PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a Homebrew Race

reptilecobra13
2011-07-20, 05:00 AM
So, in an upcoming campaign, my friends and I will be playing the children of some of our favorite characters from campaigns past. Character creation is going to be fairly easy for most of them, since they're pretty much all human. However, my character is the child of a standard PC race and a monstrous race. She's the offspring of a half-orc father and a frostwind virago (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070713a) mother. My quandary is this: what is fair to include in a set of racial bonuses for her? Typical half-orcs get +2 str, -2 int, -2 cha, plus darkvision. Frostwind viragos (MMV) get immunity to cold, DR 10/cold iron, 60 ft. fly speed (perfect), 20 ft. swim speed, captivating call, frostbite touch, icy vortex, and mind freeze aura.

This is a gestalt campaign, so I'm okay with taking some of these levels as monstrous class levels, but I'm not sure what to make of the combination of them. Any ideas, fellow playgrounders?

Veklim
2011-07-20, 05:45 AM
Easiest thing to do is just reduce the current traits and add them together really. Something along the lines of;
+2 Str, -2 int (ignore the cha penalty I'd say, there's little of the orc left in a hybrid of this type, and all the (Su) saves are Cha based.)
Cold resistance 10
DR 5/cold iron
Fly 40ft (Good) (since this will be more cumbersome and bulky than the FV)
Swim 30ft (because they'll also be significantly stronger)
Frostbite Touch (as standard for FV)
+4 racial bonus on all Cha based skill checks (to replace the captivating call)
Icy Vortex (reduced to 2d6 piercing & 2d6 cold in a 10ft radius)

Unsure about the mindfreeze aura, it's MIGHTY potent, possibly too much so. As it stands above, you're probably looking at 3-5 RHD and about a +2 LA I think....

GodGoblin
2011-07-20, 10:20 AM
I know its not a hombrew option but have you thought about being a Water Genasi? Or even just tack on a Half elemental template to a Half Orc?

Veklim
2011-07-20, 12:36 PM
In all fairness, that makes a lot more sense!

GodGoblin
2011-07-20, 02:35 PM
Im sure there are other more fitting templates too, more to do with the cold and undead side of the mother, ill have a look over the Crystal keep archive

reptilecobra13
2011-07-21, 05:06 PM
Easiest thing to do is just reduce the current traits and add them together really. Something along the lines of;
+2 Str, -2 int (ignore the cha penalty I'd say, there's little of the orc left in a hybrid of this type, and all the (Su) saves are Cha based.)
Cold resistance 10
DR 5/cold iron
Fly 40ft (Good) (since this will be more cumbersome and bulky than the FV)
Swim 30ft (because they'll also be significantly stronger)
Frostbite Touch (as standard for FV)
+4 racial bonus on all Cha based skill checks (to replace the captivating call)
Icy Vortex (reduced to 2d6 piercing & 2d6 cold in a 10ft radius)

Unsure about the mindfreeze aura, it's MIGHTY potent, possibly too much so. As it stands above, you're probably looking at 3-5 RHD and about a +2 LA I think....

I've been talking it over with my DM, and we're going to use this as a basis. Thank you so much! :smallbiggrin:

Veklim
2011-07-22, 07:55 AM
Glad I could be of service! :smallbiggrin: