PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/P Base Class]Firemind, an Overpowered Pyro Remake [Psionic][PEACH]

AustontheGreat1
2011-07-08, 09:30 PM
FIREMIND

http://www.houseofsixten.com/stealth/alara/chandra_ablaze.jpg

Prerequisites
Alignment: Any chaotic.
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Manifesting: Ability to manifest powers of 3rd level or higher.
Special: Must have set fire to a structure of any size just to watch it burn or have survived a traumatic experience such as being trapped in a burning building where someone close to the character died.

FIREMIND
Hit Die: d8.
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Manifesting

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Burning Mind, Power of Fire|-

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Fire Mastery, Fear No Fire|+1 level of existing manifesting class

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Burning Blade (2d6), Spitfire|+1 level of existing manifesting class

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Inferno Shroud, Power of Fire (+2)|+1 level of existing manifesting class

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Greater Fire Mastery|-

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Wings of Flame|+1 level of existing manifesting class

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Everything Burns, Power of Fire (+3)|+1 level of existing manifesting class

8th|
+6|
+2|
+2|
+6|Burning Blade (4d6)|+1 level of existing manifesting class

9th|
+6|
+3|
+3|
+6|Incinerate|-

10th|
+7|
+3|
+3|
+7|Holocaust, Power of Fire (+4)|+1 level of existing manifesting class [/table]
Class Skills: The pyrokineticist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Acrobatics (Dex), Autohypnosis (Wis),Climb (Str), Intimidate (Cha), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Ranks at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

CLASS FEATURES
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Firemind's do not gain proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Powers Known: At each level indicated, a Firemind gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. Hee does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats, and so on). This essentially means that he adds the level of Firemind to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly. If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a Firemind, he must decide to which class she adds the new level of Firemind for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level. If the character did not belong to a manifesting class before taking this prestige class, he does not gain manifesting levels.

Burning Mind (Ex):The thoughts of a Firemind are fueled by the raging inferno. Manipulating flames comes as easy to them as breathing. At first level, the Firemind adds the following powers to his list of powers known. He only gains access to the powers of a level equal to or lower than the maximum level he can manifest. In addition, the Firemind may not manifest any power with the [Cold] descriptor, and when manifesting powers that allow you to choose which energy type the power exhibits; the Firemind must always choose fire. The exception to this are powers which grant resistance to energy damage.

1st – Control Flames, Energy Ray, Matter Agitation
2nd – Energy Missile, Energy Push, Energy Stun, Specified Energy Adaptation
3rd – Energy Bolt, Energy Burst, Energy Cone, Energy Retort, Energy Wall
4th – Energy Adaptation, Energy Ball
5th – Adapt Body, Energy Current, Fiery Discorporation
6th – Breath of Black Dragon*
7th – Energy Conversion, Energy Wave
*This spell loses the [Acid] descriptor and gains the [Fire] descriptor, and deals fire damage.

Power of Fire (Ex): The Firemind possesses a mastery over the element that is matched by no other. The Firemind receives an insight bonus to his manifester level and the Save DC’s of his powers of +1. This bonus increases by +1 at 4th level and every three Firemind levels therafter.

Fire Mastery (Ps): Firemind’s can do more that create fire. They may bend existing fires to their will. Starting at second level, as a standard action (unless otherwise stated), the Firemind may manipulate one source of fire within close range (25 ft. + 5 ft. / 2 Manifesting Levels). The fire source is immediately extinguished upon being utilized. A fire so large that it exceeds a 20-foot cube is only partly extinguished. Magical fires are not extinguished, although a fire-based creature used as a source takes 1 point of damage per class level. The Firemind may expend power points to utilize one of the following effects:

Dancing Flames: Sculpting the fire like an artist, and granting it a portion of his consciousness, the Firemind can animate the flame into a living weapon which follows his mental commands to fight for him. The Firemind may expend 5 power points and any additional number of power points up to his manifester level -5. This power creates a medium fire elemental completely under the Firemind’s control. Use the medium fire elemental statistics for this creature with the exception that it has no intelligence score and has the construct creature type instead of the elemental creature type. The elemental persists for a number of rounds equal to the number of points expended -5, unless it is slain before that time. In addition, the elemental is animated by psionic energy and therefore subject to effects which disrupt psionics such as Dispel Psionics or a Null Psionics Field. Treat this effect as a power equal to ˝ the Firemind’s level.

Fireworks: The fire is turned into a blinding display of fireworks; a flashing, fiery, momentary burst of glowing, colored aerial lights. This effect causes creatures within 120 feet of the fire source to become blinded for 1d4+1 rounds (Reflex negates, DC 10 + 1/2 manifesting level + Primary manifesting ability modifier). These creatures must have line of sight to the fire to be affected. Power resistance can prevent blindness. Activating this ability cost the Firemind 3 power points.

