PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss itP

sparkyinbozo
2011-06-27, 10:48 AM
Well, summer is here in full swing, which has got me thinking on the path more of fitness and weight loss. Are there any other users here interested in a group for mutual motivation/accountability?

Participant list (continually updated):

Maralais
Sparkyinbozo

Haruki-kun
2011-06-27, 10:51 AM
Sure. We had a thread on it a while ago, but I think it'd be in Thread Necromancy Land by now. What do you have in mind?

golentan
2011-06-27, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I'm up for this. My goal is to get down to 160 by next march (I'm between 175 and 180 now, varies day to day). Been doing daily exercise and trying to watch my calories, but it's hard to stay on top of it.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-27, 11:13 AM
yeah i need to get into shape, at least enough to fit into the USAF's standards

Maralais
2011-06-27, 11:30 AM
I've been recently posting about how my weight loss fares on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199564), and I've lost 6 kilos(around 13 lbs I guess), and my main goal was losing 25 kilos(55 lbs), so it's still a rather long way but if I continue my "1 kilo per week" pace, I might as well be a fit guy by the end of the summer.

It'll probably get faster(or even if it doesn't, it will transform my fat to muscle) when I start exercising.

Asta Kask
2011-06-27, 11:39 AM
Count me in. I would probably need to a lose a 100 lbs. but to keep it realistic I'd say 30 lbs. by the beginning of September.

THAC0
2011-06-27, 11:46 AM
I'm not overweight, but I'm 5-10 lbs more than where I want to be.

I also need to get into shape since I'm backpacking the grand canyon this fall. :smallbiggrin:

So can I join?

Mauve Shirt
2011-06-27, 01:29 PM
I'm about 30 pounds overweight. Yet here I am, seated at the computer, drinking a real-sugar pepsi. I'm not very good with the self control thing.

Seffbasilisk
2011-06-27, 01:32 PM
I want my abs back.

People say they are, but I can't see'm unless I'm flexing.

So, I'm trying to eat every day, down some protein (not eating, is one of my bad things) and work out at least 3x a week.

I keep procrastinating and putting it off, trying to find more and more reasons why not to.

In fact, I'm going to go do some elevated pushups.

...once this song is over.

....and I finish digesting.

.....and that song finishes.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-27, 02:53 PM
I'm about 30 pounds overweight. Yet here I am, seated at the computer, drinking a real-sugar pepsi. I'm not very good with the self control thing.

Artificial sweetener and high-fructose corn syrup are not only worse for your weight but also far more unhealthy than real sugar. So you're doing better than many. :smallsmile:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/aa/The_More_You_Know_2011.png/200px-The_More_You_Know_2011.png

Also, hiya! I kind of lost all the extra weight I had a few years ago, so I really have nothing to do other than being a walking PSA...

PSA away!

Asta Kask
2011-06-27, 03:27 PM
Can we also talk about our burning hate for people who can eat anything and still have a healthy figure? :smallbiggrin:

Helanna
2011-06-27, 04:52 PM

Yeah, I want to lose about twenty or thirty pounds, but I'm sitting here drinking Pepsi and eating chips. Say what you will about my weight, I will never be one of those people who complain that they can't figure out why they're fat.

I was really planning on starting this Couch to 5k (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml) running plan over the summer, but I'm having some issues in that I work late and don't get up until 10 or 11. If I did go running, I'd be doing it during the hottest part of the day and I react poorly to heat.

Does anyone know of workout DVDs that actually work? My mom and sister swear by Jillian Michaels, but I don't quite trust their claims.

Can we also talk about our burning hate for people who can eat anything and still have a healthy figure?

Ooooh yeah! My sister and some of my aunts have crazy metabolisms. They can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound. And then they complain that they're so fat.

Seffbasilisk
2011-06-27, 04:58 PM
Can we also talk about our burning hate for people who can eat anything and still have a healthy figure? :smallbiggrin:

Hey! I'm one of 'those' people.

My metabolism just means I simply cannot sit still, I even move while sleeping, and that's when I can sleep. Most nights there's hours and hours of insomnia.

...and coupled with a touch of anorexia, means it EATS MY MUSCLES. :smallfurious:

Occasional Sage
2011-06-27, 05:03 PM

I used to be that guy. Then I aged, and kept eating the same way.... :smallfrown:

Does anyone know of workout DVDs that actually work? My mom and sister swear by Jillian Michaels, but I don't quite trust their claims.

On the bright side, you don't have to trust them. Just look at the results!

sparkyinbozo
2011-06-27, 06:51 PM
I was thinking something along the lines of a place to keep goals/current, weekly progress, routines, get feedback, maybe use a buddy system or similar to keep the motivation up. It could even something like the shirtless (for guys, lol) pic blackmail system.

Always open to new ideas, too.

KenderWizard
2011-06-28, 02:21 AM
I'm trying to get healthier. I really really have to choose some kind of exercise I can do a couple of times a week and stick to it! I'm also trying to eat less. I don't often feel full, so if I'm not paying attention, I can just keep eating and eating! Also, I like support and motivation!

rakkoon
2011-06-28, 02:39 AM
I lost ten kilos in the last two years and quite happy with that. Now if I could lose 3 more kilos I'd weigh under 80. That would be fantastic.
Yet the last 3 seem to be the hardest since that would require some serious watching my food and cardio exercises. I have a problem with my knee but more importantly I really like my food and drinks.
So I know where the problem lies. Just need to keep it under control.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-28, 05:05 AM

I can eat cake and chocolate without even getting up to a healthy weight. Does that count? :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-06-28, 07:02 AM
I can eat cake and chocolate without even getting up to a healthy weight. Does that count? :smalltongue:

No, I don't... I've been there and it's not particularly fun either. No, I'm talking about the eat-anything-you-like-and-stay-healthy people. :smallfurious:

Runestar
2011-06-28, 07:25 AM
I am not really overweight (~70kg at 180m), but did put on about 3 kg during my month long break due to extensive snacking. That and I was not able to put in as much exercise as I would have liked to due to a recurring flu problem, resulting in a small paunch developing. So I am interested in maintaining my weight, or even shedding 1-2 kg.

Though being a school teacher should help some, considering how healthy (and tasteless) their lunch options are (I typically go for brown rice and 3 assorted vegetables). Utterly uninspiring, but cheap and I cannot be bothered to go out for a better (and probably more unhealthy) meal. :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-06-28, 08:01 AM
I am not really overweight (~70kg at 180m),

No, if this is true you are a strand of spaghetti. How do you fit into normal rooms - are you very bendy? :smallbiggrin:

Erloas
2011-06-28, 09:12 AM
Oh, this one is easy: the one you actually use. There are thousands of work out plans and videos and devices out there, and they (pretty much) all work so long as you actually use them. No matter how good the video is or how many calories you'll burn doing it, it doesn't matter if you don't actually do it.
The trick is simply finding something you like and you'll actually do.

