PDA

View Full Version : Misc. Homebrewed Creatures(PEACH)(also now in standard 3.5 format)

Togath
2011-07-19, 03:43 AM
This is the first of a few homebrew creatures I thought I would try posting;
Vermilion Hydrangea
Large Plant(spirit)
HP: 116(8d8+80),
Initiative: +0, Senses; Listen +2, Spot +2, Tremor Sense 100ft.
Speed: none
AC: 25(+16 natural armor, -1 size), Attack; Vine +10(1d8+5 & grab),
or Summon Dire Wolf(summons 1 dire wolf which has the following stats; 45HP, AC: 14, Attacks: Bite +11(1d8+10 & trip[+11 to trip])[usable 3/day]
Full Attack; 3 Vines +10(1d8+5 & grab)
Space/Reach: 10ft/20ft.
Special Attacks; Constrict, Shadow Evocation
Special Qualities; DR 10/Cold Iron & Slashing, Swiftness
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +0, Will +6
Abilities; Str 20, Dex -, Con 26, Int 7, Wis 18, Cha 8
Skills; Knowledge[Local] +7
Feats; Spell Focus, Improved Toughness[x2]
Environment: any land
Organization: solitary, or garden(2-3)
CR: 8
Treasure; none, but many vermillion hydrangea have the corpses of their prey scattered about their roots
Alignment: Usually neutral
Advancement: 9-16HD(large), 17-24HD(huge)
Level Adjustment: -

Description; Vermillion Hydrangeas look like blood-red hydrangea bushes about 12 feet in diameter.
Vermillion Hydrangeas understand common, celestial, abyssal, infernal, and draconic, but cannot speak them(though a vermillion hydrangea can recreate them with some illusion spells).

Special Abilities, Special Attacks, & Traits;

Constrict: with a successful grapple attempt a vermillion hydrangea can deal 1d8+10(1d8+ str modifier x2) damage

Swiftness: a vermillion hydrangea can speed up the cast time of a spell by one action type
(full round to standard, standard to move, move to swift, however, swift or faster spells stay classified as swift/immediate), this ability is constantly active.

Spell-Like Abilities:
at will a vermillion hydrangea can use [I]shadow evocation as the spell, but must wait 1d4 rounds between uses(it usually uses this ability to mimic fireball, the stats for doing so are provided below)
3/day a vermillion hydrangea can cast summon monster IV(usually to summon a dire wolf, which I have provided stats for in the below section)
5/day a vermillion hydrangea can cast summon monster III(usually to summon 1d3 wolves, which I have provided stats for in the below section)
A vermillion hydrangea can use the following abilities at will;
ghost sound, silent image, and magic missile
all spell-like abilities possessed by a vermillion hydrangea are cast at a caster level equal to it's HD

Spell Statistics;
Shadow Evocation Fireball; 8d6 or 1d6+29 fire damage in a 20ft. burst, if the target succeeds on a DC 19 will save it takes only 20% of the damage.
Summoned Wolf: 15HP, AC 14, 40ft. speed, attacks; bite +3(1d6+1 & trip[+1])
Summoned Dire Wolf: 45HP, AC 14, 50ft. speed, attacks; bite +11(1d8+10 & trip[+11])

Edits;
Clarified constrict, and added a limit to shadow evocation, 19th of july, 3:55 PM
Fixed error with initiative and reflex saves, 19th of july, 4:01 PM
removed MP system and replaced it with standard casting, 20th of july, 11:42PM

Debihuman
2011-07-19, 08:42 AM
What system are you using? It doesn't seem to be 3.5.

Debby

Togath
2011-07-19, 05:53 PM
Do you mean the MP score and the summon wolf/wolves, and shadowbolt abilities?, the MP score is for a homebrewed magic sytem, and the summon wolf/wolves are the stats for the wolves from summon monster III & IV, while the shadow bolt is fireball cast using shadow evocation, the "usable 3/day and 5/day" parts represent how many times the hydrangea can cast those spells per day using the standard magic system., I have also added a log for the changes to help keep track of changes, took until a moment ago for me to notice I had forgoten to recalculate the hydragnea's initiative score.

Togath
2011-07-20, 03:51 AM
Dragon-Blooded Abomination
Large Dragon
HP: 175(14d12+84),
Initiative: +2, Senses; Listen +12, Spot +9, Darkvision 80ft., Lowlight Vision, Blindsense 15ft.
Speed: 40ft.(8 inches)
AC: 27(+16 natural armor, -1 size, +2 dex),
BAB: +14, Grapple: +26
Attack; *Slam +18(2d6+12, crit on 19+, or Powerful Charge 2d6+12 plus 2d6)
Full Attack; *Slam +18(2d6+12, crit on 19+), and *Slam +18(2d6+12, crit on 19+)
Space/Reach: 10ft./10ft.
Special Attacks; Breath Weapon(30ft. cone of fire, 10d8 or 1d8+37, DC: 23 reflex save for half)
Special Qualities; DR 5/-, Scent, darkvision 80ft., lowlight vision, blindsense 15ft., immune to fire, magical sleep, and paralysis
Saves: Fort +16, Ref +0, Will +4
Abilities; Str 26, Dex 14, Con 22, Int 6, Wis 15, Cha 8
Skills; Climb +15, Intimidate +16, Jump +18, Listen +12, Spot +9, Survival +19
Feats; Simple Weapons Proficiency[all](b), Endurance(b), Power Attack, Diehard, Powerful Charge, Improved toughness[x1], Improved Critical[slam]
Environment: Any land or underground
Organization: Solitary
CR: 11
Treasure; Standard
Alignment: Usually Chaotic Evil
Advancement[/B]: 15-28 HD(large), or by character class
*Include adjustments for the Power Attack feat

