PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the best way I could honor Gary Gygax?

Pika...
2011-07-01, 11:33 PM
Well, I am talking with the future bmama about names. She might let me choose the middle name. While I would like my name as the middle, I was thinking maybe I could honor the guy who helped change my life in numerous ways. Who helped expand my imagination, helped with my issues, helped me learn to socialize, and helped me find the imaginative and beautiful world inside my head and behind my eyes. Also, anyone who plays D&D seriously will recognize such a unique name (I had never heard it before or since): Gygax.

Thoughts on this?

Solaris
2011-07-02, 01:22 AM
I would instead go with 'Gary'. Unusual names aren't such a hot idea.

grimbold
2011-07-02, 01:46 AM
I think that would be really cool actually. That is indeed a great idea.

I would instead go with 'Gary'. Unusual names aren't such a hot idea.
I understand where you are coming from, but it's his middle name so it doesn't really affect much on an everyday social level.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-02, 02:09 AM
As a middle name it could be pretty cool yes. And it would only be a G. in the name most often than not anyway, so if the mom is okay with it, it'd be awesome.

Just makes sure the little guy gets a sensible first name. :)

ZombyWoof
2011-07-02, 02:12 AM
As a middle name it could be pretty cool yes. And it would only be a G. in the name most often than not anyway, so if the mom is okay with it, it'd be awesome.

Just makes sure the little guy gets a sensible first name. :)

Like Samus? :smallbiggrin:
if you think this is sensible let me know, I have a marriage proposal coming your way.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-02, 02:18 AM
Why not? Not any odder than some of the girls names I've heard. (Even if I'd go with Seamus or Harper myself... a tribute to my favorite grumpy sci-fi genius. :p)

ZombyWoof
2011-07-02, 02:31 AM
*gets down on his knee*

Nikita, will you marry me?

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-02, 02:37 AM
Sorry Zomby... You're a month to late. :p (Actually one month and 4 days, but who's counting? XD)

Knaight
2011-07-02, 04:11 AM
I understand where you are coming from, but it's his middle name so it doesn't really affect much on an everyday social level.

It does through school, though a lot less than first or last names, and if you are named after someone who it is is somewhat important. I'd not name someone after someone they may well view disdainfully, and instead choose something a little more neutral.

Mindfreak
2011-07-02, 09:49 AM
Well, I am talking with the future bmama about names. She might let me choose the middle name. While I would like my name as the middle, I was thinking maybe I could honor the guy who helped change my life in numerous ways. Who helped expand my imagination, helped with my issues, helped me learn to socialize, and helped me find the imaginative and beautiful world inside my head and behind my eyes. Also, anyone who plays D&D seriously will recognize such a unique name (I had never heard it before or since): Gygax.

Thoughts on this?

That sounds great. Gary was a great and inspiring guy, even in his later days. He was full of energy and imagination even at an old age. I fully support this idea.

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-02, 10:00 AM
Not a bad idea. But as someone with a strange middle name, I suggest you go with Gary instead of Gygax.

Asta Kask
2011-07-02, 10:04 AM
It's a good way. The best way is, I think, to continue playing the kind of games he loved and helped give birth to.

Blisstake
2011-07-02, 10:23 AM
I would go with Gary. I mean, what if he ends up not liking D&D or similar games at all? That could probably get awkward.

Or is the baby's gender unknown at the moment?

grimbold
2011-07-02, 11:45 AM
It does through school, though a lot less than first or last names, and if you are named after someone who it is is somewhat important. I'd not name someone after someone they may well view disdainfully, and instead choose something a little more neutral.

okay
this is a fair point
i have to agree with you now

Eldan
2011-07-02, 12:05 PM
Gygax isn't that unusual as a last name around here. I know a family personally, and have heard of a few others. Having it as a middle name does sound pretty strange.

Remmirath
2011-07-02, 12:17 PM
I would go with Gary. I mean, what if he ends up not liking D&D or similar games at all? That could probably get awkward.

That's what I was thinking. You could always tell him about it (particularly if he did end up liking roleplaying games), and then he'd either think it was awesome and could then tell other people if he liked, or if he didn't like it nobody would have to know if he didn't want them to.

Tengu_temp
2011-07-02, 07:25 PM
Giving kids unusual names is doing them a huge disfavour, because it invites mocking and bullying at school and can make the kid feel alienated.

Suicidal Charge
2011-07-02, 07:40 PM
Not a bad idea. But as someone with a strange middle name, I suggest you go with Gary instead of Gygax.

And as someone with a strange middle name (Hurlbut), I suggest you go with Gygax. :smallbiggrin: But, then again, I'm more than a little strange.