It might be worth looking into classes at a gym. I haven't priced out many places, and I think it can change a lot from one area to another, but where I live at least its $30 a month, which isn't bad at all. I've found I'm much better at pushing myself and staying with it with the classes. It helps that I can't say "let me do X for another 20 minutes then I'll go" because I can always add more. Knowing the class starts at 6, my choice is to be there then or not at all. The classes also change and have a lot more variability then I would ever be able to do on my own.

Zumba seems very popular any more. Its not exactly my thing, but I still go most weeks because its the only class on Friday after work. And many of the women there seem to really enjoy it.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-28, 09:53 AM
No, I don't... I've been there and it's not particularly fun either. No, I'm talking about the eat-anything-you-like-and-stay-healthy people. :smallfurious:

Sounds like a sad experience. :smallfrown:

I'm all fine and dandy, though. Much more energy than when I was at 75 kg.

Speaking of kilograms:

No, if this is true you are a strand of spaghetti. How do you fit into normal rooms - are you very bendy? :smallbiggrin:

Crikey. If that's what 70 kg at 180 cm is, then what would 67 kg at 188 cm be? :smalleek:

Kaeso
2011-06-28, 10:09 AM
Since you're all confessing your 'sins' here, I might as well join you.
I'm somewhere between 1.80m and 1.85m (I'm not exactly sure) and weigh roughly 90kg. Just a year or two back I used to weigh 70kg, so I'm really upset about this sudden weight gain :smallannoyed: *sigh* I guess college hasn't been kind to my body. Ideally, I wish to get back to my old weight. I guess I should look for a good sport that I can do two or three nights a week that'll help me burn some fat :smallfrown: If anybody has a suggestion, I'd be more than willing to hear it.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-28, 10:09 AM
Crikey. If that's what 70 kg at 180 cm is, then what would 67 kg at 188 cm be? :smalleek:

Slightly underweight for a male with a small frame, but not severely so. Source. (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm)

Asta Kask
2011-06-28, 10:16 AM

Ah. But that's not what he wrote.

KenderWizard
2011-06-28, 10:28 AM
Since you're all confessing your 'sins' here, I might as well join you.
I'm somewhere between 1.80m and 1.85m (I'm not exactly sure) and weigh roughly 90kg. Just a year or two back I used to weigh 70kg, so I'm really upset about this sudden weight gain :smallannoyed: *sigh* I guess college hasn't been kind to my body. Ideally, I wish to get back to my old weight. I guess I should look for a good sport that I can do two or three nights a week that'll help me burn some fat :smallfrown: If anybody has a suggestion, I'd be more than willing to hear it.

Oh, college. It causes weight gain and weight loss, depending on which one you don't need. It makes you think the same meal every day is a great idea, and removes fruit almost completely from your life. It makes you stressed and tired, and discourages time-consuming exercise. And it takes all your money and replaces it with alcohol and takeaways. I may be exaggerating slightly on some points, but student life is so bad for one's health! Everything that's both healthy and tasty is expensive, and generally time consuming to prepare (although not always, and of course ymmv on tasty). Frozen food and ready meals are cheaper than buying fresh meat, vegetables, herbs and spices, etc and much quicker and easier to prepare, AND they don't go off easily. A single college student has a hard time working through a 2.5kg bag of potatoes by themselves before they go all sprouty, and sprouty is the least problematic of the various ways vegetables and fruit tell you they're past it. I find food a constant struggle!

Mina Kobold
2011-06-28, 10:35 AM
Slightly underweight for a male with a small frame, but not severely so. Source. (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm)

While that may be correct, that chart puts me at a medium frame...

Ah. But that's not what he wrote.

*Checks*

Touché, my good sir. Touché.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-28, 11:04 AM
I'm in. I started at 220 several weeks ago, with a target weight of 185. I'm currently at about 197. Once I hit 185, all remaining excess weight(if any) will be converted to muscle, and I'll reconsider from there.

What's been working for me so far(I call it the engineer's diet):
Calculate metabolism for height/weight/age(lotsa calculators online) with no exercise or activity at all. This is X.
If I work out during the day, I add the number of calories burned to X.
Consume X - Y calories. Y was initially 1300, but it's now down to 1000. Still, since a pound of fat is 3500 calories, a 1000 calorie deficit means losing two pounds a week, consistently.

Gotta log everything, but damn, does it work. And when you jog five miles every other day, that adds a lot of calories back into your budget. It doesn't much matter what you eat, so long as the total calories work out. I've done a lot of Pizza Hut and Chipotle, myself.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-28, 11:24 AM
While that may be correct, that chart puts me at a medium frame...

Charts aren't 100% correct. It varies a lot from person to person.

Keld Denar
2011-06-28, 11:24 AM
Source. (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm)

Blarg, I hate things like that and BMI. I'm 6'2" 200#, and am dang close to 6-pack abs. If I measured right, my elbow is ~2-3/4", which puts me on the bottom of the medium frame catagory, which tops out at 178. I don't even think I could lose 22 lbs without muscle atrophy, I'm already down to ~13% body fat by most tests I can find.

Guess I'll just have to settle with the knowledge that I'm overweight no matter how much I work out or how good I eat.

Mina Kobold
2011-06-28, 11:31 AM
Charts aren't 100% correct. It varies a lot from person to person.

I know, but I'm not even close to the divide...

I must have super-light bones! :smalltongue:

Blarg, I hate things like that and BMI. I'm 6'2" 200#, and am dang close to 6-pack abs. If I measured right, my elbow is ~2-3/4", which puts me on the bottom of the medium frame catagory, which tops out at 178. I don't even think I could lose 22 lbs without muscle atrophy, I'm already down to ~13% body fat by most tests I can find.

Guess I'll just have to settle with the knowledge that I'm overweight no matter how much I work out or how good I eat.

Muscle do weight more than fat, which makes most measurements innacurate when applied to muscular people.

I do believe waist-to-hip is unaffected by muscle-mass, though. So you could try that. :smallsmile:

Maralais
2011-06-28, 12:01 PM
Source. (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm)
That one is wrong in so many levels. I dobut that a man with a height of 177 cm will be healthy when his weight is 68 kilos, it's way, way too low.

Spiryt
2011-06-28, 12:24 PM
That one is wrong in so many levels. I dobut that a man with a height of 177 cm will be healthy when his weight is 68 kilos, it's way, way too low.

Ugh, why, seriously? :smallconfused:

People of that build compete in pretty much any sport with successes, and are pretty much perfectly healthy.

I'm 175 and weight ~ 68 kg, and while many things about my health could be better, I can't really complain.