This creature looks like a tall man—about 10 feet in height—covered with dark brown scales, instead of a man’s head he possesses the head of a dragon, as he draws close you can smell the scent of brimstone. With a sudden exhalation he breathes forth a blazing indigo inferno towards you

Dragon-Blooded Abominations are the result of failed alchemic experiments on humans by cruel or corrupt cultures such as that of the drow or mindflayers in an attempt to create a powerful and obedient slave army. Dragon-blooded abominations stand about 10-10 1/2 feet in height and are proportioned similar to the humans they once were and are covered in thick dark brown scales and possess a head similar to that of a dragon turtle.

Combat;
A dragon-blooded abomination usually opens with it’s breathe weapon, after which is charges into combat, fighting until slain unless ordered otherwise.
Breath Weapon: A dragon-blooded abomination possesses one breathe weapon, a cone of blue fire, which it can use once every 1d4 rounds.
Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day; Dispel Magic

Dragon-Blooded Human, 1st-Level Warrior
Medium Monstrous Humanoid(human)
HP: 7(1d8+3),
Initiative: +0, Senses; Listen +1, Spot +3, Lowlight Vision
Speed: 30ft.(6 inches)
AC: 17(+5 breastplate, +1 natural armor, +1 light shield),
BAB: +1, Grapple: +4
Attack; Longsword +5(1d8+3, crit on 19+)
Full Attack; Longsword +5(1d8+3, crit on 19+)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks; Breath Weapon(15ft. cone of fire, 1d6+2 ,DC: 12 reflex save for half)
Special Qualities; thick hide, lowlight vision, +4 bonus to saves against sleep and paralysis
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +0, Will +1
Stats; Str 16, Dex 11, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills; Intimidate +3, Spot +3
Feats; Improved Toughness
Environment: any land
Organization: solitary, or squad(2-6), or guard(4-10 & 1 fighter of at least 4th level)
CR: 1
Treasure; standard + NPC possessions; mwk longsword, breastplate, mwk light wooden shield
Alignment: Often Neutral
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: +1
(stats before racial adjustments; Str 14, Dex 11, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8)

Ahead of you stands a tall man, about 8 feet in height, he is covered in thick scales and possesses a dragon’s head. He wears a sturdy breastplate and carries a longsword

Dragon Blooded-humans area somewhat successful result of alchemic experiments of humans by cruel and corrupt governments such as drow or mind flayers, in an attempt to make powerful and obedient soldiers, it worked with the dragon-blooded humans...but only to an extent, many dragon-blooded humans have proven strong enough to escape enslavement and walk the land free.

Combat;
Dragon-blooded humans usually open with their breathe weapon, but other than that they use standard tactics
Breath Weapon: A dragon-blooded human possesses one breathe weapon, a cone of either frost(cold damage), Fire, Acid, Roaring Wind(sonic), or Lightning(electricity),
which it can use once per encounter.

Draconic Traits: A dragon blooded human possesses one of the following traits, chosen when created;
Thick Hide: the scales of the dragon-blooded human are thicker than average and it’s body tougher, granting a +1 natural armor bonus and a +2 racial bonus to fortitude saving throws
Agile Build: the dragon-blooded is quicker than average, gaining a +4 racial bonus to jump, tumble, and climb checks, and a +5ft. bonus to it’s land speed
Dragon’s Claws: a dragon-blooded with this trait gains two claw attacks dealing 1d4 slashing damage, these claws can aid in climbing granting a +2 racial bonus to climb checks
Strong Body: a dragon-blooded with this trait is exceptionally strong, gaining a +2 racial bonus to all str based skill checks, and a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, and a slam attack dealing 1d6 damage

Dragon Blooded Humans As Characters;
+2 to either str, con or dex, chosen when created, -2 to one stat, chosen when crated
Lowlight Vision
+4 to saves against magical sleep effects and paralysis
one of the following traits;
-Thick Hide: the scales of the dragon-blooded human are thicker than average and it’s body tougher, granting a +1 natural armor bonus and a +2 racial bonus to fortitude saving throws
-Agile Build: the dragon-blooded is quicker than average, gaining a +4 racial bonus to jump, tumble, and climb checks, and a +5ft. bonus to it’s land speed
-Dragon’s Claws: a dragon-blooded with this trait gains two claw attacks dealing 1d4 slashing damage, these claws can aid in climbing granting a +2 racial bonus to climb checks
-Strong Body: a dragon-blooded with this trait is exceptionally strong, gaining a +2 racial bonus to all str based skill checks, and a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks, and a slam attack dealing 1d6 damage
Breathe Weapon: A dragon-blooded human possesses one breathe weapon, a cone of either frost(cold damage), Fire, Acid, Roaring Wind(sonic), or Lightning(electricity), dealing 1d6+con damage of the appropriate type in a 15ft. cone, this breath weapon can be used 1/encounter. the reflex saving throw dc for half damage against this breath weapon is 10 + 1/2 the dragon-blooded human’s HD + his con modifier
-Automatic Languages; common, undercommon. Bonus languages; draconic, abyssal, infernal, beholder, elven
Favored Class: fighter or paladin/blackguard
Level Adjustment; +1

Also added a evironment and organization to the hydrangea.
changes;
8:25 PM, july 20th; added favored class and languages to dragon-blooded humans

Debihuman
2011-07-20, 03:44 PM
Homebrewed systems are really hard to critique. It's almost impossible to check for errors without knowing the system and changes.

Sorry, no can do.
Debby

Togath
2011-07-20, 05:55 PM
The main differences from 3.5 are the layout
and the second listing for high damage effects(the base die+the average of the other die rounded down[3.5 to 3, 4.5 to 4], +1), the dragon blooded should be looking a bit better then the hydrangea(I was half asleep when I made the hydrangea), more so now that I have re calculated their HP, I'm planning on using the standard magic system for future creatures, in order to make it easier to critique
edit; I have also started changing the format over to monster manual style format, to make the entries easier to read.
edit #2; Format for the dragon blooded human and dragon blooded abomination is finished
!!!edit #3; I did some calculations and relized the MP system I was going to use for monsters broke around 8th or 9th level(using the system a caster either cast an eccessive number of low level spells or a tiny number of high level spells)so I have removed it from the hydrangea entry.

Togath
2011-07-21, 08:08 PM
Thought I would post another creature now that I'm using a standard format for them

Basan/Bran-Hane
Medium Magical Beast
HP: 22(3d10+6),
Initiative: +2, Senses; Listen +1, Spot +1., darkvision 60ft.
Speed: 40ft.(8 inches)
AC: 16(+3 natural armor, +3 dex),
BAB: +3, Grapple: +6
Attack; Bite +6(1d8+4, or powerful charge 1d8+4 plus 1d8)
Full Attack; Bite +6(1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 5ft./10ft.(with bite)
Special Attacks; Ghostfire Orb +6 ranges touch(3d6 or 1d6+7 fire damage, DC: 15 reflex save for 1/2 damage, useable once every 1d4 rounds)
Special Qualities; resist fire 10
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities; Str 16, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills; Hide +8, Move Silently +8
Feats; Stealthy(bonus), Powerful Charge, Ability Focus(fireball)
Environment: Any temperate land
Organization: Solitary or Pair
CR: 2
Treasure; Standard
Alignment: usually neutral
Advancement: 4-6HD(medium), 7-12HD(large)

This creature appears to be a large rooster about 7 feet in height with green and red plumage

The Basan, or bran-hane(fire rooster), is an odd beast that is commonly found on temperate islands, these creatures hunt by spiting orbs of fire at their prey, and usually attempt to attack their prey from the cover of bushes

Combat;
A bran-hane usually approaches it’s prey by stalking through the bushes, once within about 30ft. the bran-hane opens with it’s ghostfire ability, if it’s target survives the ghostfire it then charges and attacks with it’s beak, using it’s ghostfire ability when it can.

Ghostfire: as a standard action a bran-hane can spit an orb of blue fire towards an enemy, this attack deals 3d6(or an average of 1d6+7) fire damage to it’s target, a DC 15 reflex save is allowed for half damage. To hit with this ability a bran-hane must make a ranged touch attack with the Ghostfire Orb.
A bran-hane can use this ability only once every 1d4 rounds, and has a range of 40ft.

also a note about the creature's name; bran and hane are the German words for fire and rooster, which I thought fit better for when it is used in a standard European setting, basan is the name of the Asian yōkai I based it on, and works better when you’re running this creature in a Chinese or Japanese setting

Debihuman
2011-07-23, 08:39 AM
It looks like the hp for Basan is wrong. It should be 22.

Debby

Togath
2011-07-23, 04:31 PM
Missed that when i copied the layout from the dragon, lol
edit: fixed

DracoDei
2011-07-23, 05:21 PM
Since Fireball is a spell, it might be best to find another name for that ability. Spit Fire, Spitfire, or another variation could perhaps work.

Togath
2011-07-23, 05:29 PM
Edited the basan, I replace fireball with ghostfire orb(the original legend about it described it as blue flame[or at least called it "ghost fire" which is usually described as blue, white, or other odd colors] so I added that bit of fluff to it as well)