PDA

View Full Version : Wushu d20

cilonrs
2011-07-15, 12:36 PM
Hello friends, my question is quite simple - even beyond my powers

wushu (http://danielbayn.com/wushu/) is a simple RPG system, but with a brilliant idea: the description of the action adds d6 to the skill check (where the DM and the other players have veto power). The more creative your action, more the game rewards you.
The great thing is that it adds flexibility and makes the action scenes much more cinematic.

That said, I like the d20 system. It's simple, concise, and has many things that I like about it.

That said, again, I'm not a great DM, much less a good rules-engineer.

So my question is simple, mechanically as it would be possible to adapt this idea of ​​wushu to the d20 in a balanced way?

Knaight
2011-07-15, 12:51 PM
Adapting everything but the dice could potientially be done, but it would lose a lot of the mechanical elegance Wushu currently has. That said, adapting the core concept of description adding power would be a basic task. Its a question of how much of Wushu you want to keep, and the more that is the worse of an idea converting to a d20 styled system is.

GeekGirl
2011-07-15, 12:55 PM
D20 star wars had Force points or action point in Ebberron. Force points let you use dark or light side, and gave bonus D6 to a D20 check. Action points were a few uses per day add a D6 to a D20 check (before you found out ff you succeed ) or extra uses of daily power (rage, turn udead). You could either allow a set number per day, or have others players and DM vote, if it was cool enough, add a D6 or so to your skill check.

Dr. Roboto
2011-07-15, 01:12 PM
Action points are also used in d20 Modern. They're usually used to add d6 to an d20 roll before you roll the d20, though different class abilities add new uses. You could look to that for inspiration.

Action points in the SRD (http://www.scratchfactory.com/ModernSRD/ActionPoints.php)

cilonrs
2011-07-15, 01:14 PM
Elegance is the word, definitely.

Wushu has a lot of it, and my question is precisely this: how much you should get in to the system. I agree that less is better.

I had not considered the idea of action points / force (with limitations to be defined) but it really is something very organic in the D20 and an efficient solution.

Either that, or I maybe I should just do the reverse engineering, pick the elements that I like the D20 into the Wushu - if anything, I do not intend dming about martial arts after all

gkathellar
2011-07-15, 03:11 PM
Can't be done.

Beyond the "descriptions add power," which Exalted also does in a fashion more like what you would probably see in d20, there's nothing in Wushu that can be adapted to d20 system. Why? Because wushu is systemically built on the Principle of Narrative Truth, and d20 is systemically built on the use of a 20-sided die to determine success or failure.

In other words: Wushu is a system designed to determine degrees of success in a shared narrative. d20 is a system designed to determine success or failure in a pre-constructed narrative. Besides the aspect of describing one's actions to aid in success, they are essentially incompatible.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-07-15, 04:32 PM
EDIT: Whoops. Missed a post.

I think that maybe we shouldn't try to meld Wushu with d20. I think maybe it's more interesting to adapt the d20 itself for Wushu. With a bit of structure.

Which is an interesting thought. Now, the odds won't really be the same, because it's a static die roll versus a dice pool...but I wonder if you couldn't do this anyhow.

But I think you could have a dealie whereby your descriptions...hmm. That's an interesting question. There's gotta be an elegant way to do this. One thought I had is that each detail you describe lets you pick a number from 1 to 20 as a Success Value. Kinda like betting on a roulette wheel.

Hitting the Success Value advances the scene in the way you want it to be advanced, and not hitting it means that things get more complicated. I think this can be worked through...

Knaight
2011-07-15, 08:26 PM
But I think you could have a dealie whereby your descriptions...hmm. That's an interesting question. There's gotta be an elegant way to do this. One thought I had is that each detail you describe lets you pick a number from 1 to 20 as a Success Value. Kinda like betting on a roulette wheel.

I'd keep the general frame of Wushu, while upping complexity towards d20. Allow a multitude of skills in the d20 tradition, perhaps with reduced granularity, in which they add +5, +10, +15, and other multiples of five. Keep the roll and add system, but let the description add rolls, of which the best is picked. Keep some of the trappings of d20 as well, such as HP, Initiative (probably a skill now), and the general format of rounds, but expand the subsystem these exist in to include non combat tasks. Some examples, at their simplest.

Climber: Climbing +15, relevant HPish stat 10, relevant ACish stat 15. Masterwork Climbing Gear 1d8

Tall, Slippery Cliff: Slipperiness +10, rrelevant HPish stat (height) 30, relevant ACish stat 25. Hold Difficulty 1d6

Cliffside Winds: Blowing +5, Power 1d4

Climber Description 1) I climb the cliff.
Roll Climbing with 1 die, add 15, if it is over 25, roll "damage"

Climber Description 2) Mank scurries up the cliff, slipping and struggling with his sweat on the sheer face. His cloak and hair whips around in the wind as he presses himself into a channel, and a single piston slips out of his grip as he fumbles at pounding it in.
Roll Climbing with 4 dice, pick the best, add 15, if it is over 25, roll "damage" 4 times and pick the best.

Winds) The winds just make a normal attack roll, as they are largely secondary.

Cliff 1) The mountain seems to resist your passage as handholds break off.
Cliff rolls 1 die, adds Slipperiness, if it gets over 15 it does damage.

Cliff 2) The mountain itself fights against Mank's climb. Pebbles fall from above and bounce of his head and shoulders, rivulets of water from the last rain drip over his numbing hands as he tries to grip, and the howling winds seem to shake the slippery lichen even under Mank's hand.
Cliff rolls 3 dice, picks the best, adds Slipperiness, if it gets over 15 it does damage.

End) If the cliff runs out of HP, climbing was successful. If the climber runs out of HP, they fall.

BarroomBard
2011-07-21, 08:12 PM
Keep the stats and skills of d20. Cut your stats in half (average range of 4-9, rather than 8-18), but keep the usual modifier.

Each round, you are allowed to describe your actions, a la Wushu. Each detail gives you a die, which are dealt with like in Wushu, except the die is a d20, rather than a d6.

You pick your relevant "Trait", which in this case is derived by your stat plus your skill. Roll the d20's, and any die which rolls under the Trait is a success. For the purposes of this hack, treat Base Attack, saves, and AC as a Trait (don't add the 10 to AC, though).

Otherwise, the game runs like Wushu (Chi, Yin and Yang, etc).