Smoke Cloud: A stream of smoke billows out from the fire, forming a choking cloud that spreads 20 feet in all directions and lasts for 1 round per class level. All sight, even darkvision, is ineffective in or through the cloud. All within the cloud take –4 penalties to Strength and Dexterity (Fortitude negates, DC 10 + class level + Primary manifesting ability modifier). These effects last for 1d4+1 rounds after the cloud dissipates or after the creature leaves the area of the cloud. Power resistance does not apply. This ability costs the Firemind 3 power points.

Fear No Fire (Ex): Fireminds would not last long if they could no protect themselves the powerful heat of the flames they have mastered. At 2nd level the Firemind gains fire resistance equal to 5 times his Firemind level. In addition, the Firemind takes no damage from any of his own abilities or powers which deal fire damage. At tenth level, this resistance becomes immunity to all fire damage.

Burning Blade (Ps): At 3rd level and higher, a Firemind can activate this ability as a move-equivalent action. Flames that harm neither him nor the weapon engulf one weapon she holds (which can be a projectile such as a stone, bullet, arrow, or bolt). The weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of fire damage on a successful hit. The weapon retains this effect for as long as the Firemind wields it. This extra damage increases to 4d6 at 8th level.

Spitfire (Ps): Starting at 3rd level, as a standard action, a Firemind can launch a bolt of psionically manifested fire at any target in line of sight within 60 feet. This effect is treated as a ranged touch attack and deals 1d6 points of fire damage for each Firemind level the Firemind possesses.

Inferno Shroud (Ps): At 4th level, as a standard action, the Firemind may manifest an aura of flames that harm neither the Firemind nor his equipment engulf his entire body. While she is aflame, the Firemind gains a deflection bonus to his armor class equal to his primary casting ability modifier and damage reduction 5/magic. If struck in melee, the attacker takes 2d6 points of fire damage. This ability costs the Firemind 1 power point per round. This extra damage increases to 4d6 at 8th level.

Greater Fire Mastery (Ps): At 5th level, the Firemind gains even greater control over the forces of fire and heat; even to the point of being able to gain control over fires that other psychics or mages have created. This ability functions nearly identically to the

Beast of Flames: The Firemind may expend his psionic focus and 13 + any number of additional points (though the additional points cannot exceed his manifester level.). If he does so, he may transform an existing flame into the form of a ferocious flaming ally. To activate this ability the fire used to manifest must cover a space of at least 20ft. The flame can be used to creat one of three fiery constructs:

The Phoenix: This construct takes the form of a brilliant flaming bird, reminiscent of the mythical phoenix. Use the Roc creature statistics and apply the Fire Element Creature template (Manual of the Planes p.193.) This creature has no intelligence score and has the construct creature type instead of the elemental creature type. The created creature persists for a number of rounds equal to the number of points expended -13, unless it is slain before that time. In addition, the elemental is animated by psionic energy and therefore subject to effects which disrupt psionics such as Dispel Psionics or a Null Psionics Field. Treat this effect as a power equal to ˝ the Firemind’s level.
The Blazing Brute: This construct takes the form of an enormous flaming behemoth reminiscent of the powerful dinosaurs of ancient times. Use the tyrannosaurus creature statistics and apply the Fire Element Creature template (Manual of the Planes p.193.) This creature has no intelligence score and has the construct creature type instead of the elemental creature type. The created creature persists for a number of rounds equal to the number of points expended -13, unless it is slain before that time. In addition, the elemental is animated by psionic energy and therefore subject to effects which disrupt psionics such as Dispel Psionics or a Null Psionics Field. Treat this effect as a power equal to ˝ the Firemind’s level.

Deflect Flames: The Firemind can protect himself from fiery attacks created by enemy psychics and mages; wrestling control of their effects and flinging them back upon them. When targeted by a spell, power, spell-like ability or psi-like ability which has the fire descriptor and/or that deals fire damage the Firemind may, as an immediate action, attempt a manifester check opposed by a caster level check or manifester level check of the creater of the effect. The Firemind recieves the bonus from his Power of Fire ability to this check. This ability may only be attempted on effects that have the Firemind as a target. Effect and area spells/powers are not affected. This ability fails to stop touch range spells. The use of this ability requires the Firemind expend his psionic focus and a number of power points equal to twice the level of the effect, power, or spell. Treat spell-like abilities or psi-like abilities as a level of half the hit dice of the creature that used it.

Lord of Flames: Showing his true dominion over the element of fire, the Firemind can attempt to seize control over a persistent [Fire] effect created by another psychic or mage. The effect must be one that does not depend on concentration but still relies on or responds to the caster’s control (such as a summon monster spell but not a wall of fire or acid fog). The target original creator of the effect and the Firemind must make opposed caster/manifester level checks. If the Firemind wins, he gains control of the effect until its original duration expires. The effect functions as though the Firemind had created it, except that any variables determined when the effect was cast (including its caster level or manifester level) remain as determined by the original creator. The original creator can be affected by his own effect, though he receives a +2 circumstance bonus on any saving throw allowed against it. If the effect is dismissible and the Firemind wishes to dismiss it,
he must make a second successful opposed caster level or manifester level check to do so. If he fails, the effect continues to remain until its duration expires and control reverts to the original creator.

