View Full Version : [Base]Starcry

Cipher Stars
2011-06-14, 07:36 PM
Angel di Acciaio
Starcry
http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/lexal/NeoAngel.png

"Blasphemy, Ingenuity. call it what you may, but I call it power"

Quick overview in the form of an interview segment:
"Why am I doing this again... Pfft, what do I care if no one knows of my kind? Fine.
I could use a few platinum your offering. I'm a Starcry or what ever, I prefer 'ace'. much easier on the tongue and doesn't sound like something a teenage girl came up with.,,, alright alright, moving on. I like metal, a lot. Not like you normal people would understand, but I seek to leave behind those fleshy bags of meat you wear and become something more, something immortal. Maybe even omnipotent someday. ~anonymous.

Adventures:
Starcries adventure for a few reasons, gathering resources, and information, as well as test driving their new parts.

Characteristics:
Starcries come in varieties of shapes, sizes and genders. They all seek one thing: perfection. How do they seek it? Modification. They collect and find means and methods, and overtime they add and replace until they are "perfect".

Religion:
Starcries, if they do worship, worship the Star Empress. A goddess of Advancement, Progression, and Technology, One of few deities who accepts they're blasphemous attempts at godhood. Even if they do not worship her, that is where there power comes from, Star isn't picky.

Other Classes:
Starcry get along with anyone as well as the other.

Role:
Striker to minor healer.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Starcries have the following game statistics.
Abilities:
Charisma, Intelligence, and Constitution to survive the modifications (fluff wise)
Hit Die:
d10
Starting Age:
As rogue
Starting Gold:
4d8x10

Class Skills
The Starcry's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...

Skill Points at First Level:
(8 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level:
6 + Int modifier

The Starcry
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Modification,

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Modification,

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Starlight

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Modification, Star's Gift

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Modification

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Starlight

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5| Modification

8th|
+6/1|
+6|
+2|
+6|Modification, Star's Gift

9th|
+6/1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Starlight

10th|
+7/2|
+7|
+3|
+7| Modification

11th|
+8/3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Modification

12th|
+9/4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Starlight, Star's Gift

13th|
+9/4|
+8|
+4|
+8| Modification

14th|
+10/5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Modification

15th|
+11/6/1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Starlight

16th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10| Modification, Star's Gift

17th|
+12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10| Modification

18th|
+13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Starlight

19th|
+14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11| Modification

20th|
+15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Modification, Star's Gift[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Starcry
Appraise, Balance, Concentration, Craft: (Metalworking), one other craft of choice, Decipher Script, Disguise, Forgery, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledge (Any two), Search, Spot, Use Magic Device.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies:
Starcry are proficient with all armors, all shields including tower shields, and simple to martial weapons.

Modification:
At each Modification level you can make a craft: Metalworking check to implant an item into your body. Every two Modification levels you can implant an item with the next enhancement bonus, starting at 0 at first level, +1 at 2, +2 at 4 and so on.
DC = 10 +5 per enhancement level. Every 2 ranks in Heal grants a +1 to this check.
On a fail you take 1d4 constitution damage +2 per enhancement level. ability damage returns naturally, And the implant failed and the item becomes useless from all the reworking done on it to make it usable as an implant.
You must actually possess the item of course.
An implanted item does not count against Magic Item slots, But each limb can only support so much.
Either arm can only support 10% Light Load of total implanted item weight, Star's Gift limbs can support 50%
Either leg can support 20% Light Load of total implanted item weight, Star's Gift limbs can support 50%
Torso can support 50% light load of total implanted item weight, With the Star's Skeletal reinforcement this increases to 80%
Head can only support 5% at first, then with the Skeletal Reinforcement this increases to 15%
Implanted magic item can be removed with a Heal DC (+2 for every 5 Craft) equal to Craft DC used to implant the item in the first place.

Starlight:
The Goddess of Progress blesses you with power from her domains. The at each Starlight level the Starcry gains 1/2 Charisma modifier of spells from the Divination school, Healing Subschool, or with the [light] descriptor from previous spell levels, or the new spell level gained. These spells to not need material components costing less then 5gp. and divides the xp costs by 2 if more then 50. She uses Charisma as her primary casting stat. Each spell gained is usable a number of times per day equal to the Starcry's Charisma modifier.

3rd 1st level spells
6th 2nd level spells
9th 3rd level spells
12th 4th level spells, 1st level spells now at will.
15th 5th level spells. 2nd level spells now at will.
18th 6th level spells. 3rd level spells now at will.

Star's Gift:
The Goddess of Progress smiles upon your efforts! She delvers a special item usable for modification that appears nearby as the Starcry sleeps. If damaged or destroyed in combat, the item(s) can appear again. These item have an enhancement bonus effect equal to half the level you received them at for the purpose of determining craft DC.

4th: Star Eyes: Golden eyes provide See in Dark ability, Your unaffected by darkness and magical darkness if the caster level is equal to or lower then half your level.
8th: Star Limbs: A golden set of arms and legs have hardness 20, and 90hp each. They provide, total, +4 STR, +2 DEX, and are unaffected by spells such as Wither Limb. The legs work better then normal and grant +10ft to your speed.
12th: Star Wings: A golden set of wings provides a fly speed of twice your land speed with good maneuverability. This of course, gives some bonuses to things like +10 Jump, and situational modifier to things the DM sees fit.
16th: Star Skeleton: A set of golden bone reinforcements appear. This skeleton backs up your natural frame with ease, halving all falling damage and giving you DR 5/-
20th: Star Skin: A mesh of golden skinweave appears by the blessing of the Star Empress. This skin implants itself into existing skin, it provides DR 10/- that stacks with that of the Skeleton. Your now immune to critical hits, and natural heat and cold.