All those charts are of pretty much limited use as far as healthy weight goes... One can weight those 68 kg and still be fat, if he's, in fact fat a.k.a carries too much fat tissue. There's not really other way about it, after all. :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2011-06-28, 12:29 PM
Height/weight charts are a useful guideline...but they are inherently a rough measure, and not ideal for you personally. If you have more accurate forms of determining body composition and such available, use them.

shadow_archmagi
2011-06-28, 12:30 PM

how good I eat.

WELL. YOU DO NOT EAT GOOD, YOU EAT WELL.

Sorry. English Major.

On a more on-topic note, your point and post are completely valid. Comparing weight to height doesn't take into account the difference between muscle and flab.

Today I weighed myself at the gym, and I think I must've done something wrong, because there is no way I'm down to 180.

Asta Kask
2011-06-28, 02:20 PM
I think this (http://en.nikochan.net/link/13989/bumble-skunk-reveals-slimline-figure) should be our mascot.

CynicalAvocado
2011-06-28, 02:53 PM
i'm about 240 lbs at 6 foot 2 inches (108kg at 1.8 m)

i'd prefer to be 190 lbs

sparkyinbozo
2011-06-28, 05:59 PM
I think this (http://en.nikochan.net/link/13989/bumble-skunk-reveals-slimline-figure) should be our mascot.

So shall it be! Haha

Edit: I'm about 195 right now, 5'11". I was overweight as a kid, lost a bunch in undergrad, gained it back in grad school.

Kaeso
2011-06-28, 06:00 PM
Oh, college. It causes weight gain and weight loss, depending on which one you don't need. It makes you think the same meal every day is a great idea, and removes fruit almost completely from your life. It makes you stressed and tired, and discourages time-consuming exercise. And it takes all your money and replaces it with alcohol and takeaways. I may be exaggerating slightly on some points, but student life is so bad for one's health! Everything that's both healthy and tasty is expensive, and generally time consuming to prepare (although not always, and of course ymmv on tasty). Frozen food and ready meals are cheaper than buying fresh meat, vegetables, herbs and spices, etc and much quicker and easier to prepare, AND they don't go off easily. A single college student has a hard time working through a 2.5kg bag of potatoes by themselves before they go all sprouty, and sprouty is the least problematic of the various ways vegetables and fruit tell you they're past it. I find food a constant struggle!

Haha, yeah. Barring the alchohol (I never drink, save for extremely rare occasions such as new years eve) that's a nearly perfect description of my current diet :(.

veven
2011-06-28, 06:11 PM
WELL. YOU DO NOT EAT GOOD, YOU EAT WELL.

Sorry. English Major.

I eat sooooooo gooooood.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-28, 08:42 PM

I jealous. :smalltongue: I'm not quite at that level of musculature or bodyfat.

On the subject of the actual chart: I just did a quick search for a weight to height chart. But as I said, don't think much about it: Those charts are nowhere near 100% correct. Just guidelines.

EDIT: You meant 200lbs, right? Not sure if I understand what you're saying. Looks like I'm at medium frame, too...

Alarra
2011-06-28, 11:41 PM
I'd like to lose at least 50 pounds, myself. Not by the end of the summer, but eventually. I have a hard time because most of my weight problems are health related. I should exercise more, but my diet isn't bad at all (well, usually anyway).

Adumbration
2011-06-29, 12:42 PM
Strictly speaking, I'm not in horrible condition physically speaking. I'm of average build, mayhaps a little heavily built (182 cm tall, weighing at 78 kg). I excercise (almost) regularly couple of times a week - jogging, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. I can jog for about 50 minutes straight without much problem. With the advent of summer full, I find myself in a dearth of things to do, so I'd like to use some of that excess time to get myself into shape. The problem is, I need a program to stick to. On my own, I'm capable of maintaining the aforementioned routine, but after so long it's just not improving my condition by that much and is getting a little repetitive.

In addition, some of my friends are planning on a week-long hiking trip up north, compassing a route of about 150 km. I'm not sure I'm currently physically capable of such a trip. Any suggestions on how to train for it? Is it even feasible in this timeframe?

Even if not, I'd love a customized excercise program to stick to. Or just a couple of educated pointers to the right direction. Or anything, really. :smalltongue: Thanks in advance, cookies provided when necessary!

DazedN'Confused
2011-06-29, 01:35 PM
Ok, so first off you sound like you are in decent condition that is good. Second, I will need some further information from you. What are your goals? Do you just want to be able to do the hiking (should i read backpacking where you will be camping, or will it just be with daypacks and staying in hostels or with friends) or do you want to get leaner, attempt some sort of event like a marathon, or triathlon, etc.? Your goals will determine what your regimine should be. If you are just wanting to do the daypacking sort of hiking, you are probably already in good enough shape (shape meaning that you have the physical ability to accomplish something) to do that as a 7 day hike of 150 km only averages 21.5 km a day which is probably a little bit more than double what you jog in a given workout. If you are backpacking (ie carrying more than about 9-10 kg) then you probably need to add some hiking into your training with the amount of weight you intend to carry (and how long until the trip). Let me know and I will give you what info I can.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-29, 01:39 PM
Well... if there's another health concern at hand, it's best to talk to a doctor before starting an exercise program of any kind. /disclaimer

Adumbration
2011-06-29, 01:59 PM
Ok, so first off you sound like you are in decent condition that is good. Second, I will need some further information from you. What are your goals? Do you just want to be able to do the hiking (should i read backpacking where you will be camping, or will it just be with daypacks and staying in hostels or with friends) or do you want to get leaner, attempt some sort of event like a marathon, or triathlon, etc.? Your goals will determine what your regimine should be. If you are just wanting to do the daypacking sort of hiking, you are probably already in good enough shape (shape meaning that you have the physical ability to accomplish something) to do that as a 7 day hike of 150 km only averages 21.5 km a day which is probably a little bit more than double what you jog in a given workout. If you are backpacking (ie carrying more than about 9-10 kg) then you probably need to add some hiking into your training with the amount of weight you intend to carry (and how long until the trip). Let me know and I will give you what info I can.

It's probably going to be backpacking, but I'll have to check with my friends. Leaner would be good, but at the moment I'm not planning on attending a marathon or triathlon (though depending on how the excercises go and if I find a good one, I might attend). Some upperbody training wouldn't probably go amiss either - I have some muscle, but it's mostly flabby at the moment. Particularly around the stomach area.

