PDA

View Full Version : Hard Time coming up with fantasy story

Lord Raziere
2011-07-12, 04:20 PM
ok, see, I want to come up with some original idea to like, make a fantasy story, whatever but however many ideas I come up with I'm not satisfied, its completely elusive the fantasy story I want to write about, I know it is there, but....I can't find it. or make it.

nothing clicks or anything. its as if I get close but it then it slips through, I would come up with something good, start making a setting, then like some ways through the setting, I suddenly am not satisfied anymore and make a new one but some time after that, I get dissatisfied with that one to. its frustrating.

can anyone help me come up with a fantasy story that would y'know work? its just getting kinda frustrating for me to keep coming up with these fantasy settings for my story without being satisfied or anything with them.

Kaytara
2011-07-12, 05:17 PM
First question: Why do you even want to write a fantasy story, in the first place? (This is not a challenge to you, but the answer might help you move in the direction of what story you want to tell.)

Maybe this will help:

What do you want it to be about? In the most utterly, completely general sense? The theme, the high concept, the Big Truth of it? Is it about how love conquers all, or how reckless decisions can lead to disaster, or about how people with good intentions can do monstrous things, or the importance of treating your enemies humanely, or or or...

As an exercise, try to take stories you like and know well and reduce them to simple themes like that - themes that are largely independent of time and setting. You want your story to emotionally resonate with the reader - deciding on your High Concept of it (or two, or three...) and then executing it is how.

I suppose most people start stories because they just have a particular idea in their head (e.g., "I want to write about a boy who meets an alien") and want to go with it and see where it takes them, and usually end up finding their High Concept of it in the planning stages... but you're saying that you're stuck with that.

As for settings... Just pick whatever maximises the potential for DRAMA and serves as a handy stage for your High Concept without looking artificial. Say, if it's a story about staying true to your principles, then it makes sense to set it in a situation that actually offers enough challenge to those principles - like, a teenage girl supporting a child sibling living below the poverty line over some upper class in private school and her issues of whether or not to cheat on the math test.

Last but not least: Spelling and grammar. When reading a story online, a lack of proper capitalisation and punctuation is often the cue to hit 'backspace'. It doesn't matter how good the content is - messed up punctuation impedes the reader's mental voice as they read it and is just irritating.

Omeganaut
2011-07-12, 05:40 PM
The thing that usually gets me started is a dream. No, I wouldn't just repeat my incoherent dream like a certain popular hack, but it will get you started with some ideas of fantasy ideas. I've recently started a dream journal (because I'm not going to call it a diary) to keep track of my dreams, and it has already given me a few new ideas.

Also, keep your partly-finished settings. Take a look at them again if you still have some, and find the parts that you like. If they all stop because of the same general area, then get inspiration from a friend or from somewhere else. If you can, try fitting as many as you can into a more complete setting. Putting all the little ideas into a bigger idea can help you begin figuring out a fantasy world.

Ultimately though, you have to figure out what you want to say. Don't just have it be a typical 'save the world from evil, get phat loots, and hook up with the cute girl'. That's been overdone. If you don't have any plot ideas, find a way to avoid this idea. Have the bad guy be the main character. Have the hero die and his friends left to pick up the pieces. Do something to ruin the boring usual fantasy progression.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-12, 08:00 PM
that usual plots is what making me try to write something original. I truly AM tired of the hero doing all that stuff.

my idea for that would be to show that the "evil" is not really evil at all, the girl to betray him and for all the ancient artifacts to crumble to dust because...they are artifacts, they don't last like that....and then has to deal with the complicated situation of figuring out how to solve everything without one of the sides dying and saving everyone from a war. and I would make him some knife-wielding thief instead of the usual farm boy just to see how said thief as a protagonist deals with the situation, and because it would be funny.

