PDA

View Full Version : Hunter's Weapons [3.5 Exotic Weapons]

Admiral Squish
2011-07-12, 08:37 PM
Hunter's weapons are oversized, incredibly deadly weapons, designed for elite warriors, and used to hunt terrible monsters. These are the tools of champions, those who tame the wilds to make them safe for mankind. All hunter's weapons require a strength score of at least 14 for light weapons, 16 for one-handed weapons, and 18 for two-handed weapons, to be used properly.

{table=head]Weapon|Cost|Damage|Critical|Range Increment|Damage Type
Exotic Light
Hunter’s Quickblade|500 GP|1d8|18-20/x2|-|Slashing
Exotic One-Handed
Hunter’s Lance|500 GP|2d6|x4|-|Piercing
Hunter’s Gunlance|500 GP|2d6|x3|-|Piercing
Gunlance Rounds (5)| 50 GP
Exotic Two-Handed
Hunter’s Greatsword|500 GP|3d6|19-20/x2|-|Slashing
Hunter’s Hammer|500 GP|4d6|x3|-|Bludgeoning
Hunter’s Longsword|500 GP|3d6|18-20/x2|-|Slashing
Hunter’s Switchaxe|500 GP|3d6|x3|-|Slashing
Exotic Ranged
Hunter’s Bow|500 GP|2d6|x3|150 ft.|Piercing
Hunter's Arrows (20)|10 GP
Bowgun, Light|500 GP|2d6|19-20/x2|100 ft|Piercing
Bowgun, Heavy|500 GP|3d6|19-20/x2|150 ft|Piercing
Bowgun Bolts (20)|10 GP
[/table]

Hunter’s Greatsword (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070721230118/monsterhunter/images/thumb/c/c6/GSuser.png/476px-GSuser.png)
This is a truly massive blade, almost as tall as it’s wielder, with a wide, flat blade designed for immensely powerful chops and swings. When taking a Total Defense action, this blade’s massive thickness works well for it’s wielder, providing them with cover in a single direction.

Hunter’s Hammer (http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/c/c5/HammerUser.png)
This weapon is a fearsome thing, a massive lump of steel, stone, or wood that weighs nearly as much as it’s wielder, if not even more. The hammer’s massive size allows the wielder to off-balance his foes when striking. If you hit with a hammer on a charge attack, you can make a trip attempt as a free action.

Hunter’s Bow (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100725075444/monsterhunter/images/thumb/f/f9/MHP3rd_Bow.png/417px-MHP3rd_Bow.png)
This huge bow is as tall, if not taller than, it’s wielder. The thick, powerful arms of it curve gracefully, and it’s often strung with super-strong cable or a monster’s tendon. This bow fires arrows that look more like shortspears with fletching. This bow deals extra damage on it’s attacks equal to the wielder’s strength score, with no maximum. By taking a full-round action to fire a single shot, that round’s damage is doubled. In addition, the Hunter’s Bow has arrows specially designed to take coatings, a series of alchemical mixtures that allows the wielder to inflict statuses on it’s foes.

Light Bowgun (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8vFN0SnIpzA/TNlZvW0NFYI/AAAAAAAAAEU/nBg4xVGCImo/s400/Light%2BBowgun.png)
This sizable weapon pairs the spring-loaded propulsion of a crossbow with an explosive kick. The light bowgun, in addition to firing standard bolts, can be loaded with a wide variety of special ammunition. You load and operate a light bowgun much the same way you would operate a light repeating crossbow.

Heavy Bowgun (http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/2/20/HeavyBowgunUser.png)
This massive version of the light bowgun is exceptionally heavy, with a powerful explosive blast providing most of it’s propulsion. The heavy bowgun, in addition to firing standard bolts, can be loaded with a wide variety of special ammunition. You load and operate a heavy bowgun much the same way you would operate a heavy repeating crossbow.

