PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Pureblood Elf [PEACH]

criticalstriker
2011-06-26, 05:40 AM
Here is an elf as part of a new campaign setting I'm working on. Regular elves exist, though technically they are a genetic dilution of the original species, that broke into another, almost unique species. Half-elves are a further dilution of the original blood (explaining why they suck so much :smalltongue: )

Any thoughts are welcome. I'm really not sure what the challenge rating on these guys should be. They don't have much HP, but it's hard to land a scratch on them.

Pureblood Elf
When sentient life was first created on the Material Plane, six progenitor races were created, each one with a mate. Among the six races were two elves whose names have long since been lost to history. The elves were beautiful when compared to the other races, but they possessed a cruel longing - to be even better.

These two elves called to the Gods, and one decided to answer back. Eberkanezzer, the Lord of Magic, from whom all magic flows, turned his gaze upon the two elves. They asked him to give to them physical perfection. He agreed, under one condition: That they may never again use magic. They agreed, thinking that their children would simply fill the magical gap, but keep their beauty.

And so Eberkanezzer granted them their wish, they were made into creatures of stunning beauty and strength. In return, he also took from them his prize: their ability to use magic. They were made unique, as all trace of magic was removed from their existence, and could never flow through their veins again. The elves did not expect, however, that their perfection came at a much larger price than they had thought previously. The foundations of the universe were partially built upon the fabric of magic. As such, certain biological functions are incredibly difficult without the ambient magic that normally seeps into a creature's body. Most of these effects are minor, such as occasionally not being able to smell the scent of one specific item, or their racial inability to perceive an extremely precise shade of red. The cruelest of these side effects, however, is that the elves are the closest to being sterile without actually being sterile. It can take an elf couple upwards of 300 years to conceive a child.

Further, the elves were wrong to think that the curse of no magic would not apply to their children. When Eberkanezzer cursed them, he cursed their entire species. Even with these odds, elves have managed to survive -albeit in terribly small numbers. Those numbers were cut down from the 2,000 that existed to only 300, when the elves held back the entire Pyran Legion, during the Blackadder War. Today, exact numbers of elves are unknown, and the estimates range from 45 to 297 (an oddly specific and somewhat dubious number came to by a questionable divination "expert").

When they do manage to conceive, the life cycle of an elf is extraordinarily bizarre. They will remain within their mother for 3 years (growing to the same size as a human baby, but much more slowly). When birthed, they will age extremely slowly - both mentally and physically. A 6 year old elf is still an infant, and will remain that way until roughly 12 years of age. By this time, they will be around the size and mental acuity of a human toddler. It will take another 50 years for the child to become a teenager, physically and mentally, and won't be a fully matured adult until 120 years of age. At this point, their agelessness begins and they will never age again.

Pureblood Elf
Medium Humanoid (Elf)
Hit Dice:8d8 +32 (68)
Initiative: +10
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 28 (+5 Dex, +6 +1 Mithral Breastplate, +4 Natural, +3 +1 Mithral Heavy Shield) Touch 15, Flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+13
Attack: +1 Mithral Elven Thinblade +15 (1d8+8) or Darkwood Composite +8 Longbow +12 ranged (1d8 + 8)
Full Attack: +1 Mithral Elven Thinblade +15/+10 (1d8 + 8) or Darkwood Composite +8 Longbow +12/+7 ranged (1d8 + 8)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Elven Wrath
Special Qualities: Aura of Awe, Perfection, Damage Reduction 5/-, Ageless, Magic Incapable, Quickness
Saves: Fort +6, Reflex +12, Will +4
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 22, Con 19, Wis 14, Int 16 Cha 27
Skills: Knowledge (Nature) +4, Jump +11, Move Silent +10, Hide +10, Swim +11, Intimidate +20, Perform (Dance) +13, Spot +13, Listen +13
Feats: Improved Initiative, Ability Focus (Aura of Awe), Weapon Focus (Elven Thinblade)
Environment: Any; primarily forest
Organization: Solitary; 2-3 (Gathering)
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: Double standard
Alignment: Varies
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Combat
Elves prefer to fight in forested or urban areas, where they can make maximum use of their mobility and speed. When faced with great numbers, they will often retreat to a defensible bottleneck, or make hit-and-run attacks against enemies. If an elf is fighting with 1 or more elves, these will often go back-to-back to cover their blind-spots, and threaten as many assailants as possible. If, somehow, 10 or more elves gather together, they will fight in a phalanx formation.

