PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Revamped base classes and houserules

Ceaon
2011-07-10, 05:40 AM
For a new campaign, I've decided to try to cut down the number of base classes and bring them closer together, balance-wise. I also want to introduce some houserules. The game would be PH+MM+DMG only. Are these alterations to the system balanced? PEACH!

Edits are in blue.

Some in-depth questions:
1. Are there any skills that are now on no classes' skill list?
2. What would be your estimate for the level that full-casters take over other classes in this new system?
3. Am I missing any obvious errors or 'glitches' with these changes?
4. How to handle hit points and constitution?

New Classes
Note: In this new campaign, no other base classes (or prestige classes) would be allowed.

Channeler
Template: Wizard
Change casting to spontaneous (casting stat still intelligence)
Change spells per day to sorcerer's progression

Crusader
Template: Paladin
Combine spell list with cleric
Caster level is equal to class level
Change Smite Evil to Smite Foe (can target any creature instead of only evil ones)
Add: ability to cast orisons (2 at level 1, 3 at level 2, 4 at level 3 and higher)
Add: alignment restriction as cleric
Add: Detect Hostility as with the Detect Hostile Intent Power (ML = class level) as a Spell-like ability 1/day
Add: Extra uses of Smite Foe at level 3, 7, 13, 17
Remove: Detect Evil
Remove: Special Mount
Remove: Remove Disease
Remove: Alignment restriction and paladin code

Knight
Template: Barbarian
Combine skill list with fighter
Add: fighter bonus feats at level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18
Add: can qualify for fighter-only feats
Remove: Trap Sense ability
Remove: Illiteracy
Remove: Alignment restriction

Priest
Template: Cleric
Remove: heavy armor proficiency

Scourge
Template: Bard
Combine skill list with rogue
Change casting to prepared
Add: sneak attack as rogue
Add: trapfinding as rogue
Remove: bardic music
Remove: alignment restriction

Wildling
Template: Ranger
Change animal companion progression to druid's
Combine spell list with druid's
Caster level is equal to class level
Change skill points to 4+int per level
Change combat style (see Spoiler box)
Add: ability to cast orisons (2 at level 1, 3 at level 2, 4 at level 3 and higher)
Remove: favored enemy

Combat Style (Ex)
At 2nd level, a wildling must select one of three combat styles to pursue: archery, two-weapon combat or unarmed combat. This choice affects the character’s class features but does not restrict his selection of feats or special abilities in any way.

If the wildling selects archery, he is treated as having the Rapid Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the wilding selects two-weapon combat, he is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the wildling selects unarmed combat, he is treated as having the flurry of blows and unarmed strike class abilities like a monk.

At 5th level, attacks made when applying the wildling's chosen combat style deal 1d8 extra damage. If the wildling chose the two-weapon combat style, this extra damage applies to attacks made while wielding two weapons, even if he only makes an attack with one of them. This extra damage increases to 2d8 at level 10, to 3d8 at level 15 and to 4d8 at level 20.

The benefits of the wilding’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Improved Combat Style (Ex)
At 6th level, a wildling’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery, two-weapon combat, or unarmed combat) improves. If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Manyshot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the wildling selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the wildling selected unarmed combat at 2nd level, he automatically ignores any damage reduction (except DR/epic) when making unarmed attacks.

As before, the benefits of the wildling’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Combat Style Mastery (Ex)
At 11th level, a wildling’s aptitude in his chosen combat style (archery, two-weapon combat, or unarmed combat) improves again. If he selected archery at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Improved Precise Shot feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the wildling selected two-weapon combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even if he does not have the normal prerequisites for that feat.

If the wildling selected unarmed combat at 2nd level, he is treated as having the Greater Flurry class ability (see the monk class).

As before, the benefits of the wildling’s chosen style apply only when he wears light or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style when wearing medium or heavy armor.

Other Houserules

Character Creation
Sources: PH+DMG+MM only.
Roll 5d6, choose the best three, assign in the order you rolled, you may switch two stats around. You may reroll if your total modifier is +4 or lower.

Changes to Races
A dwarf's favored class is Crusader.
Elves gain Quick Draw as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites. An elf's favored class is Channeler.
Gnomes gain Magical Aptitude as a bonus feat. A gnome's favored class is Scourge.
Half-elves gain Skill Focus as a bonus feat. They gain a +2 racial bonus to Sense Motive. A half-elf's favored class is Priest.
Half-orcs do not take a -2 penalty to charisma. They gain Diehard as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the prerequisites. A half-orc's favored class is Knight.
Halfling base land speed is 30 feet. A halfling's favored class is Wildling.

Hit Points
You add your constitution score to your hit points at character creation, but do not add your constitution modifier each level. If your constitution score changes, change your hit points accordingly.
When you roll for hit points and you roll lower than your consititution modifier, you instead gain hit points equal to your constitution modifier. This also applies retroactively.

Skill Points
Increases in intelligence give you more skill points retroactively.

Bonus Feats
Characters may select feats from the General Feats list (excluding feats marked as fighter bonus feats) at level 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17. These could be feats like Skill Focus and Run to flesh out your character.

Spell DCs
Spell DCs are no longer 10 + spell level + relevant casting stat modifier. Instead, they become 10 + relevant casting stat modifier + half your caster level (rounded down).

Shadow Lord
2011-07-10, 08:53 AM
Why no spontaneous? Spontaneous is typically more balanced (read:less versatile) than prepared casters.

Yora
2011-07-10, 09:08 AM
Have you considered cloistered cleric for priests?

