PDA

View Full Version : How many of you play with Pathfinder 3rd Party Material?

HyperionSanctum
2011-07-06, 02:40 PM
As the title asks
Do you guys use/enjoy Pathfinder Third Party Publishers (3PP)?

Mulletmanalive
2011-07-06, 03:29 PM
We use Tome of Secrets occasionally; the Warlock is pretty good alongside melee classes and the Warlord, while pants to play, makes for some good enemies.

I've also used some of the monster books [Mythic Menagerie: Undead being actually useful...].

Warpwolf16
2011-07-06, 06:04 PM
I allow 3rd party stuff with approval, but 3rd party classes are usually out of my approval vat. In a goblin game a few friends of mine ran I allow death mages, the Psionics Unleashed materials, and the few books that add to existing classes. I also allow some stuff from Wayfinder, I love the stuff they come up with and so do my players.

I love how Pathfinder encourags 3rd party materials, while current edition of D&D isnt 3rd party friendly. I love some of the settings made for pathfinder system that are 3rd Party, I'm a fane of Rhune: Dawn of Twilight and several others I've spotted here and there.

Vallum
2011-07-06, 06:10 PM
Psionics Unleashed have been the extent of 3rd party material that I really liked and utilized in my games of Pathfinder. Most of the time, I'm home brewing my own material, (tomb of secrets just wasn't my cup a' tea), or supplementing my Pathfinder games with 3.5 Material. If I could get a job, I could perhaps get my hands on more of the third party material and give a better opinion...

The Tygre
2011-07-06, 10:16 PM
I too use the Tome of Secrets. I understand that the Artificer leaves a foul taste, but you've got to take everything on a case by case basis here. The rest of the books is pretty solid, in my opinion.

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-06, 10:47 PM
I love making full use of that older stuff made by Wizards of the Coast. :smallamused:

Rentaromon
2011-07-06, 11:01 PM
i DM a small group starting out. and ill let them use anything if its not to crazy OP. like the feat that makes you large size with no downside, or the trait that gives you 1 extra skillpoint and HP each level in addition to what you normally get.

for the most part the 3rd party classes are real weak but have a lot of flavor so they make good enemys or NPCs.

pathfinderSRD is great, it has everything all in 1 easy to navigate place.

Set
2011-07-07, 01:58 PM
I love making full use of that older stuff made by Wizards of the Coast. :smallamused:

I'm in a Pathfinder game with a Binder (Tome of Magic) and a shapeshifting variant Druid (Unearthed Arcana) and wearing a Healing Belt (Magic Item Compendium), so yeah, definitely making use of that 'third-party' WotC stuff. :)

While I haven't used any of that stuff *yet,* the crunchy stuff in From the Shore to the Sea (Kobold Quarterly/Open Design), the Pathfinder Freeport Companion (Green Ronin) and Air Magic & Ice Magic (Super Genius Games) appeal to me.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-07, 02:28 PM
i DM a small group starting out. and ill let them use anything if its not to crazy OP. like the feat that makes you large size with no downside, or the trait that gives you 1 extra skillpoint and HP each level in addition to what you normally get.

Jotunbrud is crazy overpowered? It's not even as good as powerful build!

Oh, and the thing that gives you +1 skill point or hit point per level, that's not an option, that's the favored class rules for Pathfinder. And it's definitely not overpowered.

Crazy overpowered is the d2 crusader, Pun-Pun, and the locate city bomb. Regular, but not crazy, overpowered is stuff like the lightning mace + aptitude weapon combo, or great cleave + wolf pack tactics against a horde of mooks.

Rentaromon
2011-07-07, 05:05 PM
Jotunbrud is crazy overpowered? It's not even as good as powerful build!

Oh, and the thing that gives you +1 skill point or hit point per level, that's not an option, that's the favored class rules for Pathfinder. And it's definitely not overpowered.

Crazy overpowered is the d2 crusader, Pun-Pun, and the locate city bomb. Regular, but not crazy, overpowered is stuff like the lightning mace + aptitude weapon combo, or great cleave + wolf pack tactics against a horde of mooks.

Monstrous Physique (Talent)
You are an unusually big specimen of your race.

Prerequisite: Con 13, Str 13, character level 1st

Benefit: Increase your size category by one, apply the size advancements for reach, armor class, and attack rolls; do not apply the remaining normal size advancements, such as Strength and Constitution increases.

here is the feat i was talking about. The trait gives you both a skill point and HP each level in addition to the normal skillpoint or trait you normally get.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-07, 05:11 PM

Benefit: Increase your size category by one, apply the size advancements for reach, armor class, and attack rolls; do not apply the remaining normal size advancements, such as Strength and Constitution increases.

here is the feat i was talking about. The trait gives you both a skill point and HP each level in addition to the normal skillpoint or trait you normally get.

Um, that gives you reach for -1 to attack and AC. It's not giving you all the bonuses with none of the penalties.

Domriso
2011-07-07, 05:13 PM
It's actually not giving you much at all. Armor and weapons probably aren't sized for you, increasing the price, you're easier to hit and you get hit easier, and you don't even get the ability score benefits. If you aren't a Monk or another character who shuns ordinary society, that's more of a detriment than anything else.

Almagesto
2011-07-07, 06:14 PM
I've never even played Pathfinder but, since the onset of the 4th edition, many of my friends just did the change from 3.5 to it. So I think... yeah, I'll not only use Pathfinder very soon, but also the 3rd party material. What I've seen out there is pretty good, nice monsters and some interesting classes and options for both the players and the DM.

Rentaromon
2011-07-08, 06:31 AM
Um, that gives you reach for -1 to attack and AC. It's not giving you all the bonuses with none of the penalties.

at higher levels that negative is not that huge, and haveing more range and higher weapon dice is probably worth it, at least to how i like to fight.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-08, 01:44 PM
at higher levels that negative is not that huge, and haveing more range and higher weapon dice is probably worth it, at least to how i like to fight.

Large weapons have basically one point of damage over their medium counterparts. Whoop-de-doo. Besides, it says only apply the size modifiers for reach, attack, and AC, it doesn't say anything about using larger weapons.

And besides, every monster of large or larger is going to have the exact same reach as you, if not more. It's not like you get any special advantage.

peacenlove
2011-07-08, 03:04 PM

Where is that? :smalleek:
In 3,5 edition, to gain 24hours/day reach you spent 2 feats (Either Willing Deformity+Deformity(Tall) or Aberrant Blood+Aberrant Reach).

Large weapons have basically one point of damage over their medium counterparts. Whoop-de-doo. Besides, it says only apply the size modifiers for reach, attack, and AC, it doesn't say anything about using larger weapons.

And besides, every monster of large or larger is going to have the exact same reach as you, if not more. It's not like you get any special advantage.
Note that I don't disagree with you with the importance of reach. However this is blatant powercreep, since in official material you need 2 feats and in 3rd party material you need half a feat.

Fox45
2011-07-08, 08:20 PM
Just got Cooking with Class (http://paizo.com/store/games/roleplayingGames/p/pathfinderRPG/adamantEntertainment/v5748btpy8lti&source=search) and I'm sure the fighter in my group is going to make use of some of the magic items for his "Rayden's Fancy Foods" wagon.

I have all my players run any 3rd party stuff they want to use by me first. In the case of new spells I usually say that they have to research them or learn them from somewhere.