PDA

View Full Version : What system for Mass Effect style?

SilverLeaf167
2011-07-03, 01:11 PM
The thread asking for ideas for a Mass Effect campaign got me thinking: what system would be good for running a Mass Effect styled campaign? I don't want it to be exactly Mass Effect, as I like homebrewing a lot by myself, but what system can easily support sci-fi technology, alien races, robots (preferably of many kinds) and some kind of psionic-resemblant powers? It should be fairly realistic, as much as possible for a setting like this.

Sorcerer Blob
2011-07-03, 03:34 PM
When I think of this style of game-play, I think of the old d6 Star Wars. While "Star Wars" doesn't necessarily equate "Mass Effect" some of the d6 Space (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=d6+space&x=0&y=0&quicksearch=1&search_filter=&filters=&search_free=&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1) stuff (same system but without all of the Star Wars fluff) might just be what you are looking for. It has ships, robots, psionic-like powers, etc.

Yora
2011-07-03, 03:35 PM
I say Star Wars Saga: Create new races, rename the force powers, and... no, you're pretty much done at that point.

SilverLeaf167
2011-07-03, 04:05 PM
Hmm, I think I'll try Star Wars Saga if I ever do this. I'll look into the setting, thanks :smallsmile:

Yora
2011-07-03, 04:16 PM
I think it's no coincidence.

Mass Effect has been developed by the people who also did Knights of the Old Republic before, which were Star Wars d20 games. Mass Effect was their way of continuing such games without being bound to the Star Wars franchise.

The classes are not identical to the three base classes and three combinations found in Mass Effect, but the concepts are very similar. The Jedi class is very much combat focused unlike the psionic characters in ME. But I guess reducing Base Attack Bonus and Hit Dice fore more skills and a few additional force powers should do the trick.

NX_Phoenix
2011-07-03, 05:53 PM
If you treat aliens as different morphs and psionics as biotics I'd say go with Eclipse Phase. It's more realistic than the others suggested and therefore a bit more on the lethal side, but I often hear comparisons tech-wise between Mass Effect and Eclipse Phase--which I personally agree with if you exchange transhuman tech for FTL/mass effect fields.

Regarding the previously mentioned ones, I'd recommend d6 Space. It's a good system and has the unbeatable price of free from DriveThruRPG.com.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-03, 07:12 PM
There is a Mass Effect d6 conversion, and I think it works quite well; d6 is pretty much my favorite system for space-type games.

Since d6 Space is available for free, it's what I would go with.

Carduus
2011-07-03, 08:27 PM
I put in another vote for Star Wars Saga, if you don't want to do some serious modding. I would say FUDGE, as my space opera game had that for years, but it has some serious downsides, especially in the range of lack of unexpected rolls or crits. We had to abandon it whole-cloth for some homebrew action.

Urpriest
2011-07-03, 09:01 PM
The question is, though, do any of the proposed systems reproduce Mass Effect's social rules?

DeadManSleeping
2011-07-03, 09:04 PM
I put in another vote for Star Wars Saga, if you don't want to do some serious modding. I would say FUDGE, as my space opera game had that for years, but it has some serious downsides, especially in the range of lack of unexpected rolls or crits. We had to abandon it whole-cloth for some homebrew action.

On that note, Strands of Fate can work out well for sci-fi.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-03, 09:33 PM
The question is, though, do any of the proposed systems reproduce Mass Effect's social rules?

I don't consider a lack of those to be a big loss... they're fine for a CRPG, but aren't very robust for a TRPG.

MurphysLaw159
2011-07-03, 09:38 PM
You could always go with the good old catch all of GURPs if you can get your hands on a copy. Just make sure that your players understand that if they pick up Biotic powers that it is a BIG part of their lives and that if they don't then the chances of them getting some later are slim to none.

Alleran
2011-07-03, 09:42 PM
The Jedi class is very much combat focused unlike the psionic characters in ME. But I guess reducing Base Attack Bonus and Hit Dice fore more skills and a few additional force powers should do the trick.
The Vanguard class could function as a solid Jedi. The less combat-heavy ones (e.g. Adept) would probably be represented by Scout/Noble builds going into Force Adept/Disciple.

Upper left blue all the way?

Ramien
2011-07-04, 12:26 AM
If you can dig up a copy, I'd suggest Alternity. It's a little 'harder' sci-fi than Star Wars, and is pretty customizable from what I remember.

SilverLeaf167
2011-07-05, 05:02 AM
Ok, I'm pretty sure I'm using Star Wars Saga. However, lightsabers might be a little too iconic to the Star Wars series, and I'm not sure whether I want to include them in my homebrew setting. What could I do to the Jedi class (Force is fluffed as psionics) and perhaps the Jedi Knight prestige class to make up for the loss of lightsabers, if I choose to ban them?

Also, a general DM question: in space campaigns, how do you stop adventurous players from wanting to visit every single planet possible? Giving them a time limit, or not giving them their own ship, rather working on a ship owned by someone else?

