PDA

View Full Version : [3.5, Base Class] Armored Reaver

NineThePuma
2011-06-13, 05:51 AM
This Class is Currently undergoing remodels.

Armored Reaver

"UAAAAAGH!" - King of Evil

The armoured reaver class was originally posted here (http://home.zipworld.com.au/~hong/dnd/armoured_reaver.htm), where it was intended to be used to represent any human(oid) tank or melee brute: a warrior who relies on strength, power and mighty blows to defeat his enemies.

This adaptation brings it down to a reasonable power level for working alongside Tier 3 classes, while simultaneously adding an element normally unseen among melee types.

Hit Die: d12

Starting Gold: As Fighter

Class Features

Class Skills: The Armored Reavers's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Martial Lore (Int), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points at First Level: (4+Int Modifier) x4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int Modifier

{table=head]{colsp=7}Features|{colsp=3}Maneuvers

Level|
BAB|
Fort|
Ref|
Will |Special |
Inspiration |
Maneuvers Known |
Maneuvers Readied |
Stances

1st|
1|
2|
0|
2|Dark Enthusiasm, Reaver|
3 |
5 |
5 |

2nd|
2|
3|
0|
3|Bonus Feat, Combat Aptitude|
3 |
5 |
5 |

3rd|
3|
3|
1|
3|Unstable Barrier |
5 |
6 |
5 |

4th|
4|
4|
1|
4|Damage Reduction 2/- |
5 |
6 |
5 |

5th|
5|
4|
1|
4|Wild Card Feat |
5 |
7 |
5 |

6th|
6|
5|
2|
5|Sacrifice |
7 |
7 |
5 |

7th|
7|
5|
2|
5| |
7 |
8 |
5 |

8th|
8|
6|
2|
6|Damage Reduction 4/-, Bonus Feat|
7 |
8 |
5 |

9th|
9|
6|
3|
6| |
9 |
9 |
5 |

10th|
10|
7|
3|
7| |
9 |
9 |
6 |

11th|
11|
7|
3|
7|Wild Card Feat |
9 |
10 |
6 |

12th|
12|
8|
4|
8|Damage Reduction 6/- |
11 |
10 |
6 |

13th|
13|
8|
4|
8| |
11 |
11 |
6 |

14th|
14|
9|
4|
9|Bonus Feat |
11 |
11 |
6 |

15th|
15|
9|
5|
9| |
13 |
12 |
6 |

16th|
16|
10|
5|
10|Damage Reduction 8/-|
13 |
12 |
6 |

17th|
17|
10|
5|
10|Wild Card Feat |
13 |
13 |
6 |

18th|
18|
11|
6|
11| |
15 |
13 |
6 |

19th|
19|
11|
6|
11| |
15 |
14 |
6 |

20th|
20|
12|
6|
12|Damage Reduction 10/-, Bonus Feat|
15 |
14 |
7 |
4 [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: The armoured reaver is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all types of armour and all shields.

Maneuvers
A 1st-level Armored Reaver has knowledge of three martial maneuvers. Armored Reavers have access to the Army of One (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5710173), Devoted Spirit, and Stone Dragon disciplines.

In order to use a maneuver, you must first ready it. Your maneuvers are extraordinary abilities unless otherwise stated. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and initiating a maneuver does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

You learn additional maneuvers as you gain more levels. You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisites to learn it. At 4th level, and each subsequent even level, you can exchange one of your maneuvers known for another maneuver of any level you are capable of initiating.

You can ready your maneuvers by exercising or meditating for 5 minutes. The maneuvers you choose remain readied until you choose to ready new maneuvers. You begin an encounter with all your readied maneuvers unexpended, but once you initiate it, it is expended. You can refresh all of your expended maneuvers by expending 2 inspiration points as a free action, though you cannot initiate a maneuver or change stances in the same round you refresh your maneuvers.

Stances
A 1st-level Armored Reaver knows one stance of any discipline available to him. At 3rd, 9th, and 15th levels, you learn an additional stance. Stances do not have to be readied, and are never expended. You can enter a stance or change stances as a swift action. Stances are extraordinary abilities unless otherwise noted.

