PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Baltimore/DC Area Meetup (Oct. 14-16 2011)

Pages : [1] 2

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-02, 11:34 PM
It's not an annual thing, yet, but we're going to give it our best.

This October Alarra and I are cordially inviting anyone who will be in the area for the weekend of October 14-16 to decend upon our home and partake of our hospitality.

We don't have the same kind of awesome that the Johnson City folks have, but we DO have one of the more spectacular Rennaissance Festivals (http://www.rennfest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1) in the country (second largest, I'm told).

Currently our plans are to have people arriving on Friday, participating in games and socializing until the wee hours of "way earlier than in JC". On Saturday morning, we'll awaken earlier and caravan down to the Ren Fest, leaving our place at around 8:30am in order to try to get good parking and good positioning for opening ceremonies, which are fun. Doors close at 6PM, but if everyone's ready to go before then, we can certainly pack up early. Upon leaving RenFest, we'll again gather at the Troll Cave and partake in more gaming and socializing until whatever hour we want. Sunday will consist of sad farewells and wishes for safe travels back to your respective home turfs. Perhaps this time we'll even come back to the thread and talk about how much fun was had.

I'll need a headcount for who's up for the RenFest. Given enough notice, I can get tickets at a discount of about $3 cheaper than the price at the gates. It'll also mean that people won't have to stand in line at the gates and we can start enjoying the morning even earlier.

An idea of interest will also help us decide on what needs to be done for hosting. Last time, there were few enough people that everyone was able to stay at our place. If we get more interest this year from folks coming from out of town, we'll do a bit of research and see what we can recommend for local hotels/motels. There are plenty of hotels that are very nearby and easy to get back and forth to from our place.

Activities for Friday and Saturday night are open for discussion. If there's something that people would like to do, we'll see what we can figure out about making that happen.

We will have that Thursday night off, so if people are too excited to wait and want to show up early, we'll be home and happy to entertain. :smallcool:

List o' people attending:

Coming:
Zeb
Alarra
Pudding Troll
Mauve Shirt
Lord Blace
Smellie Hippie
Mountain Faerie
Krade
IsaacTheHungry
Philistine
Mango
SquirrelKing
Llama
pendell

Interest expressed but not 'confirmed'
Sneak
Rabbit
Indy and Katie
Helgraf
Archonic Energy
wxdruid
Zherog
Tyndmyr
Razgriez
PGCoD
zimmerwald1915
Bor + Neko
druid91
The Valiant Turtle
ric0
Sholos
Galathir
Mephibosheth
rogueboy
Kuzimu

Coming if I have to drive down to Woodbridge and drag them up by their hair
Archives Ninja, Cho and Piglet

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-02, 11:41 PM
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I'll be joining you!

Cristo Meyers
2011-07-03, 12:18 AM
Figures, we have the PTO built up to take another meetup and we're apparently busy.

*whisper whisper*

What?

*whisper*

Um, yeah, of course I knew that weekend was my wedding anniversary! What do you take me for?

*whisper*

...that question was rhetorical...

blackfox
2011-07-03, 12:38 AM
Gorrammit Fall Break y u on weekend before this

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-03, 12:40 AM
A trip to (the vicinity of) our nation's capital and an awesome RenFest sound like GREAT ideas for an anniversary celebration! :smalltongue:

Lex-Kat
2011-07-03, 12:40 AM
I would love to go, but I can't afford it. Maybe next year. :smallfrown:

Philistine
2011-07-03, 12:55 AM
One way or another I hope to be there.

Helgraf
2011-07-03, 12:58 AM
Interest, not confirmed.

Archonic Energy
2011-07-03, 03:37 AM
i think my holiday may intersect those dates...
if so i'm there. :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-03, 05:28 AM
That would be fanTAStic!

Diva De
2011-07-03, 09:26 AM
VERY interested are De and Gryf. We were talking about taking our honeymoon cruise in October, so we will see.

Kyrian
2011-07-03, 12:23 PM
Sadly Kyrian and fiancee will have to pass. Something about getting married on the 15th or so... :smallwink:

But Zeb, I'm making plans to insure I have at least one of GenCon's nights off so I can bring her down and meet you, Alarra and co.

IsaacTheHungry
2011-07-03, 01:18 PM
i know i am more of a lurker but can i come? I think i will be free and i am back in the DC area (i just finished collage in FL)

*digs through boxes muttering something about bribes*

um.. games, i can bring games...

Battle cry-cool 2 player civil war game
Risk
Garfield monopoly
3-4 types of munchkin
2 copies of settlers of catan and on copy of the seafarers expantion
N64 and game cube with super smash brothers (and one TV if we need it)

and maybe a great game called empire builder (railroad game, long game but good)

an i might ba able to run a one off 3.5 d&d game, an adventure i built based on the pirates of caribian (and monkey island and tresure island and ...) :smallbiggrin:

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-03, 02:01 PM
i know i am more of a lurker but can i come? I think i will be free and i am back in the DC area (i just finished collage in FL)Absolutely! Posting prevalence is not a requirement. :smallcool:

wxdruid
2011-07-03, 03:26 PM
I don't know yet, but the mention of Renfests is very tempting. Just not sure I'll have enough time or money. GenCon in Aug and my brother's wedding is in Sept.

Krade
2011-07-03, 09:58 PM
I'd say put me in the 'Coming' list.

I'd need to work out details on everything with work. Plus I want to try and combine this with my trip to visit my friend in upstate New York. My latest idea involves him coming too, but I haven't talked to him about it yet. The idea has me taking the bus to him and hanging out doing whatever, the both of us going to the meetup, then drive back to New York. That way, I'd only need one bus ticket. But, as I said, I haven't run this by him yet.

Basically, not exactly 100%, but close enough, I think.

Edit: Can NOT believe I forgot which side of the number the '%' goes on:smalleek:

Lord Blace
2011-07-05, 01:17 PM
+ Blace indeed! I'll be at this one definitely.
Man, if this one does become an annual thing, I foresee gitp meet ups being where a lot of my money goes, since I hope to start going to the TN meet ups again starting next year. :smalltongue:

Gryffon
2011-07-05, 01:40 PM
Just chiming in, largely so that there's a check mark on the thread so that it's easier to find >.<

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-05, 04:06 PM
If Phil is maybe going, than Rabbit is maybe going.

Zherog
2011-07-05, 04:15 PM
Please add my name to the "maybe" list. I'll need to check with the boss (my wife) and check finances and vacation time and all the other stuff.

pendell
2011-07-05, 04:18 PM
It's not an annual thing, yet, but we're going to give it our best.

This October Alarra and I are cordially inviting anyone who will be in the area for the weekend of October 14-16 to decend upon our home and partake of our hospitality.

We don't have the same kind of awesome that the Johnson City folks have, but we DO have one of the more spectacular Rennaissance Festivals (http://www.rennfest.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1) in the country (second largest, I'm told).

Currently our plans are to have people arriving on Friday, participating in games and socializing until the wee hours of "way earlier than in JC". On Saturday morning, we'll awaken earlier and caravan down to the Ren Fest, leaving our place at around 8:30am in order to try to get good parking and good positioning for opening ceremonies, which are fun. Doors close at 6PM, but if everyone's ready to go before then, we can certainly pack up early. Upon leaving RenFest, we'll again gather at the Troll Cave and partake in more gaming and socializing until whatever hour we want. Sunday will consist of sad farewells and wishes for safe travels back to your respective home turfs. Perhaps this time we'll even come back to the thread and talk about how much fun was had.

I'll need a headcount for who's up for the RenFest. Given enough notice, I can get tickets at a discount of about $3 cheaper than the price at the gates. It'll also mean that people won't have to stand in line at the gates and we can start enjoying the morning even earlier.

An idea of interest will also help us decide on what needs to be done for hosting. Last time, there were few enough people that everyone was able to stay at our place. If we get more interest this year from folks coming from out of town, we'll do a bit of research and see what we can recommend for local hotels/motels. There are plenty of hotels that are very nearby and easy to get back and forth to from our place.

Activities for Friday and Saturday night are open for discussion. If there's something that people would like to do, we'll see what we can figure out about making that happen.

We will have that Thursday night off, so if people are too excited to wait and want to show up early, we'll be home and happy to entertain. :smallcool:

List o' people attending:

Coming:
Zeb
Alarra
Pudding Troll
Mauve Shirt
Lord Blace
Smellie Hippie
Mountain Faerie
Fishie and Mahto (I assume?)
Krade
IsaacTheHungry

Interest expressed but not 'confirmed'
Llama
Sneak
Philistine
Mango
De and Gryf
Indy and Katie
Helgraf
Archonic Energy
wxdruid

Coming if I have to drive down to Woodbridge and drag them up by their hair
Archives Ninja, Cho and Piglet

Put me in the "interest expressed but not confirmed". I will have to discuss with Susan before committing.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Philistine
2011-07-05, 06:06 PM
Is there a "tentatively confirmed" list? I'm almost certain I can make it - by car if I can scare up some company for the drive, or by air if not.

If there, I'll definitely be interested in RenFaire-ing it up Saturday. Also, hotel recommendations would be much appreciated, though there's no rush.

Gryffon
2011-07-05, 06:57 PM
We must find a group motel, in the case that De and I make it >.>

mangosta71
2011-07-05, 10:16 PM
I am making plans to attend.

On the topic of the Ren Fair, would an Ezio cosplay be appropriate (or funny even if not)?

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-05, 10:18 PM

On the topic of the Ren Fair, would an Ezio cosplay be appropriate (or funny even if not)?

There was one at the Muskogee Renfaire

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-05, 11:53 PM

On the topic of the Ren Fair, would an Ezio cosplay be appropriate (or funny even if not)?It wouldn't be unwelcome! I've seen everything from a very well done drow fighter to people dressed as robots using cardboard boxes and aluminum foil. The focus is on the fun, not on the authenticity. On that note, though, if you do come dressed as an assassin, I'll give you a dollar if you "assassinate" the king while we're there. :smallamused:

Seeing the kind of interest we're getting, Alarra and I will start scouting out local overnighters and see what we can come up with.

IsaacTheHungry
2011-07-06, 11:50 AM
about the renfest, read the posted rules on their site

The one big one is NO weapons, not even fake ones
http://www.rennfest.com/ lower left

Also they have on site costume rentals :smallbiggrin:
listed under general info tab

Edit:
For the women the choices are
The Lady of the realm ($60)
The Wench ($20)
The Fair Maiden ($25)

For the men
The Lord of the Realm ($50)
The Rogue ($20)
The Outlaw ($25)
The Soldier ($25)
The Knight ($30)
The Monk ($25)
You can see the descriptions on their site

Tyndmyr
2011-07-06, 12:20 PM
Interest, not confirmed, here. If you have a hard date you want confirmation by, let me know. I'm very, very interested, and I routinely hit up the ren faire anyhow, but it's a bit far out for me to be sure yet.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-07, 11:40 AM
Interest, not confirmed, here. If you have a hard date you want confirmation by, let me know. I'm very, very interested, and I routinely hit up the ren faire anyhow, but it's a bit far out for me to be sure yet.Thankfully, I only need to know before I go purchase the tickets, so I'll set the cutoff at something like Monday the week of the meetup.

Penguinsushi
2011-07-07, 12:48 PM
Once again, this is pretty much out for us. I do hope to make it one year though - the Ren Fest sounds awesome.

Someone take plenty of pictures!

~PS

Lord Blace
2011-07-08, 04:23 PM
Should I bring my ps3, Munchkin, and/or my dice?

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-08, 05:07 PM
Should I bring my ps3, Munchkin, and/or my dice?I'm going to suggest "no" on the PS3. My living room is kind of on the small side and not conducive to party games much (though I have Kinect Adventures if we want to try it out). As for Munchkin, we have the basic box already, and LLama, if he can make it, has The Ultimate Munchkin Collection that he usually carries with him. Dice you can bring if you'd like, but if we end up needing dice and people don't have them, Alarra and I can accomodate.

Not that we're turning down any suggestions! We just want people to be able to travel as lightly as possible. I suppose I could make a list of the games we have on hand in the OP so people can know, huh? :smallcool:

*makes note to do that when he's less busy*

Artemis97
2011-07-08, 05:57 PM
It's too bad this is in October. I'm in DC for the summer, but will be going back in august. Ah well, I hope you all have a great time.

mangosta71
2011-07-08, 09:30 PM
You should stay. It's only a couple months.

Artemis97
2011-07-08, 09:39 PM
Yeah, except I have to go back to school in Florida, and I won't have housing, and I don't think my parents would be happy about it either (They're sort of paying for me to be up here). Though, I was curious if any of you were around the DC area, maybe get a chance to say hi. Although, I have to admit, I don't think I know most of you other than recognizing a name or two. It was just a thought, though.

Krade
2011-07-08, 11:24 PM
Although, I have to admit, I don't think I know most of you other than recognizing a name or two. It was just a thought, though.

Like that's ever stopped any of us before:smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-08, 11:26 PM
I don't think I knew anyone really the first time I went to a meetup. There was a whole lot of "...who are you? What part of the boards are you from? O.o"

SMEE
2011-07-09, 04:18 AM
What do you know... I might be at DC for business around that time if a meeting this month goes well.
I will keep you guys posted.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-09, 07:37 AM
Yeah, except I have to go back to school in Florida, and I won't have housing, and I don't think my parents would be happy about it either (They're sort of paying for me to be up here). Though, I was curious if any of you were around the DC area, maybe get a chance to say hi. Although, I have to admit, I don't think I know most of you other than recognizing a name or two. It was just a thought, though.Send me or Alarra a PM when you've got free time and we'll do lunch or dinner or something. :smallcool:

SMEE at the RenFest would be tres cool!

Razgriez
2011-07-09, 03:54 PM
I'm Interested, but I'm not 100% certain yet. It'll depend on what my work situation is that weekend.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2011-07-10, 06:54 PM
Now that I"m in the area, I may possibly be interested in meeting up for some socializing and fun. Although most likely not too interested in going to renfest though.

Krade
2011-07-10, 08:07 PM
I'm looking at various possibilities of managing this trip. My first choice is taking the bus to New York to hang out with my friend and then both of us drive down there and do the weekend thing and then drive back and put me on the bus home. However, I still haven't talked to him about this, so this is best case scenario here. My next best option seems to be three separate one-way tickets. Here to New York, New York to there, then back home. Compared to the round-trip from the first option, it's actually not much more expensive.

I'm glad this is still three months away, considering how bad I am at planning and communicating.

zimmerwald1915
2011-07-10, 09:17 PM
Hmm, I'll be in Baltimore on the dates listed, and furthermore, it's two days after my birthday. How could I stay away? Put me down for "interested", please.

Update/reminder nearer Oct 14 would be helpful.

Archonic Energy
2011-07-11, 05:56 AM
ok... looks like i won't be there for those dates, :smallfrown:
however i should be there... mid-late sept. :smallsmile:

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2011-07-11, 08:11 AM
You people do these things on purpose, don't you? A mid-October meet-up, which is also mid-hell-semester for my beloved. She's taking 17 credits, including two sciences, and you want us to find a weekend to come play with the other kids in the Playground?!? You're officially teasing me, and...and...I HATE YOU! :smallfrown:

*runs off toward home, crying*

(Kidding...Would love to come, but Neko-chan couldn't possibly spare the time.)

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-11, 09:14 AM
ok... looks like i won't be there for those dates, :smallfrown:
however i should be there... mid-late sept. :smallsmile:You just make sure you let us know when you're in town. It'd be a cryin' shame for you to be this close and us not get to hang out with you for at least an evening. :smallcool:

You people do these things on purpose, don't you? A mid-October meet-up, which is also mid-hell-semester for my beloved. She's taking 17 credits, including two sciences, and you want us to find a weekend to come play with the other kids in the Playground?!? You're officially teasing me, and...and...I HATE YOU! :smallfrown:

*runs off toward home, crying*

(Kidding...Would love to come, but Neko-chan couldn't possibly spare the time.)Aww, man. That's too bad. We planned it for this weekend because it falls on a fall break for a lot of the school bound folks. I certainly understand the stress of taking 17 credits in one semester, having done it, but I would never do it again. Eventually, though, you're going to run out of excuses. :smallwink:

mangosta71
2011-07-11, 10:08 AM
That's no excuse. I took 17+ credits, with 2-4 science courses, every semester except my last (because by then I'd run out of courses to take). There's plenty of time there to goof off for a weekend, and a meetup is covered under the "good cause" clause.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-11, 10:39 AM
Mango, not everyone is a crazy information-devouring brain like you.

Neko-chan
2011-07-11, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I am with Mango but it may not be possible because we would have to see what my schedule for class/homework/study time/work is like (as Bor has been yelling from beside me >.>). Also there is the pesky thing of finances too. So, this is something Bor and I will be discussing up till the last possible minute (for me to request time off from work that is) with me bugging him the entire time to give in and go regardless of school work. =)

Also, Zeb, good call on the weekend as I too have no classes from the 14th to the 16th. But once again, a free weekend to catch up on any studying I may need. So, it will definitely be discussed thoroughly. Either way, I want lots of pictures taken!

It's off to class now, so be well all.

Krade
2011-07-11, 03:39 PM
Turns out my friend might not be living in New York by October. We'll see how this developes...

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-11, 06:39 PM
Yeah, I am with Mango but it may not be possible because we would have to see what my schedule for class/homework/study time/work is like (as Bor has been yelling from beside me >.>). Also there is the pesky thing of finances too. So, this is something Bor and I will be discussing up till the last possible minute (for me to request time off from work that is) with me bugging him the entire time to give in and go regardless of school work. =)

Also, Zeb, good call on the weekend as I too have no classes from the 14th to the 16th. But once again, a free weekend to catch up on any studying I may need. So, it will definitely be discussed thoroughly. Either way, I want lots of pictures taken!

It's off to class now, so be well all.Yaaay!

Turns out my friend might not be living in New York by October. We'll see how this developes...Noooo!

Kyrian
2011-07-11, 08:27 PM
I brought the idea of going to this meetup to my fiancee....

She gave me the evil eye.

So I guess I shall be getting married the 15th then, and not seeing you alls

Krade
2011-07-11, 09:42 PM
Noooo!

Now, now, Zeb. I didn't mean that this meant it was unlikely for me to attend. It just has a good chance of complicating things. I asked him on facebook where he was moving to, but he hasn't responded yet.

druid91
2011-07-11, 09:52 PM
Amusingly enough I live nearby to both baltimore/DC. (Note, I am trusting you playgrounders to not hunt me down and assassinate me because I gave a slight hint as to my location. OR to put it shortly, I broke my rule #2 of the internet.)

I might be able to come. Very tenous might. Like single strand of horse hair holding a sword over my chances might.

It really all depends on my future college schedule, the possibility of jury duty, and the assumption that my attempt to finally gain a drivers license is succesful this summer.

That and obtaining regular work to pay for repair parts and fuel the car I have.

Yeah... The chances of me coming are low.:smallfrown:

The Valiant Turtle
2011-07-12, 08:44 AM
I've got no idea what the chances of me attending are but I'm certainly interested. With my luck this will end up being the time we try to visit JC and you'll steal all the JC people.

ric0
2011-07-14, 10:36 PM
hey all, i might be interested in coming along if you would all have me, need to see the cost of flights and such, though time off is no issue, as my work is pretty flexible :)

would love to meet you all, been catching up on the forums and this is one of the most helpful mature places iv ever found!

and ofc it has D&D!

