PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted 2nd Edition] Mortal Hero Style: Yes, I said Mortal Hero Style

Lix Lorn
2011-06-04, 03:35 PM
Mortal Hero Style

Every form of Exalted has its hero style-the natural expression of its essence, as applied to unarmed combat. But it isn't only Exalted that have essence, nor only Exalted that fight.

With intense training, mortals can awaken the power to control their own essence. And with equally intense training, they can learn to perform the supernatural martial arts, the root of the perfected lotus.Those that can do both, but are untrained in any form school of art, and try to utilise their essence regardless, find themselves using unique techniques: Mortal Hero Style.

Mortal Hero Style is a Terrestrial Martial Art, not aligned to any element. It is utterly natural to mortal humans (1), and beings that once were them (2), and they are capable of developing new charms for it. (3)
Mortals need every advantage they can muster. As such, Mortal Hero Style is compatible with all armour, as well as any one weapon, depending on stylist.

The cap for dice added through charms for a mortal is equal to their essence.

(1) For the purposes of this style, I use the word mortal to mean 'human or near human that isn't exalted or an akuma'.
(2) This includes Exalted and Akuma, but does NOT include beings such as gods or demons that once were human.
(3) These expansion charms are generic martial arts charms. Any being that can channel essence can learn them, provided they meet the prerequisites.

New Keyword:
Underdog
A charm with the Underdog keyword has an effect based on how badly they are outclassed, normally based on relative essence levels. The difference between the user’s essence and the highest essence among all opponents involved is called the Essence Cliff. If the being using the Underdog charm has higher essence, Essence Cliff is zero.
However, an additional bonus is added depending on how powerful the foe is in a different sense: Terrestrial beings such as minor gods, Dragonblooded, elementals, and nominally most Fae are one 'tier' above mortals, and Celestial gods and Exalted are one above them. Each tier of difference adds one to the Essence Cliff.
(As a side note, this bonus is gained even if the user has higher essence: An Essence Three Mortal Hero fighting an Essence Two Dragonblooded still gains a Cliff of one due to their tier. This bonus can be negative: A Celestial Exalt using an Underdog charm against a mortal of equal essence has a cliff of negative two.)

http://i56.tinypic.com/4iop00.png

Press Every Option
Cost: 3m, Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1, Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Underdog, Combo-OK
Duration: Instant
Prerequisites: None

The Mortal Hero who fights fair is the mortal hero who lies dead on the battlefield. If a Mortal wishes to fight and to survive, he must take every option he has.
The user does not attack directly, but uses trickery and deception to remove his weapons and reduce his defences. He adds the Essence Cliff in dice between he and his target to a single attack roll for a clinch, disarm attack, or any other combat maneuver other than a direct attack. This bonus is not limited by dice caps, but counts towards them.

Pick Your Battles
Cost: -, Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1, Type: Permanent
Keywords: Underdog
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisites: Press Every Option

Even the greatest mortal heroes of Creation must remember one vital thing-they are mortals. They cannot fight an Exalted on equal footing, and the weakest of fae is a powerful foe. They have to know when to fight and when to flee.
Whenever the user rolls Join Battle, they gain additional dice equal to the Essence Cliff between them and the strongest involved opponent. In addition, whenever they try to escape a battle, they add the Essence Cliff between them and all chasing opponents to their Dexterity for the purpose of determining speed. These bonuses are not limited by dice caps, but count towards them.

Stone-Shattering Strike
Cost: 3m, Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1, Type: Supplemental
Prerequisites: None

If the Mortal Hero wishes to defeat his foe, he must strike as hard as the monster’s he challenges. He ignores hardness equal to half his target’s essence (Or his own essence if the target is an inanimate object, or otherwise has no Essence score), and adds the Essence Cliff between he and his target to the raw damage of his attack. This bonus is not limited by dice caps, but counts towards them.

Storm Weathering Stance
Cost: 3m, Mins: Martial Arts 4, Essence 1, Type: Reflexive (Step 7)
Prerequisites: Stone Shattering Strike

Few Mortal Heroes can dream of downing their targets with one strike. This means that, inevitably, the Hero will be struck back. A Hero who isn’t ready to take this is doomed to die in his first battle.
This charm is invoked in response to a single attack. It raises the user’s lethal and bashing soak by the Essence Cliff between them and the attacker. This counts as soak from armor, and stacks with actual armor. This bonus is not limited by dice caps, but counts towards them.

Mortal Hero Form
Cost: 5m, Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 1, Type: Simple
Keywords: Underdog, Form Type
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisites: Press Every Option, Storm Weathering Stance

When a Mortal Hero survives for a long time, he knows how the greater forces work. How they fight, how they strike. With essence, he boosts his reactions, allowing him to use this knowledge to evade and attack his betters.
The user adds the Essence Cliff between him and his target in bonus dice to his unarmed Martial Arts attacks. He adds one plus the Essence Cliff between he and his attacker to the pools used to determine his DVs. These bonuses are not limited by dice caps, but count towards them.

Those Who Run Away
Cost: 5m, Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 1, Type: Reflexive (Step 1)
Keywords: Underdog, Combo-OK, Obvious
Prerequisites: Mortal Hero Form

The Mortal Hero knows when he is defeated. Producing a cloud of smoke from his essence, he disorientates those around him and flees.
This charm forms an unnatural mental influence costing one willpower to ignore. Anyone who does not pay the cost ignores the Mortal Hero for the next Essence Cliff ticks, or until he attacks him or one of their allies, whichever comes first.

Appearing the Possum Technique
Cost: 3m+, Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2, Type: Simple
Keywords: None
Duration: Indefinite
Prerequisites: Those Who Run Away

The Mortal Hero is far stronger than he has the right to be-and that can be his downfall. If his foes realise he’s not a mortal, his death becomes far more likely.
Invoking this charm hides the user’s essence. For each three motes committed to this charm, the Mortal Hero appears to have one less dot of Essence, to a minimum of one. This does not effect their Essence Pools, but it does affect their Essence Cliff, and hide their strength from charms that can see their essence. If their visible essence is reduced to One, an additional cost of three motes can make them appear to be unable of using Essence. Charms that sense essence can see through this, if their user makes a Perception+Awareness roll at Difficulty (Essence Cliff).
In addition, this disguise interferes with essence other than their own. While this charm is active, all charms not normal for mortals, such as other exalted charms, other martial arts, or Akuma charms, suffer a three mote surcharge.

Furiously Eyed Wings Apparition
Cost: 5m, 1wp, Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 2, Type: Simple
Keywords: Obvious
Prerequisites: Appearing the Possum Technique

If the Mortal Hero has to be seen as a threat, he must appear to be something truly dangerous. This charm invokes unnatural mental influence on all those who look at him, costing two willpower to resist. Those who do not pay see the Mortal Hero as a different form of being-a Fae, a god, demon, or an Exalted, depending on what will evoke a strong feeling of awe or fear in them. Obviously, attacks or effects that work on specific types of beings still treat him as an enlightened mortal, and thus will likely cause confusion or defeat the disguise.

Heroism Without Endowment
Cost: 1wp, 1ahl, Mins: Martial Arts 5, Essence 3, Type: Simple
Keywords: Obvious, Underdog
Prerequisites: Furious Eyes Wings Apparition

There comes a time when all trickery is ended and only power matters. The true Mortal Hero understands this.
With their own blood, they swear to serve a higher power-Creation itself, or the Underworld, or Malfeas. It is not the other party that magnifies their power, but their own belief in themself.

While this charm is active, the user has two special powers. The first allows them to perfectly defend against attacks with a cost of 12m. Each invocation of this ability deals a number of levels of unsoakable bashing damage to the user equal to the Essence Cliff between them and their attacker. This damage is considered a unique flaw of invulnerability. This ability can be used as either a dodge or a parry, but may not dodge the undodgeable or block the unblockable.

The second ability is offensive. The user may make unarmed martial arts attacks at a range of 5(Essence Cliff) yards, with a cost of 2m per attack. This attack can take many forms, depending on the style of the user.
For five motes and one willpower, they may make any unarmed martial arts attack either undodgeable or unblockable.

Xefas
2011-06-04, 04:07 PM
I like it. I was considering doing something like this, but I'm glad you did it first. I do have two questions, however.

