PDA

View Full Version : A post of mine is not visible

Totally Guy
2011-06-23, 11:04 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204234

In this thread it says I'm the latest poster. But in the thread my post is treated as if it doesn't exist.

If you try to reply to the thread it's there.

I'm guessing that my post will appear again if someone replies and it'll start a new page.

ragingrage
2011-06-23, 11:38 AM
I fixed it. What I do whenever that happens is post something, then delete the post.
It's an annoying problem, but it can't be fixed :smallfrown:

Rawhide
2011-06-23, 05:26 PM
I fixed it. What I do whenever that happens is post something, then delete the post.
It's an annoying problem, but it can't be fixed :smallfrown:

Please don't. Please just hit reply to see the post but don't reply. Wait until someone has reason to reply.

ragingrage
2011-06-23, 06:32 PM
Oh. Sorry then. Won't do it in the future.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-24, 01:27 PM
Please don't. Please just hit reply to see the post but don't reply. Wait until someone has reason to reply.

Not that I really object, but what's the reason for this policy? It seems rather pointless.

happyturtle
2011-06-24, 01:52 PM
Deleting a post still leaves a record of it in the database. So making a post just to be deleted adds to the load on the servers without providing any content.

Rawhide
2011-06-24, 06:00 PM
Not that I really object, but what's the reason for this policy? It seems rather pointless.

A log entry that says you've created a post is created, then another log entry is created that says you've deleted a post (including the reason, if entered).

Unlike your post, these log entries will never vanish.

happyturtle
2011-06-24, 11:15 PM
From an administrative point of view, does it help to have the delete reason filled in? I rarely do, but if I should, I will.

Rawhide
2011-06-25, 12:27 AM
From an administrative point of view, does it help to have the delete reason filled in? I rarely do, but if I should, I will.

It's entirely up to you, but it can help a lot as we're sorting through logs and following up on reports of abuse.

Flame of Anor
2011-06-25, 02:47 AM
A log entry that says you've created a post is created, then another log entry is created that says you've deleted a post (including the reason, if entered).

Unlike your post, these log entries will never vanish.

At the risk of sounding obtuse: so?

AsteriskAmp
2011-06-25, 02:41 PM
At the risk of sounding obtuse: so?

They take server space.

Rawhide
2011-06-25, 06:41 PM
They take server space.

Which will never vanish. Not even during purges. It might not be much, but it adds up. And the more data it has to sort through, the more resources it takes to do so.

And the extra log activity has to be sifted through when tracking down what happened after errors and cases of abuse.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-25, 07:04 PM
Which will never vanish. Not even during purges. It might not be much, but it adds up. And the more data it has to sort through, the more resources it takes to do so.

And the extra log activity has to be sifted through when tracking down what happened after errors and cases of abuse.

Side question: Should we ever delete our posts? I usually delete after accidentally double posting, but by what you're saying, would it be better to just leave the double posts?

Rawhide
2011-06-25, 07:18 PM
Side question: Should we ever delete our posts? I usually delete after accidentally double posting, but by what you're saying, would it be better to just leave the double posts?

Oh no, carry about your usual business. All I'm asking is that people don't make a post specifically to delete it.

As a side note, in that case we'd probably delete the duplicate post anyway. And if all you did was edit it to say "duplicate post", it'd still leave an entry in the log saying that a post was edited.

RandomLunatic
2011-06-27, 11:15 PM

I just encountered this problem, and this is not working. Please advise.

Rawhide
2011-06-27, 11:23 PM
I just encountered this problem, and this is not working. Please advise.

What thread?

RandomLunatic
2011-06-27, 11:26 PM
This one. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95089)A

Douglas
2011-06-27, 11:30 PM
Works for me. View the last page, last post is by Narthlotep, click reply and scroll down and the post shown right below the post/preview buttons is yours. It says:

Frae'al turned the device over in her hand for a minute, then looked up. "So let me guess; this isn't yours?

And if you weren't planting anything, just what were you doing hanging around near my ship?"

((Take 10 repair=29. Take 10 Knowledge=15

Sense Motive: 1d20+10=26
Finally! An SM roll that does not totally suck!))

RandomLunatic
2011-06-27, 11:34 PM
Well, yeah, but when I go back to the thread, it disappears again.

Douglas
2011-06-27, 11:44 PM
Then it's working exactly as expected. Clicking reply but not actually posting something only lets you view the post on the reply page, it does not fix the issue.

The suggestion of looking on the reply page is to allow people to view and potentially respond to the bugged post, not to fix it so it displays normally. The fact that it is on the reply page means you can check the content and be confident that it will be displayed properly when the next post is made, and that other people can see and respond to it if they look there. That's all.

Rawhide
2011-06-27, 11:46 PM
Well, yeah, but when I go back to the thread, it disappears again.

It won't appear as part of the thread until the next person replies. But anyone can see it by clicking reply, without actually replying, then scrolling down to "Topic Review".

We would much prefer that people do this until someone has a reason to reply, rather than use any other methods to fix it immediately.

RandomLunatic
2011-06-27, 11:48 PM
Ohhhhh.

Reading comprehension not so good at 1 in the morning.