PDA

View Full Version : I got into boot camp!

CreganTur
2011-06-14, 12:51 PM
A few years ago I participated in an iron authors competition here. It was fun, but RL kept me from keeping up.

My writing has been at a stand still for a few years as I've been focusng on my other hobby: painting miniatures. I was doing commission work, which means money, which meant a higher priority. I'm starting to swing back into writing again, especially due to recent events.

My mother found out that Orson Scott Card was doing his annual writer's workshop and boot camp in Greensboro this year, which is where I live, and she knows how much of a passion I have for writing. Long story short, she offered to pay my tuition as a birthday gift if I got accepted.

For those who don't know, to get into the boot camp you have to be chosen based on the FIRST PAGE only of a short story you've written. There are only 14 slots for the boot camp, which the workshop is open to a lot more people (workshop is first 2 days, boot camp is last 4 days of the conference). I rooted through all my short stories and finally settled on the first page of the story that got an honorable mention in the Writers of the Future contest.

I found out that i've been accepted into the boot camp! I'm very excited and can't wait for August.

There's some preparation required- reading OSC's book about writing ahead of time and using the information to do a critical self review of your own stories and writing style. Thankfully, they are providing a free copy of the book as a part of the tuition fee.

I've never been a blogger, but I'm thinking about writing a short term blog about my preparation for and experiences at the workshop/boot camp. I'll post a link when I start it up. Got to wait for the book to arrive first, though.

leakingpen
2011-06-14, 01:01 PM
To let you know, unless your politics match his, be prepared to deal with a LOT of preaching that may be hard to swallow. I've heard his boot camps have very much become indoctrination camps. Which sucks, as he's such an awesome writer, and his older works had such vibrancy, that hes let it be overshadowed that way.

Congrats though!

CreganTur
2011-06-15, 12:11 PM
For anyone interested, I started my blog: http://cregantur.wordpress.com/

CreganTur
2011-06-30, 07:44 AM
I've got a few (hopefully) interesting articles about writing up on my blog (cregantur.wordpress.com) that are my thoughts and responses to Orson Scott Card's writing book (Characters and Viewpoints). We're requried to read it before Boot Camp. It's been an interesting and though provoking read. I hope my ramblings may be a little help, or at least thought provoking, to any of the other writers on this forum.

CreganTur
2011-08-19, 12:17 PM
The Literary Boot Camp was a fantastic experience and I learned a lot!

One of the best things is that I came out of it with a story idea that OSC thinks I could start a career with, as long as I fully develop it and tell a good story.

leakingpen
2011-08-21, 06:03 AM
Rock awesome! Hey, if you aren't already familiar with it, I would heartily suggest www.bookcountry.com