PDA

View Full Version : A question which has probably been asked before, re: powering up Monks

Serenity
2011-06-08, 10:36 PM
How much of a boost (and/or broken) would it be if, in an effort to make Monks more powerful, the DM granted them all the benefits of 3.5 Vow of Poverty (less the bonus Exalted Feats), without imposing any of the restrictions of the Vow?

Does your answer change at all depending on if it's the 3.5 or Pathfinder Monk under consideration?

Seerow
2011-06-08, 10:37 PM
Almost no benefit at all, and not really.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-08, 10:56 PM
Harsh, Seerow. VoP gives some nice bonuses, they just aren't good enough to make up for no magic items.

But for free.. It enhances an unarmed strike, so that opens up your neck slot more since you have a built in amulet of natural attacks. It gives an armor bonus, and monks don't wear armor anyway, and not needing to breathe makes drowning and inhaling poison much less likely.

Though it does seem a little unfair, since you're giving him persistent magical buffs (including free +8 Wis/+6 Dex/+4 Con/+2 Str) but its a monk. He could use the upgrades.

Remember that exalted bonuses only apply to good-aligned characters

Edit: I don't play Pathfinder. Can't help you there

Sypher667
2011-06-08, 10:56 PM
I have to say that itd be a good boost in power, though primarily due to the ability to use your gold for other things, instead of what the Vow grants. This is assuming a high magic campaign though. In a low magic campaign, thats quite jump. I dont know whether itd be broken or what-have-you, but itd definitely be better in either case.