PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Homebrew Necromancer

Arkon86
2011-07-03, 12:12 PM
I have a small group that is starting a Pathfinder game and one of the guys wants to try to play a necromancer. After looking at the options however, the necro/undead creation rules seem lacking.
Last night I through together an alternate cleric progression to make more of a pure necro type character.

I'm not sure how badly it breaks the game, my goal is to at least not make it stronger then a normal cleric.

Any input would be appreciated

__________________________________________________ _________________

Necromancer (Cleric Variance)
As Cleric except as follows
Hit dice = 1d6 per level
Spells:

To prepare or cast a spell, a cleric must have a Charisma
score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty
Class for a saving throw against a cleric’s spell is 10 + the
spell level + the cleric’s Charisma modifier
You may no longer cast any spells with the “light” or “good” keyword but gain access to all the sorcerer/wizard spells with the keyword “Necromancy” attached and may cast them as divine spells with no arcane spell failure.
Undead creation spells are treated as one spell level lower
i.e. Create Undead is treated as a 5th level spell, so the necromancer will only need to be level 9 to learn it.

Domains are limited to:
Death, evil, darkness, magic, trickery, war, destruction, chaos, glory, healing, repose, knowledge, charm, rune

Base attack bonus follows the wizard/Sorcerer progression

You lose the ability to channel positive energy even if your alignment would allow you to normally

You gain the following abilities at the listed level

Level
1 Feat: Spell focus (necromancy)

2 Feat: Skeleton Summoner: Gain cold resist 10

3 Feat: Control Undead: Gain +4 resist to Poison

4 Undead creation spells no longer require material components

5 When using the Skeleton Summoner feat to apply the skeleton template to a creature you summon, the spell only requires a standard action to complete

7 As a ritual that takes 8 hours to complete, you may create a single medium skeleton minion equal to your current hit dice. This minion may also apply you a level in either rogue or fighter class on every even number hit dice it possesses. This minion’s Charisma score = 14, Intelligence = 6, Constitution =0, use a 12 point buy to allocate to wisdom, dexterity, and strength (undead use Charisma to determine hit points instead of Constitution). At level 9 you may apply the bloody skeleton template to your minion, at level 15 you may also apply the skeletal Champion template to your minion. The skeletal minion gains a hit die and new class abilities each time you level.
This minion counts as your level x2 in hit dice when determining your total number of undead you may control.

8 Any Spell with a range of personal may also be cast on your undead minion

9 Undead created from Create Undead and Create Greater Undead are automatically under your control, however, you are able to release any undead from your control as a free action:
Gain +4 to fear effects

12 Gain immunity to cold
Creatures you summon using the Skeletal Summoner feat also have the Bloody Skeleton template attached

15 1/day Paralyzing touch- touch attack, 1d8+caster level and paralyze for 1d4+1 round (DC = 10 + ½ class level + cha mod)

17 1/day fear aura, creatures must succeed a will save (DC = 10 + ½ class level + cha mod) or be shaken for 1d4 rounds

20 You may apply the Lich template to yourself, as part of this ritual, the Phylactery is created and costs the caster nothing.

Pyromancer999
2011-07-03, 12:31 PM
This sounds very similar to the Dread Necromancer. Are you sure you just don't want a Pathfinder version of that?

DracoDei
2011-07-03, 12:51 PM
I know I am a bit of a broken record on this, but have you looked at my Organ Undead? (see extended signature, right at the top if you haven't).

Arkon86
2011-07-03, 01:24 PM
I'll take a look at your Organ Undead

Honestly, its been a loooong time since I looked at the Dread Necro. I may look at it and see if it is something we'd want to use.

When I wrote this I was going for a divine caster that lost his increased physical stats and gained a more permanent type of minion and gained some additional necro type spells by stealing the sorc/wiz necro keyed spells

Pyromancer999
2011-07-03, 02:43 PM
When I wrote this I was going for a divine caster that lost his increased physical stats and gained a more permanent type of minion and gained some additional necro type spells by stealing the sorc/wiz necro keyed spells

It grants you full-on access to its spell list, which is chock-full of necro-goodness. Also, as for the more permanent minion, I'd suggest looking at my Corpsecrafted Companion ACF (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194514)(although it may require a little tweaking). Also, you still get a boost to some aspects of combat, but aren't as powerful as a cleric.

Arkon86
2011-07-03, 04:43 PM
Well, if we do end up using this, does anyone think it will start breaking the game too badly?

Arkon86
2011-07-04, 11:44 AM
I made some changes and tried to focus the class a little better.

I also may suggest the Dread Necro as well

What do you guys think now?

Necromancer (Cleric Variance)
As Cleric except as follows
Hit dice = 1d6 per level
Spells:

To prepare or cast a spell, a cleric must have a Charisma
score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty
Class for a saving throw against a cleric’s spell is 10 + the
spell level + the cleric’s Charisma modifier
You may no longer cast any spells with the “light” or “good” keyword but gain access to all the sorcerer/wizard spells with the keyword “Necromancy” attached and may cast them as divine spells with no arcane spell failure.
Undead creation spells are treated as one spell level lower
i.e. Create Undead is treated as a 5th level spell, so the necromancer will only need to be level 9 to learn it.

Domains are limited to:
Death, evil, darkness, magic, trickery, war, destruction, chaos, glory, healing, repose, knowledge, charm, rune

Base attack bonus follows the wizard/Sorcerer progression

You lose the ability to channel positive energy even if your alignment would allow you to normally

You gain the following abilities at the listed level

Level
1 Feat: Spell focus (necromancy)
2 Feat: Skeleton Summoner:
3 Feat: Control Undead:
4 Undead creation spells no longer require material components
5 When using the Skeleton Summoner feat to apply the skeleton template to a creature you summon, the spell only requires a standard action to complete
7 As a ritual that takes 8 hours to complete, you may create a single medium skeleton minion equal to your current hit dice. This minion may also apply you a level in either rogue or fighter class on every even number hit dice it possesses. This minion’s Charisma score = 14, Intelligence = 6, Constitution =0, use a 12 point buy to allocate to wisdom, dexterity, and strength (undead use Charisma to determine hit points instead of Constitution). At level 9 you may apply the bloody skeleton template to your minion, at level 12 your minion gains channel resistance equal to half your level which stacks with resistance from applied templates, at level 15 you may also apply the skeletal Champion template to your minion. The skeletal minion gains a hit die and new class abilities each time you level.
This minion counts as your level x2 in hit dice when determining your total number of undead you may control.

8 Any Spell with a range of personal may also be cast on your undead minion

9 Undead created from Create Undead and Create Greater Undead are automatically under your control, however, intelligent undead receive a saving throw against your control each day after the first day of their creation.

12 Creatures you summon using the Skeletal Summoner feat also has the Bloody Skeleton template attached

17 You may use Create Greater Undead to apply the vampire template to a dead creature as long as that creature’s hit dice do not exceed your own

20 3/day you may use your channel energy ability as a free action
1/day you may use any version of Summon Monster as a swift action if you have applied the Skeleton Summoner feat to it