Elven Wrath (Ex): When threatened, pureblood elves may enter a combative state of zen-like calm, during which they are not truly conscious. While in this state, they won't attack allies, but they cannot be spoken to. They will retain the last memories they received (such as "kill the general!") and will pursue that, but new orders cannot be given to them. While in this state, an elf gains +4 to Strength and Dexterity, as well as a +4 Dodge bonus to their Armor Class, and may not be effected by mind-affecting spells or effects. This lasts for a maximum of 10 rounds, after which the elf must rest for at least one hour before entering it again.

Aura of Awe (Ex): Creatures within 30 feet of a pureblood elf, with HD equal to or less than the elf, must make a DC 22 Will save or be completely overwhelmed by the physical perfection of the elf. Such victims are Stunned for 2d4 rounds. Non-humanoids or monstrous humanoids have +4 to this save. A pureblood elf may suppress or resume this aura as a free action. This ability cannot affect other pureblood elves.

Perfection (Ex): Pureblood elves embody physical perfection. A pureblooded elf is immune to the effects of poison, disease, all toxins, sleep, ailments, and ravages. Further, they will never succumb to natural heat or cold (assuming this is not the heat of the sun or the cold of a heat-less universe). They sleep only when they desire to, and eat only when they decide to. A pureblood elf can survive twelve times longer than normal before risking drowning, cannot suffer from Massive Damage, and will always stabilize if an attack would reduce them to between -1 and -9. They still die at -10 hit points.

Damage Reduction (Ex): The skin of an elf has been compared to living steel. Cutting it is incredibly difficult, by even magical means. As such, elves possess Damage Reduction 5/-.

Ageless (Ex): The body of an elf is a remarkable thing. After reaching maturity, they will no longer show physical signs of aging, nor do they suffer the physical ill-effects thereof. Unless by violent means or an accident, an elf will never perish. As such, while aging spells do technically affect them, it is only in the most trivial of ways, as it will have no effect on their ability to move or attack (as they are likely to do, if one tries to age them to death).

Magic Inept (Ex): Due to their deal with the god of magic, elves can never use any form of magic. All attempts to cast any spell, arcane or divine, use any power, psionic or truespeak or binding or shadowmagic, will all fail. An elf may, in no way use any technique that would not be possible through physical means. However, an elf may use magic items that have been created by other races; as long as such items do not rely upon channeling magic through the user (such as in the case of ability-boosting items).

This magical void inside of elves also has the curious effect of rendering them entirely invisible to spells such as Detect Life. Since such spells rely on detecting the inherent magic inside of most living creatures, pureblood elves simply don't appear at all.

Magic Immunity (Ex): An elf has a unique form of magic immunity. Because no magic is capable of flowing through, or even over them, they are made immune to the effects of all spells. This is not limited to those spells that would grant Spell Resistance. If blasted with a wave of conjured (as opposed to evoked) fire, there will be a pocket formed around the elf, in the shape of their body, where the summoned fire simply cannot pass.

This also has the curious effect of making it so creatures who have been summoned temporarily, unable to damage an elf. Their claws will pass right through the elf.

Quickness (Ex): Elves are extremely fast. An elf may take an extra standard or move action each round.

nonsi
2011-06-26, 07:15 AM
Out of curiosity...
Why can't they take class levels that don't grant unnatural powers from classes such as Fighter, Knight, Monk Rogue, Samurai, Scout, Swashbuckler?
None of these classes grant abilities that where denied them.

OverdrivePrime
2011-06-26, 08:58 AM
Wow - what a sad, and cruel curse!

Hmm... I'd recommend a couple small, but important changes:

Due to the curse, they have no connection to magic. They cannot be the target of any spell or spell-like ability. Magic simply treats them as a void. They can still be affected by area-of-effect spells but gain a racial bonus to resist magic and magical effects (supernatural abilities, spell-like abilities, etc) equal to half their hit dice. As a result of their strange physiology, they may never be treated as a willing recipient of a spell, and as such roll to resist even harmless or beneficial spells such as mass cure light wounds.

Due to their physical perfection, the Pureblood Elf also has fast-healing 1. This fast healing increases by +1 for every 8 hit dice the Pureblood Elf attains. A pureblood's natural state is one of perfection, and as such it is swift to regain that state.

I'm not sure if you intend to allow Pureblood Elves to gain character levels, but they'd make some seriously boss Warblades, as long as you only allowed them access to disciplines that have mundane (if cool) effects, such as Iron Heart. Hell, maybe only give them access to Iron Heart and make them the progenitors of that discipline. It'd be perfect.

jiriku
2011-06-26, 09:28 AM
I'd spot the CR at around 9, but I see why you're struggling. For a CR 9 creature, the elves have abnormally high AC, but terrible Fort and Will saves. Attack them in melee, and they'll be difficult opponents. Hit them from a distance with effects that force saves, and you can drop them with little difficulty.

