PDA

View Full Version : Terrablox - Plastic terrain

-T-
2011-06-29, 04:17 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/terrablox_recessed.jpg

This is a project I've been working on for a few weeks and trying to make a reality.

The idea is explained more in depth on the page, but it should be pretty self explanatory. The image is a concept render, and I also have a video of the current prototypes (more versions are being made already):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOf5kHZdldQ

My plan right now is to generate some interest, submit to Kickstarter, and try to get these made. I've already been working with a local plastic manufacturer for design and prototypes; I'm going to send some samples to gaming sites and such and see if they can post about them.

I had a thread about about a week ago but they told me to remake it with a few changes, so here you go.

There are a couple posts from the old thread I didn't get to respond to so I'll quote them here:

what about hex-shaped blocks?

Right now it seems like square blocks would be the most unique and useful. For hex blocks you already have Heroscape. If this does end up becoming a respected brand name, hex blocks are a possibility.

I can't tell from the pictures, but it's necessary that they be 1" square, so that they can be used with flip-mats - also making it easy to measure height (1 block = 5 feet) so you know just how many d6's you're going to suffer for falling off these things.

I would also consider having them lock to the sides via "pips" - like how they lock top to bottom - instead of a sliding mechanism, so that larger free-floating structures like bridges are more stable.

They are indeed 1" squares, and 1" in height (with 1/4" pieces planned as well). They'll align to any 1" grid battlemat, which is how I intend to use them.

They do lock sideways, check out the prototype video. "Sliding" is what a lot of people assume they do, and I tried that as well, but making them lock sideways seems obvious to have when it's so simple to make it work.

Other things to consider - a way to keep them from sliding around (maybe rubber bits you can stick on the bottoms), a way to stabilize free-floating structures (I.E. stands), and perhaps later even pre-made terrain pieces that'll fit with these, or flexible plastic mats that have a raised grid of "pips" for easy building.

I would like to make larger pieces like hills, walls, baseplates, etc., but at first it will be only the basic shapes because tooling additional molds costs thousands of dollars. Those will be, essentially, a Second Edition thing.

Question. Are you limited to building stacks of things or is it possible to go under terrain? I see that you have the tree branches there, but it's hard for me to tell if that's something the finished product will do

Let's say there's a fight in an alley. Fighters surround the exits, archers and a mage show up on the rooftops. I can represent this on a map, no problem. But if there's a door into a house, players can go inside it and end up under the archers. As soon as that becomes an option, it's worth my time to build a model. Until that point it's not worthwhile. If your blocks can do interiors like this, I'd absolutely buy them. If not, I'll pass.

Multiple stories, overhangs, and arches are 100% possible, and the main advantage these have over a wet erase mat. They do indeed snap together in all directions, check out the prototype video. You'd have to have an invisible "fourth wall" to reach inside, but that's how it's usually done for wargames anyway.

UserClone
2011-06-29, 04:26 PM
Okay, I'll be the first guy to ask: what do you plan to charge for these, because their appeal to me is inversely proportionate to the number on the pricetag.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-29, 04:31 PM
Okay, I'll be the first guy to ask: what do you plan to charge for these, because their appeal to me is inversely proportionate to the number on the pricetag.

This. In addition, I'm curious about the number of planned colors, including a clear one.

After all, you should only need one mold. Additional colors shouldn't be that bad.

Also, how well do they lock in vertically? Because the only overhang I see is symmetrical, but I can easily imagine wanting to do very non-symmetrical things, and I'm curious how how firmly it holds.

VarianArdell
2011-06-29, 04:39 PM
I have but one question: would the 1/4" pieces you have planned for the future be better as 1/5"? I mean, these will (theoretically) be used in D&D games, where each 1" square is 5', so breaking them down into 1' segments seem like it would make the most sense...

-T-
2011-06-29, 05:05 PM

I'm aiming for $30 for a box of 125, which looks like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/125_terrablox.jpg

I'll probably do bigger boxes too, like 512 and 1000. The idea is to sell them in cube shaped boxes, just because it's be cute. 125 blocks make a 5" cube, about the size of the old iPod boxes.

On Kickstarter, the "pledge amount" for one box will probably be $40-50 because it has to include shipping. After I send out some samples I'll have a better idea what shipping is going to be like.

I'm curious about the number of planned colors, including a clear one.

After all, you should only need one mold. Additional colors shouldn't be that bad.

Also, how well do they lock in vertically? Because the only overhang I see is symmetrical, but I can easily imagine wanting to do very non-symmetrical things, and I'm curious how how firmly it holds.

I'll have at least:

Grey
Brown
Green
White
Black
Clear Blue

I don't want to pack too many colors into one box, so that you have at least 20 of each. Additional colors might come in a second set, or in smaller booster packs or something. I kind of also want to have beige, red, yellow, purple, opaque blue, and so on. The core set is "Minecraft Colors" because those seem pretty versatile. Grey can be rock, block walls, metal walls; brown can be soil, sand, wood; and so on and so forth.

What do you mean by "symmetrical"? If you mean will they snap together even if not exactly lined up, that should work fine.

would the 1/4" pieces you have planned for the future be better as 1/5"? I mean, these will (theoretically) be used in D&D games, where each 1" square is 5', so breaking them down into 1' segments seem like it would make the most sense...