Dark Enthusiasm (Ex): An armored reaver has a pool of inspiration points as indicated in the class table. He can use these points to fuel abilities as described in the Reaver ability; his pool is refreshed at the start of every encounter. An Armored Reaver does not qualify for the Font of Inspiration feat. Everytime an Armored Reaver deals damage with a Martial Maneuver (whether it is a strike or Counter), he gains 1 point of Inspiration.

Reaver: An armored reaver can expend inspiration points to activate these abilities. Activating one of these abilities costs a single inspiration point.
Furious Onslaught: As a swift action, the armoured reaver gains a morale bonus to attacks equal to his class level and extra damage equal to Xd6, where X is his charisma modifier until the start of his next turn.

Implacable Foe: As an immediate action, the armoured reaver gains an insight bonus to saves equal to one half his class level plus his charisma. This lasts until the start of his next turn.

Withstand the Tide: As an immediate action, the armoured reaver can gain DR equal to half his class level plus his charisma modifier. This DR cannot be bypassed. This DR stacks with any DR the Armoured Reaver has from armored reaver class levels. This lasts until the start of his next turn.

Soul of Fire: As an immediate action, the armoured reaver gains SR 10+half his class level plus his charisma modifier against one spell or spell-like ability that would affect him. This is a supernatural ability.

Indomitable Sentinel: As a move action, the armoured reaver can heal himself of damage. He regains lost hit points equal to his charisma modifer x his class level. His hit points cannot go above his normal maximum. This is a supernatural ability.

Combat Aptitude: Armored reaver class levels count as fighter levels for the purpose of qualifying for feats or prestige classes.

Bonus Feat: At 2nd level, an armored reaver gets a bonus combat-oriented feat. The armored reaver gains an additional bonus feat at 8th level and every six armored reaver levels thereafter (8th, 14th, and 20th). These bonus feats must be drawn from the feats noted as fighter bonus feats. An armored reaver must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

Unstable Shield (Su): At 3rd level, an Armored Reaver gains the ability to generate a barrier that lasts a number of rounds equal to his charisma modifier around himself or an ally as a move action. This shield grants temporary immunity to damage. When the shield absorbs a total of 5 points per class level of damage, it is destroyed. If this barrier is destroyed before the duration is up, it shatters, dealing 3 times class level untyped energy damage to enemies in a 10 foot burst.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 4th level, an Armored Reaver gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 2 from the damage the armored reaver takes each time she is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At 8th level, and every four armored reaver levels thereafter, this damage reduction rises by 2 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Wildcard Feat: At 5th level, the armoured reaver gains an open feat slot. As a free action once per encounter, she can fill this slot with any feat from the list of fighter bonus feats that she meets the prerequisites for. He keeps that feat for the duration of the encounter. She loses the use of the feat once the encounter is over, but she can select the same feat again in subsequent encounters. She gains another open feat slot at 11th level and every 6 level thereafter.

Sacrifice (Su): At 6th level, as a standard action, the Armored Reaver can sacrifice hit points to heal an ally within 30 ft by an amount equal to double the hit points sacrificed.

EdroGrimshell
2011-06-13, 11:27 AM
I like it, the abilities definitely scale nicely and it has some flexibility with those 'floating feats' and covers quite a few of the problems of the fighter class. I may just have to use this thing.

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-13, 11:30 AM
Why the alignment requirement? Alignment requirements on base classes tend to be annoying and counter-productive to a lot of concepts, and some DMs will ban the class straight-up for being "an evil class".

NineThePuma
2011-06-13, 11:40 AM
Mostly as a hold over from the class being a Villain Class. I wanted to keep the impression of an 'Evil' person, without saying you out and out absolutely must be evil.

I might add a 'usually' qualifier though.

But, really, is it any different from the Dread Necro or the Hex Blade? I've never had a DM say no to those.

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-13, 11:50 AM
But, really, is it any different from the Dread Necro or the Hex Blade? I've never had a DM say no to those.

I have. I also remove the alignment requirement from those two classes (disclaimer: I consider every word WotC has ever written regarding alignment to be a drug-fueled mistake). Aside from that, though, if I renamed your class features I could easily fluff this as a holy martyr type class (offering his life force to the Upper Planes in exchange for the power to destroy evil).

Mechanically, I suppose these folks are sound, if a little lacking in versatility. The Wildcard Feats are an interesting idea, but I'd love to see those dead levels filled by something - anything, really. The Soulfire inspiration abilities do seem a little underwhelming for their levels; maybe a couple more points of SR apiece would work out.

Think I could ask you to take a peek at the Malefator (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202885), my latest Hexblade rewrite?

NineThePuma
2011-06-13, 12:09 PM
Is spell resistance really that bad?

And I was impressed by the harrowed, will glance over yours when I'm not feeling so yawn-y.

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-13, 12:15 PM
Less that and more that with the way SR works, it actually becomes less and less effective against enemies of your level as the ability "improves".

NineThePuma
2011-06-13, 12:17 PM
Oh, I guess that's true. I could go to a 10+5 and +5 every upgrade scheme instead, I suppose. Would that be much better?

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-13, 12:20 PM
Oh, I guess that's true. I could go to a 10+5 and +5 every upgrade scheme instead, I suppose. Would that be much better?

Well, at level one when you pick it up, a caster needs to roll a 13 or better to tag you (which goes down to 12, 11, and then finally 10 before you upgrade to SR 18, at which point they need a 13 once more).

At level 20, when you're SR 30, a similarly-leveled caster needs a 10 or better. All you need to do is tweak the numbers a little.

NineThePuma
2011-06-13, 12:22 PM
Exponential stacking?

14-20-26-etc?

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-13, 12:26 PM
Should work out, yeah. I definitely feel that, since you're blowing a limited pool to grab the SR, it should start (when you get it) at the "enemy caster should roll a 13-15" range, depending on your particular feel on balance, and then get slightly less effective until replaced.

NineThePuma
2011-06-13, 12:30 PM
Personally, I'm of the opinion that vancian casters should go die in a fire. You burn witches, yo.

Honestly, while this was mostly built to try converting the Villain Class over, I'm strongly considering working other villain classes from the same source over to the Dark Enthusiasm system. I really like the Inspiration mechanic.

(Maybe it should be 14-19-25-31-38? At level 20, that's an 18 or higher...)

Random: *notes the membership* Jeeze, who HASN'T she gotten to dig their claws into her?

Dryad
2011-06-13, 12:44 PM
I'd put the Soulfire inspiration down as follows:
1: SR 11+Reaver lvl.
5: SR 12+Reaver lvl
10: SR 13+Reaver lvl
15: SR 14+Reaver lvl
20: SR 15+Reaver lvl.

That way, your SR scales with your level, as well as getting better when you reach certain level thresholds. In the end, your SR will be 4 higher than the average, which is incredibly good (casters of equal level would have to roll 15 (13 with the feat) or higher for the spell to take effect) but it won't last, because those inspiration points will run out, and points spent on Spell Resistance can't be spent elsewhere.
It would make her a stalwart guardian against casters, which, heavens know, we really need.
Without this kind of progression by level, though, your character would effectively lose SR as she gains levels, until she gains a new tier of [something] Reaver.

I really do love the idea of this class, even though I must admit that I, too, have problems with the alignment restriction. If you're planning on a defensive character, for instance, the 'tank,' then the obvious choice of alignment is 'good.' Most evil characters don't care enough about others to risk their hides protecting them. And Neutral characters tend to make sure they are safe before checking in on others.

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-13, 12:55 PM
I have to disagree with 'tank' being a solely Good concept; not only do Evil characters maintain minions, but Evil is allowed to feel love, loyalty, and even warmth; some Evil characters may even be convinced they're doing the right thing. Point is, if it's someone they care about, they'll protect them - or if they're being paid enough. Neutral characters are basically the same, but less so.

NineThePuma
2011-06-13, 12:56 PM
Psh. No one can KILL a tank, and no one TRIES, because there are squishier things to kill. >=3

Originally, ALL the Reaver abilities were based on level, with the exception of Furious Onslaught, which was a flat +2/+2d6. Saves/DR were based on half your level, while SR was full level. Heal was 5x class level.

Perhaps I should offer an accelerated Inspiration gain? Instead of one point every 3, have it increase by 2 every three, and have a 3 as the base? It comes out to 15 at level 20.