DazedN'Confused
2011-06-29, 02:34 PM
Ok, For the backpacking.
-Start hiking with everything you will be carrying and wearing what you would be wearing 2-3 times a week if possible. Start out going about 5-6 km a hike upping one of your hikes every week by about 2 km. this means that you should have 1 long hike a week (gradually getting longer) and one or two short hikes. Do this in addition to the workouts that you are already doing. Try to do the hiking in the same type of terrain that you will be going on the week-long trek. Also try to get the friends that you will be doing it with to go with you. that way you know the type of pace that they will set.
For getting leaner
-All about diet. I personally am 6 foot 2 inches (188cm), 205 lbs (93kg) (I think I did the conversions correctly if not i am claiming dumb americian) and have a spare tire, but I am in better shape (able to perform at a higher level) than about 80% of the military. The reason for this is I do not control my diet very well. I eat what I want within moderation. If you want to get leaner dump any sugary drinks and try to leave about 2 mouthfulls on your plate. Stick to leaner choices of meat ie fish, lean beef, lean mutton, chicken, turkey, etc. Don't cook in butter, use olive oil. Cut down on carbohydrates (grains and sugars) and make the ones that you do eat whole grains. Try to have 3 meals and 2 snacks a day (the same or less caloric intake as you have now). Make the snacks raw fruits and veggies if you can.
-Try to add plyometrics to your workouts (http://artofmanliness.com/2010/05/21/beginners-guide-to-plyometrics/, http://www.isometricexercisesite.com/) These are also great strength training workouts.
For improving running
-Check out a book called Running 101 by Joe Henderson. It will give you way better advice than I can.
For Strength training
-I suggest plyometric workouts. You can find them just about anywhere on the web.

Word of caution
-Anthing that tells you that you just need to work out the abs to improve your stomach area is bull hockey. What you have to do is burn more calories than you take in. See diet advice above.

polity4life
2011-06-29, 09:52 PM
I dip in and out of the P90x program, depending on time constraints and (more often than not) injuries sustained. However, when I can put together three or four weeks of the program, I'm feeling pretty good and capable. You can find most, if not all, of the workouts on various sites on the interwebs. I think a Russian site has some of them at the very least.

When I first started, the most I could run was about 5 or 6 kilometers. I signed up for a 10k race but neglected to notice that it was only five days off. I worked out and ate as prescribed by the program for those days. It was intense and painful, but I was able to run the whole race; not walk, not jog, but run.

You will get results if you stick to it. I have a bad left knee that I consistently injure over and over again so I tend to hit my peak at around week four before I have to cool my heels for two or three weeks. It seems that you have developed a solid foundation to build upon so you shouldn't have to worry about injury provided you don't push yourself too hard.

EDIT: As previously stated, plyometrics are a fantastic way to build up leg strength, stamina, and overall burst from your short and long muscle groups. If you don't dedicate yourself to a specific program then just mix plyo with some distance running. That will certainly help you reach your goals for the hike.

Juggling Goth
2011-06-30, 01:52 AM
Ooh, those plyometric things look great for karate. Most of my fitness is the long-slow-slog variety - I can do a triathlon but a sprint kills me. I'm trying to redress the balance. Thanks for sharing that link!

*Gets her girl-cooties all over the Art of Manliness*

Also:

When I first started, the most I could run was about 5 or 6 kilometers. I signed up for a 10k race but neglected to notice that it was only five days off. I worked out and ate as prescribed by the program for those days. It was intense and painful, but I was able to run the whole race; not walk, not jog, but run.

Nice.

Furthest I've run was 7 km, but do I get to add an extra couple for doing the whole thing in a gorilla suit? There was a lot of randomly jumping on street furniture and high-fiving small children.

polity4life
2011-06-30, 06:46 AM
Ooh, those plyometric things look great for karate. Most of my fitness is the long-slow-slog variety - I can do a triathlon but a sprint kills me. I'm trying to redress the balance. Thanks for sharing that link!

*Gets her girl-cooties all over the Art of Manliness*

Also:

Nice.

Furthest I've run was 7 km, but do I get to add an extra couple for doing the whole thing in a gorilla suit? There was a lot of randomly jumping on street furniture and high-fiving small children.

I'll give you some extra water weight loss and take away a hundred extra caolries for your simian escapade. No matter the case, you gain bonus points for an awesome display.

pdellorto
2011-06-30, 07:32 AM
You might want to ask here:

http://exrx.net/forum/

There are a lot of helpful folks there, and it's an exercise forum frequented by folks who regularly train themselves *and* some trainers as well. They can point you at some good programs already out there and help you figure out what you need to do.

Hope that helps.

Peter

Crow
2011-06-30, 11:00 AM
Hmmmmmmmm....according to that chart, I'm "large frame". That doesn't seem right. 5'9", 180lbs.

Crow
2011-06-30, 11:02 AM
If you feel you've hit a plateau with your workout, do you think your diet may be holding you back? Cleaning up your intake can make a big difference when it comes to results.

Keld Denar
2011-06-30, 12:23 PM
As long as we are on this one thread thingy, I guess I'll fully invade.

I broke my ankle about 5 weeks ago playing trampoline dodgeball (yes, it is as awesome as it sounds). So yea, no yoga for 5 weeks. Monday, I went back and did hot yoga again for the first time. IT WAS HELL!!! Serious, I was so light headed I thought I was gonna hurl. How did I do it for as long as I did?

I guess I just need to reacclimate to the heat and the fact that I'm doing exercise again. It feels good, but hurts so bad.

PS, anyone actually DO yoga here? The bone in my ankle that broke is healed, but there is still a LOT of swelling in the area. When I do the standing series at the start, my ankle swells up even bigger, which causes a lot of pain and discomfort when I sit on it during the kneeling postures (camel, rabit, tortoise) I get a lot of discomfort from the pressure. This makes it really really hard to lean back. Anyone know any good modifications for these postures that I can do that won't put pressure on my ankle?

Erloas
2011-06-30, 01:00 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure how useful that chart is. Its hard to get an exact reading on the elbow thing, and I'm right at the medium/small frame change over. I would think I'm very solidly in the middle, I'm not a large guy, but I'm not all that tall either, and knowing a lot of smaller framed people, I'm not there.
I also really doubt I could get into the weight range they say for a small build either, it would require dropping another 20-30 lbs and I simply don't think that is possible while staying healthy. I could easily do 10 more, 15 is not that hard to believe, but I simply couldn't have any muscle if I had to loose another 25 lbs.

I know my dad, who is about the same size and build as me, isn't even able to reach the recommended weight for a small build and he doesn't have much of anything to loose and any heavy exercise that would build muscle would probably increase his weight.

I would think a more thorough measurement then simply the elbow would be needed for frame size.

As for Yoga, I do that every week. Of course I do it with an instructor and anything like that I could ask her about, so not much I can say about it.

KenderWizard
2011-06-30, 01:12 PM
Haha, yeah. Barring the alchohol (I never drink, save for extremely rare occasions such as new years eve) that's a nearly perfect description of my current diet :(.

I'm so with you. Terrible College Diet Solidarity!

