PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Prestige Class: The Runner

Person_Man
2011-06-17, 11:22 AM
So someone over on another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203489) asked for a running based prestige class. I wasn't happy with our current options, so I whipped up a new one.

Does anyone have any other running based ideas that they can think of, or suggestions on how I can make this a better PrC? Should I just dump the bonus feats and make it a 5 level PrC? Add more abilities? Add bonus feats to my list? Change stuff?

The Runner

http://ology.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/post-image/logans-run-michael-yorke.jpg

"Run Runner!"

Requires: Jump 8 Ranks, base land speed of 40 ft or higher.

Hit Die: d8

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Skills: The runner's class skills are Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Architecture), Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Geography), Knowledge (Nature), Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Swim, and Tumble.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The runner does not gain any additional weapon or armor proficiency.

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Fast Movement
1st | + 1 | + 2 | + 2 | + 0 | Run, Endurance, Quick Reactions | +10
2nd | + 2 | + 3 | + 3 | + 0 | Parkour | +20
3rd | + 3 | + 3 | + 3 | + 1 | Bonus Feat| +30
4th | + 4 | + 4 | + 4 | + 1 | Running Skills | +40
5th | + 5 | + 4 | + 4 | + 1 | Bonus Feat | +50
6th | + 6 | + 5 | + 5 | + 2 | Momentum | +60
7th | + 7 | + 5 | + 5 | + 2 | Bonus Feat | +70
8th | + 8 | + 6 | + 6 | + 2 | Tireless | +80
9th | + 9 | + 6 | + 6 | + 3 | Bonus Feat | +90
10th | + 10 | + 7 | + 7 | + 3 | Freedom of Movement | +100
[/table]

Class Features:

Bonus Feats: At 1st level the runner gains Run and Endurance as bonus feats, even if he otherwise does not qualify. If he already has either of these feats, he may choose any other feat from the list below in it's place.

At every odd runner level thereafter, the runner gains an additional bonus feat from the following list, even if he does not otherwise qualify for it (he is not required to take Dodge before taking Mobility or Shot on the Run, for example): Brachiation (Comp Adv), Combat Acrobat (PHBII), Cunning Sidestep (Draconomicon), Dash (Comp War), Dodge, Evasive Reflexes (ToB), Fleet of Foot (Comp War), Roofwalker (Races of Destiny), Mobility, Shot on the Run (Comp Adv), Sidestep (Miniatures Handbook), or Spring Attack.

Quick Reactions (Ex): The runner gains a bonus to his Initiative equal to his runner class level (max 10 at 10th level). This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Fast Movement (Ex): The runner gains a bonus to his base land speed equal to 10 times his runner class level (max 100 at 10th level). This bonus stacks with Fast Movement bonuses from all other sources. This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Parkour (Ex): The runner may move, run, or charge through difficult terrain of any type (undergrowth, stairs, rubble, caltrops, and even terrain created by magic or other effects) at his normal speed without taking damage or having his movement slowed or impaired in any way. His movement does not spring traps that he is aware of (though if he may still spring and suffer from traps he is not aware of). He does not take damage from falling any distance equal to his class level times 10 feet (the same as his Fast Movement bonus). The runner can move on walls and other surfaces as if he had the Up the Walls (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Up_the_Walls) feat, as if he is always psionically focused. In addition, he does not suffer any penalties for moving at full speed when using the Balance, Climb, Tumble Skills. The runner is still effected by magic or other effects that otherwise reduces movement without effecting the terrain, such as Solid Fog.

This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Evasive Skitter (Ex): The runner gains the Evasion ability. If he already has the Evasion ability, he instead gains Improved Evasion. In addition, whenever the runner successfully avoids all of the damage from an area of effect attack (such as a fireball or dragon's breath), as an Immediate action the runner may move to any unoccupied space of his choice which borders the outside of the area of effect. This ability only function when the runner is wearing no armor or light armor, and is not encumbered.

Momentum (Ex): The runner gains the Pounce ability. In addition, on the first melee attack roll of his turn the runner gains a Circumstance bonus equal to the number of feet he has moved since the beginning of that round divided by 25. (This includes any movement from Evasive Skitter, Evasive Reflexes, etc). For example, if the runner had Charged 100 feet to attack his target, he would gain a +4 Circumstance bonus to-hit on his first attack roll, and could then complete his full attack with his Pounce ability.

Tireless (Ex): The runner has run for so long that he never tires. He becomes immune to all Fatigue, Exhaustion, and Sleep effects. He no longer needs to sleep, although he must still rest/meditate if he wishes to regain spells, power points, etc. In addition, he has reached such perfect consistency in his Parkour Skills that he may Take 10 on all Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks, even while threatened or rushed.

Freedom of Movement (Ex): The runner is effected by a continuous Freedom of Movement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/freedomOfMovement.htm) effect. Because it is extraordinary it is always in effect and cannot be suppressed.

Wyntonian
2011-06-17, 01:06 PM
I'd like to suggest something like skirmish damage/ac bonuses. as it is, this isn't the best class for really anything but mobility, and I'd like to see if I can use it in a game. Also, as an endurance/trail runner, I feel like the class could use Survival as a class skill. Just thoughts, but this looks like a great start, and not just a hypothetical exercise.

Oh, and just for the sake of balance, consider giving it 3/4 BAB. As it is, it's already pretty dang good.