For calculating Essence Cliff, does it work both ways? I mean, the obvious intended use is for, say, an Essence 1 Mortal to get a +3 bonus versus an Essence 4 Spirit. But, if the Essence 3 Mortal is fighting an Essence 1 Mortal, by the definition of the Underdog keyword, the Essence 3 Mortal would still get a +2 bonus, because the difference between his Essence and the highest Essence among his opponents is still 2, even though he isn't the underdog.

I'm wondering if that's intended. And,

The user may make unarmed martial arts attacks at range, with a cost of 2m per attack.

At what range, and what does this look like?

Lix Lorn
2011-06-04, 04:18 PM
I like it. I was considering doing something like this, but I'm glad you did it first. I do have two questions, however.

For calculating Essence Cliff, does it work both ways? I mean, the obvious intended use is for, say, an Essence 1 Mortal to get a +3 bonus versus an Essence 4 Spirit. But, if the Essence 3 Mortal is fighting an Essence 1 Mortal, by the definition of the Underdog keyword, the Essence 3 Mortal would still get a +2 bonus, because the difference between his Essence and the highest Essence among his opponents is still 2, even though he isn't the underdog.

I'm wondering if that's intended. And,

At what range, and what does this look like?
On the first, I'm not sure. Fluffwise it shouldn't, but I feel maybe it ought to. I'm leaning towards saying it doesn't.

Forgot range, probably 5 yards x essence. And it can look however you like-stunt fodder.

Qaera
2011-06-04, 04:33 PM
Uhrm, mortals aren't Exalted, which is why they don't have a hero style. See: everything else that isn't Exalted that doesn't have a hero style.
A floating style weapon is very powerful and broken.
I think mortals don't get Charms or Essence pools, could be wrong.
New keywords are always powerful. Not sure how balanced Essence Cliff is.
How are mortals going to get to Essence 3?

Xefas
2011-06-04, 04:37 PM
Uhrm, mortals aren't Exalted, which is why they don't have a hero style. See: everything else that isn't Exalted that doesn't have a hero style.
That's probably why this is in the homebrew forum.

This is more a problem with the weapon rules than anything.

Mortals can get to Essence 3, get Essence pools, and learn up to Terrestrial Martial Arts and Sorcery.

Lix Lorn
2011-06-04, 04:37 PM
New keywords are always powerful. Not sure how balanced Essence Cliff is.
A Hero Style is defined as what happens when you use your natural essence and apply it to martial arts. Mortals get essence. So they get a Hero Style, IMO.

Why? Because some weapons are stronger than others? Then just imagine it reads 'the most powerful weapon' and see if it's overpowered with that. Oughtn't to be.

Enlightened mortals get Essence pools. They don't normally get charms, but there's no reason they shouldn't.

Hopefully balanced? They'll still get smooshed by anything based around fighting.

By spending a lot of experience.

Edit: Xefas, you Scourge you.

Qaera
2011-06-04, 04:47 PM
This is more a problem with the weapon rules than anything.
Many times the only thing restricting Martial Artists from choosing a Style is that the form weapons don't synchronize with the ones they already use.

A Hero Style is defined as what happens when you use your natural essence and apply it to martial arts. Mortals get essence. So they get a Hero Style, IMO.

So, Elemental Hero Style, Demon Hero Style, Primordial Hero Style, Yozi Hero Style?

This might make more sense as Heroic Mortal Hero Style. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2011-06-04, 04:49 PM
So, Elemental Hero Style, Demon Hero Style, Primordial Hero Style, Yozi Hero Style?

This might make more sense as Heroic Mortal Hero Style. :smalltongue:
Yup. I'd say they should all exist.
Someone ELSE can 'brew them. :smalltongue:

Yes, but that sounds worse.

DragonSinged
2011-06-04, 04:55 PM
I like this a lot. Looking through them, it all looks pretty good, too, I can see a mortal using these techniques. They seem decently balanced, as well, in that the mortal using them is still not going to be a real threat to anyone of any real power, but still might throw them off.
Stone-Shattering Strike seems like it could use some kind of disadvantage, though. It seems pretty strong for an entry level charm to Mortal Hero Style.

Beyond that, it looks good to me. I especially like Pick Your Battles and Press Every Option. The latter amuses me with the image of Mortals throwing themselves onto the sword-arms of Exalts en-masse in a desperate attempt to just slow them down a little, and the former, well I'm picturing some Solar who isn't decked out in Athletics charms trying to chase down some Mortal, who puts on a ridiculous burst of speed to get away. "What the..."