On the subject of simplifying the goals, the Irish Safefood campaign recently started its "Please stop getting obese, we don't have money for hospitals anymore!" drive. It said that people should generally have a tummy measurement of 32" (female) or 37" (male) or less. That's measuring around your stomach at belly button level. And also obviously an extreme simplification, but possibly a decent goal for an average person.

On the subject of me personally getting healthier, this morning, in an unusual move, I got up at 7am to have a swim before I went to work. It still doesn't sound plausible to me that I did that, even though I was totally there when it happened. It sounds like what someone else might do; someone who gets up early and is motivated and successful! Now the trick is to do it again tomorrow! :smallsmile:

THAC0
2011-06-30, 01:46 PM
Ok, I'm getting ready to kick off my work-out schedule. The new apartment has a gym and a pool. I'm planning on getting up early, going to the gym for 30-60 minutes every weekday, and then hopping right in the pool to cool off. I'm thinking cardio every day, and weights 2-3x week.

One question though - if you're going to work out first thing, do you eat breakfast before or after, and what's a good breakfast to be eating?

pffh
2011-06-30, 01:54 PM
Lets dive in:
Starting weight: 91kg
Long term goal: Run 2.5km in or under 10 minutes
First short term goal: Run 2.5km in under 20 minutes (and not feel like **** after the run)

Went for a run today and ran for ca 2.5km in some amount of time (forgot my phone and thus my sports tracker). Next run is on Saturday and I'm aiming for Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays to be my running days and next week I'm starting on an exercise program.

I'm thinking about posting here either after every run or more likely once a week with stats (distance, time, speed etc) since that will probably motivate me to actually go out and run.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-30, 02:07 PM
Ok, I'm getting ready to kick off my work-out schedule. The new apartment has a gym and a pool. I'm planning on getting up early, going to the gym for 30-60 minutes every weekday, and then hopping right in the pool to cool off. I'm thinking cardio every day, and weights 2-3x week.

One question though - if you're going to work out first thing, do you eat breakfast before or after, and what's a good breakfast to be eating?

Oatmeal, eggs, fruit... all good choices. Not pure fruit, though. You'll burn it off pretty fast. I suggest you eat before going and wait a few minutes after eating to avoid feeling nauseous when working out.

Do NOT have children's cereal for breakfast.

Spiryt
2011-06-30, 02:39 PM
Do NOT have children's cereal for breakfast.

Don't know how it's in "wide world" but as far as I can see "not children" cereals are equally bad in general. Stuff glued with glucose syrup from top to the bottom. :smallwink:

Haruki-kun
2011-06-30, 02:41 PM
Don't know how it's in "wide world" but as far as I can see "not children" cereals are equally bad in general. Stuff glued with glucose syrup from top to the bottom. :smallwink:

Touché. Don't eat cereal for breakfast. Children's cereal is just worse.

Keld Denar
2011-06-30, 03:50 PM
Wait...I eat Rasin Branflakes every morning with a cup of skim milk (otherwise I'm woefully lacking in dairy). Is this a bad thing?

Spiryt
2011-06-30, 04:04 PM
Wait...I eat Rasin Branflakes every morning with a cup of skim milk (otherwise I'm woefully lacking in dairy). Is this a bad thing?

Well, if you're trying to "get a sixpack" - eating stuff that's pretty much exploding with simple sugars, and refined ones too, won't help too say at least.

EDIT: Aside from healthiness, that may be the matter or not, those are empty calories, that pretty much do nothing for organism, aside from raising glucose level in blood rapidly, and equally rapidly begin to be stored for later....

Keld Denar
2011-06-30, 05:16 PM
Really? Raisin Bran has whole grains in it, and doesn't have the sugar that a lot of other "cereal" has. Is it really THAT bad?

Liffguard
2011-06-30, 05:44 PM
Really? Raisin Bran has whole grains in it, and doesn't have the sugar that a lot of other "cereal" has. Is it really THAT bad?

Something to keep in mind about whole-grain and complex carbs is that when your body digests them they're exactly the same as sugar. Identical. All carbohydrates are just chains of sugars of various lengths. The only difference between "simple" and "complex" carbs is the time it takes to digest them. Complex carbs take longer to be broken down into small enough molecules to pass through the intestinal wall. You still get the same number of calories and the same hormonal response.

Spiryt
2011-06-30, 05:53 PM

Well, I had just googled it to find that " some producers add high-fructose corn syrup", so I have no idea, you got to check the ingredients on pack. :smallwink:

Speaking from my experience, most of those stuff has silly amount of pure sugar, unfortunately.

Something to keep in mind about whole-grain and complex carbs is that when your body digests them they're exactly the same as sugar. Identical. All carbohydrates are just chains of sugars of various lengths. The only difference between "simple" and "complex" carbs is the time it takes to digest them. Complex carbs take longer to be broken down into small enough molecules to pass through the intestinal wall. You still get the same number of calories and the same hormonal response.

Well, AFAI was informed though, that difference is still pretty vital for body - most naturally occurring sugars aren't really bad, even though we're not made to eat so much of them as we're doing today.

Asta Kask
2011-06-30, 06:09 PM
Fructose is a naturally occurring carbohydrate...

As I understand the literature, the most important equation is still calories in - calories out. The kind of calories makes a marginal difference, but nothing earth-shattering.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-30, 06:16 PM

If by THAT bad you mean "as bad as eating a bowl of Trix and drinking a coke", then no, it's not THAT bad. If you mean "worse than a bowl of oatmeal" then yes, it's that bad. But as was stated, read the list of ingredients and the nutrition label.

Fructose =/= High Fructose Corn Syrup. The latter is pretty much the worst thing you can consume if you want to lose weight. Yes, worse than a spoonfull of sugar. Seriously.

As I understand the literature, the most important equation is still calories in - calories out. The kind of calories makes a marginal difference, but nothing earth-shattering.

Yes, but consider that not all calories are made the same. Calories from Protein are better than calories from Carbohydrates, which are better than calories from Fats. And at any rate, your body will still need all of the above.

Also, consider what satisfies you more. Eating a stick of celery has way less calories than a candy bar, and will keep you full longer.

Asta Kask
2011-06-30, 06:19 PM
Yes, but consider that not all calories are made the same. Calories from Protein are better than calories from Carbohydrates, which are better than calories from Fats. And at any rate, your body will still need all of the above.

My understanding of the literature is that this is not true. Calories are largely the same regardless of the source. What do you mean by 'better'?

CurlyKitGirl
2011-06-30, 06:26 PM

*high fives*
Semi-snap.
Minus the getting up early and the swimming that's pretty much what I'm planning.
Heck, this week I went to the local JYM and got a personal cardio programme done up, and tomorrow I'm going for to get the weights promgramme done. And I must remember to pay for my month's membership tomorrow so I can do my cardio right after the weights.