Lapak
2011-07-05, 07:36 AM
Also, a general DM question: in space campaigns, how do you stop adventurous players from wanting to visit every single planet possible? Giving them a time limit, or not giving them their own ship, rather working on a ship owned by someone else?Making it clear that every planet is a planet is usually enough. Unless they are going somewhere in particular, where are they going? Just touching down at some random point on the surface and assuming that the surrounding area will be relevant to them?

To put it another way, if they show an inclination in this direction, just make it clear that this is like saying 'we want to visit every building and house until we find something interesting' when they walk into a new city.

SilverLeaf167
2011-07-05, 07:49 AM
Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable. I'll just make clear to them that if they want the game to work, they'll go where they're supposed to. Not in a too railroady way, of course, they can still choose what they want to do: just no exploring random planets for no reason.

Nachtritter
2011-07-05, 08:57 AM
Yeah, that sounds pretty reasonable. I'll just make clear to them that if they want the game to work, they'll go where they're supposed to. Not in a too railroady way, of course, they can still choose what they want to do: just no exploring random planets for no reason.

Why not? You could easily make it so that one out of every ten "random" planets has an otherwise unimportant little colony on it that either needs trade or has a minor problem on it, like the myriad villages in any D&D campaign. Let the characters explore if that's what they want - just make it clear that if they spend too much time away from the main quest, they'll lose ground to the BBEG.

LibraryOgre
2011-07-05, 01:58 PM
Also, a general DM question: in space campaigns, how do you stop adventurous players from wanting to visit every single planet possible? Giving them a time limit, or not giving them their own ship, rather working on a ship owned by someone else?

Yeah, I'd just go with the "Yes, it's a planet" sort of thing. If they want to do prospecting, like ME2, make it available, but occasionally put time limits in (e.g., in ME2, if you do too much after the crew is taken, then you lose most, if not all, of the crew).

GreyMantle
2011-07-05, 03:44 PM
If I had to write a ME hack, I think I'd build up from 4th edition shadowrun. You would obviously have to write up a lot of things yourself for spacecombat (or just use a different system altogether, I dunno), but SR4E is an incredibly solid and wellmade system that would do quite well at modeling the sort of shenanigans characters would get into in the ME universe.

Katana_Geldar
2011-07-05, 06:14 PM
I played a Mass Effect game at a con and the guy had adapted Gamma World and used Star Wars minis.

I haven't played Mass Effect itself due to hardware issues on my PC. :smallfrown:

balistafreak
2011-07-05, 06:58 PM

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the Playground.

SilverLeaf167
2011-07-05, 11:35 PM
Ok, I think I've pretty much gotten the story handled, but what about that lightsaber replacement I requested earlier?

Othniel Edden
2011-07-05, 11:44 PM
What about gauntlets that the biotic could use to increase how hard they hit? Unfortunately melee combat is something that Mass Effect mostly does with out, but I could see different hand to hand and melee weapon styles being adopted for some close quarters ship to ship combat.

Gralamin
2011-07-06, 12:49 AM
What about gauntlets that the biotic could use to increase how hard they hit? Unfortunately melee combat is something that Mass Effect mostly does with out, but I could see different hand to hand and melee weapon styles being adopted for some close quarters ship to ship combat.

Hand to hand combat? Sounds like you need to read up on Mass Effect 3 some :smallcool:.

I would recommend Saga if the heroes are supposed to be Spectre types. As noted, it's a good fit. If they are mooks, Shadowrun is probably a better fit.

Othniel Edden
2011-07-06, 12:52 AM
Hand to hand combat? Sounds like you need to read up on Mass Effect 3 some :smallcool:.

I would recommend Saga if the heroes are supposed to be Spectre types. As noted, it's a good fit. If they are mooks, Shadowrun is probably a better fit.

Just looking at the Wiki. Trying to stay unspoiled on ME3 as much as possible, to prevent gabbing.

Old_Nemrod
2011-07-06, 01:34 AM
Blades made from omni-tool shields? Can't cut like a lightsaber, but could still make melee worth it. Double if they are wearing any heavy armor since they come with some motorized joints.

GURPS and Shadowrun are the systems I'm trying to decide between.

SilverLeaf167
2011-07-06, 01:37 AM
Lightgloves ftw! :smallbiggrin:
Seriously though, gauntlets sound pretty cool, maybe they could have different abilities? For example, enhanced strike power, extreme heat, freezing, corrosion, electric shocks etc. How could I work that into the Saga system?

Othniel Edden
2011-07-06, 01:56 AM
EMP effects against geth and mechs are pretty nifty as well.

Old_Nemrod
2011-07-06, 08:34 PM
ME1 had cold attacks reduce enemy accuracy, heat did continuous damage over a couple rounds. Corrosion could weaken kinetic barriers, maybe lower AC for a couple turns? Electrical could do stun, limit the enemy to a single action per turn. As for the high damage strike, maybe double dice damage from it compared to a simple melee strike?