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-04, 05:11 PM
I like. The only thing I don't like is the term "Essence Cliff". Because... seriously, "Essence Cliff"?

Lix Lorn
2011-06-04, 05:22 PM
I like this a lot. Looking through them, it all looks pretty good, too, I can see a mortal using these techniques. They seem decently balanced, as well, in that the mortal using them is still not going to be a real threat to anyone of any real power, but still might throw them off.
Stone-Shattering Strike seems like it could use some kind of disadvantage, though. It seems pretty strong for an entry level charm to Mortal Hero Style.

Beyond that, it looks good to me. I especially like Pick Your Battles and Press Every Option. The latter amuses me with the image of Mortals throwing themselves onto the sword-arms of Exalts en-masse in a desperate attempt to just slow them down a little, and the former, well I'm picturing some Solar who isn't decked out in Athletics charms trying to chase down some Mortal, who puts on a ridiculous burst of speed to get away. "What the..."
Thanks. What kind of disadvantage can you think of? I mean, bear in mind that the Cliff is probably two or three at best. If it's any more, you'll die before you even move.

I like. The only thing I don't like is the term "Essence Cliff". Because... seriously, "Essence Cliff"?
Well, it's like, you're at the bottom of the cliff, and they're at the top?
Yeah, if you can think of a better name, I'll change it.

Xefas
2011-06-04, 05:27 PM

I just had a brewgasm.

Qaera
2011-06-04, 05:39 PM
I just had a brewgasm.

I didn't even mention God Hero Style.

Re: Essence Cliff: Essence... Horizon?

Xefas
2011-06-04, 05:42 PM
I didn't even mention God Hero Style.

Don't forget Dragon King Hero Style, Mountainfolk Hero Style, and, best of all, Raksha Hero Style :smalltongue:.

I'd just go with "Essence Differential" myself.

Lix Lorn
2011-06-04, 05:44 PM
I nearly used Differential, but it was a mouthful to say.

Qaera
2011-06-04, 05:48 PM
Don't forget Dragon King Hero Style, Mountainfolk Hero Style, and, best of all, Raksha Hero Style :smalltongue:.

I'd just go with "Essence Differential" myself.

Familiar Hero Style! Ally Herp Style! Shinma Derp Style!
Honestly though, DKHS and RHS sound awesome.

Essence Disparity?

vegetalss4
2011-06-05, 11:15 AM
Press Every Option
Is the essence cliff added as bonus dice or successes?

Pick Your Battles
The bonus should be equal to the highest Essence Cliff, not the total of all essence cliffs, a mortal shouldn’t be the fastest being in the setting just because a legion of Dragon blooded are trying to follow him.
Also I think this should be a reflexive charm, with a low cost say about 2m.

Stone-Shattering Strike
This is good.

Storm Weathering Stance
So is this, through perhaps a little low?

Mortal Hero Form
Seems okay

Those Who Run Away
Last sentence should be “or until he attacks them or one of their allies, whichever comes first.”

Seems good, do however note that its main use is in increasing your Essence cliff, and thus improve the rest of the style, not in hiding what you are.
You could save two words and make it more conventional by changing the wording to

“For each three motes committed to this charm, the Mortal Hero appears to have one less dot of Essence, to a minimum of one.”
And then remove this sentence
“This charm cannot reduce the user's Essence to zero.”
but that a minor thing

The last sentence is redundant, since this charm doesn’t change what you are, it just forces people to believe you are something else.
Do the user choose which kind of creature they appear to be, or is it random?

The sudden declaration of servitude seems at odds with the rest of the fluff of someone who fights against beings much more powerful than themselves, especially considering that the effect has nothing to do with servitude.

The defensive option needs this sentence or one like it added to the end “as an unique flaw of invulnerability.” Referring to the bashing damage
Otherwise it looks good.

general comments:
why so many combo-ok charms? Enlightened Mortals can’t make or use combos.
while the general theme of a lesser being raising up against their greater is very cool and fitting for a terrestrial martial arts, it isn't so fitting as humans natural style, considering that they where made to be prayer batteries and that they where chosen for exaltation because they where no treat to their greaters. Which meant that their greaters had not thought to defend against them. The humans was the cosmic mistletoe if you will.
Therefore I suggest that this good style was renamed to something like "Fist of the People Style" or "Sparrow style" or something, with the flavor that it was invented by a enlightened mortal hero.

