PDA

View Full Version : Scarab Lord PrC [pathfinder][PEACH]

Vallum
2011-06-25, 11:05 AM
Scarab Lord

~ Kheporai, scarab god of creation and the sun cycles, is a rare deity worshiped by few, understood by fewer. Followers of Kheporai are those that have unlocked the deepest understanding of their deity. Through this understanding, through each incarnation of their deity, so do their powers grow.

{table=head]
Level|
Base Attack Bonus|
Fort Save|
Ref Save|
Will Save|
Special|
Spells

1st|
+0|
+1|
+0|
+1|
Summon Scarab Swarm (Su), Ktriltut weakness (Ex)|
-

2nd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+1|
Ktriltut Form (Su)|
+1 level of divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+2|
+2|
+1|
+2|
Scatter (Su)|

4th|
+3|
+2|
+1|
+2|
Summon Scarab Swarm 2/day, Ktriltut Form 2/day|

5th|
+3|
+3|
+2|
+3|
Warrior Ktriltut Form|
-

6th|
+4|
+3|
+2|
+3|
Life Judgment (Sp), Ktriltut Form 3/day|

7th|
+5|
+4|
+2|
+4|
Scarab Plague (Su), Summon Scarab Swarm 3/day|

8th|
+6|
+4|
+3|
+4|
Pharaoh Ktriltut Form, Ktriltut Form 4/day|

9th|
+6|
+5|
+3|
+5|
Strength of the Scarab God(Ex)|

10th|
+7|
+5|
+3|
+5|
Scarab Wave (Su), Summon Scarab Swarm 4/day, Ktriltut Form 5/day|
+1 level of divine spellcasting class[/table]

HD: d8

Skills (2 + Int/level): Climb (Str), Fly (Dex), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).

Prerequisites

Base Attack Bonus: +5

Feats: Toughness

Skills: Knowledge (religion) 7 ranks

Special: Channel energy class feature; Must worship Kheporai; must match deity's alignment; Must have spent at least 24 hours with a swarm of Scarab in a enclosed space

Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level divine spells

-----------------------------------

Class features

Spells per Day: A Scarab Lord gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a divine spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class, Except at 1st and 5th level. He does not, however, gain other benefits of that class other than spells per day, spells known, and an increased effective level of spellcasting. If he had more than one divine spellcasting class before becoming a Scarab Lord, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Summon Scarab Swarm (Su): First level of obtaining the Scarab Lord PrC, the Scarab Lord gain dominion over his god's lesser iconic form; the scarab. At 1st level, the Scarab Lord is able to summon a swarm of scarab beetles. This functions as a spell-like ability of the spell Vomit Swarm. Use the statistics of a spider swarm to represent the abilities of a scarab swarm. A Scarab Lord uses his total level as his caster level of this spell-like ability. A Scarab Lord may use this ability once a day at first level, and may use it one additional time a day at 4th, 7th, and 10th level, (this is cumulative, so at 4th, a scarab lord can use this ability twice a day, three times at 7th, and four times a 10th).

Ktriltut weakness (Ex): A Scarab Lord starts to gain the same weaknesses as his god Kheporai was cursed with. At 1st level of obtaining this PrC, A Scarab Lord must obtain, (if he hasn't already), a Sarcophagus of his own, made with precious stone worth at least 1000 gp. If the Scarab Lord does not have access to his Sarcophagus, he is not only unable to use any of his Scarab Lord abilities, but will be cut off from his divine magic as well, (the Scarab lord still has access to his proficiencies and feats gained by HD advancement).

Ktriltut Form (Su): Upon reaching 2nd level of this PrC, the Scarab Lord learns to transform himself into a Ktriltut, an evolution of something between a humanoid and a giant scarab. Starting at 2nd level, this functions like the spell beast shape II, with the following exceptions:

- Scarab Form only allows you to change you into a large creature

- This form is set, you cannot change into any creature, other then a Ktriltut, with this ability

- The Scarab Lord does not gain any of the other animal abilities

- The Scarab Lord gains the ability to fly 20ft while in Scarab form

- The Scarab Lord retains your equipment, and adjust to your new form. Scarab form allows you to use your items normally

- The Scarab Lord may use any language Scarab Lord knew in his/her normal form, also allowing her to cast her spells normally

A scarab lord may use this ability once a day at 2nd level, and gains an additional use of this ability every two levels of Scarab Lord hereafter

Scatter (Su): At 3rd level, a Scarab Lord may Split himself into hundreds of scarabs. The Scarab lord, as a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, may turn himself into a Scarab Swarm, (similar to Spider Swarm, and uses the statistics of it as though they were a Spider Swarm). If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, a Scarab Lord uses this ability automatically and attempts to escape. It must reach its sarcophagus within 2 hours or become a true scarab swarm. (It can normally travel up to 9 miles in 2 hours.) Additional damage dealt to a Scarab Lord forced into his scarab swarm form with a weapon has no effect, (just as in the swarm rules). Once at rest, the Scarab Lord turns back into his normal form and is helpless. It regains as though he is in bed rest, and continues to rest until he is back to positive hit points, then is no longer helpless.

Warrior Ktriltut Form: At 5th level, when the Scarab Lord uses his Ktriltut Form, he counts as though using Beast Form III and now instead of only changing into a large creature, you can into ether a Ktritut (large) or a Warrior Ktritut (Huge). While in Warrior Kritut form, like a huge creature of the Beast Form III, you gain a +6 size bonus to your Strength, a –4 penalty to your Dexterity, and a +6 natural armor bonus. You retain the same exceptions as with the normal Ktriltut Form.

