PDA

View Full Version : Gardening/Treecare question

Egneil
2011-07-13, 04:55 PM
I have a pear tree growing in my backyard that I planted in 2008. From what I could gather from the internet, it looks like it should be pruned back this winter if I want it to give off fruit. Is this right and if so what should I take off?

If you need any more information ask, but I'll type out everything else I know. From what I could tell it was a five-year graft, and it's around 10-12 feet tall.
I also got some fruit off of it, but they where very small and hard though.

THAC0
2011-07-13, 07:10 PM
I have a pear tree growing in my backyard that I planted in 2008. From what I could gather from the internet, it looks like it should be pruned back this winter if I want it to give off fruit. Is this right and if so what should I take off?

If you need any more information ask, but I'll type out everything else I know. From what I could tell it was a five-year graft, and it's around 10-12 feet tall.
I also got some fruit off of it, but they where very small and hard though.

Not sure, I just got my first peach tree and it's a dwarf so I think they work differently.

Are pears self-pollinating? If they aren't, that might be something to think about...

Egneil
2011-07-13, 07:35 PM
From what I know they aren't self-pollinating, so you need another pear tree within one mile I think? In any case I got some fruit on mine so I figure there's one close enough.

THAC0
2011-07-13, 07:37 PM
From what I know they aren't self-pollinating, so you need another pear tree within one mile I think? In any case I got some fruit on mine so I figure there's one close enough.

Even if there's not, I think you can do the pollination yourself with a paintbrush. Though my friend did say it felt a little weird to be pollinating her zuchinni!