PDA

View Full Version : Artist hunting.

Doomboy911
2011-07-13, 12:07 AM
Ok I'm going for the impossible I'm trying to make a webcomic. Can't draw for crap though so instead of quitting I'm hoping to find another person who wants to start up a webcomic for the same reasons I do. To express oneself, to become famous, to make the people laugh/cry/care/think and maybe to earn cash on the side. Right now I won't be able to pay but if our comic becomes popular we'll get our own site and put ads there and than maybe sell books so if there's an artist out there who wants to create comics in their spare time check out my written work the grammar sucks but the heart is there.

http://doomboy911.deviantart.com/gallery/

If you're interested pm me and we'll talk. Look for the cave diary story it's decent along with some of the older stuff.

Domochevsky
2011-07-13, 02:07 AM
I can't help but notice that you didn't include any information about your potential future project. :smallwink:

Doomboy911
2011-07-13, 07:55 AM
Ah the plan would be once an artist is willing to take me on I'd see what he feels most confident in drawing and we could collaborate on the project.

Kislath
2011-07-13, 11:56 AM
Hey, I'd like to get in on this action myself. If this thread should happen to snag any extra artists, I sure could use some help.
At first all I need is a guy floating in empty space, sideways, at least until he invents gravity.

leakingpen
2011-07-13, 12:58 PM
doom, knowing what KIND of webcomic your planning (space theme, fantasy, real life drama series, oots fan comic) will cement interests in artists that otherwise wont take the time to bother to ask.

Doomboy911
2011-07-13, 02:16 PM
How about a dramatic story with fantasy-esque characters set in space? And not a fan comic.

Domochevsky
2011-07-13, 04:53 PM
That ...doesn't sound very appealing at all. Having a "vision" of sorts of what you want to do will probably help. You need to have a plan before you recruit any complices. >_>

Doomboy911
2011-07-13, 06:54 PM
I have many dreams and ideas I'm simply taking my artist into consideration. If he's really good at drawing people we may try for a slice of life piece about what some people I know hope the future will be like. If they can't draw all that well I'd like to do a serious piece of work using the lack of quality as a bit of satire while trying to discuss life and philosophy with a pinch of humour. The fact is I can't really pick a project until I know what the artist can do.

Doomboy911
2011-07-15, 09:42 AM
We appear to have had a misunderstand Kislath thought I was an artist looking for a writer. So any artists still willing please respond.

leakingpen
2011-07-15, 10:08 AM
heh, if you were an artist looking for a writer, you'd be like the only drunk chick at a frat party, EVERYONE would be all over you.

Kislath
2011-07-15, 10:13 AM
That's not what I thought. I was just saying that I could use any extra artists that this thread might find that Doomboy didn't need.

Ah well, no matter; I fear leakingpen might have a good point.

Doomboy911
2011-07-15, 11:39 AM
Hey if I get an excess of artists I don't think I'll share that well.

QuidEst
2011-07-15, 08:53 PM
I have many dreams and ideas I'm simply taking my artist into consideration. If he's really good at drawing people we may try for a slice of life piece about what some people I know hope the future will be like. If they can't draw all that well I'd like to do a serious piece of work using the lack of quality as a bit of satire while trying to discuss life and philosophy with a pinch of humour. The fact is I can't really pick a project until I know what the artist can do.
By the same token, I could say I'm an artist. (I'm not.) You'd have no reason to consider me until I gave you some examples. Why should an artist sign up unless you've got some examples of great ideas? Coming up with content for a webcomic is a lot easier than making it look good (plus, a lot of artists can do it themselves), so it's especially on you to show that it's worth their time and effort. Anyways, just a suggestion.

Doomboy911
2011-07-15, 10:52 PM
Ah so we have an issue I'm unwilling to put out an idea as most artists would say that their talents aren't fit for such a project but they're unwilling to take me on as they don't know if I have an actual good idea.

QuidEst
2011-07-16, 09:36 PM
Well, the problem is that you want somebody to invest hours every week for years (this is what having any shot at money, fame, etc. takes) in an idea that you won't tell them up front. Your ideas may be good enough to merit it, but people won't believe that. Nothing ventured, nothing gained- if you're in earnest about starting it up, give some example mock-ups of the strips. Show some witty dialogue, or use your writing to paint a picture of the setting. Maybe give examples for both the "bad artist" and the "good artist" versions you mentioned. You have to offer something they don't have- which, considering artists tend to be creative, means putting in at least as much work as you expect them to. I don't mean to offend you, just give advice on how to get the best odds of making this work.

Alternatively, you could take the time to learn to draw well yourself, or help artists out with ideas for their work until you find one interested in doing a project with you.

Doomboy911
2011-07-17, 12:41 AM
I've actually taken two of the alternatives. Can't draw that well yet and I helped a friend with a successful story that increased his viewers.

Okay let me dish out an example or two.
If I can work with a bad artist on the cyanide and happiness level than I want to create some simple thoughts about the world and what makes it what it is. If humour can be found than it will be shown. It would just be something to make people think.

If I find an artist working at say Octopus Pie levels than I want to write something lighthearted.

I have provided a link to my works for people to read through so they can see my writing in case they're interested.