Thrawn183
2011-06-17, 01:12 PM
I'd like to see something about dodge, mobility and spring attack. There isn't much point in being mobile if you fall into all of the traps of standard non-magical characters.

SamBurke
2011-06-17, 01:14 PM
This is VERY nice... I might need to show this to one of my players.

Merk
2011-06-17, 01:16 PM
Some ideas:

Run on the surface of water and on the wind itself (ex flight)
A scaling "dash" attack that damages the enemy by literally moving through its body at a high speed
Move as a swift/immediate action
More options for Momentum, gained earlier: you can build it up via movement, and "release" it during an attack to add damage or special effects
Movement causes invisibility
Movement creates "after-images"
Run so far and so fast you run right past the edge of the universe, ending up in another plane entirely (i.e., Earthbound-style teleports)
Run so fast you travel through time
Run so fast you bypass solid and magical barriers

Hyooz
2011-06-17, 01:23 PM
By using the Run action, the Runner can, in fact, run a mile in 1 minute. If you take the Run feat (which, frankly, this should probably get at some point for free :smalltongue:) you can run a mile in 45 seconds.

520 feet in 6 seconds.

This isn't so much a criticism or a balance concern as much as it is hilarious and awesome.

EDIT: Toss a Haste on him and he's running the mile in ~30 seconds.

Seerow
2011-06-17, 01:28 PM
Some ideas:

Run on the surface of water and on the wind itself (ex flight)
A scaling "dash" attack that damages the enemy by literally moving through its body at a high speed
Move as a swift/immediate action
More options for Momentum, gained earlier: you can build it up via movement, and "release" it during an attack to add damage or special effects
Run so far and so fast you run right past the edge of the universe, ending up in another plane entirely (i.e., Earthbound-style teleports)

I agree with these. Also I'd say add Wall Running, letting the guy just run up walls and on cielings, as long as he continues to spend a move action moving at least half his move speed each round.

[edit: Just noticed that this is covered by the up the walls feat. Apparently that feat is better than I thought, though being able to end a move action still horizontal or upside down would be an awesome upgrade to the ability that this class should get.]

I'd like to see something about dodge, mobility and spring attack. There isn't much point in being mobile if you fall into all of the traps of standard non-magical characters.

Also seconding this, but going to go further and say give spring attack without needing the prereqs, then give the followup feats from PHB2 for free as well. So you can move and take 3 attacks.

Maybe also give a skirmish progression? This seems like a great fit for a scout or swift hunter.

Phosphate
2011-06-17, 02:48 PM
You can do something like I did for my Sire with this: give him a Phase-like ability, basically, an extraordinary Greater Teleport.

Also, I would lawl if a monk took this.

SamBurke
2011-06-17, 02:58 PM
Some ideas:

Not sure about these... They seem a little over-powered... Superhero-ish. Of course, characters are superherose.

Seerow
2011-06-17, 03:07 PM
Not sure about these... They seem a little over-powered... Superhero-ish. Of course, characters are superherose.

The things he listed are the sorts of things that characters should be doing at high levels. Being able to run so fast you run on water, or on air, by level 15 isn't a stretch. Wizards started doing it at level 5. Most of the things listed are 1st-4th level spells, perfectly acceptable for someone to be doing at will by mid levels.

About the only one that's really pushing it is running so fast you travel through time. But something like time stop for running would be cool (you gain 1d4+1 rounds where you can do nothing but run)

NeoSeraphi
2011-06-17, 03:10 PM
I think he should get a kind of super Mobility ability, instead of a bonus to AC when he provokes for moving, I think he should get some kind of miss chance or concealment, just based on how fast he moves. (By the time you swing, I'm already out of that five foot square)

Maybe 5% per class level, max 50% miss chance against attacks of opportunity for moving through threatened squares?

Qwertystop
2011-06-17, 03:13 PM
edit: Just noticed that this is covered by the up the walls feat. Apparently that feat is better than I thought, though being able to end a move action still horizontal or upside down would be an awesome upgrade to the ability that this class should get.

Actually, Up the Walls does not let you run on ceilings, only on "relatively smooth" vertical surfaces like walls.

Also, since it only says that you auto-fall if you do not end your move on a horizontal surface. If you had some way to get onto the ceiling, Up the Walls would not make you fall. Then again, I can't think of any way to get onto the ceiling that wouldn't have its own rules for whether you fall, or indeed any that would involve Up the Walls at all.

wayfare
2011-06-17, 03:45 PM
Really good start. And a good finish if you want to leave it as is.

If I may offer a suggestion or two:

1) Make the speed bonus an enhancement bonus. This allows the class to use its fast movement and still full attack in the same round. I know you cover this in Momentum, but granting it earlier wouldn't be a bad thing.

2) Momentum could easily be 1/10 of the speed bonus granted divided between Attack, Damage, and AC for the runner.

Edit: Also, perhaps a bonus to jump?

Hope this helps

jiriku
2011-06-17, 08:12 PM
As written, yes, I'd agree with reducing it to a 5-level class and dispensing with the bonus feats. I'd also suggest reducing the prerequisites for entry so the class can be entered at 4th or 5th level (as with the Extreme Explorer and Master Inquisitive from ECS, which are similar in scope and feel).

If you want this to run ten levels (pun intended), then it needs a lot more juice. Merk's suggestions are right in line with the options you should be considering.