So yeah. If you haven't guessed, I've become strangely motivated re: getting fitter and losing weight, hence joining the GIM. And making sure I walk at least three miles a day, and making sure I don't snack on anything unhealthy.
My goals?
Well, I'm horribly unfit, so I want that first.
And for weight? Um, I'm about twelve and a half stone (or 88kg) and I want to be about ten stone by the time I go back to uni in October. Or roughly three pounds a week.

Huh. Doesn't sound that bad when you look at it like that. Shame it's not going to be that easy though.
Still [insert cliché about hard work here] eh.

Spiryt
2011-06-30, 06:27 PM

Well, that's not true at all even if talking about just loosing fat...

For most obvious thing:

Glycemic index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index)

My understanding of the literature is that this is not true. Calories are largely the same regardless of the source. What do you mean by 'better'?

Obviously they are the same - calorie is energy and that's obvious - the whole process of digesting, breaking down, metabolizing and what else is important, and there are what whole branches of science and what else are about, no way to write a posts on forums on that.

Haruki-kun
2011-06-30, 06:30 PM

Here you go. (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa16.htm)

Quick Paragraph quote:

Fat, protein, and carbohydrates are all metabolized differently and are converted into bodyweight with different rates of efficiency. For example, take one thousand calories of brown rice and yams and an equal number of calories from brownies and cookies and they will probably burn at an equal rate over a campfire, and experience the same rate of oxidation. Yet, try and replace one thousand calories of brown rice and yams with brownies and cookies and you will see that all calories are not created equal.

The rate of oxidation, or the burning of the calories, is different for fats, carbohydrates and protein. The food you eat can either be broken down to create energy, converted into body tissue, or excreted. All foods release heat when they are broken down. This release of heat is measured in kilocalories. A calorie is a unit of heat. Practically speaking this unit is too small to be useful, therefore the kilocalorie is the preferred unit in metabolite studies. Not all foods are burned completely to produce energy.

Spiryt
2011-06-30, 06:35 PM
Effects of sucrose vs starch diets on in vivo insulin action, thermogenesis, and obesity in rats (http://www.ajcn.org/content/47/3/420.abstract)

Quick notes would be, obviously, that too much refined carbs can lead to insulin deficiencies, or diabetes, which is pretty well known, I guess.

Fructose and metabolic syndrome and stuff (http://www.sfd.pl/Fruktoza__nadmierne_!_spozycie_zwieksza_insulinoop orność_i_powoduje_otylość_-t697255.html) - in english, mostly, fortunately. :smalltongue:

EDIT:

Very nice article on glicemic index and blood sugar level in general (http://nutritiondata.self.com/topics/glycemic-index) - instead of mumbling about rats. :smalltongue:

Mina Kobold
2011-07-01, 04:01 AM

It's probably in one of the snazzy links posted above, but from what I have heard it's similar to alcohol or salt.

A little bit is fine and your liver can deal with it. The quantities in High-Fructose Corn Syrup on the other hand, is too much for your liver and will just get stored in the fat deposits.

And now I feel like dragging out the "The More You Know" logi again. >_>

Asta Kask
2011-07-01, 04:37 AM
The clinical tests on various diets do not show a major difference between them. Oh, Atkins is better - even statistically significantly so - but is the difference clinically relevant? That's another matter.

For that matter, you can lose weight on a diet consisting entirely of twinkies. Calories in, calories out is what matters. From what I understand, the best way to lose weight is to pick the lifestyle you would have to keep your ideal weight. Then stick with it.

But, I will look at the links. Meditate upon this I shall. You may want to listen to Episode 85 (http://www.theskepticsguide.org/archive/podcast.aspx?mid=1) of the SGU, where they talk about the Battle of the Diets.

Maralais
2011-07-01, 04:45 AM
So, it's 6,5 kilos in 6,5 weeks! This is going quite good for me, though people tell me that I shouldn't try to lose all the 20 kilos in 3 months, but I just want to get rid of this belly and all by the end of the summer.

Spiryt
2011-07-01, 08:00 AM
For that matter, you can lose weight on a diet consisting entirely of twinkies. Calories in, calories out is what matters. From what I understand, the best way to lose weight is to pick the lifestyle you would have to keep your ideal weight. Then stick with it.

From my humble knowledge, you may indeed loose weight entirely on twinkies. But it would be kinda like chopping trees down with herring, pretty much worst way about it.

And the weight would be most probably back very quickly, because such diet would do lay quite horrible waste on body, especially on metabolism, insulin balance.

Although microbes would most probably devour most of persons teeth with such diet, so maybe that would be some method. :smallwink:

Haruki-kun
2011-07-01, 09:36 AM
For that matter, you can lose weight on a diet consisting entirely of twinkies. Calories in, calories out is what matters.

:smalleek:

Do you have any idea the sort of effect that would have on your body? Eating only Twinkies? You might as well just stop eating altogether, it'd be just about as safe. It's not just calories in and calories out, that's just one part of it, there's a whole lot of science behind it. Which is why nutriologists have to go through University to get a degree on the whole thing.

If you follow a diet consisting purely of calories in, calories out, and failed to take everything else into account, you'd lose mostly muscle and water mass, before your body starts depleting the fat stores. It'd go into panic. It needs nutrients, vitamins, minerals, proteins. You can't make all of that up with a diet that wasn't properly thought out.

Heck, by that logic you can have a diet consisting purely of Coca-Cola, and trust me, you can't live on Coca-Cola.

Asta Kask
2011-07-01, 09:47 AM
I was about to write a lengthy reply, but forget about it. I'm actually quite attracted to the Atkins' diet myself - not because it's necessarily any better but because I like bacon. And meatballs. And sausages. And yes, I have to watch my vitamins and minerals and other micronutrients.

What I would like to emphasize is that it's no good to just pick a diet and stick to it for a few months. Unless you undergo a permanent change of lifestyle, you'll just slowly return to your present state. Pick a lifestyle and stick with it.

Trog
2011-07-01, 10:15 AM
On the subject of weight loss, I can suddenly fit into jeans I haven't worn in a couple of years and, this morning, I discovered that I needed to tighten my belt... and there wasn't another notch to do so. o.o

Though, honestly, I don't know if I've actually lost any weight - I don't own a scale.

Adumbration
2011-07-01, 10:22 AM
What do people think of High-intensity interval training methods around here? From what I've heard, they can be pretty good. Thinking about including them to my own excercises (perhaps replacing jogging every once in a while).

Erloas
2011-07-01, 10:27 AM
I'm thinking cardio every day, and weights 2-3x week.

The first part, from what I've read its much better to lift before doing cardio. Obviously you want to warm up a bit before lifting but they say you get a lot more out of your lifting that way and it doesn't take nearly as long to get into the right zone for doing cardio afterwards.

