PDA

View Full Version : Do you have an unusual way of greating people on the phone/IRL?

Pika...
2011-06-24, 01:05 PM
My trademark is "Huggies!", and sometimes "Huggies & Rainbows!".

What do you folks usually say?

Occasional Sage
2011-06-24, 01:36 PM
99% of the time, I just introduce myself.

On the rare occasion, I answer with an odd pronunciation of "hello" that I picked up from my dad, who only ever used it when answering the phone.

Z3ro
2011-06-24, 02:08 PM
I used to have the best voicemail greeting, before I had to change it for work. "You've reached the number you dialed". Bonus points if anyone remembers where that's from.

factotum
2011-06-24, 02:38 PM
I don't know if it's unusual but I always just say "Hello?". If it's someone I know calling they'll recognise my voice, and if it's someone I DON'T know then I want them to make the first move in the conversation...

Kobold-Bard
2011-06-24, 02:51 PM
If it's not the first time I'm meeting them I go with "Howdo". No idea why, never say it any other time & I don't have a particular reason to say it, just comes up from somewhere.

When it's the first time I'm awkward as hell & overly polite, but not in a subtle "he may just be really polite" way, more of a "ooohhh kaaaay, back away slowly" way.

Jallorn
2011-06-24, 03:00 PM
Sometimes when I say hello, I stretch out the o and change the inflection a bit.

Blue Ghost
2011-06-24, 04:30 PM
My signature greeting, whether in real life or on the Internet, is "Good morning!" Time of day does not matter. When questioned, I vaguely comment that "it's always morning where I come from."

Orzel
2011-06-24, 05:15 PM
I answer the phone weird

"Offering a chit chat, loveness?" That is my greeting to nonrelative female friends.

"Hey rookie! Get serious."- my brother

"I didn't do anything with Chicago." -one of my friends

"Metropolitan Bikini and Cocktail Inspectors" that one time

I NEVER say Hello or Hi unless I'm sick or sick

Moff Chumley
2011-06-24, 05:18 PM
I go for the "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyelow" or "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyes?" thing, on the phone. IRL, some kind of equally drawn out, unintelligible grunt suffices.

Ya Ta Hey!
2011-06-24, 05:22 PM
Phone rings. Pick up aaaand

What's going down, my brown???

Mauve Shirt
2011-06-24, 05:22 PM
If I recognize the number, and it's someone I know well, I go with "Hellooooooooooooooooooo?" If it's someone I don't know, I just go with a plainer "Hello?" or if it's an 800 number/someone who's called before and I know is a telemarketer, "Are you a robot?" or "Don't even try."

DeadManSleeping
2011-06-24, 05:39 PM
Back before I started praying every phone call was good news about a job prospect, I would start a phone conversation with non-English greetings.

Fiery Diamond
2011-06-24, 05:43 PM
These are some good ones. I don't have anything special I use on the phone, but I do occasionally offer greetings to people in non-normal ways (other than Hello, How are you, Hey, and such) in person:

-Low. (As in, second syllable of Hello or opposite of Hi, take your pick.)
-Grittings. (No, that wasn't a typo. It's short for "Grittings. Mah nam is Kalhfin. Heeryor lunbox. Hoffa gud tay askool.")
-Hola. [or Que pasa or Como estas (I'm too lazy to figure out how to do the accent marks)] (I'm an English speaker, so... yeah. I don't do this one anymore, though. This was just because I took Spanish class in high school.)
-Yo. (Not that weird, just not common where I'm from.)
-[insert person's name, without any other words, said in the tone of voice you would use for a greeting rather than the way you would to get someone's attention] (Not really that strange, but it goes against societal convention somewhat.)
-'Tsup. (Don't do this one anymore either. It's a shortening of "What's up?" in a non-traditional way.)
- [after getting their attention, finally] You failed your spot check. (With my D&D friends only.)
- Hugs [or Glomp or Tacklehug, accompanied by the action] (For my special friends. I greet them this way on the internet, too, though I can't actually perform the action then.)

Heliomance
2011-06-24, 05:46 PM
Yello or wotcha. Or occasionally, "Hello, the Savoy grill."