Wings of Fire (Ps): Beginning at 6th level, the Firemind may utilize the power of fire to grant him the gift of flight. Despite the name, the power does not have to manifest wings at all. As a standard action, by expending his psionic focus and 5 power points, the Firemind gains a fly speed equal to (his primary casting ability modifier x 10)ft. with average maneuverability. The power persist for a number of minutes equal to his Firemind class level.

Everything Burns (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, the Firemind can manifest fire so intense that it can sear even those immune to fire. Powers and Abilities the Firemind uses ignores fire resistance and deals half damage to creatures immune to fire damage.

Incinerate (Ps): A Firemind who reaches 9th level can expend her psionic focus and 15 power points to take a full attack action to raise the internal temperature of one living creature within 30 feet to unimaginable levels. The target must succeed on a Fortitude saving throw (DC 10 + ˝ Class level + the Firemind’s Primary casting ability modifier) or instantly die from bursting into intense flame. If the creature succeeds the save, he takes 15d6 fire damage. Any creature that dies due to this ability, (whether from failing their saving throw or succeeding and being slain by the damage dealt) is reduced to fine ash leaving any equipment unaffected. Creatures immune to fire are not immune to this effect, however they do receive a +10 to the save to resist its effects.

Holocaust (Ps): The culmination of the Firemind’s power, at tenth level, as a full-round action, the Firemind may expend his psionic focus and any remaining power points he possesses to create an all consuming inferno; converting all his remaining psionic potential and even what is left of his very life force into destructive energy. The explosion extends 50ft. from the Firemind in all directions and deals 2 points of damage for every power point expended to manifest the blast (to a maximum of 10 x the manifester level damage.) Creatures within the blast may attempt a reflex save for half damage. After activating the blast, the Firemind is dropped to -1 hp and knocked unconscious.
---
Need some feedback on this one. Seems a little overpowered, but I'll let everyone here be the judge.

eftexar
2011-07-08, 09:44 PM
This class is definitely an improvement on the normal pyromancer. Truthfully it only has a couple of abilities that might be overpowered (I'm not sure how powerful you are shooting for).
I would cut spitfire to 1d6 + 1d6 per 2 levels. 20d6 is an insane amount of damage for an at-will ability.
I would limit holocaust to times per day or have it deal backlash damage.
Firemastery is just loads of fun and I'd add more of them at 5th level.

AustontheGreat1
2011-07-08, 10:04 PM
Well, it only counts Firemind levels so the character would only have 10d6 at 17th level, which is much higher than the same ability for pyrokineticist.

Theoretically, you would only be using Holocaust once a day as you are forced to expend all you power points in a single shot.

Also, great Idea on a way to fill that dead level. I have an idea for one knew fire mastery, but I could use some suggestions for more.

eftexar
2011-07-08, 10:13 PM
Ah I didn't see the limitation to firemind levels. I'm used to tying things to character level, so I sort of missed that.

On the note of using all power points, aren't there a few ways of recovering power points (like stealing them, such as if you are a psi-thief)? I could be wrong though as I'm not too well versed in psionics.

As for fire master, how about the ability to move flames or fire spells/powers that are already in effect. Another idea might be the ability to reflect a fire spell/power on a successful save.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-08, 11:20 PM
There are only a few ways I know of, all three are slow recovery.

AustontheGreat1
2011-07-08, 11:28 PM
Wow, added Greater Fire Mastery and I'm pretty sure its OP. But I'd like some feedback before I go ahead and tone it down.

eftexar
2011-07-08, 11:52 PM
Deflect Flames and Lord of the flames look fine. I don't know enough about the two creatures listed to know if they are balanced or not (especially with the construct template added in). If I remember correctly though their CR is below the level you gain them, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-08, 11:52 PM
"While she is aflame, the Firemind gains a deflection bonus to his armor class equal to his armor class"

And you forgot "Focus" I believe, in Holocaust.
and the last two "+1 level of existing-" Say spellcasting.
I'm going to use this class next level :3 (Level five, I get +5 bab and 3rd level powers. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206480 )

AustontheGreat1
2011-07-09, 02:05 AM
Fixed the mistakes you mentioned. Would really appreciate some feedback on Greater Fire Mastery from anyone.

Dumbledore lives
2011-07-09, 02:18 AM
I'd make the BAB prerequisite 3 personally, because no psionic class gains 3rd level powers and full BAB. This will make it so wilders can get in at level 5, as they seem most suited for this class.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-09, 07:55 AM
I'd make the BAB prerequisite 3 personally, because no psionic class gains 3rd level powers and full BAB. This will make it so wilders can get in at level 5, as they seem most suited for this class.

I made one. And I think it fits well with this Firemind. The Psionicist Knight has full BAB, full Manifesting. But low powers given (reaching only 10 total by 20th).
So the Psionicist could enter earlier. Meanwhile the Psionicist would sacrifice bab for more powers as this Firemind grants bonus powers if I read right.
I dunno. I just think they mesh well.

I don't really see any problems with the Firemind, its not actually overpowered and perfectly playable.