Krade
2011-07-15, 12:28 AM
hey all, i might be interested in coming along if you would all have me, need to see the cost of flights and such, though time off is no issue, as my work is pretty flexible :) Of course! This is quite the non-exclusionary group that we've got here:smallwink:.

would love to meet you all, been catching up on the forums and this is one of the most helpful mature places iv ever found!

That would probably be because this is THE most mature and awesome (don't forget awesome) place on the internet. So long long as you're capable of ignoring a few things, anyway:smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-15, 08:28 AM
I need to remember to actually wear my mauve shirt this time.

Philistine
2011-07-15, 09:39 AM
Yes!

In other news, vacation time has been approved. So I should be there unless I get hit by a bus again.

Gryffon
2011-07-15, 09:47 AM
Yes!

In other news, vacation time has been approved. So I should be there unless I get hit by a bus again.

You've been hit by a bus previously?

mangosta71
2011-07-15, 09:50 AM
You've been hit by a bus previously?
Only once. And we weren't even hurt.

Gryffon
2011-07-15, 09:56 AM

Fair enough.

On a different note. It is more likely that we will be able to make it to this meetup.

Philistine
2011-07-15, 12:45 PM
It utterly demolished the car we were in, though. (No, I wasn't driving. :smalltongue: And no, Mango wasn't driving either.)

Krade
2011-07-15, 06:36 PM
It utterly demolished the car we were in, though. (No, I wasn't driving. :smalltongue: And no, Mango wasn't driving either.)

No, Mango was driving the BUS:smallamused:

Diva De
2011-07-17, 09:41 AM
I WISH IT WAS THEN ALREADY!

No, wait, I have DragonCon first. Also, I couldn't afford it yet if it was now.

I WISH I WOULD WIN THE LOTTERY BEFORE THEN AND HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO GET THE PESKY LEGAL PAPERWORK MUMBO JUMBO DONE BY THEN!

Also, my friend Martha might be able to come. It would be helpful, I think, if a certain pirate invited her and urged her to come along. Just sayin'.

ric0
2011-07-17, 10:14 AM
ok, as posted i would love to come to this, but as im new to the states, would someone be able to give me a ball park figuer as to the cost of a couple of nights in a hotel around the area please?

Sholos
2011-07-17, 10:41 AM
I'd love to meet up with people, as the Maryland Renn Faire is one of my favorites. Sadly, I have no real way of getting there. I need a car. :smallfrown:

Krade
2011-07-17, 06:26 PM
So... if Phil and Mango are definitely going...

I just checked Google and apparently swinging by to pick me up will only increase your travel time by 2 hourshttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

This is, of course only if my friend moves away from New York before then, because if he doesn't, I'll just do the bus thing.

smellie_hippie
2011-07-17, 09:51 PM
Also, my friend Martha might be able to come. It would be helpful, I think, if a certain pirate invited her and urged her to come along. Just sayin'.

Tell Martha to get her blonde butt in the car and hang out with all the cool kids! We missed her last month and it would be awesome to see her and you guys again so soon... :smalltongue:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-18, 01:31 AM

I just checked Google and apparently swinging by to pick me up will only increase your travel time by 2 hourshttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

This is, of course only if my friend moves away from New York before then, because if he doesn't, I'll just do the bus thing.

Not that I'm the final word on it, buuuuuut-
You'd get stuck with Rabbit duties.

Krade
2011-07-18, 01:50 AM
Not that I'm the final word on it, buuuuuut-
You'd get stuck with Rabbit duties.

Finally! A chance to use my degree!:smallcool:

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-18, 02:20 AM
Regarding places to stay, it's looking like the mainstream chains are going to want between $75 and $110 per night to stay. We'll narrow that down as it gets a little closer. Also, we may have found a place that's a) very very near our place and b) ~$40 per night. We have not been inside this place to see what the capacity is or if it's nice enough to recommend to friends or not. We intend to rectify this very soon and will keep people posted so that if it's acceptable, people can make reservations early and make sure they get one of the 11 rooms.

@Martha - You will regret not showing up and you know it!

Also, list updated as soon as I post this. If I have missed you or have you on the wrong list, PM me or yell at me in this thread. :smallcool:

Philistine
2011-07-18, 05:56 AM

That might work, though it's not the route I had in mind. We'd need to crash at your place for a few hours each direction.

Diva De
2011-07-18, 01:21 PM
So Martha is putting in for her time off TODAY, and we talked last night. The possibility of renting busty wench outfits was discussed. Mwaaahaaaahaaaa!

Careful, gents, as the tatas are too mighty for mere mortals to gave upon and not be blinded/seized with passion/irresistably drawn to motorboat them. :smallamused:

Zherog
2011-07-18, 02:03 PM
So Martha is putting in for her time off TODAY, and we talked last night. The possibility of renting busty wench outfits was discussed. Mwaaahaaaahaaaa!

Careful, gents, as the tatas are too mighty for mere mortals to gave upon and not be blinded/seized with passion/irresistably drawn to motorboat them. :smallamused:

Is that an invitation to perform said motorboating? :smallamused:

Gryffon
2011-07-18, 02:20 PM

Only for approved personnel :smalltongue:

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-07-18, 02:34 PM
Zeb, you are so cruel. I live 20 minutes outside of DC, I've been hoping for someone to arrange a Metro-area meetup for a while now...and you just had to go and schedule one after I head back to college, several states and a 7-8 hour drive away, when moving it one weekend later or sooner would mean I'd be at home and able to attend. :smallsigh: Grr. Oh well, maybe next year...there will be one next year, riiight?

Zherog
2011-07-18, 02:36 PM
Only for approved personnel :smalltongue:

* makes mental note to forge name on approved personnel list * :smallyuk:

Philistine
2011-07-18, 03:25 PM
Zeb, you are so cruel. I live 20 minutes outside of DC, I've been hoping for someone to arrange a Metro-area meetup for a while now...and you just had to go and schedule one after I head back to college, several states and a 7-8 hour drive away, when moving it one weekend later or sooner would mean I'd be at home and able to attend. :smallsigh: Grr. Oh well, maybe next year...there will be one next year, riiight?
Seven to eight hours? Dude. Some of us can only dream* of being that close. :smallwink:

* And plot, and scheme, and job hunt WAY to the east of where we currently live.

EDIT: You know... You just might be on somebody's way, or at least close enough to it for a pickup to be arranged. A thought.

PairO'Dice Lost
2011-07-18, 03:47 PM
Seven to eight hours? Dude. Some of us can only dream* of being that close. :smallwink:

* And plot, and scheme, and job hunt WAY to the east of where we currently live.

I know, I know, it's just the fact that I'd be only half an hour away if it were during the summer or another weekend that makes it so tragic.

EDIT: You know... You just might be on somebody's way, or at least close enough to it for a pickup to be arranged. A thought.

A thought indeed. So...is there anyone in the upstate New York area who'll be going to the meetup?

Sholos
2011-07-19, 02:43 AM
A thought indeed. So...is there anyone in the upstate New York area who'll be going to the meetup?

On that note, anyone going through central Virginia?

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-19, 10:54 AM

You'd have to pry me off, first.

Zherog
2011-07-19, 11:10 AM

Assuming we can't share, I'm not opposed to this contest taking place... :smallamused:

Diva De
2011-07-19, 09:05 PM

Maaaaaaaybe. :smallwink:

Ladies, gentlemen - there is plenty for everyone. No need to fight. Line forms to the left. :smallamused:

Helgraf
2011-07-21, 11:08 PM
Maaaaaaaybe. :smallwink:

Ladies, gentlemen - there is plenty for everyone. No need to fight. Line forms to the left. :smallamused:

Hmmm. >> ... << ... *sidles into the front of the line*

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-23, 09:27 AM
Why are people motorboating De's boobs? I'm confused. I'm so confused I will use the confused smiley. :smallconfused: <= That is how confused I am.

Zherog
2011-07-23, 11:00 AM
The better question is why wouldn't we?

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-23, 11:23 PM
Okay folks. We have confirmed the existence of a VERY nearby motel with rooms at $40 per night. However, the proprietor has assured us (much to our surprise) that he usually only has 1 or 2 rooms available (on very rare occasion 3).

Aside from that, there are hotels/motels that require only one turn for directions to our place, going for $110 and up per night, and there are rooms near the airport (a mere 5 miles or so) that are going for $80 and up. As we are locals, we haven't frequented any of them except the LaQuinta (probably the furthest away that we'd actually recommend) so we can't really give much in the way of a review like Hippie does for Johnson City. If people want to try to conglomerate in one place (always a good idea) let us know which place and we'll see if we can talk to someone about getting a group rate or something.

*gets in motorboat line behind Alarra*

Philistine
2011-07-24, 12:06 AM
Okay folks. We have confirmed the existence of a VERY nearby motel with rooms at $40 per night. However, the proprietor has assured us (much to our surprise) that he usually only has 1 or 2 rooms available (on very rare occasion 3).
Even with reservations >2 months in advance? Is it a residential hotel?

Aside from that, there are hotels/motels that require only one turn for directions to our place, going for $110 and up per night, and there are rooms near the airport (a mere 5 miles or so) that are going for $80 and up. As we are locals, we haven't frequented any of them except the LaQuinta (probably the furthest away that we'd actually recommend) so we can't really give much in the way of a review like Hippie does for Johnson City. If people want to try to conglomerate in one place (always a good idea) let us know which place and we'll see if we can talk to someone about getting a group rate or something.
I favor a "near the airport" option, then. I wouldn't expect to make that many back and forth trips between the hotel and Home Base, and the price difference is large enough to justify driving a few extra minutes IMHO.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-24, 12:10 AM
Even with reservations >2 months in advance? Is it a residential hotel?That is my suspicion, yes.

I favor a "near the airport" option, then. I wouldn't expect to make that many back and forth trips between the hotel and Home Base, and the price difference is large enough to justify driving a few extra minutes IMHO.I expect many to agree with you. Give me a bit and I'll try to come up with some links for people to peruse.