I've though about using Saga edition too. I'm just trying to figure a way to evolve the powers like the second one did. I'm thinking feats to upgrade the power and on the 4th feat make it evolve into one of two options. Thoughts?

Knaight
2011-07-06, 09:13 PM
I would say FUDGE, as my space opera game had that for years, but it has some serious downsides, especially in the range of lack of unexpected rolls or crits. We had to abandon it whole-cloth for some homebrew action.

Fudge is pretty easy to tweak for this, and a switch to 3dF, treat +/- 3 specially gets that alone. Add in the rules found in the A New Dimension To Gunfire article, borrow social mechanics from most anywhere, and make some basic system decisions and you are done.

stainboy
2011-07-06, 10:00 PM
Ok, I think I've pretty much gotten the story handled, but what about that lightsaber replacement I requested earlier?

Doesn't ME3 have some kind of nanite shank that extends from your omnitool?

Most of the melee in Mass Effect is just punching and headbutting, but it seems to be as effective as shooting things with guns. As far as I can tell it's completely canon that ME2 Shepard can beat armored krogan to death with his fists, not just story-mechanics dissociation. You might just give krogan and cyborgs a slam attack.

You could also make a biotic power that makes your unarmed strikes deal base 2d8 bludgeoning; it's not exactly canon, but it doesn't seem at all out of character for vanguards.

The tricky part is that Mass Effect melee mix up punches and shotgun/rifle attacks. Star Wars Saga keeps lightsabers as a niche weapon by making them worse than blasters unless you minmax Strength. I guess you could make a feat that lets you roll Strength to hit with long guns at point blank range.

chiasaur11
2011-07-07, 01:05 AM
Doesn't ME3 have some kind of nanite shank that extends from your omnitool?

Most of the melee in Mass Effect is just punching and headbutting, but it seems to be as effective as shooting things with guns. As far as I can tell it's completely canon that ME2 Shepard can beat armored krogan to death with his fists, not just story-mechanics dissociation. You might just give krogan and cyborgs a slam attack.

You could also make a biotic power that makes your unarmed strikes deal base 2d8 bludgeoning; it's not exactly canon, but it doesn't seem at all out of character for vanguards.

The tricky part is that Mass Effect melee mix up punches and shotgun/rifle attacks. Star Wars Saga keeps lightsabers as a niche weapon by making them worse than blasters unless you minmax Strength. I guess you could make a feat that lets you roll Strength to hit with long guns at point blank range.

True, Shepard can do it. But the thing to remember about Shepard?

She's a death cyborg in power armor. Tosses steel bars around like cardboard.

Anyone else would have a lot more trouble.

I mean, a typical human or Turian couldn't do that.

And a Salarian? Not gonna happen.

Shepard's the six million credit woman. Not who you use as an example of the ordinary.

Gettles
2011-07-07, 02:25 AM
True, Shepard can do it. But the thing to remember about Shepard?

She's a death cyborg in power armor. Tosses steel bars around like cardboard.

Anyone else would have a lot more trouble.

I mean, a typical human or Turian couldn't do that.

And a Salarian? Not gonna happen.

Shepard's the six million credit woman. Not who you use as an example of the ordinary.

Kasumi can also use her omni-tool as a weapon in ME2. So Shep isn't the only one.

Malfunctioned
2011-07-07, 05:54 AM
I'd say to go with Mongoose Traveller.
It's a excellent system, just drop in a couple of Mass Relays for systems that would be too far to reach with a normal Jump Drive, stat up a couple of races (Though I suspect that the ones there could be quite easily modified, Vagyr into Salarians, Aslan into Turians, K'kree for Elcor, Hivers for Hanar possibly). If a character wants Biotic powers then they can roll themselves up as Psionic, taking the careers they desire to enhance them.

The rest of the tech and setting should be around what is wanted.

stainboy
2011-07-09, 08:17 AM

Yeah, that's why I suggested a slam attack for cyborgs, not humans. Well, ok, for whatever kind of cyborg Shepard is. I can't imagine a quarian throwing punches in a gunfight.

@Gettles: Good point about Kasumi. What does her Shadow Strike animation look like? I've never looked at it too closely.

So for melee in Mass Effect, we've got:

Shepard - Tired of your Snide Insinuations
Shepard (Vanguard) - Biotic Charge
Shepard (ME3 Preview) - Omni-Blade
Kasumi - Shadow Strike
Grunt & other Krogan - charge
Husk (ME2) - zombie punch
Thorian Creeper - zombie punch
Varren - bite

Anything missing?

BarroomBard
2011-07-09, 08:57 PM
Rachni- claw and bite attacks.
Asari Commandos- Omni-blades (not exactly canon, but makes sense, no?)

DeathsHands
2011-07-09, 10:45 PM
I'd say to go with Mongoose Traveller.

I used that myself, wrote up a bunch of stuff for a conversion. It pretty much straight up hands you stuff to use as templates. Use the alien characteristics, grab the gauss weapons, change up Psionics a bit, and bam.