The save DC on Aura of Awe seems... arbitrary. Normally I'd expect a DC of 10 + 1/2 hit dice + Charisma modifier, which would work out to 22.

Volthawk
2011-06-26, 09:33 AM
The save DC on Aura of Awe seems... arbitrary. Normally I'd expect a DC of 10 + 1/2 hit dice + Charisma modifier, which would work out to 22.

If it's Con-based, it works. 10+4 (1/2 HD)+4 (Con mod)+2 (Ability focus) is 20.

criticalstriker
2011-06-26, 02:05 PM
Out of curiosity...
Why can't they take class levels that don't grant unnatural powers from classes such as Fighter, Knight, Monk Rogue, Samurai, Scout, Swashbuckler?
None of these classes grant abilities that where denied them.

They can. I suppose this is where DM interpretation would come into play. I view all those as "possible," without magic, in a Fantasy universe.

Due to the curse, they have no connection to magic. They cannot be the target of any spell or spell-like ability. Magic simply treats them as a void. They can still be affected by area-of-effect spells but gain a racial bonus to resist magic and magical effects (supernatural abilities, spell-like abilities, etc) equal to half their hit dice. As a result of their strange physiology, they may never be treated as a willing recipient of a spell, and as such roll to resist even harmless or beneficial spells such as mass cure light wounds.

I made it a bit more extreme than you suggested. It helps explain why they've been able to survive amidst other, magic using races; but also why an epic-level wizard hasn't managed to break the curse.

Due to their physical perfection, the Pureblood Elf also has fast-healing 1. This fast healing increases by +1 for every 8 hit dice the Pureblood Elf attains. A pureblood's natural state is one of perfection, and as such it is swift to regain that state.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I think Fast Healing would be an inherently magical effect.

I'm not sure if you intend to allow Pureblood Elves to gain character levels, but they'd make some seriously boss Warblades, as long as you only allowed them access to disciplines that have mundane (if cool) effects, such as Iron Heart. Hell, maybe only give them access to Iron Heart and make them the progenitors of that discipline. It'd be perfect.

I fully intend to. Elves are highly sought-after as advisers because of their age. But as far as warblades, that is a pretty cool idea, actually. It requires me to use a book I'm not familiar with and don't care for, but I like it quite a bit and might use it. Thanks for that :smallsmile:

I'd spot the CR at around 9, but I see why you're struggling. For a CR 9 creature, the elves have abnormally high AC, but terrible Fort and Will saves. Attack them in melee, and they'll be difficult opponents. Hit them from a distance with effects that force saves, and you can drop them with little difficulty.

The new magic immunity seems like it would bump that up quite a bit (unless you're hurling alchemist fires at them; which could get pretty funny).

That was my bad. I never changed it from a previous draft where their Cha was slightly lower.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-26, 03:04 PM
I don't have a ton of experience judging CR, but here's what I got:

Going by average DPR (assuming the elf is in trance and each round the elf uses its full attack + extra standard action to attack for four attacks - and this somewhat confuses me, not sure where that extra attack at highest BAB is coming from) the elf will likely beat a fire giant, but not a cloud giant. Pure combat effectiveness, then, I can't see it anywhere below CR 10.

Also going by such averages, it looks like it would lose out to a stone golem (a closer comparison, since the golem also has magic immunity), due largely to the golem's superior DR. The elf has better magic immunity though, way better skills, and the tactical advantages of its extra action, easily making up for reduced statistical effectiveness if played intelligently. Indeed, if a bow were added to its stat block (and why isn't there one? I mean, ya know...elf) using a move + full attack or double move + attack strategy, with move + double move when they get too close, it could quite feasibly beat significantly stronger foes through attrition, though in this case it couldn't trance too early, or it would wear off.

That all said, I'd rate it as CR 11...mayyybe CR 12 if it gets a decent ranged attack, because that's a substantial tactical advantage with the extra actions. I think it's a bit too fragile and lacks the damage power to justify anything higher, despite having arguably two of the most powerful assets in the game (utter immunity to magic and extra actions).

criticalstriker
2011-06-26, 08:38 PM
I don't have a ton of experience judging CR, but here's what I got:

Going by average DPR (assuming the elf is in trance and each round the elf uses its full attack + extra standard action to attack for four attacks - and this somewhat confuses me, not sure where that extra attack at highest BAB is coming from) the elf will likely beat a fire giant, but not a cloud giant. Pure combat effectiveness, then, I can't see it anywhere below CR 10.