2011-07-24, 07:32 AM
Out of curiosity, for someone who hasn't been to one of your shindigs before, which airport are you referring to. I mean there are three of them in the area.

Alarra
2011-07-24, 07:45 AM
BWI, sorry for not making that clear. :smallsmile:

Zherog
2011-07-24, 08:03 AM
So it occurs to me that soccer is may keep me from attending. I'll have my schedules* in mid to late August. But even then, that won't tell the whole story because the league often enters tournaments after the season ends.

So, unless the schedules work out surprisingly well, I think my chances of being able to attend have dropped significantly. I is sad that I won't be able to participate in motorboating and other fun activities...

* I coach two teams, one for each of my kids. That's probably right around the time of playoffs.

2011-07-24, 01:48 PM
BWI, sorry for not making that clear. :smallsmile:

Shucks, I was hoping it was Reagan. That way I wouldn't have had to drive.

ric0
2011-07-24, 02:42 PM
looking at flights now, about $360 return

so i guess about $700-1000 for the full trip, seems doable right now, so barring changes ill book the flights in the next 4 weeks :)

oh you can change me to a definite now btw!

Diva De
2011-07-24, 03:11 PM
While I WANT to jump at the super-cheap rooms, I would rather stay where everyone else is. Gryf agrees. So..we will wait on a consensus before reserving. Because there's just something fun about not knowing who is gonna knock on your door - or at what time. :smallsmile:

ric0
2011-07-24, 03:18 PM
sounds good to me as well, so i will grab the flights and wait on accommodations

Krade
2011-07-24, 07:01 PM
While I WANT to jump at the super-cheap rooms, I would rather stay where everyone else is. Gryf agrees. So..we will wait on a consensus before reserving. Because there's just something fun about not knowing who is gonna knock on your door - or at what time. :smallsmile:*makes note to knock on De's door at 7:19 in the morning*

Archonic Energy
2011-07-25, 04:37 AM
*makes note to knock on De's door at 7:19 in the morning*

dude. 03:33 is the real time to bang on peoples doors...
or set off fireworks...
*innocent face*

smellie_hippie
2011-07-25, 06:18 AM
dude. 03:33 is the real time to bang on peoples doors...
or set off fireworks...
*innocent face*

*wipes off innocent face with a belt sander*

3:33 am is quite possibly still part of the waking hours from the night before. The 7:19 time is almost a certainty to wake someone quite unexpectedly...

Gitman00
2011-07-25, 07:26 AM
Count me as a tentative for now. Further confirmation will be forthcoming...

smellie_hippie
2011-07-25, 07:28 AM

really? :smalleek:

Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Gitman00
2011-07-25, 07:32 AM
really? :smalleek:

Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Yep, should be back Stateside by then. I'll wear my kilt to the Ren Fest too. :smallbiggrin:

Philistine
2011-07-25, 08:21 AM
*wipes off innocent face with a belt sander*

3:33 am is quite possibly still part of the waking hours from the night before. The 7:19 time is almost a certainty to wake someone quite unexpectedly...
3:30 and 7:20 are nearly four hours apart - that's plenty of time to get in a full night's sleep and be up and around again!

Helgraf
2011-07-25, 04:29 PM
3:30 and 7:20 are nearly four hours apart - that's plenty of time to get in a full night's sleep and be up and around again!

I approve of this message.

Kyrian
2011-07-25, 05:48 PM
I approve of this message.

I second said approval. :smallbiggrin:

Krade
2011-07-25, 10:41 PM
It was honestly the most random sounding time I could think of in the few seconds I was trying to think of something.

mangosta71
2011-07-25, 11:22 PM
Yes, but now she'll be expecting it. The surprise is ruined.

Also, a certain individual that several of us have met has expressed an interest in spending a little time at the Smithsonian. If such an excursion strikes the fancy of any others, perhaps we could plan to organize said expedition. I'm still trying to convince this person to create an account and chime in instead of making me pass the word to everyone... Perhaps if a certain busty wench were to provide further encouragement, my efforts would go better.

Alarra
2011-07-26, 12:04 AM
Which Smithsonian? There are 19. :smallwink:

Depending on when people are coming and leaving, we could certainly do some touristy DC stuff Friday or Sunday. Saturday wouldn't be an option because renfest is an all-day affair, as is going to the smithsonians/mall, etc.

What we usually do when we take people in to DC is drive down to a metro station (30 minutes away) and then take the train to the mall (45 minutes or so). We usually do a monument walk, which is about an hour and a half to two hour and takes in the capitol building, washington monument, lincoln, korea, wwII, navy and vietnam memorials and the white house. So that would be an option too, if people are interested in that.

All the monuments are in the same place as most of the smithsonians, so we could easily do both. Though the coolest Smithsonian (in my opinion) is way out by dullas airport and totally inconvenient to anything else, and an almost 2 hour drive away. :smallfrown:

Philistine
2011-07-26, 12:40 AM
Would that be Udvar-Hazy, by chance?

EDIT: I'd be up for the "DC Tourist" trip to the National Mall. Probably Sunday morning-ish; I don't know what time we'll get there Friday.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-26, 02:46 AM
Yes, that'd be Udvar-Hazy (pronounced ood'-vahr hah'-zee, for those who don't know). It's amazing. It costs $12 to park, but entrance is free.

For those who aren't familiar with it, this is an annex of the National Air and Space museum and it is enormous. It's big enough that they have an SR-71 Blackbird, the Enola Gay, AND a space shuttle inside, along with dozens of other famous and infamous aircraft.

Also, how long it takes to do the walk Alarra mentioned is directly proportional to the number of people going. Nothing at all wrong with larger groups, but more people tend to be harder to herd. Doing it on a Sunday morning it totally doable, though.

EDIT: If anyone is planning on flying in, BWI is the airport of choice. It's very close to us and it's typically the cheapest airport in the area. And, of course, let us know when you're expecting to arrive so that we can make arrangements to come get you. :smallcool:

pendell
2011-07-27, 12:08 PM
God willing, I'll be there. Tell me again EXACTLY when and where.

Zeb, you can PM me your cell phone number if you wish. You know I work in Rockville and live in Vienna.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Diva De
2011-07-27, 08:39 PM
Count us in for a tour of DC. I went once...on Fourth of July...and it was too crowded to go anywhere. While I am more interested in museums than monuments, I will do what everyone else is doing. I's a sheep. *baaaaa*

Philistine
2011-07-27, 09:30 PM
I'm right with you on museums > monuments, De - NASM has been at the top of my "if I ever visit DC..." list ever since I was a kid. But remember, any excursion into DC will have to be squeezed into half of one day, whether that's after arrival on Friday or before departure on Sunday. So I think that particular tour is going to have to wait until another, longer trip.

mangosta71
2011-07-27, 11:47 PM
Or we could take another day off work on either end to do the tourist thing. Or both ends.

Philistine
2011-07-28, 12:04 AM
I might be able to take off another day or two, but then again I might not - October is early fourth quarter, but it's still fourth quarter. If I could, that would also mean any prospective passengers would have to take the extra time off, too.

@V: Yeah, that's what I figured.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-28, 01:53 AM
I'm in the process of searching for a new job, so, I'm not really all that sure I could take too much time off....

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-28, 02:16 AM
For those interested in the memorial walk we described, I just learned that the new Martin Luther King, Jr Memorial is set to be dedicated on Aug 28th and it's location is just off of the path we usually take, and so could easily be included in the walk and would be something that we've not seen either.

For those interested in the museums, as Alarra mentioned there are probably a dozen Smithsonian museums adjacent to the National Mall and each one could easily be a whole day visiting. Some examples: the Air and Space Museum, the American History Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Smithsonian Castle, and half a dozen art galleries and botanical/sculpture gardens. Also nearby is the National Archives, The National Portrait Gallery, and Ford's Theatre.

It is also possible that we could all head down to a common start location, go our separate ways, and agree to meet back together at a predetermined time.

smellie_hippie
2011-07-28, 05:57 AM
Welcome to the struggle that is 'trying to plan a meet-up'. It's a bit thorny. :smallamused:

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-28, 10:53 AM
:smallcool:

Well, last time we did this, it was an overwhelming "Nah, we'd rather not waste meetup time getting to and from 'Traffic Hell' if it's all the same to everyone".

Hmmm, I suppose we need to figure out when we're going to fit in the Kubb game to make it an Official Meetup TM too.

mangosta71
2011-07-28, 12:02 PM
Saturday night after the RenFest.

Krade
2011-07-28, 02:20 PM

Sounds reasonable to me... wait... Did I just say something Mango said was reasonable?

*dies*

Zherog
2011-07-28, 02:29 PM
Did I just say something Mango said was reasonable?

Actually, no. You said it sounds reasonable; that doesn't mean it is. ;)

Diva De
2011-07-28, 05:17 PM
Sounds reasonable to me... wait... Did I just say something Mango said was reasonable?

*dies*

:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

I am all for taking an extra day off, if Gryf is. My job can live without me. And considering I will have had a whopping 4 days off THIS MONTH, I kinda think they owe me. Not like they are paying me for it. Sheesh.

Zeb The Troll
2011-07-28, 05:38 PM

In fact, I think this is the only reasonable time to do it. :smallcool:

Alarra
2011-07-28, 09:27 PM
Well, I have Fridays and Mondays off so I'm good to hang out with anyone that stays late or comes early as long as they would like.

Helgraf
2011-07-28, 11:20 PM
Damn. I so want to go .. but it'll be absolute murder on my finances. Hmmm.
Perhaps when it's closer to October I'll have a better picture of feasability.

Gryffon
2011-07-29, 08:03 AM
:smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

I am all for taking an extra day off, if Gryf is. My job can live without me. And considering I will have had a whopping 4 days off THIS MONTH, I kinda think they owe me. Not like they are paying me for it. Sheesh.

I thought our intention already including arriving Thursday night to get settled in?