Hunter’s Lance (http://images.wikia.com/monsterhunter/images/7/78/LanceUser.png)
This titanic lance is easily twice as long as the wielder is tall. A sturdy, locking joint at the midpoint is usually included, allowing the weapon to be collapsed or folded when not in use. The Hunter’s lance is a reach weapon. This powerful lance’s most deadly technique is it’s charge. By charging with the Hunter’s lance, the wielder deals double damage at the end of the charge.

Hunter’s Quickblade (http://monster-hunter.wdfiles.com/local--files/controls-overview/snsw.jpg)
This incredibly lightweight and quick sword is designed for slicing and dicing. These quick blades are often used either with a small shield for those focused on defense and mobility or in pairs, for those who prefer mobility and offense.

Hunter’s Longblade (http://fast1.onesite.com/capcom-unity.com/user/snow_infernus/0e3fc2797d1e07b7e1719408ca44ac5e.jpg?v=239400)
This extremely long, gently curving sword is clearly designed to cut as deep as possible into the opponent’s flesh. It’s sharp cutting edge and size make it ideal for pure offense.

Hunter’s Gunlance (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100206120634/monsterhunter/images/9/96/Mh3-BrainfoxLance.jpg)
This weapon combines feaures of the bowgun and the lance to create a unique weapon. The main use of this weapon is in melee, stabbing at opponents with it’s bladed point. However, the handle also holds a trigger that allows the wielder to fire rounds stored in the revolving cylinder at the base of the weapon. These rounds are too inaccurate to be used at a great range, but can provide an extra punch to a melee attack. When attacking, the wielder may choose to forego making a normal attack to instead fire a round from the chamber as a ranged attack with a range increment of 20 feet. These rounds deals 1d8 damage+1d6 fire damage. The gunlance stores five rounds in it’s chambers at a time, and requires a full-round action to reload. Any enchantments applied to the gun lance apply to the rounds fired as well. When the wielder makes a successful melee attack, they can take a swift action to fire a round from the chamber as a separate attack. As a full-round action, you may also expend all the rounds currently loaded in the gunlance to produce a 30-foot line effect, which deals 2d6 fire damage for each round remaining in the gunlance. Anyone in this area must make a reflex save (DC 10+1/2 HD+Dex mod) for half damage.

Hunter’s Switchaxe (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/monsterhunter/images/1/14/MH3-Slashaxe.png)
This hulking blade is composed of multiple mechanically shifting parts. When first drawn, it unfolds itself into a huge, axe-like weapon that can deliver devastating blows. However, it also has the ability to activate a built in phial, shifting into a blade more akin to the hunter’s greatsword and applying one of a variety of effects to it’s attacks. The switch axe can be switched into sword mode as a swift action. It can only remain is sword mode for 5 attacks before reverting to axe mode. After reverting to axe mode, it takes one minute to recharge the phial to enable it to switch back to sword mode again.

Phials
The phial installed in a switch axe is fixed permanently, but it costs extra.

Power: This phial coats the blade in a slick substance, allowing the blade to penetrate deeper without stalling due to resistance. This phial increases the switch axe’s damage by 1d6. This phial costs 500 GP.

Exhaust: This phial Fatigues the target who fails their save. This effect lasts for 1d6 rounds. If the target fails a second save against this effect during that time, they are exhausted for 1 minute.

Exhaust Phials:
DC 10: 500
DC 15: 1,250
DC 20: 3,000
DC 25: 5,000
DC 30: 7,500

Poison: This corrosive substance damages the target’s circulatory system, dealing 1d6 Damage/round for 1d6 rounds.

Poison Phials:

Paralysis: This paralytic agent induces involuntary muscle spasms in the target. The target is Paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.

Paralyze Phials:
DC 10: 1,000
DC 15: 2,500
DC 20: 6,000
DC 25: 10,000
DC 30: 15,000

Bowgun Ammo
Bowgun ammo is sold in five-round magazines.

Pierce: This heavy, solid adamantium bolt is honed to a sharp point, and is designed for penetrating even the thickest armor and scales. Resolve an attack with this round as a ranged touch attack that deals damage equal to your bowgun’s base damage.