Lix Lorn
2011-06-05, 12:04 PM
Press Every Option
Is the essence cliff added as bonus dice or successes?
Dice. Will edit.

Pick Your Battles
The bonus should be equal to the highest Essence Cliff, not the total of all essence cliffs, a mortal shouldn’t be the fastest being in the setting just because a legion of Dragon blooded are trying to follow him.
Also I think this should be a reflexive charm, with a low cost say about 2m.
That was the intention, will edit.
There are already dozens of reflexive charms, and mortals have miniscule essence pools.

Stone-Shattering Strike
This is good.

Storm Weathering Stance
So is this, through perhaps a little low?
Thanks; and low is probably fitting.

Mortal Hero Form
Seems okay
Thanks.

Those Who Run Away
Last sentence should be “or until he attacks them or one of their allies, whichever comes first.”
Point, will edit.

Seems good, do however note that its main use is in increasing your Essence cliff, and thus improve the rest of the style, not in hiding what you are.
You could save two words and make it more conventional by changing the wording to

“For each three motes committed to this charm, the Mortal Hero appears to have one less dot of Essence, to a minimum of one.”
And then remove this sentence
“This charm cannot reduce the user's Essence to zero.”
but that a minor thing
They're both equally valid uses. The former use makes it a stealth Stealth charm for actual Exalted who learn it.

The last sentence is redundant, since this charm doesn’t change what you are, it just forces people to believe you are something else.
Do the user choose which kind of creature they appear to be, or is it random?
Nevertheless.
Depends on what will impress the target.

The sudden declaration of servitude seems at odds with the rest of the fluff of someone who fights against beings much more powerful than themselves, especially considering that the effect has nothing to do with servitude.

The defensive option needs this sentence or one like it added to the end “as an unique flaw of invulnerability.” Referring to the bashing damage
Otherwise it looks good.
It seems to work for me. It's about fighting for a cause. Although your strength is your own, it comes from all Creation.

general comments:
why so many combo-ok charms? Enlightened Mortals can’t make or use combos.
It's a martial art, anyone can learn it.

while the general theme of a lesser being raising up against their greater is very cool and fitting for a terrestrial martial arts, it isn't so fitting as humans natural style, considering that they where made to be prayer batteries and that they where chosen for exaltation because they where no treat to their greaters. Which meant that their greaters had not thought to defend against them. The humans was the cosmic mistletoe if you will.
Therefore I suggest that this good style was renamed to something like "Fist of the People Style" or "Sparrow style" or something, with the flavor that it was invented by a enlightened mortal hero.

vegetalss4
2011-06-05, 12:20 PM
That was the intention, will edit.
There are already dozens of reflexive charms, and mortals have miniscule essence pools.

yes but a join battle enhancer is a bit too good to be a permanent effect.

They're both equally valid uses. The former use makes it a stealth Stealth charm for actual Exalted who learn it.

point

Nevertheless.
Depends on what will impress the target.

what if none of said creatures would evoke a feeling of awe or fear in someone? say they are exalted themselves?

It seems to work for me. It's about fighting for a cause. Although your strength is your own, it comes from all Creation.

I am just saying its a bit sudden when the rest of the style is about fighting against beings who are stronger than you.

It's a martial art, anyone can learn it.
point

you seem to be misunderstanding my point.
my point is not that Humans shouldn't have a hero style. In fact I think that such a style can be interesting and a good addition to a game.

my point is that the hero style of the type of creatures whose most prominent feature is that they aren't a threat to their greaters, should not be based around the theme of fighting their greaters.

Lix Lorn
2011-06-05, 12:48 PM
yes but a join battle enhancer is a bit too good to be a permanent effect.
Solars get one. Just a one success, but nonetheless.

what if none of said creatures would evoke a feeling of awe or fear in someone? say they are exalted themselves?
Then the one that is closest to it.

