PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Race] Crystal Folk

Pyromancer999
2011-06-24, 11:53 AM
Background- Got the idea for this race a long time ago, after wondering what would happen to a psicrystal after its psion died. Now, I'm re-posting it with some edits.

Crystal Folk

Many know of psions and their powers, but pay little attention to their psicrystals, who are a major part of the psion's life. Likewise, when a psion dies, people only care about what has happened to the psion, not the psicrystal. Many psicrstals die when their masters do, but some remain aware. These psicrstals often have some of their master's power within them, whether it is from storing power points, or simply having been around their master a long time. In any case, these lone psicrystals often lose the power of movement, and eventually get bored of laying around. Crystal Folk are what results when the psicrystal decides to use psionic power to create a body for themselves, usually made out of crystal or ectoplasm.

Racial Traits:

-Living Construct: Psicrystals are of the Living Construct type, and receive all benefits and drawbacks of that type.

-Medium Size

-Land speed is 30 ft

-Master's Talent: Crystal Folk often retain some of their masters power. They gain 2 Power points + 1 Power Point for every HD beyond their 1st. They also gain knowledge of one 1st level power.

-Crystalline Body: Crystal Folk gain a natural +2 bonus to AC. They may expend Power Points to add +1 natural armor bonus per two Power Points expended this way. This lasts for 1 round per HD they have.

-LA: +0

Please PEACH and comment

Cipher Stars
2011-06-24, 11:58 AM
I like it. could use a full set of racial stats, but its good and something I'd play eventually after my current games die out and new ones start up.

LOTRfan
2011-06-24, 12:02 PM
Interesting race concept, but I am sort of confused as to why they have the Living Construct subtype. :smallconfused:

Pyromancer999
2011-06-24, 12:03 PM
I like it. could use a full set of racial stats, but its good and something I'd play eventually after my current games die out and new ones start up.

Thanks. Always good when someone enjoys my work.

Interesting race concept, but I am sort of confused as to why they have the Living Construct subtype. :smallconfused:

This would be because while they are originally constructs, their ectoplasmic bodies are still living in a way, like warforged.

Dawn-Dusk
2011-06-24, 01:09 PM
A full set of racial stats would be nice since this is meant to be a race. Also how does this react with the player going into anything other than psionics (I know that it might be wierd but I'm sure someone will try it.)

Pyromancer999
2011-06-24, 03:03 PM
A full set of racial stats would be nice since this is meant to be a race.

Thought I did have that. What do you mean by a full set of racial stats?

Also how does this react with the player going into anything other than psionics (I know that it might be wierd but I'm sure someone will try it.)

Well, the fluff and crunch don't really work with anything besides psionics. I could put out a just-magic version of it, but it'll take a little time.

DracoDei
2011-06-24, 03:17 PM
Eh, you get one power, and since you can augment (or spam?) if you chose wisely it won't ever be completely useless.

I assume the lack of stats means medium sized, shaped like a human, 30' movement speed, and no ability score adjustments?

Also: VAGUELY related cross-reference to a race by Lappy9000, the Bornura (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4549797&postcount=9).

Pyromancer999
2011-06-24, 08:26 PM
Eh, you get one power, and since you can augment (or spam?) if you chose wisely it won't ever be completely useless.

Yes, and also you can use it to get a better bonus to AC, although it's not clear whether or not you seem to think this is a good thing.

I assume the lack of stats means medium sized, shaped like a human, 30' movement speed, and no ability score adjustments?

Pretty much. Looking for a pic on the web that captures how I envision them, though, as it's not totally human-looking, even in crystal form.

Also: VAGUELY related cross-reference to a race by Lappy9000, the Bornura (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4549797&postcount=9).

This is interesting. I also know that WoTC has a 4th edition race that is made of crystals too, although the WoTC version is more closely related to Crystal Folk than Bornora, as it's formed from fragments of a sentient crystal.

Mulletmanalive
2011-06-24, 08:38 PM
I don't like the name. It doesn't sound like something people would say. I have this problem with every so-and-so-folk name. Here are a few other, hopefully mundane sounding names:

Glazn [GLAY-zun]
Cricken [crick-EN]
Felden [FELD-en]
Tautz [TAUT-zz] contraction of talking quartz
Shale
the Gneiss [n-EYE-ss]
Saphs [as in Saphire]
Seid [seed] i think this one is particularly appropriate.

"Free Psicrystals" would be the most literal name, and you haven't said whether they can breed, so I'm not sure about calling them a species/race...

DracoDei
2011-06-24, 08:47 PM
and you haven't said whether they can breed, so I'm not sure about calling them a species/race...
Interesting technical point, but since Warforged and several other things that get called races can't breed either, what word would you suggest?

Pyromancer999
2011-06-24, 09:01 PM
I don't like the name. It doesn't sound like something people would say. I have this problem with every so-and-so-folk name. Here are a few other, hopefully mundane sounding names:

Glazn [GLAY-zun]
Cricken [crick-EN]
Felden [FELD-en]
Tautz [TAUT-zz] contraction of talking quartz
Shale
the Gneiss [n-EYE-ss]
Saphs [as in Saphire]
Seid [seed] i think this one is particularly appropriate.

"Free Psicrystals" would be the most literal name, and you haven't said whether they can breed, so I'm not sure about calling them a species/race...

Well, the more formal ones in my campaign call themselves the Crystallum, and some of the other races call them Gemfolk or just Gems.

Also, in my campaign, mainly because I wanted to let other DMs decide whether they can propogate or not, there are two ways for Crystal Folk to produce offspring: 1) Two Crystal Folk find a crystal capable of storing psionic energy, then meditate together, focusing on combining their psionic energies and pouring them into the crystal, and 2) A Crystal Folk with a psicrystal can perform a ritual to transform its psicrystal into a Crystal Folk. Either way, a crystalline womb forms over the crystal, and over a few months, forms into a body for the growing Crystal Folk, ending up looking roughly like and the size of a child.

Pyromancer999
2011-06-24, 09:28 PM
Warforged can't breed, they're a race. I like the idea of these guys as a race, though I agree about the name... For whatever my opinion is worth, I like "Seid". I can totally see member of this race persuing non-psionic classes, just like an Elan might. Just because you're made of psionics doesn;t mean that's the only thing that interests you :smalltongue:

That's always true.

Also, the racials given in the OP are fine, but do feel incomplete. I don't know if seeing all the implied stuff (i.e., size med, 30ft speed, ect.) added would help, but I feel like something is missing...
30 ft speed and LA adjustment were missing. Added.