Diva De
2011-07-30, 07:55 AM
I thought our intention already including arriving Thursday night to get settled in?

Sweet. Then maybe we can do our own mini-tour of the things I we want to do in DC on Friday, that don't coincide with the group thing for Sunday. Sounds like we will have to make a plan as we approach October.

Kyrian
2011-07-30, 12:02 PM
If this becomes a yearly thing, I'll try to start saving money for next year.

Krade
2011-07-30, 02:40 PM
If this becomes a yearly thing, I'll try to start saving money for next year.

The one in Johnson City IS a yearly thing. Why not try for that one too?

Alarra
2011-07-30, 03:17 PM
We wanted this to be yearly, but now we're moving. So, if it is, someone else will have to host it.

Kyrian
2011-07-30, 09:09 PM
We wanted this to be yearly, but now we're moving. So, if it is, someone else will have to host it.

you're killing me! =P

/dramatic

The one in Johnson City IS a yearly thing. Why not try for that one too?

Working on it.

Krade
2011-08-02, 09:30 PM
So... my friend in New York is moving back to Key West. And as much as I would like to go down there for another visit, I don't think I could swing such a trip a second time this year. Next Spring looks pretty likely for that.

So that means there'll be nothing at all to endanger (or complicate, for that matter:smallwink:) my plans to attend!

Galathir
2011-08-04, 09:13 PM
I would like to express some interest in attending but it will depend a bit on whether I can schedule some time off work.

Mephibosheth
2011-08-05, 06:27 PM
Hello everyone. So, I don't hang out on friendly banter very often and I'm from Wisconsin, so I wouldn't normally have been interested in this thread. However, I just happened to have cruised over to FB and noticed this thread at the same time as I found out I was moving to the Baltimore area. I just got here last Friday, actually. So, hi!

I don't know whether I'll be able to make it to the meet-up or not, though if I can it will probably only be for Friday evening. I did, however, want to take the opportunity of assembled Baltimore-area Giantitp-ers to ask if anyone knows of any gaming groups, particularly in the Columbia area, that are looking for an extra person. If so, please let me know via PM so as to prevent further hijacking of the thread.

I sincerely apologize for shamelessly using this thread for something other than its intended purpose. If this is an inappropriate use of the thread, let me know and I'll delete the post. I now return you to your regularly scheduled planning (and plotting and possibly scheming).

rogueboy
2011-08-05, 09:31 PM
Put me in the interested category. I'd love to come, but I'm not sure I'll be able to take the time off. Grad school in chemistry means very limited weekends, and I'm already taking 3 off in early September. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread for plans and my schedule for that side of things. Worst case, it's one more thing that I wish I was able to do, but can't.

Diva De
2011-08-06, 08:16 AM
So excited! I was talking to a customer yesterday who is moving to DC to open a restaurant. And said I would be there, and was invited. It can't get here soon enough, but fortunately, I have Dragon*Con as a more or less halfway point to get me through.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-09, 05:27 AM
I've updated the first post. Let me know if I've got anyone on the wrong list. :smallcool:

Diva De
2011-08-13, 08:03 AM
Considering Ryan, Martha and I all have confirmed Thurs-Sun off, we will be there. :smallbiggrin:

RabbitHoleLost
2011-08-13, 08:15 AM
SO.
I put in for Thurs-Tues off. Since I'm selling my plasma for gas money, if I take the money I would normally spend on gas and put it into savings, I might be able to make this work.
Maybe.

Zherog
2011-08-14, 11:21 AM
My chances of attending have been confirmed to be in serious jeopardy. The soccer coach's meeting was this week, and while schedules aren't out yet, we will have games almost every weekend from early September through late October; and then there's playoffs. If I had one team, I might get lucky and have this weekend off. But with two teams, I very highly doubt I'll be available. I is a sad panda...

I'll keep an eye on the thread, just in case. And if the scheduling faerie somehow arranges for me to have no matches that weekend, I'll update.

SquirrelKing
2011-08-14, 09:52 PM
OK, this one I know I can attend! I mean...I live an hour away from Baltimore, and work there! :smallbiggrin: Plus, I practically live at the Ren Faire when it's in town (and used to work there years ago).

That said, even though I don't have a spare bedroom, I have plenty of couch space to accomodate 1 or 2 people if they want to stay over each night after the festivities. I can provide rides back and forth too, if needed. (Like I said, I make that drive every day, so it's no big worry.)

If anyone wants or needs to make use of my couches, especially if the "make or break" point is finances for hotel fees, let me know.

Come on October!

-SK

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-14, 11:00 PM
That's great, Squirrely! Since you're pretty local, feel free to chime in with any ideas or suggestions we may not be aware of/have checked into.

pendell
2011-08-15, 05:44 PM
Zeb,

I should be in the confirmed list on the first page. Thanks!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PS. You lousy bandit , you :). -- BDP.

Gryffon
2011-08-18, 10:13 AM
Have there been any reservations made, or decisions on where people want to stay? Would like to start budgeting this out, but waiting to see where the majority of people will be staying.

Ceika
2011-08-18, 05:47 PM
Tantolian and I are stuck out here, so we're not gonna be able to make it... maybe in 2014, when we might be back stateside. :smallfrown:

Lord Blace
2011-08-20, 02:57 PM
Getting the plane tickets/hotel room booked Friday after next! Things just went from official to SUPER official! :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-21, 01:20 AM
Crud. I keep meaning to link some places nearby to stay. I'll do it. I promise.

smellie_hippie
2011-08-21, 12:20 PM
Crud. I keep meaning to link some places nearby to stay. I'll do it. I promise.

Welcome to my world buddy...:smallamused:

Galathir
2011-08-21, 09:30 PM
Unfortunately for this year's meetup, a combination of work and family responsibilities will prevent me from attending. Maybe next year.

Gryffon
2011-08-22, 07:58 AM
Welcome to my world buddy...:smallamused:

At least we have a semi-official meetup hotel now.

In JC, I mean.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-22, 02:16 PM
I am cheating here...

This link (http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?encType=1&where1=413+Rogers+Ave%2c+Glen+Burnie%2c+MD+21060-6861&cp=39.167721~-76.618942&qpvt=hotels+near+%22413+Rogers+Ave%2c+Glen+Burnie% 2c+MD%22&FORM=MIRE#JnE9Y2F0LjEzMzQ0JTdlc3N0LjAlN2VwZy4xJmJi PTM5LjE3MTYxODI0MDk5ODclN2UtNzYuNjEwMzY0MjI4MTExMy U3ZTM5LjE2MzcwNzc0ODcxNjElN2UtNzYuNjI3MTk3NzcxODg4 Nw==) shows hotels and motels in order of proximity to our place.

1 - Colony Motel - is the cheapie one two blocks from our place that won't have rooms for everyone.

5 - LaQuinta - I've actually stayed at and was nice, though the reason we chose it was for the fact that they allow pets, not because of the pricing (which I still recall not being unreasonable).

2 & 4 - Days Inn and Hampton Inn - Both are very easy to get to our place, and I think Days has been recently revamped, but I've not experienced either one.

None of the others are remotely difficult to navigate, though. I just don't have any experience with any of them.

If *I* were booking for this, I think I'd go with the Days Inn. I think you can get rooms for $70-$80 per night and if you share with someone else coming, that's pretty affordable, as well as being close to amenities and easy to find your way to and fro.

Gryffon
2011-08-22, 02:52 PM
No Link =(

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-22, 02:53 PM
Yeah, fixed that. Sorry.

Gryffon
2011-08-22, 03:14 PM
I think my vote is going with the Days Inn as well.

wxdruid
2011-08-22, 03:15 PM
We will be unlikely to be there despite the lure of a RenFest. It would require catlover to miss at least 2 days of school or more and she's already missing two days in Sept for my Brother's wedding in MN. Her break from school is from 7-10 Oct, the weekend before this one.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-22, 06:20 PM
We will be unlikely to be there despite the lure of a RenFest. It would require catlover to miss at least 2 days of school or more and she's already missing two days in Sept for my Brother's wedding in MN. Her break from school is from 7-10 Oct, the weekend before this one.Aw, sad. Silly schools need to coordinate with each other so that everyone has RenFest weekend off.

Kuzimu
2011-08-23, 06:44 AM
Hey, is it too late to express interest in coming?

I'm also from the DC/Metro area, and I also would love to hit up the Ren Fest!

Thanks for setting this up, guys!

Mauve Shirt
2011-08-23, 08:33 AM
About 52 days to meetup time!

Philistine
2011-08-23, 08:56 AM
About 52 days to meetup time!

Are you... counting down?

Awesome.

Lord Blace
2011-08-23, 01:54 PM
Woot! Plane tickets/hotel booked before I thought they would be!
And, uh, if people change their mind about video games, I will actually have my ps3 with me, though mostly for when Mauve is at work and I'm at the hotel. So I can play Space Marine instead of twiddling my thumbs. :smallcool:

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-23, 03:06 PM
Hey, is it too late to express interest in coming?

I'm also from the DC/Metro area, and I also would love to hit up the Ren Fest!

Thanks for setting this up, guys!It is absolutely not too late. About a week before the scheduled date is when I'm going to cut off being able to buy discount tickets for people, but you can decide at the last minute to come to any of it if you'd like, just let us know so that we can look for you/welcome you when we see you. :smallcool:

SquirrelKing
2011-08-23, 08:26 PM
Well, to address your inquiry of other ideas for things to do in the area, Zeb, here's a few thoughts.

In addition to the MD ren faire, there's also the Pennsylvania Ren Faire that's going on at that same time, though it's much further away (about an hour and a half to two hour drive from Zeb's area)...and in my opinion, it's not as good as the MD one by far. BUT, they do allow weapons, unlike the MD one, so there's that I guess.

As for other things to do in the area, there's always the DC museums and other similar attractions downtown and the surrounding areas, like Georgetown. For the Games Workshop (Warhammer, etc) junkie, you could always go to their lead store in Glen Burnie still, I think?