As for breakfast, I think that mostly depends on the person. Some people seem to need more time between eating and working out then others. If you need a good hour between a meal and working out, are you going to get up 2 hours early to make that happen? I know I wouldn't for long. Although either way you will probably need something for energy first thing in the morning, but something small like a yogurt or a piece of fruit will give you energy for your workout but not be enough that you have to worry about cramping up from working too soon after eating.
As for what to eat, I would start with what you're used to because changing too much at once makes everything harder. Trying to go from nothing to doing everything perfectly right from the start is a good way to get mentally burned out and stopping. After a couple weeks of working out and seeing how you feel then you can start refining other things you are doing, such as what you are eating.

So, it's 6,5 kilos in 6,5 weeks! This is going quite good for me, though people tell me that I shouldn't try to lose all the 20 kilos in 3 months, but I just want to get rid of this belly and all by the end of the summer.
Depending where you are starting from, most things I've read is that about 1lb/0.5KG per week is a pretty good rate of weight loss. Obviously if you have a lot to loose you can loose more faster when you start out. Starting out expecting too much too quickly can be bad for sticking with it. Also from what I've noticed is if you aren't in good shape starting out you'll spend the first few weeks, if not month or more, getting to the point where you can really start getting a good workout and a good strong workout is what is required to be loosing weight quickly. Obviously if you've only got the endurance for a 300 calorie burning workout you aren't going to get as much done as when you have the endurance for a 600 calorie burning workout.

Haruki-kun
2011-07-01, 10:38 AM
On the subject of weight loss, I can suddenly fit into jeans I haven't worn in a couple of years and, this morning, I discovered that I needed to tighten my belt... and there wasn't another notch to do so. o.o

Though, honestly, I don't know if I've actually lost any weight - I don't own a scale.

:smallbiggrin:

Forget about the weight. That's a way better indicator than weight.

Usually, it's best to use a combination of different indicators. Weight, clothes size, overall health (feeling), appearance, reactions from other people... Weight alone is not enough!

sparkyinbozo
2011-07-01, 10:43 AM
I'm glad to see there's some definite interest here in the subject. Yay for healthy gamers!

I was thinking getting something set solid down for anyone interested in the tracking/motivational aspects in the next week or so (as I'm in the middle of relocating cross-country at the moment). Something like a chart w/goals, progress, and tracking posted on the first page, week-by-week. Let me know if that's a definite interest. We'll say start on...the 10th.

Maralais
2011-07-01, 11:12 AM
Write me up for the progress thing. The goal is getting down to at least 80 kg by september 18. And I'm currently 93,5 kg.

Trog
2011-07-01, 12:22 PM
:smallbiggrin:

Forget about the weight. That's a way better indicator than weight.

Usually, it's best to use a combination of different indicators. Weight, clothes size, overall health (feeling), appearance, reactions from other people... Weight alone is not enough!

True. For me it's mostly a feeling thing. Weight, that is. I trust my gut. Which sounds... odd... I suppose given the topic but it's true. If for whatever reason I am "overweight" (usually am at least a little bit ever since, oh, say, high school according to all the charts... which I do not trust) and I FEEL like I look good then I go with that. If I've lost a bunch of weight but feel bloated or what have you then I feel overweight. If that makes sense.

Though I have to agree that going by how clothing fits seems to be a good indicator. I'm not down to where those pants I fit into are, say, very comfortable... but I wore them the whole day without like... cutting off circulation to anything. On the other hand shorts that I was wearing last summer fall right off of me now. Which is probably a good thing because I need a few more fashionable pairs than the ones I had anyway. Even if they were comfortable.

Now to actually, you know, get in shape. Been walking more lately and even went on a bike ride with the kids the other day. I need to make that a more regular thing.

But not today. Today it's 104°F (40°C) out and I ain't a-doin' squat. Too damn hot. -.-;

Wreckingrocc
2011-07-02, 01:24 AM
While I'm by no means a nutritional expert, I will say that carbohydrates definitely make a huge impact on weight.

Back in February, my father, weighing in at about 230 Ib (about 5'10"), began a regimented sort of diet. He eats the same amount of food every day, but has cut bread, pasta, and chips entirely from his diet, replacing them for the most part with salad and nuts. He also began to refrain from late-night snacking. With no exercise and this diet alone, he's since dropped to about 192 Ib, following a pattern of roughly .25 Ib / day.

If you don't have time or simply don't want to exercise, I'd recommend giving this one a go for a month or so. Also, nuts are your friend.

THAC0
2011-07-05, 11:57 AM
Go me!

30 minutes of cardio. I wanted to do weights, but they had a machine for quads and other than that it was free-weights, and I need upper body work but I don't know anything about free weights so I didn't want to try.

I think this schedule will work pretty well for days when I don't have to work or go to class in the mornings.

TheThan
2011-07-05, 12:48 PM
So long story short, I need to lose a lot of weight before my brother’s wedding (date has not been set). The problem is that I’m fat and lazy and it gets over 100 degrees (that’s like 37+ Celsius for you non Americans) during this time of year. Which means it’s actually too hot to exercise during the day as heat is a real danger, especially if you’re really over weight.
Anyway what I need to is encouragement, so sign me on. I want to lose a minimum of 50 lbs (that’s like 22 kilos or something). Although I really need to lose more (like 100 lbs or more).

THAC0
2011-07-05, 12:51 PM
So long story short, I need to lose a lot of weight before my brother’s wedding (date has not been set). The problem is that I’m fat and lazy and it gets over 100 degrees (that’s like 37+ Celsius for you non Americans) during this time of year. Which means it’s actually too hot to exercise during the day as heat is a real danger, especially if you’re really over weight.
Anyway what I need to is encouragement, so sign me on. I want to lose a minimum of 50 lbs (that’s like 22 kilos or something). Although I really need to lose more (like 100 lbs or more).

Find a gym? It's 108 here today, but with an airconditioned gym it's fine.

Keld Denar
2011-07-05, 02:03 PM
Boot camp! Most gyms have them. They are intense, group "personal training" sessions. They tend to be cheaper than one-on-one personal training, but you get less face time with the trainer. They'll give you nutrition advice, lead you on workouts, give you workouts for non-boot camp days, and whatnot. They will push you the proper amount to get the correct results from your time at the gym, and help overcome the lazy factor.

Tyndmyr
2011-07-05, 02:16 PM

You are correct, sir. Sure, some foods have vitamins and good stuff, but calories are calories, and from a weight loss perspective, they are mostly interchangeable.

The notable exception is that your body can only process so much protein. Excess calories consumed in that form are lost. You have to eat quite a lot of protein for this to happen, though...

Energy level is extremely subjective. Metabolism can be manipulated in a number of ways besides calories consumption. Stimulants such as caffeine are a pretty straightforward way to do this. Morning workouts seem to work for some people. Breakfast works for some. Whatever works is great. That said, so long as you're sleeping a normal length of time, and getting cardio 3x/week, your metabolism is gonna be pretty decent.

