PDA

View Full Version : Battle of Azure City animated

Ashadar
2011-07-15, 04:59 PM
I was surfing through youtube just now and I came over this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySGl5O0cmI&annotation_id=annotation_706544&feature=iv).

This must be the best OOTS animation I've seen on youtube, and since I've worked with Macromedia Flash myself, I bet there was a lot of effort put into it. There are a few inconcistencies but as it's stated at the end of the video, that's showbiz. The animation is done very nicely and the music is fitting.

This deserves more views. Take a look, and tell me what you think.

Esprit15
2011-07-15, 06:02 PM
Looks like it was made in Paint, but the animation is smooth enough that I don't care.

Ashadar
2011-07-15, 06:16 PM
Looks like it was made in Paint.

Actually I'd say it follows the style of the comic perfectly. The proportions match perfectly, even their facial expressions. Saying this animation looks like it was made in Paint is kind of like saying that this whole comic looks as if it's been made in Paint. I'd say for someone who probably doesn't get paid for drawing that he's done a pretty good job.

Squeejee
2011-07-15, 07:44 PM
It looks pretty good overall, save for a few animations that are really blocky.

Also, there are two continuity breaches. See if you spot them!

Lucas
2011-07-15, 09:35 PM
Belkar kills two Hobgoblins inside Azure City limits. The Mark of Justice should have prevented that.

Draconi Redfir
2011-07-15, 11:25 PM
Belkar kills two Hobgoblins inside Azure City limits. The Mark of Justice should have prevented that.

Yeah yeah and a mook was supposed to have tossed V the dropped scroll, Hinjoe never left the city, and a few other inconsistancies. But like the roach at the end said, that's showbiz.

hoff
2011-07-16, 12:46 AM
There is something strange with their eyes but I can't pin-point exactly what. It still is a very great piece of animation though.

Esprit15
2011-07-16, 12:51 AM
There is something strange with their eyes but I can't pin-point exactly what. It still is a very great piece of animation though.

That's the main thing that bugged me. They were too large I think.

Klear
2011-07-16, 04:15 AM
That was really nice. I just found all the text there annoying.

King of Nowere
2011-07-16, 09:34 AM
I think that may constitue a copyrigth violation.
It's nicely done, but it may be illlegal.

EDIT: in case it is illegal, i hope the giant gives permission for it to stay.

Geech
2011-07-16, 10:50 AM
I loved it. Really well done.

Mindfreak
2011-07-16, 10:58 AM
I was surfing through youtube just now and I came over this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kySGl5O0cmI&annotation_id=annotation_706544&feature=iv).

This must be the best OOTS animation I've seen on youtube, and since I've worked with Macromedia Flash myself, I bet there was a lot of effort put into it. There are a few inconcistencies but as it's stated at the end of the video, that's showbiz. The animation is done very nicely and the music is fitting.

This deserves more views. Take a look, and tell me what you think.

I didn't like it. I say they should have gotten someone who was adept at making OoTS style avatars to help them with the animation part, because it just looks horrible. It's a good first try at animation if that's what they were going for.

skim172
2011-07-16, 11:35 AM
I didn't like it. I say they should have gotten someone who was adept at making OoTS style avatars to help them with the animation part, because it just looks horrible. It's a good first try at animation if that's what they were going for.

Yeah, I'm in the "it's not that great" camp. Everyone seems agreed that the drawing isn't great, but the animation itself seemed really choppy and repetitive. And the midi song got annoying.

Still, a good effort, especially as I'm guessing the animator is not an experienced one.

Ron Miel
2011-07-16, 01:13 PM
This is supposed to be an imitation of some video game, right? Any one in particular, or just video games in general?

monkeyboyinc
2011-07-16, 05:24 PM
There was a thread on this a while back which got locked. I'm not sure why this is but don't be surprised if this thread gets closed without warning.
I think the Giant is aware of this and has allowed it to stay.

To the people concerned about the quality, The animator was doing it for a series of videos. I doubt that he would want to take too long making everything perfect.

FujinAkari
2011-07-16, 06:11 PM
I thought it was extremely well done... I am honestly pretty darn surprised that -anyone- doesn't like it, its a glorious tribute and decently entertaining.

If you don't like it, watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1eEJOj_gs) and it'll put it into perspective :P

Mad Mask
2011-07-16, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I'm in the "it's not that great" camp. Everyone seems agreed that the drawing isn't great, but the animation itself seemed really choppy and repetitive. And the midi song got annoying.

Agreed. Frankly, I thought it was mediocre at best. The drawings themselves leave much to be desired and there's little to no cinematographic quality in the animation. The song also doesn't really match the action. I don't see how this is a glorious tribute. :smallconfused:

Thanatosia
2011-07-16, 10:08 PM
Haters gonna hate

I thought it was awesome and amazingly well done, my only real disapointment is it ended so early, I was hoping it would cover the full battle.

Maxios
2011-07-16, 10:09 PM
There was a thread on this a while back which got locked. I'm not sure why this is but don't be surprised if this thread gets closed without warning.
I think the Giant is aware of this and has allowed it to stay.

To the people concerned about the quality, The animator was doing it for a series of videos. I doubt that he would want to take too long making everything perfect.

I made the thread mentioned :smallamused:

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-16, 10:47 PM
its a glorious tribute
Using Rich's artwork without permission, something he has specifically asked people not to do, is a "glorious tribute"?

That aside, I thought it was pretty poor too. The artwork (when it wasn't lifted directly from the comic) was shoddy, the animation was incredibly basic, the soundtrack was annoying... and the constant references to memes and video games? Ugh.

FujinAkari
2011-07-16, 10:55 PM
Using Rich's artwork without permission, something he has specifically asked people not to do, is a "glorious tribute"?

That aside, I thought it was pretty poor too. The artwork (when it wasn't lifted directly from the comic) was shoddy, the animation was incredibly basic, the soundtrack was annoying... and the constant references to memes and video games? Ugh.

I don't think -any- of the artwork was Rich's, it was obviously based upon Rich's, but it all appeared hand-drawn to me.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-16, 11:08 PM
When the elemental hits the wall at 0:33, the hand-drawn soldiers switch to straight lifts from the comic as they fall away. It looks like a similar thing happens with Xykon's dragon later on too, but that one particularly stands out.

Onyavar
2011-07-17, 05:51 AM
Nimrod, you are correct, but the majority (~95% by my estimation) of the animation is NOT a direct copy from Rich's artwork. While this doesn't make it right, the author put great effort in compiling it. And yes, the drawing style+animations are inconsistent, sloppy and still the best OotS animation available online (that I've seen). Then, the video is online since months, if not years. And in the commentary version the video author praises Rich, so it's free advertising.

And speaking about "great tribute" - this video is part of a series that puts OotS as the #2 of online comics, and Sluggy Freelancer as #1. The nerve!
However, I'm expecting someone to argue that #2 is a good position.

Surfing HalfOrc
2011-07-17, 06:17 AM
I grabbed a screen capture of Roy leaping onto the Dragon's back to make into my wallpaper! (Been wanting that ever since Roy made the leap, but was never happy with my own cut and paste efforts)

martianmister
2011-07-17, 06:40 AM

When the elemental hits the wall at 0:33, the hand-drawn soldiers switch to straight lifts from the comic as they fall away. It looks like a similar thing happens with Xykon's dragon later on too, but that one particularly stands out.

No it's not true. They're all hand draw.

Klear
2011-07-17, 06:46 AM
If you don't like it, watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn1eEJOj_gs) and it'll put it into perspective :P

Ow! That... hurt!

FujinAkari
2011-07-17, 07:08 AM

Looks hand-drawn to me. A very good copy, but not a cut and paste. If it IS a cut and paste, for some reason it was cut and pasted, then the size of the eyes was modified :P

Edit: I think the real question is whether the artist drew them based off of Rich's art, or copy pasted and then modified.

The latter is seriously uncool, and considering the blatent similarity, likely.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-17, 08:31 AM
No it's not true. They're all hand draw.
Yes it is, and no they're not.

Your move, Kasparov.

Cizak
2011-07-17, 08:38 AM
Yes it is, and no they're not.

Your move, Kasparov.

It's not a copy. First of all, you can see that the soldiers' mouths doen't look like they do in the comic. Secondly, in the comic you can see the entire head of the soldiers, in the animation the armour overlaps the chin.

EDIT: Seriosuly, compare it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html) Heck, the mouths aren't even open in the comic. The "strings" that tholds their shields to their arms aren't the same colour either. Also The soldierss belts aren't the same colour as the comic.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-17, 08:49 AM
It's not a copy. First of all, you can see that the soldiers' mouths doen't look like they do in the comic. Secondly, in the comic you can see the entire head of the soldiers, in the animation the armour overlaps the chin.

EDIT: Seriosuly, compare it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html) Heck, the mouths aren't even open in the comic. The "strings" that tholds their shields to their arms aren't the same colour either. Also The soldierss belts aren't the same colour as the comic.
It's more than a little odd that the characters switch from the shoddy-hand drawn style to an almost exact copy of Rich's work at certain points. If the maker of this video was capable of drawing at such a level, why did he not bother for the rest of the piece? Smoothly-drawn sprites are no harder to animate than sketchy ones.

As FujinAkari said, it's very likely that the artwork was taken from the comic and then modified. Their facial expressions and colours might not match the comic 100%, but it's still using Rich's artwork without permission.

martianmister
2011-07-17, 12:08 PM
It's more than a little odd that the characters switch from the shoddy-hand drawn style to an almost exact copy of Rich's work at certain points. If the maker of this video was capable of drawing at such a level, why did he not bother for the rest of the piece? Smoothly-drawn sprites are no harder to animate than sketchy ones.

It's really wrong to accuse someone without any real proof. It's pretty clear to me it's not Rich's original artwork, just a poor imitation of its, like the rest of the video:

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn265/martianmister/fakeoots.jpg

Ashadar
2011-07-17, 12:53 PM
wow.. With the risk of angering a lot of people here on the forum... This comic isn't exactly known for it's graphic effects. I have nothing against making the comic with stick characters, the story makes up for it. But seeing people praise Rich about the drawing in his comic seems very exagerated. I have no idea of what Rich's drawing skills are, and i'm not trying to be a critic, but it's obvious he never intended to waste his time on graphics and wanted to focus exclusively on the story.

Sure, he's making a good job at drawing this through stick figures but let's be reasonable here. How could you honestly come here and say someone needs to copy some stick figures from a comic instead of actually drawing them. How long do you think it takes to draw a soldier stick figure for someone with a bit of experience in photoshop/flash.. 2 minutes? Just about as much as it would take to make a print screen, save it, cut the character out of it and then modify a few random features to make it look different? Not to mention that if he copied.. Say.. The dragon, he'd have to waste time and cut the wings off so he could make them into separate movie clips and animate them, when he could have just done that from the start by actually drawing it.

I'm getting the feeling some of the people here are either trolling very hard, or they're just hell bent on defending this comic at all costs. This is obviously not the best animation one could make. You can see it's done by an amateur by a mile, and that's why it's awesome. The man worked hard for this and he doesn't deserve all the hate.

Maxios
2011-07-17, 12:56 PM
Sure, he's making a good job at drawing this through stick figures but let's be reasonable here. How could you honestly come here and say someone needs to copy some stick figures from a comic instead of actually drawing them. How long do you think it takes to draw a soldier stick figure for someone with a bit of experience in photoshop/flash.. 2 minutes? Just about as much as it would take to make a print screen, save it, cut the character out of it and then modify a few random features to make it look different? Not to mention that if he copied.. Say.. The dragon, he'd have to waste time and cut the wings off so he could make them into separate movie clips and animate them, when he could have just done that from the start by actually drawing it.

I'm getting the feeling some of the people here are either trolling very hard, or they're just hell bent on defending this comic at all costs. This is obviously not the best animation one could make. You can see it's done by an amateur by a mile, and that's why it's awesome. The man worked hard for this and he doesn't deserve all the hate.

I, partially, feel the same way. This was a one-man project. He spent hours upon hours making this video to the best of his amateur abilities. Yes, it's not great animation. Yes, it's strange that it makes it seem like OOTs is a videogame. But it is still pretty awesome and does not deserve all of this hate.

Tirian
2011-07-17, 01:00 PM
I don't think -any- of the artwork was Rich's, it was obviously based upon Rich's, but it all appeared hand-drawn to me.

It's not just about the artwork. Dude stole Rich's story, character-for-character and shot-for-shot, and that's just as protected under copyright.

Ashadar
2011-07-17, 01:29 PM
It's not just about the artwork. Dude stole Rich's story, character-for-character and shot-for-shot, and that's just as protected under copyright.

what do you mean by 'stole'? Did he by any chance take the story, place it on youtube and claim the rights to it? No, he clearly states that it's all from the webcomic oots. Copyright infringement wasn't invented for that. Copyright is there so that Rich can take the video off of youtube if he finds it offensive, demeaning to his comic, or if the guy is trying to make money off it. The video is still there even though there apparently has been a thread about this before, so a good guess would be that Rich already knows about it and didn't see a reason to take it off.There's also the chance that the author actually asked Rich for permission.you can't prove me thr contrary.

There was no theft here. Get over it.