Pellet: This round consists of a breakable case containing dozens of tiny pellets. The case shatters as it leaves the barrel, releasing a swarm of tiny projectiles. Make a ranged touch attack. If this attack hits, roll 1d12 to determine how many pellets hit. For every fifteen feet the target is away from you, this die size decreases by one (1d10 at 15 feet, 1d8 at 30 feet, 1d6 at 45 feet). Each pellet deals 1d4 points of damage.

Crag: This round deals your bowgun’s base damage. One round after striking the opponent, it explodes, dealing 2d6 fire damage to the target.

Cluster: This round type combines the benefits of crag and pellet rounds. When the round strikes a target as a ranged touch attack, it deals no damage, but bursts into 3 smaller explosive rounds. Each of these rounds deals 1d6 fire damage, and the target may make a reflex save for half damage.

Poison: This round contains a corrosive substance damages the target’s circulatory system, dealing 1d6 Damage/round for 1d6 rounds.

Paralysis: This round contains a paralytic agent that induces involuntary muscle spasms in the target. The target is Paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.

Sleep: This round contains a chemical additive that has soporific qualities, making the target fall asleep on the spot. Sleep lasts one minute, or until the target is attacked, woken up, or otherwise thoroughly disturbed.
Coatings
Specially designed coatings for the arrows of the Hunter’s Bow. Tradition demands they be crafted by the hunter themselves, but they can be purchased from some stores. Craft (Alchemy) DC 10 to produce one batch (ten applications). The base save DC of these dips is 10. For every 2 points you beat the DC 10 craft check by, the save DC increases by 1. Bought from a store, a dip costs 50 GP+10 GP/DC point above 10 for each application. (A DC 15 dip would cost 100 GP. A full batch would cost 1000.)

Poison: This corrosive substance damages the target’s circulatory system, dealing 1d6 Damage/round for 1d6 rounds.

Paralysis: This paralytic agent induces involuntary muscle spasms in the target. The target is Paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.

Sleep: This chemical additive has soporific qualities, making the target fall asleep on the spot. Sleep lasts one minute, or until the target is attacked, woken up, or otherwise thoroughly disturbed.

Power: This dip is slick and greasy, but it allows the arrow to penetrate deeper without stopping, and allows the arrow to deal an additional 1d6 damage.

TheGeckoKing
2011-07-13, 09:48 AM
As a person who enjoyed MH before he lost his PSP charger, this makes me very happy. However, you need to be able to use Wyvern's Fire (http://images.onesite.com/capcom-unity.com/user/yuffie67/img_003442.png) with the Gunlance. That's like, the awesome part of the weapon. Full-Round action for Massive Damage maybe? And maybe a small bonus to AC if you're holding a shield.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-13, 10:29 AM
As a person who enjoyed MH before he lost his PSP charger, this makes me very happy. However, you need to be able to use Wyvern's Fire (http://images.onesite.com/capcom-unity.com/user/yuffie67/img_003442.png) with the Gunlance. That's like, the awesome part of the weapon. Full-Round action for Massive Damage maybe? And maybe a small bonus to AC if you're holding a shield.

I totally had that in mind, but I guess I forgot to work out the mechanics of it.

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-13, 10:34 AM

This made me lol. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3e6Wy19jbo&feature=related)

Admiral Squish
2011-07-13, 11:09 AM
Well, I added wyvern's fire, and I also just realized I need to provide a price for gunlance rounds and then figure out the costs for the various bowgun rounds. Anyone feel like helping there?

TheGeckoKing
2011-07-13, 11:25 AM
This made me lol. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3e6Wy19jbo&feature=related)

Pun was intentional. :smallbiggrin:
Also, you'll love this. (http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Daimyo_Hermitaur) The best part? MH being MH, you CAN attack the giant crab For Massive Damage.

Admiral Squish
2011-07-13, 06:18 PM
Added ammo prices for the weapons, but I still need help with prices for the special bowgun ammo.