In Baltimore, there's the inner harbor area which has a bunch of shopping, restaurants, and the aquarium. If anyone wants to go to the aquarium, though, make sure you order tickets ahead of time. Another good area for Baltimore is Fell's Point, which is awesome for a night of drunken revelry...many bars, little restaurants, and clubs.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-08-23, 09:44 PM
AQUARIUM? =O
Me gusta.

Lord Blace
2011-08-23, 09:50 PM
AQUARIUM? =O
Me gusta.

RABBS, are you thinking what I'm thinking? :smalltongue: Friends for Rasputin and Jables!?

Starwulf
2011-08-23, 11:02 PM
Sigh, if only I had the money. I've always wanted to go to a RenFair, unfortunately I have a buddies wedding in September that requires me driving down to Chi-town, and after that I'm tapped out till next year for extra cash. Never knew there was one that was up in Baltimore, hell that's only 2 hour drive.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-23, 11:44 PM
It's actually in Crownsville, near Annapolis, and, as events go, is reasonably cheap even at door prices. I think it's $17 to get in, but every single show is free once you're in, and so's the window shopping, which is awesome. I'm not 100% certain, but I think you can even bring a cooler of food and leave it in your car, then get a stamp to get back in when you go out to your car for lunch if you're really looking to save a few bucks by not eating Faire fare.

It's also open from late August until late October, so there's lots of opportunity to make the trek. I'm pretty sure I'll be doing it at least one other time this year since I have an old army buddy in town for a few weeks but he won't be in town for the meetup.

mangosta71
2011-08-24, 12:23 AM
If we're only going to be there for one day, it seems a shame to miss out on the experience of Ren Faire food.

Philistine
2011-08-24, 12:54 AM
We could conceivably arrive in town early enough to go to the aquarium on Friday, assuming their hours don't change in October.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-24, 01:20 AM
If we're only going to be there for one day, it seems a shame to miss out on the experience of Ren Faire food.If it's in the budget, I absolutely recommend it. There's so much different stuff and most of it is amazing. Plus lots of good beer. And there's mead. I don't know if it's the best mead in the world or not, but it's there and I like it, though Alarra's not a fan even though she wants to be, just 'cuz it's mead. It's made locally though (by that I mean "in Maryland" not "at the RenFest" :smallcool:).

Krade
2011-08-24, 11:07 AM
Phil & Mango: I'm trying to get things moving along so I have a bigger apartment (and thus a place for 2-3 people to crash for a bit), but I can't say for sure yet if it will happen in time. Right now I have a rather tiny apartment. I suppose if I don't get moved before hand, the floor might work with air matresses, but I don't have any. I also don't even have a couch and I sleep on my recliner.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2011-08-24, 12:27 PM
If we're only going to be there for one day, it seems a shame to miss out on the experience of Ren Faire food.

HAHAHAHAHA!! TURKEY LEG!

Yes, I'm still bitter about never being allowed one as a child.

2011-08-24, 12:40 PM
I also have a couch and an air mattress to lend if need be I suppose. Although I'm on the other side of the District from you guys, so that would be a bit of a haul. Since I may go to the meetup, but probably not the Ren faire, I'd be willing to play tour guide for those like me not going to the faire if there are any.

Diva De
2011-08-24, 04:53 PM
I think...our room is reserved. Also, Martha and her friend Sherri are also confirmed. They wanted to ride/room together since we are non-smokers.

Zeb The Troll
2011-08-25, 01:08 AM
I think...our room is reserved. Also, Martha and her friend Sherri are also confirmed. They wanted to ride/room together since we are non-smokers.Sherri? This name doesn't ring a bell so I'll assume we've not yet met. :smallcool:

Gryffon
2011-08-25, 10:07 AM
We have reservations at the Days Inn.

Just additional info, rooms are $74/night, except for the business class king, which is $79 a night.

Diva De
2011-08-25, 05:39 PM
Sherri? This name doesn't ring a bell so I'll assume we've not yet met. :smallcool:

Nope, we are acquaintances, her and I, so she wasn't at the wedding. She and Martha are able to hang out more since I'm an old fuddy-duddy now. :smalltongue:

Philistine
2011-08-25, 11:36 PM
Phil & Mango: I'm trying to get things moving along so I have a bigger apartment (and thus a place for 2-3 people to crash for a bit), but I can't say for sure yet if it will happen in time. Right now I have a rather tiny apartment. I suppose if I don't get moved before hand, the floor might work with air matresses, but I don't have any. I also don't even have a couch and I sleep on my recliner.

Hmm. Okay. In that case, we'll plan on driving straight through and arriving at the hotel... well, probably in the middle of the night Thursday.

So, I seem to recall there was some interest in touring museum(s) during the day Friday?

Diva De
2011-08-28, 08:00 AM
Hmm. Okay. In that case, we'll plan on driving straight through and arriving at the hotel... well, probably in the middle of the night Thursday.

So, I seem to recall there was some interest in touring museum(s) during the day Friday?

Yus, count me and Gryf in for that, likely Martha as well.

SquirrelKing
2011-08-28, 11:58 AM

Don't forget there's the DC National Zoo as well, which is free admittance. Well worth the trip :)

Philistine
2011-08-28, 03:02 PM
Don't forget there's the DC National Zoo as well, which is free admittance. Well worth the trip :)

Oh, God. Don't tell Rabbit about that. :smallwink:

@V: :smallsigh: Yes, dear.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-08-29, 01:35 AM
Oh, God. Don't tell Rabbit about that. :smallwink:

TOO LATE.
Mmmm, zoos <3

SquirrelKing
2011-08-29, 08:47 AM
Did I happen to mention they have pandas there? :smallbiggrin: I was there when they had the baby panda...way too cute for its own good.

My personal favorites, though, are the lemurs. They're quite possibly the coolest animals. Evar.

And if we're talking about a trip to either the aquarium in Baltimore or the Zoo in DC, I'm in. Just let me know when!

Philistine
2011-08-29, 09:54 AM
Either the aquarium or the zoo? From this alone it would be clear to me that you've never met Rabbit. :smallamused:
<3 Rabbit.
Anyway - I meant to mention this before, but I've booked a room at the Days Inn for Thursday night (or at least the wee small hours of Friday) through Sunday morning.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-08-29, 10:02 AM
My personal favorites, though, are the lemurs. They're quite possibly the coolest animals. Evar.

=O These are also my favorites!
I HAVE MADE A NEW BEST FRIEND.

Krade
2011-08-29, 10:49 AM
So... does anyone need a roommate for their room? I promise the only creepy thing I do is sleep with one eye open.

SquirrelKing
2011-08-29, 08:41 PM
=O These are also my favorites!
I HAVE MADE A NEW BEST FRIEND.

There are rumors circulating that I have a couple of lemur plushies. Absolutely unsubstantiated, of course! :smallamused:

So... does anyone need a roommate for their room? I promise the only creepy thing I do is sleep with one eye open.

As I offered earlier, even though I live about an hour away from Baltimore/DC, I have a couple of couches available for crashing.

Diva De
2011-09-05, 09:44 PM

And if we're talking about a trip to either the aquarium in Baltimore or the Zoo in DC, I'm in. Just let me know when!

I LOVE LEMURS TOO! Them and otters are right up there for me. Then tigers. Then giraffes.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-09-05, 09:48 PM
Unforeseen money issues.
Won't be able to make it :smallsigh::smallfrown:

Philistine
2011-09-05, 10:47 PM
Unforeseen money issues.
BOOOOOOOO! (http://youtu.be/74GdZs2Ilk4)

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-06, 12:18 AM
Unforeseen money issues.
Won't be able to make it :smallsigh::smallfrown:As Pickle would say...

"Oh no!"

:smallfrown:

smellie_hippie
2011-09-06, 07:32 AM
Unforeseen money issues.

Nooo! You could always sell a kidney... I would offer you one of mine, but I need it for processing alcohol...

Alarra
2011-09-06, 07:37 AM
Do we need to start a 'get rabbit to baltimore' donation drive?

Philistine
2011-09-06, 08:36 AM
If someone can persuade her to accept it, I'd be glad to contribute to such a thing.

Archonic Energy
2011-09-06, 08:40 AM
Nooo! You could always sell a kidney... I would offer you one of mine, but I need it for processing alcohol... Archie Stabbitied them

Fixed that for you Hippie. :smalltongue:

Gitman00
2011-09-06, 01:36 PM
So, uh...

The tentative can be upgraded to "probable."

Diva De
2011-09-06, 09:12 PM
However, it looks like Gryf and I may not be able to make it. :smallfrown:

Philistine
2011-09-06, 10:31 PM
WaitWHAT? :smalleek:

Mauve Shirt
2011-09-06, 10:58 PM
Noooo! :smalleek: and :smallfrown: at the sudden loss of participants!

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-07, 01:30 AM
So, uh...

The tentative can be upgraded to "probable."Huzzah!

However, it looks like Gryf and I may not be able to make it. :smallfrown:Luuuucy! You got some splainin' to do!

Gryffon
2011-09-07, 08:16 AM
Our budget has been very tight of late, and trying to get some breathing room into it. It's largely that we're not definite one way or the other at the moment.

Lord Blace
2011-09-07, 11:40 PM
Unforeseen money issues.

However, it looks like Gryf and I may not be able to make it. :smallfrown:

What. This is totally lame! I'll have to wait another year to see you guys again? IF I'll even be able to make it to next year's JC what with finally starting school and such... The universe is dumb. :smallfrown:

mangosta71
2011-09-08, 12:17 AM
The universe is dumb. :smallfrown:
We should destroy it.

Gryffon
2011-09-08, 08:07 AM
Just a note, we're still trying to make it. Just trying to be very sure of expenses, and whatnot, and make sure that we'll have enough for things like Halloween and Christmas afterwards.