Note: Golden gleam can easily be removed, changed, or altered if disliked. Cosmetic changes can almost as easily make these gifts appear normal with a disguise check DC= normal DC for craft check +1 for every 2 heal and +1 for every 2 Craft: Metalworking.
This disguise check need only be made once per change.
You may also need items such as feathers or something to make the Wings look normal, for example.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-14, 08:01 PM
This is an interesting take...it's kind of a hybrid of your Colossai class and my Sword of Heaven class, complete with mixed fluff. The mechanics are good, the spells are good, I have a few questions, however.

Why decrease the skill points from 1st level? I get 8+Int at first level, then 6+Int every level afterwards? No class does that, it's a bit...bizarre. And there's no real explanation for it so...

You mention the Divine casting, which is balanced and helpful, but you didn't mention the casting stat. I know the character gets 1/2 his Cha in spells learned, but is his Charisma needed to tell the highest level of spell he can cast? What the DC for those spells is? (Some Divination spells, such as scrying, allow a saving throw) How often can he cast per day?

Also, you haven't listed his class skills yet, but I guess you realize that.

If you made this class for the reason I think you did, then I must say that I am flattered, Star, thank you.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-14, 08:08 PM
This is an interesting take...it's kind of a hybrid of your Colossai class and my Sword of Heaven class, complete with mixed fluff. The mechanics are good, the spells are good, I have a few questions, however.

Why decrease the skill points from 1st level? I get 8+Int at first level, then 6+Int every level afterwards? No class does that, it's a bit...bizarre. And there's no real explanation for it so...

You mention the Divine casting, which is balanced and helpful, but you didn't mention the casting stat. I know the character gets 1/2 his Cha in spells learned, but is his Charisma needed to tell the highest level of spell he can cast? What the DC for those spells is? (Some Divination spells, such as scrying, allow a saving throw) How often can he cast per day?

Also, you haven't listed his class skills yet, but I guess you realize that.

If you made this class for the reason I think you did, then I must say that I am flattered, Star, thank you.

I figured it was time someone made a reason why people separate the two like that, First level and then onward.
The Starcry started off their lives learning, That slows down once they reach practical application and instead are spending time applying the modifications and learning to control new powers granted from Star, while leaving it high, it is a lower progression then when they first started out.

Fixing everything else out now, and yes, I usually save Class Skills for last.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-14, 08:22 PM
Also, having wings generally gives you a +10 bonus on Jump checks (it's like a benefit of wings that needs to be explained because wings aren't just a "thing")

Cipher Stars
2011-06-14, 08:23 PM
Also, having wings generally gives you a +10 bonus on Jump checks (it's like a benefit of wings that needs to be explained because wings aren't just a "thing")

Really? I'd figure you wouldn't have a jump skill at all anymore, little to no need.

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-14, 08:24 PM
Really? I'd figure you wouldn't have a jump skill at all anymore, little to no need.

It's to help take-off, fluff-wise.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-14, 08:26 PM
It's to help take-off, fluff-wise.

Yea, added just after my post.

Gideon Falcon
2011-06-16, 01:45 PM
The modification ability needs more details. Most magic items do not involve enhancement bonuses, and enhancement bonuses are not all the same. What about stuff like cloaks of resistance, or wings of flight?

Cipher Stars
2011-06-16, 03:22 PM
The modification ability needs more details. Most magic items do not involve enhancement bonuses, and enhancement bonuses are not all the same. What about stuff like cloaks of resistance, or wings of flight?

I'm pretty certain that they do, equivalences that is. Since it doesn't go past +5 it mentioned that the charts 0-+10 was also for determining magic enhancements.

Gideon Falcon
2011-06-16, 05:57 PM
So a +2 enhancement bonus to strength, for 4,000, is equivalent to a +2 enhancement bonus to attack and damage, for 8,000?

Having 20 slots to attach magic weapons to your body is excessive, as very few people are going to have that many. You also provide no mechanical benefits for having the items attached to you.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-16, 07:10 PM
So a +2 enhancement bonus to strength, for 4,000, is equivalent to a +2 enhancement bonus to attack and damage, for 8,000?

err... Please repeat the question?

Having 20 slots to attach magic weapons to your body is excessive, as very few people are going to have that many. You also provide no mechanical benefits for having the items attached to you.
Better?

Gideon Falcon
2011-06-16, 07:37 PM
There are several items which provide enhancement bonuses to different abilities. bonuses to different abilities are vastly different in power. You can't put a +5 bonus to attack rolls in the same tier as a +5 bonus to appraise checks, because they are completely different power levels. You need to base the DC's and availability on price, rather than an inconsistent measure of power that many items don't even have. Boots of flight don't have an enhancement bonus, so how do you use them?

In addition, it's rather underwhelming as an ability, basically taking the "I have a weapon" ability of the EPH Soulknife and makes you have to purchase it with WBL. Yes, you do have spells and a few higher-level abilities, but it doesn't add up to a very powerful class.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-16, 07:42 PM
There are several items which provide enhancement bonuses to different abilities. bonuses to different abilities are vastly different in power. You can't put a +5 bonus to attack rolls in the same tier as a +5 bonus to appraise checks, because they are completely different power levels. You need to base the DC's and availability on price, rather than an inconsistent measure of power that many items don't even have. Boots of flight don't have an enhancement bonus, so how do you use them?

In addition, it's rather underwhelming as an ability, basically taking the "I have a weapon" ability of the EPH Soulknife and makes you have to purchase it with WBL. Yes, you do have spells and a few higher-level abilities, but it doesn't add up to a very powerful class.

Well, more powerful then the Fighter xD

Anyway, Based on Price? hm... how would I go about that...