I am just saying its a bit sudden when the rest of the style is about fighting against beings who are stronger than you.
It made sense to me.

you seem to be misunderstanding my point.
my point is not that Humans shouldn't have a hero style. In fact I think that such a style can be interesting and a good addition to a game.

my point is that the hero style of the type of creatures whose most prominent feature is that they aren't a threat to their greaters, should not be based around the theme of fighting their greaters.
But... they ARE a threat to their greaters. Just look at the exalted-yes, it's the exaltations that do the heavy lifting, but the Incarnae must think there's value in humanity or they'd have made something better.

Also, a style based around praying to the beings that made you and living for a very short time would be dull.
Alsoalso I'm not writing an entirely new style from scratch.

Yuki Akuma
2011-06-05, 01:14 PM

Solars get better charms than mortals?! You don't say.

vegetalss4
2011-06-05, 01:46 PM

They are Solars. This is a terrestrial style. There is quite a power difference here.

Then the one that is closest to it.

ok

It made sense to me.

well looks like I'm not going to convince you on this one then.

But... they ARE a threat to their greaters. Just look at the exalted-yes, it's the exaltations that do the heavy lifting, but the Incarnae must think there's value in humanity or they'd have made something better.

Also, a style based around praying to the beings that made you and living for a very short time would be dull.
Alsoalso I'm not writing an entirely new style from scratch.

humanity was exactly because they aren't a threat, this meant that the primordials hadn't bothered to make themselves immune to them. Humanity is the mistletoe. Exaltation is taking said mistletoe, sharpening it and then throwing it at the immortal at several times the speed of sound.

Lix Lorn
2011-06-05, 02:43 PM
They are Solars. This is a terrestrial style. There is quite a power difference here.
Indeed. Your point? This can give... four dice is the most powerful you're likely to get.

DracoDei
2011-06-05, 02:56 PM
Don't know much about Exalted (Read Keychain of Creation and have seen other homebrews on these forums).

Seems to me you need a way of better defining the Essence Cliff for Stone-Shattering Strike when used on inanimate objects. My gut reaction would be to make "normal" items (up to and including a castle wall) count as essence 1 or maybe even 0. MAgical items would have an essence assigned to them (if the system doesn't already do so). Jade, Orchalium(sp?), and other special materials might get the same adjustments as their typical wielders for the material (so +2 for Orchalium etc).

vegetalss4
2011-06-05, 03:19 PM
Indeed. Your point? This can give... four dice is the most powerful you're likely to get.

my point is that the Solar Charm which gives 1 success is not a precedent for a terrestrial martial arts charm.

and that is four dice for free and always on a quite easy to get charm seeing as it only has 1 prerequisite.

EDIT:
oh and you should change this part

Or his own essence if the target is not a living being
of stone shattering strike to something like
Or his own essence if the target don't have its own Essence score, or
Or his own essence if the target is an object or structure.
since as written you are using your own essence against ghost, zombies and automatons, which I don't think is intended.

Xefas
2011-06-05, 03:29 PM
and that is four dice for free and always on a quite easy to get charm seeing as it only has 1 prerequisite.

I think the difference is that it's not "four dice always for free", it's "four dice when you're absolutely boned because you're fighting something four super saiyans higher than you and you're going to get pasted anyway".

vegetalss4
2011-06-05, 03:37 PM
I think the difference is that it's not "four dice always for free", it's "four dice when you're absolutely boned because you're fighting something four super saiyans higher than you and you're going to get pasted anyway".

point.
ten charecters

Lix Lorn
2011-06-05, 03:50 PM
Don't know much about Exalted (Read Keychain of Creation and have seen other homebrews on these forums).

Seems to me you need a way of better defining the Essence Cliff for Stone-Shattering Strike when used on inanimate objects. My gut reaction would be to make "normal" items (up to and including a castle wall) count as essence 1 or maybe even 0. MAgical items would have an essence assigned to them (if the system doesn't already do so). Jade, Orchalium(sp?), and other special materials might get the same adjustments as their typical wielders for the material (so +2 for Orchalium etc).

oh and you should change this part

of stone shattering strike to something like
Or his own essence if the target don't have its own Essence score, or
Or his own essence if the target is an object or structure.
since as written you are using your own essence against ghost, zombies and automatons, which I don't think is intended.
Both related points, and a neat solution there. Will steal it.

...yep, once again, thanks Xef.