Philistine
2011-09-08, 08:22 AM
We should destroy it.
But that's where I keep all my stuff!

Just a note, we're still trying to make it. Just trying to be very sure of expenses, and whatnot, and make sure that we'll have enough for things like Halloween and Christmas afterwards.
We are seriously going to have to have a telethon or something.

Diva De
2011-09-11, 09:21 AM
Well, we went and looked at Halloween stuff, and confirmed with my ex that I will be getting my decorations and stuff back. So THAT was helpful. Also, a very generous offer from our hosting family made us sigh with relief. Re-calculating today (at some point) to see if we can do this. :smallsmile:

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-12, 12:29 AM
*places trail of homebrew+ on the ground as enticement*

:smallcool:

+It's not as good as Hippie's, but it's still pretty good if I'm to believe those who've tried it so far.

Diva De
2011-09-13, 07:29 PM
Sadly, if we want to reserve our rooms for DragonCon next year and have a decent XMas, we cannot go. Much sadness is here at the Casa de Karetas.

mangosta71
2011-09-13, 10:54 PM
Obviously you should skip DragonCon and XMas.

Mauve Shirt
2011-09-14, 08:33 AM
Sadly, if we want to reserve our rooms for DragonCon next year and have a decent XMas, we cannot go. Much sadness is here at the Casa de Karetas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX0Ffh_FcPE&feature=youtu.be#t=02m04s

Krade
2011-09-24, 09:10 PM
Ok. We are three weeks from the meetup. I think now would be an important time too point out that it is possible (Though I don't know how likely) that I will NOT be able to make it. This is due to my department being woefully understaffed and someone else having put in for that EXACT same weekend before I did. I'm sure my manager will try to get us both the days off, but since he called it first, he has priority if only one of us can get it.

@ Mango and Phil: Due to a bit of a long story (that I won't bother putting into words here), I will have not only a somewhat larger place to stay, but also my old/current apartment for the entirety of October. So I'll definitely have ROOM to crash for a few hours, but I still don't have much in the way of furniture to crash ON for a few hours.

smellie_hippie
2011-09-29, 09:54 AM
Two weeks to go, and I am VERY excited!

Zeb beer, Kubb, Ren-faire... and seeing a small group of AWESOME people!

Not packed yet, but already considering what I might need to bring....

sadly, this list will not likely include beer since I don't have any ready to go :smallfrown:

Alarra
2011-09-29, 10:49 AM
That's okay, Zeb has quite a bit. :smallbiggrin:

smellie_hippie
2011-09-29, 10:54 AM
That's okay, Zeb has quite a bit. :smallbiggrin:

Yay!!

I will still try to bring some obscure specialty beers or something...

Gryffon
2011-09-29, 11:59 AM
It sucks not being able to come see you guys. However, it means JC will be all that much sweeter next year >.<

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-29, 07:13 PM
It's getting close enough to time that we should probably start to nail down a little bit what everyone wants to do while they're here.

I know there are some interested in being tourists while they're here, but we'll need to figure out who wants to do what and when. There had been talk about doing it Friday morning and/or Sunday morning. What are people's thoughts on this?

Also, Baltimore Beer Week (http://www.baltimorebeerweek.com) is coming to a close that weekend and there will be LOTS of beer related things to do in the area. Some are free, some are expensive, some are closer than others. All of it could be fun, especially if it's with you guys. Check out the link and see if there's anything anyone would be interested in doing and I'll provide input.

Now, this does not at all mean that we all have to be doing the same thing all the time. There's plenty to do and we'll be here to try to keep things coordinated.

With all this talk about planning, keep in mind that the one thing set in stone (for me and Alarra, anyway) is going to RenFest on Saturday. People who are at our place for the convoy down there may possibly be treated to a pancake breakfast if they're there in time and I know you're going to be.

Next, can we get some ETA's on when people are planning on arriving, for planning purposes? When are people planning on leaving?

I can't wait to see you all!

Mauve Shirt
2011-09-29, 08:56 PM
When are we starting Saturday? Blace and I will in all likelihood need a ride to Renfest. We've already got tickets.

Zeb The Troll
2011-09-29, 08:59 PM
When are we starting Saturday? Blace and I will in all likelihood need a ride to Renfest. We've already got tickets.The current plan is to leave our place around 8:30. Traffic can be a bear and parking can be a nightmare (though it admittedly wasn't the last time I went this year, but better safe than sorry). That means the pancakes will probably start coming off the griddle between 7:00 and 7:30.

Transport: Alarra and I may look into renting a van. If we did, would people be willing to help share the cost?

Krade
2011-09-29, 09:20 PM
So things are looking a little bleaker for my attendance than they were at my last post. Now, not only am I requesting off at the same time as someone else, another person has gotten himself fired, leaving our previously mentioned short staffedness in an even worse state. Worse is that I might not know if I can get the days off until less than a week before. UGH! Retail sucks:smallyuk:

Transport: Alarra and I may look into renting a van. If we did, would people be willing to help share the cost?

I would totally be willing to pitch in for that, yes.

Philistine
2011-09-29, 10:21 PM
It's getting close enough to time that we should probably start to nail down a little bit what everyone wants to do while they're here.

I know there are some interested in being tourists while they're here, but we'll need to figure out who wants to do what and when. There had been talk about doing it Friday morning and/or Sunday morning. What are people's thoughts on this?

Also, Baltimore Beer Week (http://www.baltimorebeerweek.com) is coming to a close that weekend and there will be LOTS of beer related things to do in the area. Some are free, some are expensive, some are closer than others. All of it could be fun, especially if it's with you guys. Check out the link and see if there's anything anyone would be interested in doing and I'll provide input.

Now, this does not at all mean that we all have to be doing the same thing all the time. There's plenty to do and we'll be here to try to keep things coordinated.

With all this talk about planning, keep in mind that the one thing set in stone (for me and Alarra, anyway) is going to RenFest on Saturday. People who are at our place for the convoy down there may possibly be treated to a pancake breakfast if they're there in time and I know you're going to be.

Next, can we get some ETA's on when people are planning on arriving, for planning purposes? When are people planning on leaving?

I can't wait to see you all!
I'm aiming to arrive Thursday afternoon/early evening and leave sometime Sunday. Hitting up the RenFest has been part of the plan since Day 1, but I'm flexible apart from that.

So things are looking a little bleaker for my attendance than they were at my last post. Now, not only am I requesting off at the same time as someone else, another person has gotten himself fired, leaving our previously mentioned short staffedness in an even worse state. Worse is that I might not know if I can get the days off until less than a week before. UGH! Retail sucks:smallyuk:

If it's just going to be me and Mango in the car, I might talk to him about flying instead. If we go that way (it'd be easier, but more than twice the cost), I'd be willing to rent the van and let the rest of you chip in. :smallcool: And even if not, that sounds like a worthy cause. Sure.

2011-09-30, 05:51 PM
I may end up having to work that weekend, I don't know yet. I'll be able to give a definite answer the week before sometime. I'm also more game to doing something in DC or VA too whatever that may be, as that's probably more doable for me in the end than a trip somewhere in MD.

mangosta71
2011-10-03, 12:19 PM
We should figure out what we're doing on Friday at some point. I believe that various museums, aquariums, and zoos have all been mentioned as possibilities. Perhaps we would benefit from a list of attractions along with the applicable entry fees?

Philistine
2011-10-03, 02:52 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I still like the idea of a Sunday Morning Mall Walk. Especially since it seems like our numbers will be in the easily-herdable range.

For Friday, though... Would people be up for just hanging out, maybe digging out some card and/or board games? Seems to me that a light day might be just the thing after the long drive the day before. And we'd always have the option of piling into the Party Van to go out cruising around various Beer Week festivities.

SquirrelKing
2011-10-03, 03:08 PM
I will not be able to attend the regular festivities for the meetup, sad to say. I will be having company in from out of town.

BUT, she and I plan to attend the ren faire on the 15th, so I'd love to meet up with whomever might be out there. She and I will be in our full garb! :smallbiggrin: Do you have a count of how many will be there at this time?

Alas, it seems I'll have to wait for another time to sample Zeb's amazing Zebbifying Brew, however. :smallfrown:

Alarra
2011-10-03, 04:27 PM
We're totally cool with whatever, so if people want to hang here, that's great too.

Okay...list of things that are options to do.
Beer Week stuff (http://www.baltimorebeerweek.com/) (various prices, mostly afternoon evening things)

DC stuff: Admission to these is free, but we will have to pay for metro tickets into town (~$3 each way)
Zoo (http://nationalzoo.si.edu/)
Smithsonian Museums (http://www.si.edu/Museums) (Air & Space, American History, Natural History, Archives, any number of art museums, several others)
Holocaust Museum (http://www.ushmm.org/)
Monuments

Cool museums that have an additional charge:
Spy Museum (http://www.spymuseum.org/): $18
Newseum (http://www.newseum.org/?gclid=CL7p_6S5zasCFap25QodTCVy6Q): $21.95
Of course there are loooooooots more museums and other stuff to do in DC, but it would take way too long to list it all.

Baltimore stuff:
Science Center (http://www.mdsci.org/): $14.95
National Aquarium (http://www.aqua.org/): $24.95 or $27.95 (if you want to see a dolphin show)
Inner Harbor (both of the above are at inner harbor, it's a cool place to go wander around in general, and there are several other smaller museums there, as well as lots of restaurants)

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-04, 02:37 AM
For Friday, though... Would people be up for just hanging out, maybe digging out some card and/or board games? Seems to me that a light day might be just the thing after the long drive the day before. And we'd always have the option of piling into the Party Van to go out cruising around various Beer Week festivities.I would definitely be cool with this. A little less hectic and a little more relaxed atmosphere to catch up with folks I haven't seen in a while and get to know people I haven't met before.

Phil - have you looked into a van yet? (I admit that I have not.) Have you guys decided if you're coming by car or plane yet?

