely not. So we can get away with a lot, in fiction... As long as it doesn't contradict. Take, for example, Pratchett's Discworld series. The world on which it plays out is a disc carried on the back of four elephants (the fifth crashed), who run circles on a huge turtle. It's a preposterous idea in and of itself.. But nowhere in the series is it contradicted in any way (save, of course, the Omnians, who religiously clamp to the idea that the Disc is sperical. But they're a bit strange). The whole set-up, including the dimensional fabrics, layers and even the thaumic systems all work out in a conceptual manner. That is: They do not contradict one another, or misplace one another.

And this is why I dislike the argument of 'But this is fiction, so everything is possible!'

On the edited world-shatterer: I... Still don't get the feel of a class. It seems like a bit of a hodge-podge of magical ways of going mythbusters against the world of DnD. To quote Adam Savage: I reject your reality, and substitute my own!'
That, I kind of like. ^_^ It's gutsy, original, and has a certain flair. But so far, it's also still inconsistent, and there's not really a consistent feel of progression to it. It's as if you've got four different nay-sayer classes, rolled them all into one, and went from there.
It's a bit like a first level human fighter who's good with weapons: She's got weapon focus: Great Sword, Point Blank Shot and Two-Weapon Fighting. There's no real synergy going on.

Phosphate
2011-06-03, 08:04 AM
Mkay...suggestions?

My goal, tbh, was to make a spellcaster that would surrender strength and versatility in favor of simplicity. Hence the progressive simplification this class renders upon itself: no somatic components, all spell lists, can't harm itself, gradual loss of bodily functions, failsafes, instant removal of illusions, etc.

Dryad
2011-06-03, 08:17 AM
Ehm.. It didn't become simplistic. Rather, it became chaotic. :smalltongue:
My suggestion would be to create a progression line through levelling.
I dunno... Call it Ability X.

Ability X allows you to do Y.

At 1Z lvl, X will allow you to do YY.

At 2Z lvl, X increases to YYY.

And so on.

A further idea is a pick-and-choose ability tree. Much like feat trees, but make them class features. Have a lot of these features relate directly to Ability X's Y function in order to create synergy.

Another idea is to work on the names of abilities a bit. Singularity, Status Quo, Enforced Destiny... These terms kind of leave the reader hanging, and paint a really strange association picture with the reader.. In my case, it's a picasso. Let the name tell the reader what the ability wants to achieve.