For my summer improvement plan, I've lost 27 lbs thus far(about all I want to lose), and have gotten in significantly better shape. Took a month and change. I really should have taken a before picture, but I'm in the straight muscle-building phase now. I should note that I focused solely on a calories deficit, and the actual calories consumed were often things considered "bad" like pizza, ice cream, burgers, vodka, and the like. Manage total consumption, and don't get bogged down with the details.

Oh, do take a multivitamin if your diet is particularly unbalanced or unhealthy. Getting sick is generally going to derail workout plans if nothing else.

TheThan
2011-07-05, 02:23 PM
Boot camp! Most gyms have them. They are intense, group "personal training" sessions. They tend to be cheaper than one-on-one personal training, but you get less face time with the trainer. They'll give you nutrition advice, lead you on workouts, give you workouts for non-boot camp days, and whatnot. They will push you the proper amount to get the correct results from your time at the gym, and help overcome the lazy factor.

If I could afford a gym membership I would sign up for one. But I can’t (need a job). So that’s unfortunately not really an option

golentan
2011-07-05, 02:24 PM
So, a little more than a week into this thread, I am pleased to announce I am down 2-3 pounds. Due, I believe, in large part to finding an excellent hiking spot.

Tyndmyr
2011-07-05, 02:28 PM
If I could afford a gym membership I would sign up for one. But I can’t (need a job). So that’s unfortunately not really an option

Well, the economy is in the toilet...so a lot of gyms are much more flexible on their memberships than posted. I've got a gold's membership I haven't bothered to cancel because it's only $5 a month. You can often bypass starting fees by taking over a membership from another member...if you really want to take this route, it can be managed inexpensively.

Alternatively, plenty of things don't require a gym. Good ol' pushups, situps and walking/running. I hate them all, but they do work.

DaMidget
2011-07-05, 03:13 PM
Hmm, I think I could get into this thread, I'm gonna be kicking up my routine, aiming for at least 10-12 miles a week running, and adding more weightlifting, as my weight doesn't seem to want to go down.

Tyndmyr
2011-07-05, 04:00 PM
Keep in mind that calories burned mostly scale with distance, not speed....but if you go slow, you can run a crapton further.

So, I tend not to exceed 5mph much, but I do 5 mile stretches every other day. It won't make you a sprinter, but if you're going for weight loss, it's pretty solid.

Liffguard
2011-07-05, 04:52 PM
If the main goal is fat loss rather than strictly weight loss then a decent weight training regimen is indispensable. Running makes you burn calories whilst you run. Weight training builds muscle, which burns calories all the time.

DaMidget
2011-07-05, 05:15 PM
Yeah I do like slower runs, but I try to keep it between 6-6.5mph on longer runs. If I just do 5mph it becomes hard for me to kick it up to a 15 minute 2 mile I need for work.

Haruki-kun
2011-07-05, 08:00 PM
Keep in mind that calories burned mostly scale with distance, not speed....but if you go slow, you can run a crapton further.

Not quite true. (http://www.teenbodybuilding.com/justin6.htm) Alternate Link. (http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=621)

You are correct, sir. Sure, some foods have vitamins and good stuff, but calories are calories, and from a weight loss perspective, they are mostly interchangeable.

Also not quite true.
Another source to prove this. (http://www.naturalchampion.net/articles/article/2410291/51175.htm)

Quote from said source:

In scientific terms, a calorie (kilocalorie or kcal), is the amount of energy required to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. According to that definition, bio-chemically speaking, calories from fat, protein or carbohydrates might all be considered equal. But when the physiological and psychological effect of calories from different foods are taking into consideration, the answer changes.

Protein, fats and carbohydrates have primary and secondary nutrient-specific purposes within the body. For example, proteins are used for cellular growth and repair, synthesis of hormones and enzymes, and as a secondary source of energy (proteins can be converted to a form of glucose via gluconeogenesis) while carbohydrates are the body’s primary source of energy. A growing body of research shows that fats, carbohydrates and proteins not only serve different purposes within the body but have different effects on the metabolism via numerous pathways such as their effects on hormones (e.g., insulin, leptin, glucagon, etc), hunger and appetite, heat production, and uncoupling proteins (UCPs) and via the other mechanisms such as thermic effect of food (the heat liberated from a particular food not only of its energy content but also of its tendency to produce heat).

thorgrim29
2011-07-05, 08:41 PM
I should loose roughly 70 pounds... I was thinking of trying P90x again, mostly the cardio and ab videos, maybe one every 2 days, plus using that brand shiny new bench I bought with my brother to do weights, problem is he works long days at his summer job, we should have time for it in the autumn, till then I can still do the rest.

For food I don't think I could do anything too drastic (I am a weak willed person unfortunately, only way I could go on a diet would be to control what I buy and I don't want my family to suffer through my diet), but maybe cutting dessert on days I was supposed to exercise but didn't, and no eating after supper before midnight (when I wake up after 10 I don't eat breakfast anyway so what's the harm)

Maralais
2011-07-08, 01:53 PM
So, I kinda lost control over what I ate during a journey that lasted for almost a week, which led me to get back to 94 kilos. I should've lost 10 kilos by 18th of july! :smallfrown:

golentan
2011-07-10, 01:02 AM
Back below 175. Now for my happiness mind-virus infection, to forcibly share my happiness about my successful exercise regimen with all foolish enough to look within the box. Don't look if you will regret it.
Ring-ring-ring-ring-ring... Banana phone. (doo-doop-a-doo-ba-doop)

You're welcome.

THAC0
2011-07-10, 01:37 AM
I'm on my recovery day right now, after a week of my new routine. Still need to figure out some good upper body things to do. Maybe get more familiar with free weights or something. Happy with the "first thing in the morning" plan, but the next two weeks I have a class that starts before the gym is open, so I'll have to work out in the late afternoon.

I don't have a scale, but I'm feeling better about myself at least!

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-10, 10:35 AM
I've lost 10 pounds by walking to work and skipping breakfast and/or lunch.

Om
2011-07-10, 12:52 PM
I'm on my recovery day right now, after a week of my new routine. Still need to figure out some good upper body things to do. Maybe get more familiar with free weights or something. Happy with the "first thing in the morning" plan, but the next two weeks I have a class that starts before the gym is open, so I'll have to work out in the late afternoonThe two best resources I found when starting out were this guy (http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/#) (who has a host of excellent youTube videos and is an all-round great source of info) and the Exercise and Muscle (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html) directory. Getting your form right is very important, so study the videos, but you have to start somewhere. When I started out I came up with, through trial and error, a simple hour long routine that hit pretty most of the upper body areas. A year of this at three times a week and I definitely filled out a lot. You'll also have to look at nutrition though, but this can tie in nicely with weight loss