PDA

View Full Version : smilie hiccups

big teej
2011-07-05, 05:16 PM
have you ever noticed..

that if you use the same smilie several times in a row.
like this.
:smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfurious::smallfu rious::smallfurious:

the forum tends to hiccup and they don't all display properly?

-crosses fingers and hopes his example works-

my question is: why does it do that?

Zherog
2011-07-05, 05:18 PM
The forum software automagically takes long text strings and inserts spaces, so as to avoid the dreaded horizontal scrollbar.

big teej
2011-07-05, 05:25 PM
The forum software automagically takes long text strings and inserts spaces, so as to avoid the dreaded horizontal scrollbar.

oh.
well. I learned something today

Eldan
2011-07-05, 05:59 PM
It works if you put a space after every smilie, by the way.

:smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Siosilvar
2011-07-05, 06:17 PM

Specifically, it's any string of fifty or more characters without a space or return (not sure if other whitespace characters count, but you're unlikely to find any that aren't spaces or returns, mostly because they can't be typed on most regular keyboards and are unnecessary for typing English).

big teej
2011-07-05, 06:19 PM
It works if you put a space after every smilie, by the way.

:smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

I know, but I've always wondered why it hiccups like that.

enderlord99
2011-07-23, 08:05 PM
Specifically, it's any string of fifty or more characters without a space or return (not sure if other whitespace characters count, but you're unlikely to find any that aren't spaces or returns, mostly because they can't be typed on most regular keyboards and are unnecessary for typing English).

Tabs are whitespace characters... but they don't work when you're online.

Siosilvar
2011-08-02, 09:37 PM
Tabs are whitespace characters... but they don't work when you're online.

The only place I've ever seen a tab character is in Notepad.

Word processors don't use tab characters, they just set where the text begins.

NerfTW
2011-08-02, 10:09 PM
Indeed. The Tab key is far more prevalent as a key for moving between menus and commands than as a method of indenting lines.

enderlord99
2011-08-21, 12:51 AM
The only place I've ever seen a tab character is in Notepad.

Word processors don't use tab characters, they just set where the text begins.

Really? I've used Tab in Microsoft word before, and it's made what's essentially a really long space (depending on settings).

Gralamin
2011-08-21, 02:09 AM
A tab character (^I) Generally represents 4 to 8 spaces. You see them a lot in programming. Of course, good programmers make tabs automagically into spaces. :smalltongue:

Zherog
2011-08-21, 09:11 AM
A tab character (^I) Generally represents 4 to 8 spaces. You see them a lot in programming. Of course, good programmers make tabs automagically into spaces. :smalltongue:

Heh. Back in the day, when I first started programming, we got in trouble for using spaces instead of tabs. A tab is one byte; 5 spaces (the coding standard) is 5 bytes. Storage was enough of a consideration that we used tabs in place of spaces.