Ceaon
2011-07-10, 09:11 AM
Typically, yes. It's mostly a fluff decision: how I imagine magic to be. I wanted an int-based caster (the wizard/channeler) and a half-caster based on the spell learning principle of that class (the scourge), so fluff-wise, the scourge has to use prepared casting. But, I plan to restrict the ability to add spells to your spellbook in this setting (no Magic 'R Us shops, little scrolls, no splatbooks) so I think it should work out. If you disagree, I might change the Channeler to spontaneous casting and use the sorcerer's spell casting tables and retain the spontaneous nature of the bard/scourge.

Veklim
2011-07-10, 09:14 AM
My guess would be levelling the playing a field a bit, but I'd agree with Shadow Lord here. If it's all gonna be standardised to one type, then spontaneous for everyone makes more sense. Only thing then is to limit your Channeler class with it's ability to learn new spells.

Don't see any real troubles with your house rules though, all seems to follow the same way towards a streamlined game...

Also, I actually like the Knight class idea, for both it's simplicity and the thought behind it...

All in all it seems reasonable, and I don't anticipate any major problems from this.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-10, 09:30 AM
Woa, I like a lot of it. (The Spell Save DC's feel like a big improvement, though its such a simple thing...)
And I really like the Crusader and Knight imagery I got from reading.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-10, 09:45 AM
You forgot to give the scourge trapfinding. Unless you want your players to die from all the magical traps they can't disarm. (or even find)

It doesn't make sense for the crusader to be able to cast detect evil if his alignment is not automatically opposed to evil. Perhaps you should give him the ability to cast detect opposite alignment or something. (I would personally suggest, since he's not alignment-based anymore, the detect hostile intent psionic power, but you're not using the XPH so I don't think you would allow it)

Hit Points- Whoa, someone's gone 4.0 on us. Be careful starting your players with that many hit points. The Channeler is going to have a lot more survivability.

Also, I think you should at least make the monk's unarmed progression and flurry a fighter bonus feat or something. Unarmed combat is basically unplayable without the extra damage dice.

Ceaon
2011-07-10, 10:07 AM
Have you considered cloistered cleric for priests?

Yes. I think it could work, but the cloistered cleric and the wizard are too alike for my vision.

My guess would be levelling the playing a field a bit, but I'd agree with Shadow Lord here. If it's all gonna be standardised to one type, then spontaneous for everyone makes more sense. Only thing then is to limit your Channeler class with it's ability to learn new spells.

Well, I guess spontaneous casting it is then! I'll just refluff that you still need a teacher, schooling or somesuch to 'unlock' your full arcane potential.

Don't see any real troubles with your house rules though, all seems to follow the same way towards a streamlined game...

Also, I actually like the Knight class idea, for both it's simplicity and the thought behind it...

All in all it seems reasonable, and I don't anticipate any major problems from this.

Woa, I like a lot of it. (The Spell Save DC's feel like a big improvement, though its such a simple thing...)
And I really like the Crusader and Knight imagery I got from reading.

Great, thanks!

You forgot to give the scourge trapfinding. Unless you want your players to die from all the magical traps they can't disarm. (or even find)

It doesn't make sense for the crusader to be able to cast detect evil if his alignment is not automatically opposed to evil. Perhaps you should give him the ability to cast detect opposite alignment or something. (I would personally suggest, since he's not alignment-based anymore, the detect hostile intent psionic power, but you're not using the XPH so I don't think you would allow it)

Ah right. Those are good finds. Detect hostile alignment is just what I needed. I'll allow any source for my homebrew, I just don't let my players use any source :smallwink:

Hit Points- Whoa, someone's gone 4.0 on us. Be careful starting your players with that many hit points. The Channeler is going to have a lot more survivability.

I know, this is also what I feared. Starting hit points would be between ~12 and 28, which is quite high. Maybe I hadn't given this enough thought. Suggestions to make constitution matter less without making it obsolete?

Also, I think you should at least make the monk's unarmed progression and flurry a fighter bonus feat or something. Unarmed combat is basically unplayable without the extra damage dice.

It's not like it's playable in 3.5 itself, what with it being restricted to the monk class :smallbiggrin: And wildlings can get the monk's increased damage dice because of their unarmed strike class feature.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-10, 10:14 AM
Oh, I didn't notice the spoiler before. Okay, as long as you haven't removed the unarmed option completely then I have no complaints.

Hmm...the Constitution is a problem. Let's see, how about for the non-martial classes (The ones without full BAB), you have the Constitution score replace their first hit dice, instead of add to it. And for the martials, you do indeed add the Constitution score to the hit dice, as they need that many hit points anyway.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-10, 03:31 PM
I'd also say to make it Dual ability dependent; Charisma for bonus spells, Intelligence for DC and the other thing. MAD is good to balance casters with :smallwink:

Veklim
2011-07-10, 06:32 PM
...MAD is good to balance casters with :smallwink:
Tut tut! MAD is good with which to balance casters. :smalltongue:

I agree though. :smallbiggrin:

Shadow Lord
2011-07-10, 07:03 PM
Tut tut! MAD is good with which to balance casters. :smalltongue:

I agree though. :smallbiggrin:

Ah, but I do nae speak in your ill fitting language; indeed, I speak in the more esoteric language, ShadowLordSpeak. Which is totally a real thing!

Ceaon
2011-07-13, 04:03 AM
So I guess I will leave hit points untouched, at least for now. If anybody has any more constructive or helpful insights, feel free to share. Otherwise, I will implement this homebrew/houserule combination in play as is.

Edit: changed the races entry a bit.