PDA

View Full Version : Unbound Mage [3.5 PrC, PEACH]

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-05, 07:09 PM
Unbound Mage
http://www.deviantart.com/download/30484388/Angry_Mage_by_picster.jpg
"Once i was bound like any other wizard, but now, now i am free, free of the restrictions of wizardry, free of the bindings of all spellcasters, and have become a true mage."

-Qell Ironhand, Former Wizard

Unbound magi are a unique breed of prepared caster that have learned to memorize spells in a much more efficient, though they prefer the term 'free', way that allows them to memorize a certain number of spells and later cast them without restriction, much the same way a sorcerer does. This 'freedom', as it is often called, opens up a new level of versatility to any potential unbound mage.

Becoming A Mage
Most unbound magi start as wizards or other prepared arcane spellcasters that slowly draw on their ability to memorize spells and expand the skill further and further until they reach the point where they can memorize spells and cast them without 'losing' them until they reread their spellbook.

Entry Requirements:
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 Ranks, Spellcraft 8 Ranks
Feats: Alacritous Cogitation, Spell Mastery (or the Eidetic Memory ACF)
Spells: Ability to prepare 3rd level arcane spells

Skill Points each level: 2+Intelligence Modifier
Class Skills: Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, and Spellcraft.
Hit Dice: d4

Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special | Spellcasting
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Unbound Magic|---

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Eidetic Memory|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Reserve Magic|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Expanded Reserves|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Eidetic Memory|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Reserve Magic|---

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Expanded Reserves|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Eidetic Memory|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Reserve Magic|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Expanded Reserves|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

Wpn/Arm Prof: An unbound mage gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Unbound Magic (Ex): Upon taking their first level of this class, an unbound mage gains the ability to memorize spells in a different way from other prepared spellcasters. They must still have their spellbook to memorize their spells but instead of filling spell slots, these memorized spells act more like a sorcerer's spells known.

Additionally, an unbound mage can memorize metamagic spells at the appropriate level or spontaneously add a metamagic feat to a spell by increasing the casting time. From this point on, an unbound mage acts as both a prepared caster and spontaneous caster simultaneously.

An unbound mage can only memorize spells of a maximum level of their class level - 1 or 4th level, whichever is higher. The number of spells an unbound mage can memorize are based on her unmodified caster level (anything that boosts caster level does not increase this value).

Spells Memorized by Caster Level
{table=head]CL|0|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th

5th|3|3|1|1|-|-|-|-|-|-

6th|3|3|2|1|-|-|-|-|-|-

7th|3|3|2|1|1|-|-|-|-|-

8th|4|3|2|1|1|-|-|-|-|-

9th|4|3|3|2|1|1|-|-|-|-

10th|4|3|3|2|2|1|-|-|-|-

11th|4|3|3|2|2|1|1|-|-|-

12th|4|3|3|3|2|2|1|-|-|-

13th|4|3|3|3|3|2|1|1|-|-

14th|4|3|3|3|3|2|2|1|-|-

15th|4|3|3|3|3|3|2|1|1|-

16th|4|3|3|3|3|3|2|2|1|-

17th|4|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|1|1

18th|4|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|2|1

19th|4|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|2

20th|4|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|3|2

[/table]

Eidetic Memory (Ex): At 2nd, 5th, and 8th level, an unbound mage gains a modified version of the Spell Mastery feat, gaining the ability to memorize a number of spells equal to 3 + their Int mod without a spellbook. Additionally, for every time they have taken the Spell Mastery feat, they can memorize an additional 3 spells. If the unbound mage qualified with the Eidetic Memory ACF, this provides no benefit.

Reserve Magic: At 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, an unbound mage gains a bonus Reserve feat. The unbound mage must still meet all the prerequisites for a bonus feat.

Expanded Reserves (Ex): At 4th, 7th, and 10th level, an unbound mage treats the levels of all his spells as an additional level higher for the purpose of Reserve feats.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-05, 07:13 PM
This class was inspired by Welknair's ongoing project as well as the Alacritous Cogitation feat and my own liking of mixing spontaneous and prepared casters together. I hope that i did a good enough job with this to make it worthwhile while still being balanced. I may also up the Prereqs or add in some dead levels to balance it out a little still.

I also need some help on the fluff, i've never been all that good with it really so if anyone can suggest something it'd be appreciated.

Epsilon Rose
2011-06-06, 02:47 AM
The memorization mechanic reminds me of the spirit shamans mechanic, which makes me happy because I like the mechanic but not the list.
Actually, I really like this class in general. I don't think it really gives anything too powerful and what it does give lets you experiment with different approaches and makes the spell book a viable target which is groovy.
That said I'm not sure if a normal mage would have enough spells to really take advantage of this class unless they're adding a lot of spells to their book between level (which isn't always the case).

Fizban
2011-06-06, 05:26 AM
I'll start by saying I like the idea, but. . . really? Take another look and read through what you've got here. There is almost no reason not to take this class, and it is better than the sorcerer in every way.

First off, we have full spellcasting at every level. This means you're still getting your spells one level before the sorcerer, which was bad enough to begin with. Aside from that, the class is clearly an upgrade in power without any real cost. Next, you're getting the exact same "spells known" as the sorcerer. So you get access to new spells sooner than sorcerers, and you have just as many available for spontaneous casting as they do. And you can change them every day.