Omeganaut
2011-07-12, 09:28 PM
A theif is overdone too, as he either has a heart of gold, or is redeemed. Even if he was bad, it would just be his upbringing. Maybe a frail wizard or a low-noble's son who trained to be an adventurer. Something that hasn't been done by everyone and their fanfic following.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-12, 11:32 PM
A theif is overdone too, as he either has a heart of gold, or is redeemed. Even if he was bad, it would just be his upbringing. Maybe a frail wizard or a low-noble's son who trained to be an adventurer. Something that hasn't been done by everyone and their fanfic following.

he wouldn't be bad, but neither he'd be good, he just regard his job as survival and this sudden bunch of people trying to make him save the world making him frustrated that this life was rudely interrupted, so he just wants the problem solved....so that he can go back to doing what he does best: stealing to survive. he doesn't attach any morality to what he does...he just does it because that is what he does. even if you offered him all the riches in the world, he would just stare blankly at you and say "keep it, dibs on that loaf of bread." there isn't anything to redeem, tell him to him to risk his life for the good of others and he would go "why? that doesn't seem like a good plan for survival."
and even if he turns out to actually *GASP* be a good guy...so what? not every trope needs to be subverted. :smalltongue: he just wouldn't be obvious about it, he knows he ain't a straight fighter, if he charged in like sword-swinging maniac he'd know he'd die, that is just common survival sense, his specialty is avoiding fights not engaging them.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-13, 09:23 AM
or maybe, I could use a frail wizard, like one that uses stone magic/earth magic rather than the cliched fire user or something like that.

that and it would give a reasonable justification for the "wise wizard" to come to him and send him on his quest. (y'know, someone like dumbledore or gandalf)
the twist is that said wise wizard is actually the villain trying to start the war
and of course the quest for an artifact that will crumble to dust when he touches it, where he finds a bunch of people willing to go along.
They are all just out for their own agenda and will betray him, all of them.

leakingpen
2011-07-13, 11:30 AM
Lord razier, look up Another Fine Myth, by robert aspirin.

Kaytara, omeganaut, you both said everything I came to say. Thanks!

shawnhcorey
2011-07-13, 11:59 AM
that usual plots is what making me try to write something original. I truly AM tired of the hero doing all that stuff.

All original ideas have been done before. Be distinctive, nor original.

my idea for that would be to show that the "evil" is not really evil at all, the girl to betray him and for all the ancient artifacts to crumble to dust because...they are artifacts, they don't last like that....and then has to deal with the complicated situation of figuring out how to solve everything without one of the sides dying and saving everyone from a war. and I would make him some knife-wielding thief instead of the usual farm boy just to see how said thief as a protagonist deals with the situation, and because it would be funny.

A farm boy is often chosen since he can be "a stranger in a strange land." Instead, you could try a street urchin.

A trick you might try is to write the climax first, then write your story to the climax. It's much easier to get where you want to go if you know where that is before you start. :)

Kislath
2011-07-13, 12:03 PM
So, make your guy a bit like Han Solo with a real selfish streak, who would not see the point in fighting the empire when instead he could just hyper off to a little fringe planet where nobody goes?

Lord Raziere
2011-07-13, 12:40 PM
All original ideas have been done before. Be distinctive, nor original.

not helping, go dump your pessimism elsewhere.

all your other advice is something I've been told before.

@ Kislath: "sure I could run a long time- but what happens when there is no where left to run? If I run now and the empire only grows stronger and comes for me, then all I've truly done is make the empire stronger. Best cut a weed before it grows, best topple an empire before it rules everything. gotta think long term."

leakingpen
2011-07-13, 12:57 PM
Lord Raz, he's right though. If you can come up with a truly original idea thats not just stupid, you would be a god among writers. Everything is a hash of whats been done before. There is not a single original idea that i've seen come out since my birth. Even if the person came up with it and it SEEMED original, someones already done it.

shawnhcorey
2011-07-13, 01:32 PM
not helping, go dump your pessimism elsewhere.

Whether it's pessimistic or not, it's still reality. But you don't have to be original to tell a well-told story. How many times has King Arthur been re-told? Choose a theme that has a deep meaning for you and write that story. It doesn't matter if it's original; what matters is how well you tell it.

