PDA

View Full Version : Tales from the Menagerie: Fiction Magazine looking for Contributions

Icewalker
2011-06-04, 03:26 AM
Why hello there Playground. I am currently in the process of producing a pulp fiction magazine, Tales from the Menagerie (http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/about.html). Not yet underway, first issue planned to be released in September.

We will be printing mostly short fiction stories, intending to evoke the spirit of the old pulp magazines from earlier days. When we say pulp, we use it very generally, referring really to any genre fiction: Sci-fi, fantasy, noir, western, steampunk, whatever. Each issue of Tales from the Menagerie will also contain an installment of the serial comic, Aviary: The Adventures of Three Bullet Sign. At the moment, it will be sold in a .pdf format, and we will begin selling print copies once the magazine is established.

While I say mostly short fiction, we will really run nearly anything: we're interested in really unusual submissions. Stories are great, stories which we have to run in multiple issues (which is to say, stories which are over about a dozen pages) are also good especially if they have a good cliffhanger cut in the middle. Art is fantastic in many forms, for a story or stand alone or combined with flash fiction in the style of Keith Thompson (http://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/viraemia.html). We're even open to things which would seem impossible to put in a magazine, we're experimenting. Music, for example. Because there will be some bonus content available to people who subscribe instead of just buying individual issues, there are places for such submissions.

We WILL be paying contributors. This is an opportunity to become an actual produced and paid author, on a small independent scale. (Also, when we pay you for your contribution, we are paying to run it, ONCE, not to buy any kind of rights to it. You retain all rights to your work, we just get to run it in one particular issue. Any questions on the legal bits can't be discussed here of course, but you can talk to us via the site.)

We have more information on the website here, including where to send us a story, and our guidelines for submissions. I figure there'll be some interested folks here. :smallbiggrin:
http://www.talesfromthemenagerie.com/about.html

Dr.Epic
2011-06-04, 02:23 PM
Do you accept illustrations and the like?

Icewalker
2011-06-04, 03:53 PM
Certainly, as noted: for a story or stand alone or combined with flash fiction. Pretty much any question that starts "will you take" will end with yes, if it's a legitimate question and not trolling. :smalltongue: The only exception that immediately comes to mind is fan fiction, as it means derivative works with probable copyright limitations on its publishing.

TechnoScrabble
2011-06-04, 04:05 PM
What's your policy on the occasional expletive?

Icewalker
2011-06-04, 04:46 PM
Ooh good question. I think some cursing is probably acceptable, and it would probably be better if it could be replaced with something not cursing, but it wouldn't stop us from liking a story. We're probably looking at about PG-13, by US film rating standards.

Again though, it's vague. If there was something in the level of detail in a story which we thought was too extreme and that was the only problem, we'd talk to the author about possibly changing the wording of the section, rather than rejecting the story. So don't worry about a bit of profanity disqualifying you from anything. (But don't go overboard :smallwink: )

I mean, basically, we'll probably be judging degree of profanity/adult themes to be roughly on par with the serial comic of the magazine. Cursing shows up almost entirely as either old slang, or in Arabic. Adult themes sometimes present but spoken or implied, not shown. Blood and death, but no shown torture. You know, kind of middle ground, I guess.

Nibleswick
2011-06-04, 06:51 PM
Is there any particular format that you would like us to use when we send stories in?

Icewalker
2011-06-04, 07:08 PM
Also a good question. .doc or .docx are best. But honestly, if we can copy the text in it, it's fine, and even that may not be that important (we haven't worked out formatting style for printed stories yet). If you mean formatting like title and page breaks and line spacing, personally, I don't have a preference. The description on the website assumes roughly 300 words to a page, which I estimated from double spaced 12 point Times New Roman. The size of what we print probably won't be much different (probably will be less than double spaced, actually, so maybe more words per page should be assumed...)

TechnoScrabble
2011-06-04, 09:16 PM
Oh...crud. The submission I just sent in was an open office text doc...I couldn't get the formatting to work in notepad and I don't have word...
is that fine? Or do I need to find a way to torrent word or something?

Icewalker
2011-06-04, 11:01 PM
Nope, that's totally fine. You can open those with Word anyway, I think. Regardless, like I said, as long as we can get into it it really isn't a problem, and there shouldn't be any trouble getting into that.