Comparing it to the Spirit Shaman just doesn't work. The shaman uses the druid list, which is the least versatile of the main choices, and it has fewer spells retrieved than a sorcerer has spells known. This class has access to the best spell list, and has the same number of spells known. Try looking at it from another direction: would you allow a prestige class that, for no significant cost, allowed a sorcerer to change all of his spells known every day? And gave him spellcasting as if he were one level higher than he actually is? If the answer is anything other than "Yes, I already houseruled it into the base class," then there's a problem.

I just really don't know what there is to say. It is obviously, painfully, better than both wizard and sorcerer. Knock of a level of spellcasting at 1st and 6th, and limit the spontaneous casting to spells of no higher than PrC level-1, and it might be better. Actually it would still be ridiculously more powerful than a sorcerer, but at least it would look like they were giving up something.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-06, 08:53 AM
I'll start by saying I like the idea, but. . . really? Take another look and read through what you've got here. There is almost no reason not to take this class, and it is better than the sorcerer in every way.

I did say i wanted some help in that respect, there are definitely some power issues and i know that, so i'm trying to work on that, hence asking for some advice.

First off, we have full spellcasting at every level. This means you're still getting your spells one level before the sorcerer, which was bad enough to begin with. Aside from that, the class is clearly an upgrade in power without any real cost. Next, you're getting the exact same "spells known" as the sorcerer. So you get access to new spells sooner than sorcerers, and you have just as many available for spontaneous casting as they do. And you can change them every day.

I will see about changing spells memorized to equal something similar to the spirit shaman, or at least decrease them a few levels to be more effective.

Comparing it to the Spirit Shaman just doesn't work. The shaman uses the druid list, which is the least versatile of the main choices, and it has fewer spells retrieved than a sorcerer has spells known. This class has access to the best spell list, and has the same number of spells known. Try looking at it from another direction: would you allow a prestige class that, for no significant cost, allowed a sorcerer to change all of his spells known every day? And gave him spellcasting as if he were one level higher than he actually is? If the answer is anything other than "Yes, I already houseruled it into the base class," then there's a problem.

Again, i'm going to try and cut down the spells memorized, and i may add a few more prereqs and "dead" levels to help balance it out. Any suggestions on how to go about this would be much appreciated.

I just really don't know what there is to say. It is obviously, painfully, better than both wizard and sorcerer. Knock of a level of spellcasting at 1st and 6th, and limit the spontaneous casting to spells of no higher than PrC level-1, and it might be better. Actually it would still be ridiculously more powerful than a sorcerer, but at least it would look like they were giving up something.

Okay, i'll add those in since it does make sense. Lost caster levels do usually help with this kind of thing. I will leave the spells memorized list as is for spellcasters that manage to get the full 20 CL.

EDIT: Changes made a ready for review

JoshuaZ
2011-06-06, 09:25 AM
My first instinct was to say drop a caster level. Unfortunately, that would still put them ahead of a sorcerer. So dropping two caster levels seems to fit right. That puts them a half a spell level behind a sorcerer and with fewer slots but allows them to change things up. Edit: Oh, and I guess you did that while I was writing this. Never mind then.

Fizban
2011-06-07, 01:32 AM
It's probably fine now, my frothing sorcerer's fury has now been abated :smallwink:

One more note: the table should refer to effective spellcaster level, rather than Caster Level, since you can boost CL with items and such. Bit of a nitpick, but them's the wording.

Lyndworm
2011-06-07, 01:47 AM
I really like this... I'd really like to try it out. Maybe one day... :smallsigh:

The Black Staff
2011-06-08, 11:04 AM
What happens if you're a Wizard 5/Unbound Mage 10/Ultimate Magus 5

Because you say you act as both a spontaneous and a prepared spell caster, so you can qualify as an Ultimate Magus and get much better, much quicker.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-08, 11:07 AM

Because you say you act as both a spontaneous and a prepared spell caster, so you can qualify as an Ultimate Magus and get much better, much quicker.

Up to the DM really, but i'd say that it only advances it once each level instead of once where it advances the lowest level casting and twice where it advances both. I had thought about adding a clause where it'd state that it can count as one or the other where benefitial but not both. But RAI it should not be advanced twice by Ultimate Magus or similar classes.

Alefiend
2011-06-08, 11:37 AM
I think I like it—this really captures the feel of a growing mastery over the use and theory of magic. I'm a fan of reserve feats too, so this PrC is something I'd definitely consider if it was offered in a campaign where I was the wizard.

My only quibble is with Eidetic Memory. Is there any reason it can't just be a free instance of Spell Mastery? I mean, 3+(INTmodx2) is a lot of spells, and I think this could make wizards lazy. IMHO, even an Unbound Mage should have to refer to a spellbook or grimoire from time to time. Maybe 3+INTmod would be a happy medium between bog standard Spell Mastery and what you've got here.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-08, 11:40 AM
I think I like it—this really captures the feel of a growing mastery over the use and theory of magic. I'm a fan of reserve feats too, so this PrC is something I'd definitely consider if it was offered in a campaign where I was the wizard.

My only quibble is with Eidetic Memory. Is there any reason it can't just be a free instance of Spell Mastery? I mean, 3+(INTmodx2) is a lot of spells, and I think this could make wizards lazy. IMHO, even an Unbound Mage should have to refer to a spellbook or grimoire from time to time. Maybe 3+INTmod would be a happy medium between bog standard Spell Mastery and what you've got here.

True, will adjust accordingly

Amechra
2011-06-08, 04:26 PM

This would actually be useful for sacking spell slots to cast metamagical spells.