PDA

View Full Version : Reassigning Hotkeys

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-13, 01:16 PM
Warning, I am in no way computer literate, so the title could be completely off.

My problem is this. My "z" key has stopped working. Ctrl+z is Edit Undo and I use it a lot. Is there someway to make some other key take responsibility for this?

Oh, I'm running Vista, since that's probably needed info.

valadil
2011-06-13, 01:23 PM
Globally? I doubt it but I hope someone proves me wrong. You'd probably have to do this per application and even then, not all applications will support it. Getting a new keyboard is a better option. They're cheap.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-13, 01:26 PM
Globally? I doubt it but I hope someone proves me wrong. You'd probably have to do this per application and even then, not all applications will support it. Getting a new keyboard is a better option. They're cheap.

For a laptop?

And I guess globally, but whatever works. I'd like it for Paint and Word though, assuming it doesn't take 3 days of work.

valadil
2011-06-13, 01:27 PM
For a laptop?

Depends on the model, but IIRC they're usually in the $50 range. Not too hard to replace either to be honest.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-13, 01:46 PM
Depends on the model, but IIRC they're usually in the $50 range. Not too hard to replace either to be honest.

Well, it's only 1 key.

Savannah
2011-06-13, 07:52 PM
If you're running Word 2007, I know how to change the keys needed. There are two options, either learning to use an existing alternate shortcut, or creating a macro for the "undo" function that uses an alternate shortcut (creating the macro looks way longer, but that's because I've written it out in detail; it's really not hard).

Shorter method that doesn't let you pick the keys to use:
Up at the very very top of the screen is a little toolbar with the undo arrow. It's this one: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3199/undox.png

Now, hit Alt. You should see little numbers pop up under the buttons on that toolbar. Now hit whatever number corresponds to the undo arrow (I think it should be 1, but I've customized my Word a lot, so I'm not sure). That's undo. Once you know the number, you can always hit Alt+1 (or whatever number) to undo.

Longer method that lets you pick the keys to use:
Before you do anything, make sure that there's something in your document for you to undo. So type something.

First, you need to get the Developer tab up. If it's not the far right tab (it's not by default), go to your start button -> Word Options. From there, choose "Show Developer tab in ribbon". It's a checkbox that should be on the first section visible. Then click "okay" at the bottom of the screen and you should see Developer as the far right tab.

Now, go to Developer. In the leftmost section of commands, you'll find "Record Macro". Click on that.

Give the macro a name (I suggest "alternate undo"). Make sure that the option "Store Macro in" reads "All Documents (Normal.dotm)" so that the macro will be usable everywhere. You can add a description, although it's not required. I find it very helpful to give a description saying what the macro does and what keystrokes you're using, in case you forget later. Finally, click "Keyboard".

Your cursor should be flashing in "Press new shortcut key". As it says, enter the shortcut that you want to use in place of Ctr+Z. Enter it exactly as you would on the keyboard (in other words, you'd press the control key and z, not type out "Ctrl+Z"). Now hit close.

You are currently recording a macro (there's a little video tape symbol under your mouse cursor). On the little toolbar at the very very top of the screen, click the "undo" arrow. It's this one: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3199/undox.png Now click "Stop Recording" on the Developer tab. You must not do anything but undo between hitting Close and hitting Stop Recording. From now on, using the keystrokes you chose as your shortcut will undo.

Let me know if any of that is unclear :smallsmile:

I have no idea for Paint, sorry.

factotum
2011-06-14, 01:27 AM
For a laptop?

Unless it's from the Stone Age your laptop should have USB ports, and an external USB keyboard won't cost much! Kills the portability somewhat, obviously...

Incidentally, Alt+Backspace is already an alternate way of doing an Undo, so you could use that instead. Certainly works in Paint on Windows 7.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-06-14, 08:29 AM
If you're running Word 2007, I know how to change the keys needed. There are two options, either learning to use an existing alternate shortcut, or creating a macro for the "undo" function that uses an alternate shortcut (creating the macro looks way longer, but that's because I've written it out in detail; it's really not hard).

Shorter method that doesn't let you pick the keys to use:
Up at the very very top of the screen is a little toolbar with the undo arrow. It's this one: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3199/undox.png

Now, hit Alt. You should see little numbers pop up under the buttons on that toolbar. Now hit whatever number corresponds to the undo arrow (I think it should be 1, but I've customized my Word a lot, so I'm not sure). That's undo. Once you know the number, you can always hit Alt+1 (or whatever number) to undo.

Longer method that lets you pick the keys to use:
Before you do anything, make sure that there's something in your document for you to undo. So type something.

First, you need to get the Developer tab up. If it's not the far right tab (it's not by default), go to your start button -> Word Options. From there, choose "Show Developer tab in ribbon". It's a checkbox that should be on the first section visible. Then click "okay" at the bottom of the screen and you should see Developer as the far right tab.

Now, go to Developer. In the leftmost section of commands, you'll find "Record Macro". Click on that.

Give the macro a name (I suggest "alternate undo"). Make sure that the option "Store Macro in" reads "All Documents (Normal.dotm)" so that the macro will be usable everywhere. You can add a description, although it's not required. I find it very helpful to give a description saying what the macro does and what keystrokes you're using, in case you forget later. Finally, click "Keyboard".

Your cursor should be flashing in "Press new shortcut key". As it says, enter the shortcut that you want to use in place of Ctr+Z. Enter it exactly as you would on the keyboard (in other words, you'd press the control key and z, not type out "Ctrl+Z"). Now hit close.

You are currently recording a macro (there's a little video tape symbol under your mouse cursor). On the little toolbar at the very very top of the screen, click the "undo" arrow. It's this one: http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3199/undox.png Now click "Stop Recording" on the Developer tab. You must not do anything but undo between hitting Close and hitting Stop Recording. From now on, using the keystrokes you chose as your shortcut will undo.

Let me know if any of that is unclear :smallsmile:

I have no idea for Paint, sorry.

I thank you for your helpful advice, but ...

Unless it's from the Stone Age your laptop should have USB ports, and an external USB keyboard won't cost much! Kills the portability somewhat, obviously...

Incidentally, Alt+Backspace is already an alternate way of doing an Undo, so you could use that instead. Certainly works in Paint on Windows 7.

This works in both Paint and Word so it's good enough for me. Thank you the both of you. :smallbiggrin: