PDA

View Full Version : Stat up a Giant Velvet Worm

Peregrine
2011-07-09, 12:58 AM
So I found this BBC "Weird Nature" video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8oV4RBYR9U) when looking for proof that archerfish are real*, and I learnt about velvet worms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onychophora) in the process.

My wife's comment? "That would be a terrifying D&D monster." Now I want to stat out a Giant Velvet Worm. :smallbiggrin:

Unfortunately I'm DMing a game tomorrow and don't really have time to do up the stats myself, not until Monday. But I thought I'd throw it open to the Playground to see if anyone else wants to come up with their own stats for a giant, lumpy-legged, glue-spitting, razor-mouthed monstrosity. :smallwink:

My game of choice is D&D 3.5e, but feel free to do stats in your own flavour, of course. I should have my own done some time this week.

* My wife tends to be sceptical when I tell her things like "there are fish that shoot down insects with water". Possibly because I've tried in the past to convince her of the existence of such fascinating wildlife as carnivorous radioactive kangaroos...

DracoDei
2011-07-09, 11:42 AM
Have you ALSO posted this to the homebrew request thread?

I would probably take a crack at it myself, but I really have to get the house I am house-sitting cleaned up before the owners return from vacation.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-09, 01:10 PM
edit: Looks like I'm late, sorry. Didn't see this thread until about 15 minutes ago. Looks like I'm very late and sounds like your already DM'ing or what ever, sounds like you needed it soon, Is it too late?

Velvet Worm
Size/Type:
Gargantuan Magical Beast
Hit Dice:
16d10+112 (200 hp)
Initiative:
Speed:
20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 20 ft., Climb 10 ft.
Armor Class:
19 (-4 size, -2 Dex, +15 natural), touch 4, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple:
+16/+40
Attack:
Bite +25 melee (2d8+12)
Full Attack:
Bite +25 melee (2d8+12)
Space/Reach:
20 ft./15ft.
Special Attacks:
Adhesive Spray, swallow whole, poison
Special Qualities:
Tremorsense 60 ft.
Saves:
Fort +17, Ref +8, Will +4
Abilities:
Str 35, Dex 6, Con 25, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 8
Skills:
Listen +18, Climb +20
Feats:
Awesome Blow, Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment:
Forrest
Organization:
Solitary
Challenge Rating:
Treasure:
No coins, no items
Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement:
16-32 HD (Gargantuan); 33-48 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment:

The body of a mature Velvet Worm is 5 feet in diameter and 80 feet long, weighing about 40,000 pounds. The creature has two protrusions that work together to release sticky adhesive at range over an area.
Combat
In battle, a Velvet Worm first starts off by releasing a 60ft spray to disable enemies as much as possible in the sticky, poisonous adhesive. Weakened, and stuck the Velvet Worm then goes in to swallow the victims whole.
Adhesive Spray (Ex)
The Velvet Worm releases a spray of adhesive in a 60ft cone. Those in the cone must make a reflex save DC 20 or be entangled. Those caught in the adhesive are subject to Poison.
Poison (Ex)
Injury, Fortitude DC 25, initial damage 1d6 Str, secondary damage 2d6 Str. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Swallow Whole (Ex)
A velvet worm can try to swallow an entangled opponent of a smaller size than itself by making a successful grapple check to grab the weakened victim, and again to swallow it. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+12 points of crushing damage plus 8 points of acid damage per round from the worm’s gizzard. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by using a light slashing or piercing weapon to deal 25 points of damage to the gizzard (AC 17). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. A Gargantuan worm’s interior can hold 2 Large, 8 Medium, 32 Small, 128 Tiny, or 512 Diminutive or smaller opponents.
Skills
A Velvet Worm has a +8 racial bonus on any Climb check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if distracted or endangered.

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-09, 01:58 PM
Why did you make it a Magical beast? Nothing about it is magical, in stat block or out. It should be a Vermin. :smallconfused:

erictheredd
2011-07-09, 04:15 PM
it is possible it should be smaller:

Velvet Worm
Size/Type:
Huge Vermin
Hit Dice:
8d10+40 (88 hp)
Initiative:
Speed:
20 ft. (4 squares), Climb 10 ft.
Armor Class:
15 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +8 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 15
Attack:
Bite +11 melee (2d6+10)
Full Attack:
Bite +11 melee (2d6+10)
Space/Reach:
20 ft./15ft.
Special Attacks:
Adhesive Spray, poison
Special Qualities:
Tremorsense 60 ft., blind
Saves:
Fort +11, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities:
Str 25, Dex 8, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 8, Cha 8
Feats:
Awesome Blow, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment:
Forrest
Organization:
Solitary
Challenge Rating:
?
Treasure:
No coins, no items
Alignment:
Always neutral
Advancement:
Level Adjustment:

poison: DC 19 d6 con initial, d6 con secondary

adhesive spray: a velvet worm may four times a day spray a sticky adhesive at a foe with a range of 20ft. This is a ranged touch attack. if the attack hits the target may only move 5ft as a standard action, and only if they succeed at a strength check (DC 15). They receive a -4 penalty to attacks, AC, and reflex saves, and a -8 to all movement related skill checks. (try balancing on a log while convered in goo, though it might help you with climbing. we could say if you fail a climbing check you won't fall)

blind: they really are. though it might be more accurate to give them blindsight 20ft than tremorse.

also, I don't think they borrow.

between those two you can scale the numbers. I don't know the CR on mine, but its under 8, should be well under 8. as for cipher's.... yeah

zagan
2011-07-09, 05:16 PM
Giant velvet worm exist as official D&D 3.5 monster they can be founf in lost empire of faerun p191.
They're huge vermin, 10hd, CR 5. They have a glue strand attack that can entangle creature up to 100ft away and a poison dealing Con damage.
They seem pretty cool.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-09, 05:49 PM
Why did you make it a Magical beast? Nothing about it is magical, in stat block or out. It should be a Vermin. :smallconfused:

So? Look at The Purple Worm:

magical beast.

Tanuki Tales
2011-07-09, 06:27 PM
So? Look at The Purple Worm:

magical beast.

One exception doesn't make the rule. The Velvet worm is a real creature and as mentioned, has been statted before as a Vermin.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-09, 06:34 PM
My wife's comment? "That would be a terrifying D&D monster." Now I want to stat out a Giant Velvet Worm. :smallbiggrin:

Are you familiar with the Bobbit (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Eunice_aphroditois.jpg) Worm? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkUSx6aQGXU)

I think it would give the velvet a run for its money in the terrifying department.

Peregrine
2011-07-10, 08:08 AM
Have you ALSO posted this to the homebrew request thread?

I didn't post this in the Request thread because it wasn't a request as such; more an interesting exercise. :smallsmile: But I might post it there too if such exercises are encouraged there (it's been ages since I had a look around in that thread).

edit: Looks like I'm late, sorry. Didn't see this thread until about 15 minutes ago. Looks like I'm very late and sounds like your already DM'ing or what ever, sounds like you needed it soon, Is it too late?

Sorry if I confused you, Cipher -- I wasn't wanting this in time for my game today. What I meant to say was that I would have sat down and done up some stats myself, then and there, but I was too busy preparing stuff I needed for the game.

Velvet Worm

It's a bit too closely based on the Purple Worm for my tastes -- I think a velvet worm should focus less on brute strength, more on ambush and trapping.

it is possible it should be smaller:

If only because it gives this ambush predator a better Hide check. :smallwink:

Are you familiar with the Bobbit (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Eunice_aphroditois.jpg) Worm? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkUSx6aQGXU)

I think it would give the velvet a run for its money in the terrifying department.

That... is seriously freaky. :smalleek:

Not long after the velvet worm conversation, I happened across this tree weta photo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Male_tree_weta-orig.jpg). I've always thought the giant weta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_weta) has potential as a D&D monster, but the tree weta already looks like something out of a monster manual.