Also going by such averages, it looks like it would lose out to a stone golem (a closer comparison, since the golem also has magic immunity), due largely to the golem's superior DR. The elf has better magic immunity though, way better skills, and the tactical advantages of its extra action, easily making up for reduced statistical effectiveness if played intelligently. Indeed, if a bow were added to its stat block (and why isn't there one? I mean, ya know...elf) using a move + full attack or double move + attack strategy, with move + double move when they get too close, it could quite feasibly beat significantly stronger foes through attrition, though in this case it couldn't trance too early, or it would wear off.

That all said, I'd rate it as CR 11...mayyybe CR 12 if it gets a decent ranged attack, because that's a substantial tactical advantage with the extra actions. I think it's a bit too fragile and lacks the damage power to justify anything higher, despite having arguably two of the most powerful assets in the game (utter immunity to magic and extra actions).

I added the longbow. That was an odd oversight on my part. But honestly, I view pureblooded elves as getting more up close and personal - taking advantage of their high strength and armor to rip people apart with elven thinblades. Their less sturdy cousins are the ones who started the tradition of hiding behind everyone firing arrows :smalltongue:

As far as the extra attack, that was a weird mess up. I think I stopped to do something, came back and forgot I had already written +15 once.

Yitzi
2011-06-26, 10:31 PM

Of course, now that they're immune to magic (as well as poison), it might be a bit difficult to find such an effect...

Quellian-dyrae
2011-06-27, 12:06 AM
I added the longbow. That was an odd oversight on my part. But honestly, I view pureblooded elves as getting more up close and personal - taking advantage of their high strength and armor to rip people apart with elven thinblades. Their less sturdy cousins are the ones who started the tradition of hiding behind everyone firing arrows :smalltongue:

As far as the extra attack, that was a weird mess up. I think I stopped to do something, came back and forgot I had already written +15 once.

Got it. Removing the attack will lower their direct combat power a fair bit, so my guess would be CR 11.

Um...I notice the damage is listed at +7 (except sword single attack). With Str 26, they should have a +8 mod, and the sword itself is +1. Also, I think Aura of Awe should be DC 24, thanks to Ability Focus.

Tanuki Tales
2011-06-27, 12:35 AM
Just wanted to say;

Fast Healing and Regeneration are both generally (Ex) abilities. Having an incredible rate of recuperation doesn't have to be magical in the least bit, just look at guys like Wolverine, The Hulk, Deadpool or Lobo.

Veklim
2011-06-27, 05:16 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I think Fast Healing would be an inherently magical effect.

Nah, fast healing and regeneration are both (Ex) so not a problem, it's only (Su) & (Sp) which I'd balk at.

Aura of Awe may want a small note that Elves are unaffected by this ability, otherwise the entire race would spend half of their time standing still looking stunned/stunning. Where this is rather amusing to me as a mental image, it's not conducive to the concept I feel :smallbiggrin:

criticalstriker
2011-06-27, 05:38 AM
Got it. Removing the attack will lower their direct combat power a fair bit, so my guess would be CR 11.

Um...I notice the damage is listed at +7 (except sword single attack). With Str 26, they should have a +8 mod, and the sword itself is +1. Also, I think Aura of Awe should be DC 24, thanks to Ability Focus.

Thank you for pointing that out. Will fix.

Just wanted to say;

Fast Healing and Regeneration are both generally (Ex) abilities. Having an incredible rate of recuperation doesn't have to be magical in the least bit, just look at guys like Wolverine, The Hulk, Deadpool or Lobo.

True enough.

Aura of Awe may want a small note that Elves are unaffected by this ability, otherwise the entire race would spend half of their time standing still looking stunned/stunning. Where this is rather amusing to me as a mental image, it's not conducive to the concept I feel

You win the thread for this.
"By the Gods, you look wonderful today, Tamera!"
"Gods be damned! As do you, Jessica."
"Hello ladies, -by the Divine, you women look beautiful today!"
*entire culture shuts down 15 minutes later*

nonsi
2011-06-27, 06:34 AM
I now noticed that you've grounded them for all eternity.
Was that intentional ?
If ot, then you should create a PrC or paragon levels that grants them wings.

begooler
2011-06-27, 01:52 PM
I now noticed that you've grounded them for all eternity.
Was that intentional ?
If ot, then you should create a PrC or paragon levels that grants them wings.

Or add something about Pureblood Elves training flying mounts.

Veklim
2011-06-27, 03:37 PM
Or add something about Pureblood Elves training flying mounts. Have you considered making a playable race out of this, a la Savage Species..? That would open up the chance to make/fix/address many issues like this.