I thought about 1/5" inch for that exact reason, but I think 1/4" would be better because you can make half height pieces by stacking two of them. It's a hard decision.

Suicidal Charge
2011-06-29, 05:17 PM
For those curious, the old thread can be found HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203272). While my need for hexes is more pressing than squares, I'd probably buy some. I recommend you put the red into the core pack, because I can use it for a lot (lava, fire, blood, pillars of demonic energy, etc.). What's the coin thing in the picture?

EDIT: Take a gander at this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tre_Ux1sorY&feature=related).

Tyndmyr
2011-06-30, 06:52 AM
I'm aiming for $30 for a box of 125, which looks like this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2188428/125_terrablox.jpg

I'll probably do bigger boxes too, like 512 and 1000. The idea is to sell them in cube shaped boxes, just because it's be cute. 125 blocks make a 5" cube, about the size of the old iPod boxes.

On Kickstarter, the "pledge amount" for one box will probably be $40-50 because it has to include shipping. After I send out some samples I'll have a better idea what shipping is going to be like.

$30 is a pretty solid price...$50 starts to get a bit high, relative to alternate solutions.

What do you mean by "symmetrical"? If you mean will they snap together even if not exactly lined up, that should work fine.

What I meant was, the tree is balanced. There's no lateral stress on the vertical join. Is the connection firm enough to hold if, lego-style, I decide to build laterally in one direction but not the other?

I thought about 1/5" inch for that exact reason, but I think 1/4" would be better because you can make half height pieces by stacking two of them. It's a hard decision.

I'm ok with quarter inch...it makes the dividing easy, and it's rare that I need to measure down to the foot anyhow. That said, red is a fantastic inclusion.

TheAbstruseOne
2011-06-30, 07:43 AM
As someone who currently hauls around solid wooden blocks right now (which weigh a LOT and slide around easily), this interests me. Especially if there's a clear one for flight. I personally love 3D terrain and I use mine with a Chessex battlemat and Dungeon Tiles at the same time, which means anything that would help with that would be welcome.

Talakeal
2011-06-30, 07:50 AM
I would definetly buy these right now if they were available.

I would probably not use them to create scenery though, I would be using them for spell effects like walls of stone / fire or to elevate flying models.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-06-30, 11:59 AM
I can't watch the video from work, but this sounds very cool from what all of you are saying. I'll check it out and give some feedback when I get home.

-T-
2011-06-30, 02:47 PM
What I meant was, the tree is balanced. There's no lateral stress on the vertical join. Is the connection firm enough to hold if, lego-style, I decide to build laterally in one direction but not the other?

The joint is very firm, but with no baseplate, as in that image, you can only go out one, maybe two blocks before the center of gravity is too far and it falls over. If I manage to make baseplates, or if you have a stabilizing "foot", you'll be able to cantilever six or more blocks easily.

In a later video I'll stick a few together and throw them at the floor, they're pretty sturdy. About the same as LEGOs.

- -

Using them for things like wall of stone or flying models hadn't even occurred to me. A clear colorless block is one I thought of doing anyway.

Suicidal Charge
2011-06-30, 03:02 PM
they're pretty sturdy. About the same as LEGOs.

Er... Maybe it's just my sets, but most of them seem to be structurally weak, particularly the airplane sets.

Tyndmyr
2011-06-30, 03:04 PM
Yeah, that's a firm enough grip for me...

A quarter sized block accessory would be pretty handy. I'd probably use them as baseplates for treasure chests, models, etc.

The clear block is especially handy...I use the clear dice boxes now, which are aright...until someone bumps the table.

Lots of accessory possibilities here.

Another_Poet
2011-06-30, 03:56 PM
This would finally allow me to realize my dream of a Final Fantasy Tactics tabletop game.

I vote for 1/4" pieces for the smaller ones.

The price sounds very fair by the way. I'm excited about this.

nihil8r
2011-07-01, 02:19 AM
it's a pretty good idea, but you know you could make these at home and sell them yourself with casting resin, thus cutting out the middleman.

Otherworld Odd
2011-07-01, 05:49 AM
Once these come out, if they do, I would definitely buy them for 30$. My group could really use something like this I think.

Alchemistmerlin
2011-07-01, 09:22 AM
it's a pretty good idea, but you know you could make these at home and sell them yourself with casting resin, thus cutting out the middleman.

Going with a manufacturer increases both quantity and speed of fabrication though, and may also increase quality depending on who gets the job. Making them in your home while also holding down a job would probably lead to very few people being able to purchase the product from you.

Plus, while it may seem illogical, it also decreases price as long as demand is high enough. The ability to buy material on spec in bulk is not something the hobbyist has.

Seb Wiers
2011-07-01, 10:30 AM
I think I already PMed this, but since the thread is up again:

Given this is largely for D&D (if only due to numbers of potential users) you should strongly consider some "soft corner" pieces. The current design makes for good "hard corner" terrain, but you need something to represent the "soft corners" (ones that don't block diagonal LOS & movement over the corner) even in the basic set.
If the pieces are otherwise 4 way rotatable, as the current designs look to be, a block with one corner rounded would do nicely for the basic set. Some full round (all 4 corners soft) pieces for an expansion (to act as pillars / tree trunks) would maybe be worth considering.