PDA

View Full Version : Critters itP

RandomNPC
2011-07-17, 08:30 AM
Hello

I just received a ferret, it's got pale white markings, a light red sheen to the eyes, and is the most kind and playful of its species I've ever seen.

I know what to feed him, and how much playtime he needs, and that the albino look means there's a good chance he's either going, or is deaf (Wikipedia told me so) but I was wondering other things.

I know animals play by scratching and biting, it's what they've got after all, but what other things can you do with a ferret besides letting it run around for a bit, and chewing on you? (This one hasn't tried to bite at all)

And what kinds of critters does everyone else have?

golentan
2011-07-17, 09:18 AM
Pick him up some toys. Ferrets love them their toys. Even better are interactive ones (I.E. you can both play with them). Even something as simple as a soft rope, or IIRC a reflective ball can be fun, as can a big box of newspaper to shred and roll around in (that's what the pair at the vet clinic I volunteer with like to play with the most).

Bhu
2011-07-17, 12:09 PM
http://www.ferrets.org/Caring_For_Ferrets.htm

http://www.pet-care-portal.com/pet-ferret-care.html

Das Platyvark
2011-07-18, 11:22 AM
And what kinds of critters does everyone else have?
I had a hedgehog. He died of Wobbly Hedgehog syndrome.

Marc5567
2011-07-19, 03:52 PM
I have a couple of Ferrets. Crazy little carpet sharks...

Seconding the box of newspapers/old clothes/plastic bags

Mine LOVE plastic grocery bags for some reason. Fill it with air then tie it off, they jump and tackle it, run away if you throw it up, repeat... its pretty cute.

Just be careful and watch them with anything involving the plastic bags, I've never had any problems with it, but you can't be too careful.

They also love it when I take a blanket or sheet and throw it on top of them, then fluff it up into the air, letting it settle back down to them. My white one, Maggie, leaps up at it and dooks like crazy.

My Sable loves squishy things. LOVES them. To the point of a semi creepy obsession. Anything within reach that's squishy will be stolen, and hidden. My ex wives gel handled hair brush, bras, my slippers... Just make sure it's nothing they can tear apart or swallow easily.

They also get a huge kick out of me sliding them down the hallway on the wooden floor. *Dook! Dook! Dook!

Pants or sweatshirts, or anything cloth and tube-like will give them quite a bit of entertainment as they go running in, through, and out of them.

And last, wrestle with them. They are small, but tougher than you may think. Rough them around a bit with your hand, tickle their belly, etc. Pretty much like with a cat. It's how they play with eachother, and its good fun.

General advice:
If it's head can fit into an opening, it WILL get into it. Heck, even some holes that its head can't fit into. They make it fit. lol.

Mine love looking into cups left on the coffee and end tables. This means spills. Watch out for that...

If its young, give it a regular bath, often. If you start them with it early, they'll learn to love it, and play around in the water. Then when their nice and clean put them in a room with carpet and throw some towels on the floor. They run around rubbing themselves on everything to get dry... its adorable.

Other than all that... Have fun and use your imagination! Ferrets are one of the best pets around, cute, lovable, and once you get em all worn out, snuggly. :)

Hope this helps!