Lord_Gareth
2011-06-13, 12:59 PM
Psh. No one can KILL a tank, and no one TRIES, because there are squishier things to kill. >=3

This is actually a problem; if he's supposed to be tanking for the party/villains, there needs to be a reason to attack him. As of right now, there is not. He needs something like Iron Guard's Glare or another ability that gives the enemy a reason to care he exists, or else they'll just blitz past him to assault the mage.

Lappy9000
2011-06-13, 04:19 PM
This is actually a problem; if he's supposed to be tanking for the party/villains, there needs to be a reason to attack him. As of right now, there is not. He needs something like Iron Guard's Glare or another ability that gives the enemy a reason to care he exists, or else they'll just blitz past him to assault the mage.A problem you can't solve without either implementing an aggro mechanic, increasing the power above Tier 3, or nerfing casters. In light of the goal being Tier 3, this really isn't something to worry about, especially when the class succeeds in a simple and concise manner.

I think it's great!

Malibar
2011-06-14, 07:57 AM
How does Inspiration work? I don't see a cost to activate/maintain the Reaver abilities. I think you mentioned that it was part of another system. Where can I find information about it?

NineThePuma
2011-06-14, 08:44 AM
The inspiration system was originally used by the Factotum (which can be found in Dungeonscape), as a 'per encounter' resource. It allowed the factotum to add its Int score to various things, at the cost of points of inspiration. At later levels it could do CRAZY AWESOME stuff with inspiration, like gain additional standard actions.

What I'm doing is taking the concept of a 'per encounter' resource and combining it with the concepts introduced in Tome of Battle. This particular class ended up integrating something I'm not too happy about the execution of (a sort of 'cast from hit points' Stance that is supposed to greatly enhance your damage dealing capabilities; I don't think they quite got the 'glass cannon mode' feel right, though and I may tweak them.) in place of a more normal goal that I'm planning on working out with my next conceptual class.

EDIT:
Now, I've updated the class to use a different SR method, and have a faster (though still linear) progression of Inspiration Points.

While I have 'dead levels' I think of them as pseudo-dead, as you gain additional points of inspiration at those levels.

Greenish
2011-06-14, 05:06 PM
The DR (both from inspiration and the normal) scales really poorly.

Also, as an aside, I find having multiple class features with the same name that do different things (Weapon Aptitude) annoying.

NineThePuma
2011-06-14, 05:36 PM
INSIGHTFUL STRIKE!

Yeah, I happen to like my weapon aptitude better than the Warblade one. But, really, oh well.

Greenish
2011-06-14, 06:31 PM
INSIGHTFUL STRIKE!Hehe, yeah, two class abilities and a maneuver. "Holy Warrior" is pretty bad, too.

Yeah, I happen to like my weapon aptitude better than the Warblade one. But, really, oh well.Well, the warblade one is actually useful, beside of just luring people who don't know any better into Weapon Focus chain. :smallwink:

NineThePuma
2011-07-17, 12:40 PM
Major update. Rescaled the DR and addressed Greenish's concerns about having stuff be named the same.

YouLostMe
2011-07-17, 12:57 PM
Indomitable Sentinel isn't healing huge amounts of HPs, really, so I recommend making it into a Swift Action.

In other news, TIEM 4 BBEG

NineThePuma
2011-07-17, 01:05 PM
More like TIEM 4 DRAGON! As the BBEG should always be a caster of some kind.

The healing is low, but if the AR has inspiration at the end of an encounter, they can just dump it all into healing themselves.

I will admit that the various 'Unholy Stances' are actually bringing me some disappointment, as they don't seem to be as awesome as I thought they would be.

Hyudra
2011-07-17, 02:41 PM
I think inspiration points for this class should be renamed, and probably be tweaked enough that you can outline how they work without blatantly ripping off copyrighted material.

'Inspiration' point implies a sort of creativity and mental flexibility, eureka moments and ingenuity. That doesn't really flow with the class concept.

NineThePuma
2011-07-17, 03:42 PM
Meh. Inspiration Points might be copyright, and the mechanics might be, but so is half of everything.

And I felt that, considering the class feature name (Dark Enthusiasm), Inspiration fit nicely.

When I stop staring at DotA with rapt attention, I'm going to probably start on another class for this.