PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew prc'ing rule 3.5

nysisobli
2011-06-06, 08:12 PM
Im going to enact a rule on a game I have starting in two weeks. The rule is to avoid complex dips, the simple rule is if you start a prestige class you cannot take another prestige class until the first one is finished, however if I went fighter 6 kensai 1, i could continue taking fighter levels instead of the kensai ones, Do you think this is a fair rule?

JoshuaZ
2011-06-06, 08:22 PM
Im going to enact a rule on a game I have starting in two weeks. The rule is to avoid complex dips, the simple rule is if you start a prestige class you cannot take another prestige class until the first one is finished, however if I went fighter 6 kensai 1, i could continue taking fighter levels instead of the kensai ones, Do you think this is a fair rule?

This will prevent people from the more complicated dips and would harm only a small number of builds but I'm not sure I understand why you would want to do that. Is there a reason you object to complicated dips?

nysisobli
2011-06-06, 08:47 PM
I'm more in the flavor of playing not the let me be the biggest guy with the most powerful combos kinda gamer.

Lyndworm
2011-06-06, 09:27 PM
I actually like dips, but this would certainly be an effective rule for destroying them.

I think that you should play the character, not the build (excluding arenas and whatnot). Sometimes, a few dips here and there make a character stand out from the crowd and seem unique.

If I'm playing a build then dips are golden delicious awesome-sauce, and if I'm playing a character then dips help to express the individuality of the character is all.

JoshuaZ
2011-06-06, 11:20 PM
I actually like dips, but this would certainly be an effective rule for destroying them.

I think that you should play the character, not the build (excluding arenas and whatnot). Sometimes, a few dips here and there make a character stand out from the crowd and seem unique.

If I'm playing a build then dips are golden delicious awesome-sauce, and if I'm playing a character then dips help to express the individuality of the character is all.

I agree with Lyndworm.

Here's an example:A character who has a severe love/hate relationship with the undead and necromancy, who first raised all sorts of undead before repenting of that, but is still willing to use them when it helps, and occasionally falls off the wagon. To get this to work one wants to probably do something like wiz 3/clr 3 mystic theurge 2 and then alternating a few levels of Master of Radiance, Master of Shrouds and Pale Master. This is exactly the sort of thing that makes optimizers cringe.

And there's massive amounts of ridiculous optimization one can do that obeys your rule.