Haruki-kun
2011-06-24, 05:49 PM
A friend of mine once told me that I am "The only person that would greet himin any language in the world except for Spanish," Spanish being our native language.

Raddish
2011-06-24, 05:50 PM
I generally say "Hey up" without the 'H' sound at the start

So I guess kinda 'ey-up or something.

Gensh
2011-06-24, 05:57 PM
I don't generally do anything special, but I recorded the message for my machine in my normal voice, which pretty much no one ever hears. Whenever someone calls me for the first time, and I don't answer, they always ask me who that guy on the recording was.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-24, 06:06 PM
irl friends get

hallo
hello
hullo
hey

on the phone you get

9pm-11pm: what
12am-6am: -unitelligable mumble-
7am-8pm: yo

Occasional Sage
2011-06-24, 06:08 PM
-[insert person's name, without any other words, said in the tone of voice you would use for a greeting rather than the way you would to get someone's attention] (Not really that strange, but it goes against societal convention somewhat.)

Which is strange, in these days of near-universal caller ID.

RebelRogue
2011-06-24, 06:09 PM
Usually I just say hello, but when my brother calls or IM me, we often greet each other with a 'CBM', short for 'Ciao Bella Mand' ('mand' meaning 'man' in danish. So it all means "hello, beautiful man"). It's... a weird inside joke!

Also, recently I've begun greeting him with an 'Inka' (meaning 'inca'). This is because it's what my phone suggested when I tried writing 'hola'. Yeah... I guess we're pretty strange people :smallbiggrin:

Valameer
2011-06-24, 07:23 PM
I used to have the best voicemail greeting, before I had to change it for work. "You've reached the number you dialed". Bonus points if anyone remembers where that's from.

Hey, it's Logan from Dark Angel! I know because I've used that message too.

High-five!

Agamid
2011-06-24, 07:38 PM
"hey"
or if i'm trying to annoy my little sister "Yo"

Marillion
2011-06-24, 07:51 PM
-"Grittings. Mah nam is Kalhfin. Heeryor lunbox. Hoffa gud tay askool."

I feel like you deserve a hug for that.

I usually go with "sup." or "Bonjerno." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WYVUNY6z6E)

Maxios
2011-06-24, 10:26 PM
I say the most unusal way of greeting people on the phone EVER:
Do you REALLY want to know?
So, you really do want to know?
I'm warning you, it's a big shocker.
You asked for it
"Hello?"

Haruki-kun
2011-06-24, 11:11 PM
I say the most unusal way of greeting people on the phone EVER:
Do you REALLY want to know?
So, you really do want to know?
I'm warning you, it's a big shocker.
You asked for it
"Hello?"

Hehe... Well, in Spanish people say "Bueno." Which is odd, when you actually think about it. It means "Good." Very rarely do people answer the phone with an actual greeting here.

Although in more recent years that's starting to change. When calling someone on their cell phone, since they can check the caller ID, they'll usually respond depending on who's calling.

Twin Dragons
2011-06-24, 11:13 PM
As an homage to the final episode of M*A*S*H whenever I answer the phone I say, "Yallow, snake pit, we never close!" :smalltongue:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-24, 11:14 PM
Oh ho ho.

I have a friend.

She answers the phone:

"Hello, Toronto City Morgue, how may we help you? You stab'em, we slab'em!"
It gets really creepy when the person on the other end, who she doesn't know, plays along.
"Yeah, I've got a body to deal with. Can you come swing by and pick him up?"
"I'm sorry, we don't do pickup. You'll have to drop the body off."
"Oh, ok. What times are you open?"
"We're open 24/7"
"Alright, thank you!"
/caller hangs up.
/Friend realizes what she's just done.

Mostly, I just go "Hello!"
If I want to be formal "Hello, *lastname* family household, *firstname* speaking!"

Amiel
2011-06-24, 11:15 PM
Tell them they only have seven days.

Coidzor
2011-06-24, 11:18 PM
I sometimes use Ahoy, like Bell wanted.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-06-24, 11:19 PM
7 days is over-rated.