Squirrely - we're looking at between 12 and 20 (including some local friends that we're inviting along), but I'll nail down better numbers next week when it's time to figure out how many discount tickets I need to acquire. We'll certainly arrange for some way for us to join up, probably at opening ceremonies?

Philistine
2011-10-04, 07:37 AM
So far, the plan is still to drive.

Also, a full-sized van (12 seats) looks like it's going to go for about $200/day when all is said and done, which is a bit more than I expected. Even divided 12 ways, $600 for the weekend may just be too high a price.

Tyndmyr
2011-10-04, 07:42 AM
I am almost certainly not going to know if I'll be able to make it until immediately beforehand(I might be moving then)...but the good news is, I'm local, so I don't need rides, and have access to all manner of discount ticketing myself, so I'll probably pop on the thursday or friday before to let ya'll know for sure.

Edit: Also, if I *can* make it, I can give a few people rides.

IsaacTheHungry
2011-10-06, 07:15 AM
Um... I might not be coming. I might have the chance to take a trip to Alaska :smallbiggrin: and I am taking it if I can. I will know by the 11th. If I am not going to Alaska I while be joining you all. I am a local with my own car so I can join up with you all last minute if the Alaska trip does not work out.

Krade
2011-10-06, 02:39 PM
Okay, after a... tumultuous day of not being sure, followed by thinking I couldn't, followed shortly after by "Oh, you're not leaving til Thursday? No problem." So FINALLY definitely coming.:smallbiggrin:

@Phil & Mango: What time, approximately, would you be getting here? I need to know so I might actually work beforehand.

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-06, 03:42 PM
Um... I might not be coming. I might have the chance to take a trip to Alaska :smallbiggrin: and I am taking it if I can. I will know by the 11th. If I am not going to Alaska I while be joining you all. I am a local with my own car so I can join up with you all last minute if the Alaska trip does not work out.Oh, that's a "boo" and a "yay". Alaska is one of those places I've been meaning to get to, so I don't blame you, but meeting new Playgrounders is one of my favorite things to do so... I won't pick up a RenFest ticket in advance for you, but you're definitely welcome to drop in any time if you're still in the area.

Okay, after a... tumultuous day of not being sure, followed by thinking I couldn't, followed shortly after by "Oh, you're not leaving til Thursday? No problem." So FINALLY definitely coming.:smallbiggrin:

@Phil & Mango: What time, approximately, would you be getting here? I need to know so I might actually work beforehand.Huzzah!

SquirrelKing
2011-10-06, 05:23 PM
Hey Zeb, I don't know how you're determining who to buy tickets for and who not to, but please don't buy any for me. My girlfriend and I will be buying our own. See you at the Faire!

PM me a contact number or something so we can set up a meet and greet at the faire. I'm not sure we'll be able to get there at opening ceremonies, so we'll figure something out. :smallsmile:

Philistine
2011-10-06, 10:06 PM

@Phil & Mango: What time, approximately, would you be getting here? I need to know so I might actually work beforehand.
All right! The plan takes shape!

If we leave here no earlier than noon Wednesday and don't push, we should be there around eleven-ish Wednesday night. That would let us hit the road early Thursday morning, which in turn gets us to the hotel in Baltimore in the Thursday afternoon/early evening range I was aiming for.

Krade
2011-10-07, 04:46 AM

If we leave here no earlier than noon Wednesday and don't push, we should be there around eleven-ish Wednesday night. That would let us hit the road early Thursday morning, which in turn gets us to the hotel in Baltimore in the Thursday afternoon/early evening range I was aiming for.

So then I can't work Thursday. I was, for some reason, working under the assumption that you would be getting here Thursday sometime. This may be... problematic. Also I don't actually have my new apartment yet thanks to some fun, incompetent secretary-related problems. I'm trying to get things moved along before the trip, but I also have to work everyday until then.

mangosta71
2011-10-07, 08:56 AM

Oh. You're taking Wednesday off as well, then. Okay. I should be able to arrange for that...

So then I can't work Thursday. I was, for some reason, working under the assumption that you would be getting here Thursday sometime. This may be... problematic. Also I don't actually have my new apartment yet thanks to some fun, incompetent secretary-related problems. I'm trying to get things moved along before the trip, but I also have to work everyday until then.
How far is it from Indy to Baltimore? And, if you had to work on Thursday, what time would you get off? Perhaps you could clarify that "leaving on Thursday" means "not available to work on Thursday" if the schedule isn't set yet?

Zeb The Troll
2011-10-07, 09:01 AM
How far is it from Indy to Baltimore?It is ~600 miles. Alarra and I routinely make the trip in about ten hours. Much of the route is 70mph speed limit and we get about 350 miles to a tank of gas. Adjust as needed for your driving style and fueling needs.

This reminds me, let me send you the route we take that is only a smidge longer time wise, but does not cost $30 one way in tolls. I'll get back to you on this...

Alarra
2011-10-07, 06:29 PM
Okay, just trying to sort out renfest tickets really quick here. Below is the list of people that we are planning to buy discount tickets for (looks like it'll be about a $5 discount) if your name is not on this list and you would like a ticket, please please please let us know by Tuesday. If we do not know by then, you will not get a ticket and will have to buy yours at the gate. Thanks!

Smellie Hippie & Mountain Faerie
Llama
Indurain & Katie
Archives Ninja & Cho
Belethorian & Greg
Phil
Mango
Krade

Krade
2011-10-07, 08:04 PM
How far is it from Indy to Baltimore? And, if you had to work on Thursday, what time would you get off? Perhaps you could clarify that "leaving on Thursday" means "not available to work on Thursday" if the schedule isn't set yet?

Nevermind, talked to my boss today, he said he can swing it. So no work on Thursday, just another PTO day used (which isn't a problem since I have to use them up by the end of the month).

Lord Blace
2011-10-08, 07:07 AM
WOO! I'm already in MD if there's anyone up here that wants to hang out during the weekdays beforehand! :smallcool:

mangosta71
2011-10-09, 04:31 PM
Any idea what time the dolphin shows are?

Alarra
2011-10-09, 05:04 PM
I've never been there, but if you jump through a bunch of hoops on their website, you can eventually find out that the shows are at 11:30, 1:30, 3:30 and 5:00, at least on Sunday. I'd have to check again for Friday, but I'm going to assume they're similar times.

mangosta71
2011-10-10, 02:56 PM
I have a friend in the area that wants to meet at the aquarium on Friday at 1. We'll also be attending the 3:30 dolphin show. And maybe she'll be open to coming over to hang out after or go to the Ren Faire on Saturday.

smellie_hippie
2011-10-11, 10:16 AM
Questions...

1. Everyone "dressing" for ren-faire?

2. Need to pack our Kubb set?

3. Anyone up for an EPIC game of Arkham or OOTS Adventure game, or try to keep boardgames on the lighter side?

4. Anyone feelings creative and stupid enough to develop drinking rules for Times Up? :smalltongue:

Gryffon
2011-10-11, 10:35 AM
Questions...

4. Anyone feelings creative and stupid enough to develop drinking rules for Times Up? :smalltongue:

*Incorrect guesses = 1 shot/drink (Saved up, and split between team members after their turn, extra goes to guesser, limited to 1 shot/drink per card on first round.)
*Saying a word you're not supposed to say(including rounds where talking is limited) = 1 shot/drink

*No correct guesses in a turn = 2 shots/drinks per team member(this is added to the number of incorrect guesses, if any)
*No incorrect guesses in a turn = 2 shots/drinks for everyone else not on the team

-------- Bonus shots/drinks ---------

*Becoming a hint aka "the one that X couldn't get"(this includes pointing to said person if it results in the correct answer) = 1 shot/drink every time someone uses you as the hint
*Guessing something that isn't on a card after round 1 = 1 shot/drink

*Vote on a best hint for each round(most likely the one that caused the most laughter, limited to one round of voting), All other teams take 1 shot/drink per member.

Philistine
2011-10-11, 10:54 AM
1) I wasn't planning on going in costume. I will, however, be clothed.

2) Bring on the Viking Chess!

3) I have yet to play this OotS game - I'd be up for it once just for the curiosity value.

4) Hmm, that depends. Can I do shots of Mountain Dew instead?

Tyndmyr
2011-10-11, 11:41 AM
Costuming may happen for me. This entirely depends on how motivated I feel, and how much costume stuffs I can dig out of my larp gear in relatively undamaged shape.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2011-10-11, 12:14 PM
Questions...

1. Everyone "dressing" for ren-faire?

2. Need to pack our Kubb set?

3. Anyone up for an EPIC game of Arkham or OOTS Adventure game, or try to keep boardgames on the lighter side?

1. I'll bring my dragon, does that count?
2. No idea.
3. Always
4. Filthy Drunkards! :smalltongue:

I'm all packed!! I'm excited.

mangosta71
2011-10-11, 01:39 PM
1) As awesome as it would have been, the Ezio costume was just too expensive to be feasible. I could do the pirate costume again, I guess...

2) Someone needs to have one there. I'm not picky as to whose set we use.

3) Having played neither of those games before, I could probably be convinced to give one or both a try.

4) Don't drink. I suspect that sobriety might give me a bit of an advantage.

Alarra
2011-10-11, 02:04 PM
1. Everyone "dressing" for ren-faire? Zeb and I will be. We'd prefer it if we weren't the only ones costumed, but we'll dress up even if we are.

2. Need to pack our Kubb set? Nope. We have ours. Unless you think your set is somehow superior? :smallconfused:

3. Anyone up for an EPIC game of Arkham or OOTS Adventure game, or try to keep boardgames on the lighter side? I could indeed be up for either of those. And we have at least two gaming areas, so we'll likely be split at times and not everyone has to do an epic game of anything.

4. Anyone feelings creative and stupid enough to develop drinking rules for Times Up? :smalltongue:Oh dear.

4) Don't drink. I suspect that sobriety might give me a bit of an advantage. You might be surprised.