Life Judgment (Sp): At 6th level, when a Scarab Lord’s makes an attack reduces a creature to –1 or fewer hit points, he may sacrifice a prepared 2nd-level spell or available 2nd-level spell slot to invoke the spell death knell upon the target as an immediate action (using the Scarab Lord's caster level). A Scarab Lord using this spell through the Life Judgment ability does not count this is as an evil act. The DC of this effect increases by +2 if the Scarab Lord uses Kheporai's favored weapon, (any sort of flail), for this ability.

Scarab Plague (Su): At 7th level, a Scarab Lord now counts his Summon Scarab Swarm as a Insect Plague spell rather then a Vomit Swarm spell. Like prior, the Insect Plague takes the form of scarabs, rather then wasps, but still functions as the same spell. A Scarab Lord uses his total level as his caster level of this spell-like ability.

Pharaoh Ktriltut Form: At 8th level, when the Scarab Lord uses his Ktriltut Form, he counts as though using Beast Form IV and now instead of only changing into a large creature, you can into ether a Ktritut (large), a Warrior Ktritut (Huge), or a Pharoh Kritut (Magical Large). While in Pharoh Kritut form, like a large magical creature of the Beast Form IV, you gain a +6 size bonus to your Strength, a –2 penalty on your Dexterity, a +2 size bonus to your Constitution, and a +6 natural armor bonus. In addition, both now count as a magical creature while in Pharoh form. You retain the same exceptions as with the normal Ktriltut Form.

Strength of the Scarab God(Ex): At 9th level, the Scarab Lord can enable himself to gain great strength, enforcing his body with greater life energy when he needs it, but at a cost. While in Scarab Form/Improved Scarab Form/Pharaoh Scarab form, a Scarab Lord my sacrifice thirty, (30), of his current hit points in order to gain a temporary boost to his strength score. At 9th, this bonus is a +6 and DR 5/-. These hit points can only be healed by rest. The hit point lost is carried over to his hit point of his normal form, (his form not using any stage of Scarab Form).

Scarab Wave (Su): At 10th level, a Scarab Lord now counts his Summon Scarab Swarm as a Creeping Doom spell rather then a Insect Plague spell. Like prior, the Creeping Doom takes the form of scarabs, rather then centipedes, but still functions as the same spell. A Scarab Lord uses his total level as his caster level of this spell-like ability.

--------------------
NotesThe deity that is required to worship in order to be part of this PrC is a homebrew one. Here are some details

Kheporai, True Neutral Scarab God of the cycles of Night and Life, said to be responsible of the cycles of the moon and life.

Domains: Darkness, Resurrection (healing subdomain, must take subdomain if choosing this domain), Death, Repose

Favored Weapon: Flail

jiriku
2011-06-25, 12:02 PM
I'm not familiar with Pathfinder, so I'm not so sure about balance, but overall you have a solidly presented prestige class. The theme and flavor are strong and consistent, the abilities are well-detailed, and the format is easy to read and understand.

To me, it lacks a little sizzle, though. You can summon bugs and turn into a bug, but those are really things that people do already. I don't know if I'd give up two caster levels just to do something that I can already do using other tools. I'd like to see a few more options that let me do unique things that bring out the "worshipper of Kheporai" flavor and let me do things that no other character can do. For example, you might include a Scarab domain at 1st or 5th level, and include several new spells in this domain that expand on the theme of Kheporai's portfolio.

Also, this is basically just a prestige class about bugs, but Kheporai's portfolio also includes the cycles of the moon and the cycles of life. I think as a player I'd like to see at least one or two abilities supporting that theme, as a nod towards Kheporai's entire portfolio.

Final Note: If you have access to the Spell Compendium, there's an excellent Moon domain in there that includes a number of spells only available through the Moon domain. That might be a nice pick-up as well, since, again, it will allow the PC to do things that other characters just can't do.

Vallum
2011-06-25, 12:13 PM
I'm not familiar with Pathfinder, so I'm not so sure about balance, but overall you have a solidly presented prestige class. The theme and flavor are strong and consistent, the abilities are well-detailed, and the format is easy to read and understand.

To me, it lacks a little sizzle, though. You can summon bugs and turn into a bug, but those are really things that people do already. I don't know if I'd give up two caster levels just to do something that I can already do using other tools. I'd like to see a few more options that let me do unique things that bring out the "worshipper of Kheporai" flavor and let me do things that no other character can do. For example, you might include a Scarab domain at 1st or 5th level, and include several new spells in this domain that expand on the theme of Kheporai's portfolio.

Also, this is basically just a prestige class about bugs, but Kheporai's portfolio also includes the cycles of the moon and the cycles of life. I think as a player I'd like to see at least one or two abilities supporting that theme, as a nod towards Kheporai's entire portfolio.

Final Note: If you have access to the Spell Compendium, there's an excellent Moon domain in there that includes a number of spells only available through the Moon domain. That might be a nice pick-up as well, since, again, it will allow the PC to do things that other characters just can't do.

I didn't know 3.5 had a moon domain... I will have to look into that. Also, will I have enough room, (or, can fit in something without overpowering it), for a 10 level PrC to fit in a free domain? If I need to make room, what should I adjust or even take out for it?

jiriku
2011-06-26, 01:15 AM
I don't have a game balance sense for Pathfinder classes, but if this was a 3.5 prestige class, I'd say you have plenty of room for 1 or even 2 domains. Lost caster levels are a very painful thing to take, and losing two justifies a lot of cool abilities.

Vallum
2011-06-26, 04:24 PM
I don't have a game balance sense for Pathfinder classes, but if this was a 3.5 prestige class, I'd say you have plenty of room for 1 or even 2 domains. Lost caster levels are a very painful thing to take, and losing two justifies a lot of cool abilities.

Okay, that's good to know. I'm still new to homebrew, and this is my first public-revealed PrC's. Glad to know it doesn't suck at least, and that there's room for improvement ^_^