"It's a bit late to ask for more time, Mr. Charles. I will get my money back, and your life is secondary to that."

Eon
2011-06-24, 11:40 PM
"Hiya"
"Hello"

Sometimes even "Greetings from the future"

In real life, it's usually a running-leap-hug. Or a regular hug. Or a simple hello. Really depends on the person.

Icewalker
2011-06-24, 11:40 PM
I often say " 'ello there" despite not being British and not even having that great of a British accent in that line. But it's not terrible. And I don't even know why I do it. I feel like there's some other things as well, but I forget what they would be right now.

Kuma Kode
2011-06-25, 02:28 AM
I say "Woof."

I am surprisingly not a furry, either.

Lady Moreta
2011-06-26, 09:16 PM
I answer the phone "Good morning (or afternoon) *company name*, Rebecca speaking"

Yeah, I'm a receptionist... though that formal tone can quickly mutate, depending on who's on the other end of the phone. If it's someone who rings frequently and I know (or is a staff member from another office), I'll become chatty, if not, I stay formal until I can get rid of them. Alternatively, I'll say "Hi *Name*" if it's an internal call, because we have caller ID for those and I get to see who's ringing.

On my own phone it's normally "Hello?" unless caller ID tells me who it is, then it's either a bright and cheery 'Hi!' or "Hey *Name*"

My sister went through a phase of answering the phone with "kia ora" (means "hello" in Maori).

In real life, it depends on the person... my husband frequently gets oddball greetings from me - actually he frequently gets no greeting at all. I'll just spout off the first thing that pops into my head, or start talking as though I'm continuing a conversation. Close friends get hugs, or tackle-hugs, depending on when I last saw them. Mother-in-law gets a hug usually, brother-in-law gets a slightly awkward "Even after three years of marriage I'm still not sure what to do with having a younger brother" greeting.. which is okay, because he tends to have the same "I'm not sure what to do here" reaction with me.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-26, 09:51 PM
Oh, wait, I just remembered a good one.

"Hello, Psychic Hotline. Oh, wait... you weren't trying to call here, were you?

AsteriskAmp
2011-06-26, 10:01 PM
Cellphone:
Mother gets: Mein Kommandant?
Family gets: Hallo/Hello/Alo/Ciao? (No matter which language the person speaks in)
Friends get: [Name said backwards]?
Strangers get silence

House Phone:
Good [time of day] with whom do you wish to communicate and please reveal your age gender and relation with intended subject if you so wish to be communicate with him/her. Thanks.

Glass Mouse
2011-06-27, 06:11 PM
I'm a boring phone greeter, going with "hey", "yes?" or an up-beat "yo", depending on caller and mood.
I have gotten critisism for answering with "yes?". Apparantly it's rude.

My little brother has the best way of greeting family members on the phone. He often goes, "Hello, Giraffe Rentals here, how may I help you?"
I've got a weird brother.

SamBurke
2011-06-27, 06:20 PM
I just yell "YO!" if in person. Quieter if on a phone. I'm a friendly, laid-back person.

The one thing I've ALWAYS wanted to say in response to a caller (especially a tele-marketer): "Hello. Burke Crematorium. You die, we fry."

Frozen_Feet
2011-06-27, 07:47 PM
I usually answer the phone with "<insert name> speaking". I was taught to do so before cellphones became commonplace and always thought it a common courtesy, but certain people say they find it odd. Several out-of-the-norm ones I use with friends and family:

(With my brother)
"Yo, clown."
"Yo, pig."
"How you losing, loser?"

(With my parents)
"Yyyeeees?"
"Okay, what is it now?"

(With my father)
"Yo, geezer."

(With friends when I'm feeling particular obnoxious)
"<my name>'s sled and guitar repair service, how may I help you?"

Force
2011-06-27, 08:11 PM
"Michigan State Insane Asylum, Inmate <random number> speaking."

Occasional Sage
2011-06-27, 08:19 PM
"Michigan State Insane Asylum, Inmate <random number> speaking."

