PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Deities

McQ
2011-07-15, 06:05 AM
I've since realized that for technical game rules you should see the RPG forum like 3.5. But for fluff and background story of a campaign, you should come here.

I'm running a campaign based on the Forgotten Realm's Time of Troubles event where the deities of the world have fallen from their godhood to that of an avatar. Many are not humanoid, but do have a connection with their Portfolio, and since their fall, few if anyone knows their name and makes praise. Instead, old traditions are clung to that were meant to worship a deity, and though the purpose is lost, the action is engrained in the culture.

Here's a list of the Gods I and the help of others have done. In it is the avatar form the deity now possesses, what needs to be done to restore the god to a deity status again, who still prays to a god indirectly (by that I mean they have a belief that has a connection to the god) and lastly those that ignorantly pray to a deity and manage to gain some form of favor.

Bahamut
Avatar: A mechanical dragon in the gnomish homeland.
Restoration: Bahamut's divine essence resides within a cog on the plane of Mechanus.
Faith Remnants: Gnomish pilots pray to the "Great Breath" for favorable weather. Gnomish Droids believe in a benevolent "Maker" that protects.
Divine Favor: A festival of air of the gnomes involves flying kites, floating balloons, and firing off rockets; this wind worship grants fair weather.

Boccob
Avatar: A Zeitgeist (Cityscape) library of all magical knowledge.
Restoration: Missing pages of a tome within the library must be returned in and placed in a particular order.
Faith Remnants: Believers in magical energy in all things emanating from and reverting to a divine source.
Divine Favor: There is a tradition to place a particular sigil within a book, library, or place where magic is studied; this causes magical power to amplify.

Corellon Larethian
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Ehlonna
Avatar: Immense glowing trees situated in multiple groves where a spirit of night and a spirit of day spawn from alternating groves.
Restoration: The spirits must be made to meet in one grove/tree.
Faith Remnants: The Isle of Wood worship a "Great Mother" as the giver of life to plants and animals.
Divine Favor: When the seedling sprouts, a newborn is birthed, or Spring arrives, a prayer is made in thanks of the "Great Mother" whom grants a blessing of a healthy life.

Erythnuul
Avatar: Multiple Monsters of Legend.
Restoration: Each beast must be slain, increasing the vicious and veracious nature of each remaining until a final form (Terrasque?) remains.
Faith Remnants: Many barbaric cultures worship a particular beast as their totem, mimicking the ferocity of its' brutality and nature.
Divine Favor: When ferocity and carnage rage within ones blood, nothing will hinder their desire to slaughter everything.

Fharlanghn
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Garl Glittergold
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Gruumsh
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Heironeous
Avatar: A patchwork of crested shields to form one large shield.
Restoration: Retrieving various pieces of armor from legendary heroes of virtue.
Faith Remnants: Knights of the Isle of Steel follow a code of honor dependent on chivalry and virtue. Some humans believe all bad deeds done will be met with retribution at the hands of a nemesis.
Divine Favor: Virtuous deeds done despite fear might receive a Calling to pursue the life dedicated to righteous actions, glory, honor, valor and tempered with a will to face any evil.

Hextor
Avatar: A grimacing mask with intelligence that instills a desire for total conquest upon the wearer.
Restoration: When a Warlord wearing the Mask of Hextor defeats the Jade Emperor and ascends to the Throne.
Faith Remnants: When a General, Warlord, or King triumphs in warfare, trophies of flesh and bone taken in battle are given to Qi Yu, the God of Rain, for continued victory.
Divine Favor: The power hungry enslave the subjugated weak and destroy the obstructing strong, the zealous find their grasp of dominance strengthened.

Kord
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Lolth
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Moradin
Avatar: A colossal statue of metal and stone standing dormant deep within the earth.
Restoration:
Faith Remnants: Dwarves that craft by hand rather than with machinery believe that changing raw material to the final form instill their family heritage; this belief is kept by those that still believe in their creator "The Blacksmith."
Divine Favor: A lifetime devoted to the mastering of a craft will galvanize the hands of the maker to create a relic at the epitome of the items perfection.

Nerull
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Obad-Hai
Avatar: Four massive elementals of Air, Fire, Water and Earth traverse the world.
Restoration: Each elemental must be destroyed to release it's divine essence, but in so doing the destroyed elemental bolsters the other remaining until one final form exists.
Faith Remnants: Many agriculturists worship the seasons and the changing of nature. Witches believe the world's fundamental components are the four elements: Air, Fire, Water, and Earth. Some tribes view the world not as good and evil, but that these concepts are a balance of nature.
Divine Favor: Living in harmony with nature, whether refraining from needless cultivation of natural resources, or a lifestyle within the wilderness, gives some a strong bond with nature.

Olidammara
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Pelor
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

St. Cuthbert
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Tiamat
Avatar: Her body is the massive skeletal remains of a great dragon that encircles of the Isle of Ash.
Restoration: The divine energy of Tiamat has been captured and imbued into the bones of her body, these bones are grafted into many Dark Elves as living armor and all must be returned to restore her.
Faith Remnants: Trolls within the Wilds worshiped a giant sea serpent that was to devour the world, but it was killed by the Dark Elves. Dark Elves believe the remnants of the dragon around their island granted them their immortality but stole their ability to procreate.
Divine Favor: Dark Elves undergo a ceremony where a sliver of bone is placed into the marrow of their skeleton, granting them the ability to alter their flesh.

Vecna
Avatar: A massive fog of shadow and negative energy.
Restoration: Vecna must acquire his True Name.
Faith Remnants: When oaths are sworn, vowing silence of a dire secret, the swearer pledges that their left hand be severed and left eye be plucked if they renege their promise. In the Isle of Ash, flesh can be replaced, and souls recalled, but only memories perish; the noble might have all their lifetimes worth of memories, the servant only one lifetime, and the slave might only retain a single memory; but it is whispered that the shadows know and remember all.
Divine Favor: Those that seek the secrets of others and reveal none of their own, will hear a feint voice whispering in their mind.

Wee Jas
Avatar: Three parts exist of Wee Jas; a red headed girl unaware of her powers, a necromancer woman raising undead wherever she goes, and a red gem of incredible magical power that corrupts.
Restoration: All three parts of Wee Jas must be merged.
Faith Remnants: Witches of the Isle of Salt worship the Goddess as the mother of magic and the loving embrace of death. The Priestess of the Isle of Ash is said to be the divine epitaph of Wee Jas.
Divine Favor: Prayers asked on the New or Full moons are answered. Prayers to ease the dying are given a merciful death.

Yondalla
Restoration:
Faith Remnants:
Divine Favor:

Here are the Gods I haven't finished and some notes on my thoughts thus far about them. Quite a few I have a vague direction, but a general idea of what I'd like to do with them.

Corellon Larethian: Since the elves are now drow, the usual morals and merits of the elf put forth by Corellian no longer are upheld. He would especially despise the treatment of elves enslaving their kin. The closest to "real" elves are the aquatic ones, but they've their own set of deities. Also, there used to be wood elves, but they've all been turned into animal spirits.

Fharlanghn: I just know he'd be some being that travels a lot. His ideals are followed by the Halflings with their flying ships and a desire to explore. I was thinking of a floating island (maybe giant turtle? sorta like in dr doolittle?) or some flying thing that flocks with migrating birds?

Someone in another thread mentioned that Fharlanghn should be a road. I thought the idea was great, but slightly confused about how the restoration process would transpire. I think of Fharlanghn as the road, but not a road that physically exists, instead he transports someone from one road to the next, sending them on a sort of "quantum leap" to different roads all over the world.

Garl Glittergold: Gnomes at present are largely based on a Victorian culture. So they're far more punctilious than they used to be. He might be more free spirited than that? I had an idea to make him a clockwork machine, but that's already been done with Bahamut.

Gruumsh: The 8 Wind Empire is made up of orcs and goblinoids and other monstrous humanoids and is based on Feudal Japan. They have an Emperor that is regarded as their deity; He requires each eight sections war amongst themselves. I could make this guy Gruumsh, but I thought of Him as a Storm Giant first (since the Wind idea)

Kord: I think of his worshippers as being laborers and the working class, mainly in the Royal Lands (loosely based on Revolutionary America/France/England)

Lolth: She's helped steer the ideals of the Elves from the Isle of Ash. Making them more backstabbing, power hungry, slavers and hedonistic.

Olidammara: There was a legendary character I made from the Gnomish World. He's a mix of V from V for Vendetta, Robin Hood, and The Joker. By day he's a clockwork mechanic/engineer. By night he's a thief stealing items in an attempt to mock the upper class; he's known as The Jester. I was back and forth about making The Jester Garl Glittergold. I know I wanted to have Olidammara have that bipolar duality represented in his masks; the frown and grin.

Pelor: I really have no idea about Pelor...there's almost too many options. A healer, a fighter of good, maybe just something of light?

St. Cuthbert: When I think of him I just think of scales. In a few of the human lands, because they are beyond the usual medieval setting, there does exist various judicial court systems. Can't think of much past that.

Yondalla: I mentioned before about Halflings being avid travelers and explorers. They have a central location, but they are away from that often. I thought Yondalla could have something to do with connecting them with home?

Some ideas in any of the categories would be much appreciated.
Here's a link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206311) to the other thread, quite a bit has been discussed there as to what my world is like, but if you have any questions I'll try and fill you in without an excess of paragraphs.