Yrcrazypa
2011-07-02, 07:41 PM

I'd wager that by the time the kid goes to school, no one would know who Gary Gygax was. Most people I know don't have a clue who he is, even those who are somewhat familiar with D&D. And as a middle name, it's not quite so bad.

ZombyWoof
2011-07-02, 08:05 PM
Sorry Zomby... You're a month to late. :p (Actually one month and 4 days, but who's counting? XD)

:smallfrown:

My one shot at true happiness...

Temotei
2011-07-02, 08:06 PM
Make it flow. If the first name sounds better with Gygax, use that. If it sounds better with Gary, do that. :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2011-07-02, 08:10 PM
Make it flow. If the first name sounds better with Gygax, use that. If it sounds better with Gary, do that. :smalltongue:

That's a really bad idea. It just invites bullying further, like all examples of being named after a celebrity, and the kid won't be happy when he learns he's named after a man he probably doesn't give a damn about. Also, it's up to the actual parents to give the kid the first name, Pika at most might pick the second one.

Xefas
2011-07-02, 08:14 PM
I'm gonna have to add my hat to the "Great idea, but go with Gary...please" camp.

Temotei
2011-07-02, 08:16 PM
That's a really bad idea. It just invites bullying further, like all examples of being named after a celebrity, and the kid won't be happy when he learns he's named after a man he probably doesn't give a damn about. Also, it's up to the actual parents to give the kid the first name, Pika at most might pick the second one.

How does making a name sound better with the middle name invite further bullying? Being named after the man might, but it's very rare for anyone to know anyone else's middle name when bullying about names actually matters to the kid. Those who do know are those who actually will care about the kid and not bully.

Of course it's up to the mums to decide on the first name for sure and maybe the middle name, but if Pika gets to choose the middle name, he'll be able to pick the one he wants, perhaps deciding Gary or Gygax based on how it sounds.

Tengu_temp
2011-07-02, 08:43 PM
How does making a name sound better with the middle name invite further bullying? Being named after the man might, but it's very rare for anyone to know anyone else's middle name when bullying about names actually matters to the kid. Those who do know are those who actually will care about the kid and not bully.

A bully might hear the kid's name, or read it somewhere (like on a paper he snatched from him). He won't know who Gygax is, but he will know it sounds funny, and mocking will commence. And even if the kid manages to avoid bullying, knowing that he has a weird name and/or learning its origins will probably do no good for his confidence.

Atcote
2011-07-02, 08:50 PM
I'd say 'Gygax' is a fine idea for a middle name. Name bullying is some of the weakest of bullying - it usually doesn't affect much beyond primary school, if then at all. I have (well, okay, they're my girlfriend's, but dammit if I haven't known them long enough) a nephew called Shea and a niece called Fern, and they seem yet to get any guff about it - the worst names, really, are the ones that rhyme, but even they lose interest in them eventually (you'd get more crap just by being the 'new kid').

So maybe not Slygax Gygax (have to save that for my next Sci-Fi character).

I'd say it's a cute way to show admiration; I know people who name their kids middle names after footballers, authors and even fictional characters, but if a game designer is that important a person in your life that you would honour him so, I see no reason why not to.

RPGuru1331
2011-07-03, 04:45 AM
This is a terrible idea. The kid isn't even yours, so demanding a place at the naming table is kind of... weird, to say the least, but even if we assumed it was your kid, this wouldn't be a good idea. Kids don't tend to be happy being named after other people in the first place*, and all else being equal they probably are going to be even less happy being named after a Nerd Icon. If you want to honor Gygax, change *your* middle name to Gygax; you got a say in it, and it was your decision. Don't make a kid do it for you.

*Yes, I'm aware that there are traditions of naming kids 'for' people in the family, and such. I said it was a bad idea, not an uncommon idea.

KenderWizard
2011-07-03, 05:00 AM
This is a terrible idea. The kid isn't even yours, so demanding a place at the naming table is kind of... weird, to say the least, but even if we assumed it was your kid, this wouldn't be a good idea. Kids don't tend to be happy being named after other people in the first place*, and all else being equal they probably are going to be even less happy being named after a Nerd Icon. If you want to honor Gygax, change *your* middle name to Gygax; you got a say in it, and it was your decision. Don't make a kid do it for you.

*Yes, I'm aware that there are traditions of naming kids 'for' people in the family, and such. I said it was a bad idea, not an uncommon idea.

Oh, be nice, Pika isn't "demanding" the mothers give him the right to choose part of the child's name. They're being very fair to both him and the child in allowing them to have a relationship. I'm sure if Pika wanted to give the kid a totally ridiculous middle name, the mothers would say no.

