PDA

View Full Version : homebrew minitures

kringle13
2011-06-19, 10:21 AM
Some friends and I recently started a table top game at my house (pathfinder) while I wanted to have miniatures I didn't have the funds for such. Solution : polymer clay. What I ended up with is figures just over an inch and a half on a one inch base (ill post pics here in a fiew min) but I've had trouble getting much detail into them. Opinions? What have other peoples done for miniatures? Etc.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3068/5848573095_84628ec107_z.jpg

IncoherentEssay
2011-06-19, 03:20 PM
For the scale that's pretty good, especially if those are the 'first batch' :smallsmile:.

If you plan to only use homebrew minis, you could always up the scale a bit. Gives you more leeway with the details when it doesn't come down to tiny fractions of mm.

Tools will obviously help with detail work. You don't need any fancy 'dedicated sculpting tools', a simple sharp knife can go a long way. A sharp point, a cutting edge, a straight blunt edge and a few different degrees of rounded blunt edge have been sufficient for my needs.

You could also "outsource" the detailwork. Most wargaming multi-part kits have a surplus of arms and heads that you could use in your minis. Of course there is no point in buying a kit you only plan to use <5% of, so see if you can get the bits from someone who already has extra bits from the hobby. Might need to pay them a little but will most likely still end up cheaper than purchasing the full kit yourself.

You could also check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197234) thread. Despite it's title it has drifted into a general tabletop wargame modelling & painting thread. Odds are they are far more familiar with this scale of work than i am, so you should probably take their advice over mine :smalltongue:.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-28, 12:56 AM
Cant miss a chance to plug my own guide: http://knol.google.com/k/detailed-casting-on-the-cheap#

Basically, sculpt an original of whatever you want...then clone it. If you do it at a component level, you can mix and match as needed, and put in as much detail as you want. I'm terrible with pictures, but it's not hard to get GW-level of details on your minis if you want it.

CreganTur
2011-06-30, 07:51 AM
Miniature sculpting with any level of detail can be an involved and painstaking process. You can find a ton of detailed tutorials online. To get really crisp details you generally have to work in layers. If you use an epoxy compound like green stuff you would work up from a basic armature, adding details between letting each stage cure. For instance you create the rough proportions of a face, then you add details like a nose with nostrils and a fully formed mouth. Once that's done you can plop little balls of GS into the eye holes for the eyeballs, and then finally cut tiny slivers to shape into the eyelids.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-30, 07:56 AM
Yeah, if you want to speed it up, grab a basic mini pack like a human set from GW(the old catachans were terrible minis, but fantastic for this). Just slap whatever you want on top of the basic figure, then clone them.