Omeganaut
2011-07-13, 02:07 PM
Well, almost every idea has been done before its true, but not in every combinations. And taking the ones that aren't cliched and mixing them together in new ways is sure to avoid strange-ness. And I would love seeing a frail human (or even something elf or halfling-like) being the greatest earth magician, as opposed to Dwarves or Gnomes always owning that spot.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-13, 03:29 PM
leakingpen, shawnhcorey, I'm not listening. this my beliefs your talking about. I don't care about the facts, what believe is creativity, I'm not going to argue semantics with you over whether or not there are original ideas or not, you are not helping.

anyways omega, yes human or elf could be an option, but how about something like a goblin earth mage? or has that been used before?
or if we are speaking of an elf, I could always use the elven ambassador character I've been saving for something.....but the human I created to contrast him with isn't supposed to betray him so maybe not....

as for themes.....I dunno, I prefer breaking the stupid cycle of revenge....at then same time I like showing that things don't always have a simple solution....but I always like a theme of balance and imperfection working together...

Omeganaut
2011-07-13, 03:51 PM
Goblin could certainly work too. And all of those themes could certainly work together. Having a complicated solution that meshes imperfections with balances and that ends a cycle of revenge would be great. (although, not revenge on a national scale, that is also overdone)

Hyudra
2011-07-13, 04:09 PM
My suggestion is to take something cliched and reverse it. See if that serves as a starting point.

Further, keep in mind that a good story will have the hero begin in (or immediately find themselves in) a really bad situation. This makes it all the better when they rise to greatness.

What defines elves? They're noble, proud, better than you. They're skilled and beyond their years. Reversing that, picture a character that's an elf, but occupies the lowest possible position in society. Like, say, a rat catcher. Now you've got something to start with:

Naia has no last name, she was found in the woods, dazed and with an ugly scar at the corner of her lip, and was brought to an orphanage. She lived there for a long time, caring for the younger children and keeping an eye out for them on the streets. When the ownership of the orphanage changed hands, the new owner judged that Naia, having been with the orphanage for fifteen years, was clearly adult, and turned her out.

There's few options for a young girl on the streets, and Naia was too streetwise to take the easy road, working a streetcorner. Instead, she took odd jobs, and fell into a role moving through the sewer. She got a copper penny for every dead rat she brought in, and at the story's onset, she's been doing this for several years, making enough to keep herself fed and clothed. She currently has a pet - a small brown terrier - that helps her catch and kill the rats, and with this terrier, she travels between the upper class districts (where people are willing to pay more to ensure that the vermin population is kept well under control). In the slums, she knows people.
There. Now, fleshing out this character and placing her in the world involves two steps. The first is expanding the character in a way that makes sense. The second is expanding the world in a way that supports the backstory.

Naia's character, though it's never said outright, is very catlike. She does have a lithe grace and she's quick, and the fact that she can see in the dark and that she hunts rats just helps this allusion. It would make sense for her to be fiercely independent. Those willing to tolerate a filthy street urchin are generally very kind to her, but neither she nor they form any really lasting relationships.

So what kind of world lets an elf become a street rat? It could be the result of a war that saw the fall of the elven kingdoms. Given that so much of this story seems to be rooted in the city, perhaps there's a major human empire that's simply expanded to the point that it's overrun other nations and civilizations. This works really well with Naia making her living in the sewer. Perhaps the city Naia lives in is a sprawling metropolis that you couldn't cross with five days of walking. Beneath it are the ruins and tombs of ancient civilizations, some of which have been repurposed into the sewers that Naia works in.
From there, you've got a story seed. Naia is going about a typical day's work when she stumbles onto something. Perhaps it's a clandestine meeting, or an arcane relic from a civilization long past.

That's generally how I go about it.

Dr.Epic
2011-07-13, 04:18 PM
Writing a fantasy story is easy. Follow these steps:

Steps for writing an Indiana Jones fantasy story

1. Protagonist is adventurous
2. There's an evil empire
3. Create a macguffin
4. There's a long journey spanning countless of miles

Once you got these decided, the rest writes itself.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-13, 04:26 PM
well here is the plot I've worked out so far:

goblin earth mage gets sent on mission to save world by older mages, comes across the usual companions that help on the quest, goes to ruins, turns out the artifacts there crumble on touch but then the entire party starts betraying each other as they were actually out for their own agendas, which includes the elf/dwarf getting this cube that was preserved that has the knowledge of how to build new artifact things and the dwarf/elf want to blow up the ruins because they don't want to learn from the civilization with a bunch of old super-weapons,and the human girl betraying the goblin mage to the "evil" that threatening the world, gets captured, things go into chaos as the ruins start collapsing and the elf/dwarf tries to get out with the cube...

then the goblin mage waking up as prisoner, starts seeing that the evil is not actually evil, just a bunch of shadow people, but their leader is some shadow god or something wanting revenge on the day god for some reason....

then a bunch of events occur...that leads to the goblin mage finding out that the archmage that sent him on the quest originally is behind the whole problem and plans to make a perfect world by absorbing both gods power and becoming omnipotent...but the goblin mage kills him.

however this hasn't solved the problem that a massive war will still happen because of something done long ago and such and now the goblin earth mage must figure out how to solve this thing without getting one or the other side killed.

(the point of the quest I'm thinking would be for the elf/dwarf to get the cube so that the Day side gets the needed magical items to equalize the sides and weaken them both from prolonged struggle....and as for the goblin himself, would he be some sort of pawn that just gone out of control or something? hmmm...)

the whole point of this though is that the villain himself is just what sets off the chain of events, the real challenge is actually preventing the war.

leakingpen
2011-07-13, 07:43 PM
Lord raz, as I read more of your posts here, may I suggest that before worrying about a plot, you learn how to write in english? not trying to be snarky here, dead serious. I get the feeling english isn't your first language.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-13, 11:17 PM
Lord raz, as I read more of your posts here, may I suggest that before worrying about a plot, you learn how to write in english? not trying to be snarky here, dead serious. I get the feeling english isn't your first language.

:smallmad: it is my first language. these are just my thoughts spilling out raw and unprocessed, maybe peoples imaginations speak in a different language than the people's mouths?

oh hey maybe that could unlock a lot of things about the human mind, that our thoughts are speaking a different language and that we are translating to ourselves, our own thoughts into words we understand on a conscious level. sure english is my first language, but isn't my imaginations first.

but enough about that. I've remembered an idea I had that might present an interesting possibility: a series called the Genie Hunters, where it isn't about the wishes themselves, but what people would do, what lengths they would go to, to get that wish in the first place you see, and then asking the question: what kind of people would go searching for such a wish? would it be selfish to wish for what you intended to wish for- even though you could wish for something for more selfless? would you deserve your wish after all that you've done?
the idea is intriguing to be.

but unfortunately, this seems to mean that I'm unfocused in what kind of fantasy I want, perhaps thats the problem, maybe I'm too unfocused, but I don't' know what to focus on! I'll need to start doing that, maybe better focus on the goblin earth mage story, have to name that by the way. maybe focus on themes first? hmmm....that might be a good idea rather than focusing on setting which I have been doing so far....

Comet
2011-07-14, 07:28 AM
but enough about that. I've remembered an idea I had that might present an interesting possibility: a series called the Genie Hunters, where it isn't about the wishes themselves, but what people would do, what lengths they would go to, to get that wish in the first place you see, and then asking the question: what kind of people would go searching for such a wish? would it be selfish to wish for what you intended to wish for- even though you could wish for something for more selfless? would you deserve your wish after all that you've done?
the idea is intriguing to be.

This certainly sounds good. Brings to mind one of my all time favourite sci-fi stories, Roadside Picnic, also known as Stalker in some parts of the world. Wish granting is an effective way to measure a character's, well, character and if the journey to said granting is long enough there's plenty of time for second guessing, doubt and new resolve to rise. Interesting stuff.

maybe focus on themes first? hmmm....that might be a good idea rather than focusing on setting which I have been doing so far....

Definitely. Of course, opinions differ but I certainly believe that coming up with elaborate maps and long histories and other such setting-y stuff does not immediately serve any kind of story whatsoever. They're good to have, if you're going for that sort of Tolkien vibe, but the story itself should be about something else, with the depth of the world as a bonus that makes it easier to relate to whatever conflict is at hand.

Doktor Per
2011-07-14, 09:24 AM

This is almost the plot of the Civil War... on Drugs. You could take a fantasy story and do something new with it by taking a sheet from that book.

The protagonist just being some schmuck or a couple of friends getting caught up in the insanity of fantasy life could be interesting. Maybe they work at an in and a lot of adventurers come through, it could be glorious, it could be tragic. But they're always going somewhere, while the protagonist are never gonna go anywhere.

The Hobbit isn't about Bilbo going stealing a ring and killing Smaug. It's about Bilbo going out into the world and learning contractual law. When he comes back, his journey has made him into a snide businessman and wordsmith. That is that hero's journey. The journey can be as downplayed or bold as you wish, it can be uplifting or depressing, but you really need that journey because it's the arc most stories are built on.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-14, 09:32 AM
This certainly sounds good. Brings to mind one of my all time favourite sci-fi stories, Roadside Picnic, also known as Stalker in some parts of the world. Wish granting is an effective way to measure a character's, well, character and if the journey to said granting is long enough there's plenty of time for second guessing, doubt and new resolve to rise. Interesting stuff.

Definitely. Of course, opinions differ but I certainly believe that coming up with elaborate maps and long histories and other such setting-y stuff does not immediately serve any kind of story whatsoever. They're good to have, if you're going for that sort of Tolkien vibe, but the story itself should be about something else, with the depth of the world as a bonus that makes it easier to relate to whatever conflict is at hand.

'kay, Genie hunters, is y'know guys who hunt for genies. There are two kinds: those who go in groups, and those who go alone. The groups are always three, always a trio. Cause genies only grant three wishes, therefore one wish per group member. Two people only cause arguments over who gets an extra wish, while four is too many and leaves open the possibility that someone might betray the other three for all three wishes.

So what we have, are three protagonists who have to compete with other groups of three, as well as loners. and the wishes are not always selfish. lots of people have wishes, from the dirtiest scumbag wanting to be the richest guy in the world to the purest guy with a halo wanting to end a disease or a war.
this makes for some interesting group dynamics. we have a justifiable reason to put a selfish bastard together with a selfless saint and have them actually work together.
it also means, that our antagonists can be anyone. a golem who wants to be a real boy? a guy wanting to resurrect someone? or kill someone? some guy who wants to be the emperor of the world? a transsexual wanting to change genders? someone who wants some epic curse removed from him? a person rejected from being a wizards apprentice and wishes he could become a wizard? a dwarf who wants to fly? an elf who wants to become a fish for some weird reason? a guy wanting to be immortal? a guy who wishes that his favorite story was real?
possibilities: endless.

Doomboy911
2011-07-14, 10:51 AM
It's not a matter of finding something that hasn't been done but finding something that hasn't been done in a long time.Like my fantasy story is about a man venturing out for revenge the kicker the revenge is incredibly petty but he's going to ridiculous lengths because of who he is. As he ventures out towards the guy he's out to get he sees the affect he's had on the world. It's rare that something like that has been done and if it turns out that a recent story has come out than screw them I still want to write it. You have to try and fall in love with your story.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-14, 11:39 AM
also had an idea for some orc guy that actually got his revenge like any ordinary protagonist....but then felt empty afterwards and is now wandering without purpose, wandering the world trying to find one.

maybe he could be a genie hunter trying to get his wish: namely wishing that he had a purpose?

Kislath
2011-07-14, 02:18 PM
Hyudra, I would totally read a story about Naia the ratcatcher. That's really great stuff.

I also like the idea of a guy who already had his great adventure trying to figure out what to do next.

Rourke
2011-07-14, 03:50 PM
You can use D&D characters as characters in your story. At the beginning, you could write on a set of index cards what you think should, will, or might happen to the characters. If you don't have any specific ideas you can use more generic ones, like "_____ makes a large revelation." When you get stuck, you can draw one at random and see what happens. You may be as surprised as your characters! One last thing-don't be afraid to borrow ideas. Tolkien was not the first one to use a lost heir, nor will he be the last, but he was-and is-an AMAZING author.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-14, 05:09 PM
I also like the idea of a guy who already had his great adventure trying to figure out what to do next.

yea, what happens when the hero already does all the hero stuff? what is left?
what happens to him after the war is over, the enemy killed and all that stuff is already done?

I mean take the farm boy who goes to king: what happens after said farm-boy-king defeats the evil? he ain't gonna be a real good king, cause he's a farm boy

just imagine a kingdom ruled by a former farmboy- sure he would be a good guy, but then there is stuff like politics, he wouldn't know how to deal with that.

and the prince sent off to be raised as a farm boy is worse, as only a crazy king would do it, which reminds me of another idea:

a story where it starts with a prince....but it turns out he was a bastard son of bandits and was only raised a prince to be a distraction for the real prince who was sent off be raised a farm boy by his crazy father-king, the assassin takes the bait on the day the false prince is supposed to come of age and take the crown, thus causing the trap to be set off, the crazy king then sends both the false prince and assassin to jail to wait until they are executed, and the false prince and the assassin escape. they then sorta run from the king's pursuit while said crazy king puts the real prince on the thrown, said real prince starts ruling the kingdom badly.

and from there, I was thinking that the false prince would somehow go on a quest to find a way to bring the magic back, cause its a world where the magic has gone away entirely.

so we have a few ideas:

The False Prince
The Genie Hunters
The Ex-Avenger (what I'm calling the orc who already got his revenge)

Omeganaut
2011-07-14, 08:33 PM
Alright, it seems like your falling into the 'need the most perfect idea ever' trap. While having a good idea is important, sometimes you just need to start writing. Outline your stories, all the way through, on paper or computer although in your head is better than nothing. Start figuring out what works, and what doesn't, and how you need to change things to make everything work. If you like a character, keep him/her, you may want him/her in another story in a small role. Most importantly, Start Writing!

Kislath
2011-07-15, 08:20 AM
LOVE IT!

Hate the whole genie thing, honestly, but love the false prince/would-be assassin buddy flick concept. The true prince is an uneducated dolt wholly unsuitable to be a king, while the fake had the benefit of a lifetime of royal training. Now the fake and the killer have to figure out a way to retake the throne and save the kingdom!
Awesome.

Hey, I can even see the ratcatching elf becoming very useful for this, being handy with traipsing through sewers, some of which run under the castle.

The despondent orc with nothing more to do with himself can also get a new quest here as well, for saving the kingdom just might be interesting enough for him to bother.

Toss out the genie stuff, and this is starting to shape up nicely.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-15, 10:55 AM
yea but once the orc helps save the kingdom, what comes after that for him? the entire point of the orcs character is that many of the goals of fantasy protagonists are ephemeral things that don't translate into any lifelong passion or ambition, they aren't things that you can live your entire life around or do for a living. All he knows how to do, is to fight, and you can only really do that in war.

Doktor Per
2011-07-16, 08:17 AM
When all you know is war, and you've conquered all your neighbors... expand!

Kislath
2011-07-16, 09:26 AM
Hey, there you go. Maybe the current king has been a little less than mindful of his borders over the last several years, if not downright cowardly, and rivals have been whittling away at the kingdom until now it's considerably smaller than it once was, which is a problem because along with that land were lost a few major resources. The orc might be interested in helping the pretender prince set things to right again after the takeover as his new General. That would give the orc something useful to do for years, taking back the lost lands and a little extra, too.

Come to think of it, there are probably a few other people who might be willing to help the fake prince if they think he'll do some things which will benefit them. Oh, yes.... Even more, that kinda goes along with your original idea of the sidekicks all having their own agendas.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-16, 09:46 AM
more like the sidekicks having such agendas causing them to betray the protagonist and subvert the party of heroes cliche that is so common, but this could work as well.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-16, 09:14 PM
have a new idea.

suddenly thought about Tolkien, about Rings. Modern fantasy: all artifacts are like super-weapons that cause destruction and such right?

but Rings ain't about that right? none of the artifacts used in LOTR were weapons or things that caused lots of destruction. They were either The One Ring, which is a thing that dominates minds and corrupts souls, or the Palantir which allows for communication.

Sure, there was something like Sting, but its magical use was to warn when orcs were coming.

all of this has me thinking that its possible to simply make an ancient artifact that does something other than be some sort of super-weapon that causes destruction or something. I mean this should be a "DUH!" thing but for some reason no one has realized it yet.

So I'm thinking maybe some sort of ancient artifact that controls some other force, does something else that sets it apart.
possible ideas:
controls economics/value
a super-musical instrument that manipulates peoples emotions and spirits.
controls other peoples weapons.
controls rain
an artifact that can teleport entire armies
something that keeps making the villain come back to life.

Trazoi
2011-07-16, 10:29 PM
Modern fantasy: all artifacts are like super-weapons that cause destruction and such right?
Really? :smallconfused: Because if I was to think of popular modern fantasy right now I'd think of stuff like Harry Potter, which is an entire universe built around mundane magical artifacts. Not that centering a story around such stuff is a bad idea, but I wouldn't call it uncommon.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-16, 10:55 PM
not the stuff I've been reading....and I've read harry potter, didn't seem that much to me, oh sure they were there, but they didn't really seem important, and at the end there still was the legendary super-wand thing that was said to beat anyone.

but then again I don't really like harry potter. can you give me some example of good fantasy that is based around a lot of mundane magical items that isn't harry potter? cause most the settings I built were ones trying to build a universes with lots of magic and enchanted things to become technology, the story ideas I mentioned, are quite to my annoyance, plots where that stuff doesn't exist, so there is kind of a break here cause I can't come up with any plots for the universes with lots of magic and encha-tech. :smallannoyed:

Kislath
2011-07-17, 09:46 AM
ooh, ancient artifacts. Yummy! These always make fine McGuffins.

Well, a genie lamp would work as one, if for instance the genie it housed was one rumored to NOT screw over the person making the wishes. Such a thing would be a powerful and feared artifact throughout the land, and everyone would want it.
Kinda obvious, since you seem to have a desire for making genies part of your story.
( by the way, I also get a kick out of the idea of an earnest, eager-to-help genie who is unfortunately quite incompetent and terrible at granting wishes without messing them up somehow )

A device that opens a portal to the realm of .. whatever.. could also be nice, depending on what realm that was and what could happen if anyone got free access to it.

A device that could make an exact copy of something else could be very interesting.

Something that would grant the user some sort of fantastic knowledge or ability is always nice. You'd just have to think up something that would be useful to the plot.

Lord Raziere
2011-07-17, 10:10 AM
well I'm more thinking that something like that an artifact that allows you to control other peoples weapons being wielded by the big villain would give you a good reason to write a fantasy protagonist that can't fight at all and has to figure out how defeat the villain without using any weapons whatsoever.

I would call it the Crown of Kirzizix, the man wearing it would be but a simple beggar or other medieval low life, discontent with his lot in life....

Lord Raziere
2011-07-25, 11:55 PM
ok, I still haven't come up with one, but I think I'm on the right track.

screw it. I'll just start writing.

"Hey, I heard of something weird today"
"Yea?"
"Something about a metal, an alloy called Carbiron."
"Carbiron? What kind of metal is that?"
"Oh some legendary metal you see, it said that when you bend it, it moves back into its original form, and that its harder than any blade forged today, that bronze, iron and pyrrav are all weak against it, that you can make blades as long as you are tall out of Carbiron and cut through anything, and that its reflective and shiny as water."
"....You have been listening to fairy tales haven't you? I told you not to listen to fairies, they fill you up with nonsense and false wonders. Next they will be telling you the tales of the Great Metal Dragons that kindly allow hundreds of people to ride them across the sky from city to city."
"Aw c'mon, fairies aren't all that bad, one told me that a guy was picking my pocket and he was right, got me twenty three Miks off of that pickpocket after I was done with him."
"You mean done suffocating him with your Ice Reborn magic?"
"Oh c'mon, that was a mercy kill and the guards agreed, if he lived they would've had to cut his hands off, live the rest of his short life without hands."
"Yea I guess your right...."