I just realized I have a bit of a problem. The heavy and light bowguns fire at the same rate, as it stands. I need to fix this somehow...

Eurus
2011-07-13, 08:53 PM
So you can spend 3000 gold for a DC 70 paralyze phial, eh? :smallamused:

Admiral Squish
2011-07-13, 09:47 PM
So you can spend 3000 gold for a DC 70 paralyze phial, eh? :smallamused:

...I probably shoulda thought that one through...

See? This is the kinda stuff that'll happen if I can't get any help with these costs.

Ashtagon
2011-07-14, 02:26 AM
The descriptions of some of the weapons are obviously meant to imply the weapon is awesomely big (greatsword, bow, lance). But the descriptions are essentially interchangeable with the regular versions of those weapons. A proper long bow was typically about 5.5-6 feet tall (slightly longer than the average height of men back in the day). A typical lance was usually about 14-18 feet -- easily more than your "twice as long as the wielder is tall" -- in fact, a child's toy in comparison to the real weapon!

On a general note, these are much more powerful than the standard exotic weapons. That could be justified given the general lacklustre state of EWP though.

The bowgun breaks the laws of physics, but I'm sure you were aware of that. We cool?

Spiryt
2011-07-14, 02:52 AM
The bowgun breaks the laws of physics, but I'm sure you were aware of that. We cool?

Written as if the rest weren't breaking them.... :smalltongue: :smallwink:

Admiral Squish
2011-07-14, 09:30 AM
The descriptions of some of the weapons are obviously meant to imply the weapon is awesomely big (greatsword, bow, lance). But the descriptions are essentially interchangeable with the regular versions of those weapons. A proper long bow was typically about 5.5-6 feet tall (slightly longer than the average height of men back in the day). A typical lance was usually about 14-18 feet -- easily more than your "twice as long as the wielder is tall" -- in fact, a child's toy in comparison to the real weapon!

On a general note, these are much more powerful than the standard exotic weapons. That could be justified given the general lacklustre state of EWP though.

Well, take a quick look at the pictures and you'll see why the descriptions mark them as awesomely big. These weapons are generally oversized, exaggerated, and over-the-top. While a normal greatsword would have a blade maybe three of four inches across, a hunter's greatsword is essentially a giant cleaver, with a heavy cutting edge followed by a blade some two or three feet across. While a normal lance is an exceptionally long, slender, weapon, the hunter's lance reaches a diameter of some two feet at the base.

And yes, they are supposed to be significantly more powerful than typical weapons. I'm on a campaign to make exotic weapons actually worth the feat.

Yeah, but so do most of these. I reality, nobody could even pick up a hunter's hammer, let alone wield it properly in a fight.

7RED7
2011-07-14, 12:08 PM
I don't know if I'd say the bowgun breaks the laws of physics. The description is a little vague, but it sounds like he's implying it functions like a bolter, as a self-propelled round is being launched from the weapon. The force of the bow can launch the projectile with relatively low recoil. Once airborne, the projectile can activate second stage propulsion by creating an explosion or continuous thrust.

It sounds almost exactly like this...
http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Bolter

Eurus
2011-07-15, 04:38 AM
I would say that Exhaust and Poison phials should be cheaper than Paralyze phials, and the cost should be... not exponential, but on a curve, definitely. Actually, it might be better to just have a handful of pre-set DCs with prices instead of making a formula, because an appropriately balanced formula would be a little complex.

Exhaust/Poison Phials:

Paralyze Phials:

Hmm. Well it's a little better, but I'm not sure. What do y'all think?

Admiral Squish
2011-07-16, 10:21 AM
I would say that Exhaust and Poison phials should be cheaper than Paralyze phials, and the cost should be... not exponential, but on a curve, definitely. Actually, it might be better to just have a handful of pre-set DCs with prices instead of making a formula, because an appropriately balanced formula would be a little complex.

Exhaust/Poison Phials:

Paralyze Phials:

Hmm. Well it's a little better, but I'm not sure. What do y'all think?

Well, I, for one, certainly appreciate this! I'll go edit it in.