It sounds to me like they'll take his suggestions for middle names, and if it's a name they like, they'll go with it. That makes me think Gary is more likely to be a runner.

If it was me, I'd probably want the child to have part of my name, like my middle name, and just introduce them to D&D at a suitable juncture, but I can definitely see the appeal of Gygax, and if the mothers think it's fine, I'd say go for it!

Lord Loss
2011-07-03, 08:42 AM
'Gygax' is a fine middle name. Few people know your middle name, much less bully you about it. We had some kids with peculiar middle names at our school and no one got teased about it. I have a rathet plain, common name and would have enjoyed a quirky middle name to spice it up.

Middle names don't come up all that often in life (teachers don't often use them when calling attendance) and if the kid does end up roleplaying, this will be made of win for him. And if he doesn't, he'll just think his middle name sounds cool.

grimbold
2011-07-03, 09:09 AM
I just realized an important factor

how do the mothers feel about D&D?

Asta Kask
2011-07-03, 11:27 AM

Thoughts on this?

Where is the child growing up?

Temotei
2011-07-03, 11:34 AM
teachers don't often use them when calling attendance

Attendance calling didn't even happen in my high school. The teachers do it on the first day (often just calling first names; if there were multiples of a first name, one of us would ask, "Which one?") and then do it on their attendance slip as each of us showed up. It seemed to work. There was only one teacher that called audio attendance (He was one of the worst teachers in the school, though that's coincidental. :smallamused:).

grimbold
2011-07-03, 11:58 AM
Attendance calling didn't even happen in my high school. The teachers do it on the first day (often just calling first names; if there were multiples of a first name, one of us would ask, "Which one?") and then do it on their attendance slip as each of us showed up. It seemed to work. There was only one teacher that called audio attendance (He was one of the worst teachers in the school, though that's coincidental. :smallamused:).

i think i am being swayed back to the Gygax side now :smallsmile:

Knaight
2011-07-03, 08:34 PM
Kids don't tend to be happy being named after other people in the first place.

Everything else in your post I agree with, however I would say that there are major exceptions to this. Being named after legitimately famous people, who have a positive reputation, who's fame is enduring, is used as a conversation point. For instance, my middle name came from Sir Isaac Newton, who fits all of those, and between it being common and it being from someone who made massive advances in physics I never had cause for complaint. I've seen this carried out consistently, in regards to major figures.

Pika...
2011-07-03, 08:38 PM

Um, my rights are NOT being taken away, so I will be the father. Secondly, the carrier told me that she may let me. I did not "demand" anything. However, since this thread was made she had a loss in her family, so I have said maybe she might want to use the middle name for her deceased uncle, so it might not matter anyway. She cared a lot for that uncle, so I am OK not getting any naming in. Shame he won't see his grand nephew/niece. :smallfrown:

edit:

I just realized an important factor

how do the mothers feel about D&D?

Well, the carrier (the other mother is kinda out of the picture now...might be for good) thinks it and my geekness is "cute", and somewhat funny. She is a sweet woman, and does not judge. She finds it cute that I collect Hello Kitty, so she's a keeper as a baby-mama. :smallbiggrin:

Where is the child growing up?

With the mother.

Temotei
2011-07-03, 09:53 PM
With the mother.

I think he wanted to know the region or location specifically so as to derive whether ridicule would be more or less likely than in other regions. I could be wrong, though.

Also, :smallfrown:. Loss of her partner and her uncle? :smallsigh:

Pika...
2011-07-03, 09:57 PM
Also, :smallfrown:. Loss of her partner and her uncle? :smallsigh:

And got robbed while in another state visiting uncle. I feel so much for her right now. :smallfrown:

Temotei
2011-07-03, 10:17 PM
And got robbed while in another state visiting uncle. I feel so much for her right now. :smallfrown:

Man, that sucks. Nobody deserves that. :smallannoyed::smallfrown:

Knaight
2011-07-04, 01:34 AM

That's awful, having all that at once. :smallfrown:

Asta Kask
2011-07-04, 02:58 AM
With the mother.

Yes, but... Netherlands? France? The UK? The darkest reaches of Africa, where no the hand of man has never set foot?

Killer Angel
2011-07-04, 04:56 AM
I'm gonna have to add my hat to the "Great idea, but go with Gary...please" camp.

Count me in.

I'm sure if Pika wanted to give the kid a totally ridiculous middle name, the mothers would say no.

It sounds to me like they'll take his suggestions for middle names, and if it's a name they like, they'll go with it.

Pretty much. I'm a nerd, but I would say no to Gygax and yes to Gary.
If the child will love RPGs, he'll appreciate also the reason behind "Gary".