Do you actually use this? As entertaining as the idea is I've never answered (say) "Seattle mortuary, you stab 'em we slab 'em".

d13
2011-06-27, 09:28 PM
At work: "<Company name>, how can I help you?"

At home: "Listening"

Cell phone: Either "<Friend's name>" or "What do you need?" if I know who's calling.

Force
2011-06-27, 09:28 PM
Do you actually use this? As entertaining as the idea is I've never answered (say) "Seattle mortuary, you stab 'em we slab 'em".

I've used it quite a few times, though usually with friends-- I don't use it for cold calls.

Ardent
2011-07-06, 05:41 AM
I greet people on the phone with one simple meme... Wololo! Aiyoyoyo, Wololo!
Nobody usually gets it. Only a few friends.

IonDragon
2011-07-06, 06:09 AM
I had a voicemail message that said:
"Hey, how's it going? *pause* Uh huh. Yeah, hey hang on a second *talking to someone in the background* Okay, so this is my voicemail, I'm not really here right now so leave a message,"
I think it cost me a job.

If I know who's calling, I will sometimes answer the phone "You've reached IonDragon's pants" because that's where I keep my cell phone.

RedDeerJebediah
2011-07-06, 06:19 AM
Usually I just go with "hello", "hi, it's Poul" or "hi [caller name]" in a normal voice - sometimes I just pronounce words or my own name in a weird manner.
Some of my friends are occasionally greeted with "hreeeellloo!", "hrello, señor", "hola mi amigo" or "buongiorno". I'm not really sure where any of this came from. :smalltongue:

Maxios
2011-07-06, 05:07 PM
On the occasion a while ago, upon answering the phone, I pretended the caller made a mistake and called an Italian pizza restuarant. Partially because I love pizza, and partially because I can fake an Italian accent extremely well.
Once, someone actually believed it and hung up. They called again moments later, and I faked the same thing. When they said they didn't want any pizza and it was a mistake I said, "If you don't want any pizza, don't call a pizza restaurant! :smalltongue:"
Of course, like I mentioned earlier, I now just say "Hello?"

grimbold
2011-07-06, 08:42 PM
i tend to simply meow :smallbiggrin:
seriously

Thanatos 51-50
2011-07-07, 09:12 AM
Let's see, we have: "Larry's Lithium Lounge! Mostly legal since 1988!"

And: "David's Delightfully Dyslexic Demonology, how can I help you today sir or ma'am?"

Although, the most common greeting I have is: "<My Last Name>" or "Disiz* <My Last Name>"

Also, occasionally, "Hola!" and "Moshi-Moshi"

* "This Is", except slurring everything together.

Suicidal Charge
2011-07-07, 02:56 PM
Not I, but my sister boyfriend occasionally answers the phone with "Hey beautiful.". Did that while standing next to my sister once.

"Who's that?"
"Caleb."

When I'm feeling particularly dramatic, I'll greet the phone with "Yyyeeeth? Thith ith Igor thpeaking.". I have a door creaking open sound effect on my computer, and if I'm sitting there I'll press play on it before I speak.

Edit: Creaking door 1, here (http://www.soundjay.com/door-sounds-1.html).

Edit 2: I used "occasionally" twice, so I've changed the second instance.

grimbold
2011-07-10, 07:37 AM
Let's see, we have: "Larry's Lithium Lounge! Mostly legal since 1988!"

And: "David's Delightfully Dyslexic Demonology, how can I help you today sir or ma'am?"

Although, the most common greeting I have is: "<My Last Name>" or "Disiz* <My Last Name>"

Also, occasionally, "Hola!" and "Moshi-Moshi"

* "This Is", except slurring everything together.

The first two
are brilliant
can i use them?

Mindfreak
2011-07-10, 08:28 AM
When ever one of my friends call I go:

"S'Hello!"
Someone calls that I don't know:

"Hello, you've reached *my name*, what can I do to get your name today?"
With family:

"Yo."

Ravens_cry
2011-07-10, 04:15 PM
I will sometimes use different languages, answering the phone with a "Guten tag" or "¡Hola!". I do not actually know those languages beyond those greetings in any meaningful way, but it confuses the hell out telemarketers.:smallamused: