PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 PrC]Arcane Dabbler[PEACH]

Tyndmyr
2011-07-21, 06:53 AM
Arcane Dabbler

Bards, Wizard, Sorcerers, and more unusual classes all sometimes elect to become an Arcane Dabbler. Not every moment of the day need be spent in unlocking the deepest mysteries of the universe, and the Arcane Dabbler understands the value of the little things.

Hit Die: D4

Requirements:
Alignment: Any

Skills: 8 ranks Knowledge:Arcana, 8 ranks Spellcraft, 2 ranks Slight of Hand.

Special: Must be able to cast arcane spells.

Class Skills: Bluff, Concentration, Craft(any), Decipher Script, Disguise, Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge(Local), Profession(any), Slight of Hand, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.

Skill Points at each Level: 2 + Int

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Broad Repertoire(1), Additional Tricks, Cantrip Proficiency|+1 level of existing arcane class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Broad Repertoire(2), Additional Effect| +1 level of existing arcane class

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Broad Repertoire(3), Tireless Performer| +1 level of existing arcane class

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Broad Repertoire(4), Knowledgeable Performer|+1 level of existing arcane class

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Broad Repertoire(5), Cantrip Mastery|+1 level of existing arcane class[/table]

Broad Repertoire: At each level, the Arcane Dabbler gains another cantrip or orison known from any spell list. Treat the newly gained spell as an arcane cantrip of his spell list. If he has casting from multiple classes, he must choose which list each cantrip is added to.

Additional Tricks: The Arcane Dabbler now gains bonus cantrip slots/day equal to his first level bonus slots/day + his Arcane Dabbler level.

Cantrip Proficiency: The Arcane Dabbler now adds his Arcane Dabbler level to the save DC for his cantrips.

Additional Effect: Whenever the Arcane Dabbler casts a cantrip, all numerical effects are increased by 2.

Tireless Performer: The Arcane Dabbler gains Prestidigitation as an at will SLA.

Knowledgeable Performer: All cantrips benefit from the effects of Signature Spell, even if the Arcane Dabbler does not possess the feat. In addition, the Arcane Dabbler gains Eschew Materials as a bonus feat.

Cantrip Mastery: Whenever casting a spell of first level or higher, the Arcane Dabbler may also choose to simultaneously cast a cantrip he could otherwise cast, without expending additional actions or spell slots.

Design notes: The image of the arcanist who can impress and amaze with minor tricks, or who can add little touches of customization to his spells is an extremely common one in fantasy, yet cantrips are surprisingly limited, lacking even bonus spells/day. This is meant to be a short, fun class, that offers more in flavor than in power(though any full casting class isn't a great loss).

JoshuaZ
2011-07-21, 09:15 AM
Hmm, I've seen PrCs that try to focus on cantrips before. Overall, this one seems well done. (Incidentally, I do know some people who give bonus cantrips in the obvious way which helps a little bit).

One thing that does slightly worry me is that the very high increase in save DC could make the cantrips potentially quite cheesy with the right metamagic (say Fel Drain.) But overall this seems balanced.

Edit: You may need to clarify what you mean by all numeric effects being increased by 2.

Benly
2011-07-21, 09:24 AM
This is a nice class - straightforward, some fun benefits but unlikely to be gamebreaking. My only concern is stylistic: Versatile Performer is also the name of a published feat, so you might want to change the name of that ability a bit to avoid confusion. It's not really a big deal, though.

Alefiend
2011-07-21, 10:11 AM
I realize this is for 3.5, but did you know that in Pathfinder, cantrips are already unlimited uses per day?

Tyndmyr
2011-07-21, 11:35 AM
This is a nice class - straightforward, some fun benefits but unlikely to be gamebreaking. My only concern is stylistic: Versatile Performer is also the name of a published feat, so you might want to change the name of that ability a bit to avoid confusion. It's not really a big deal, though.

Good call, I try to avoid duplicating published abilities unless duplicating the exact effect. I'll swap it out.

Alefiend...I thought about taking that route, but it struck me as possibly problematic. 3.5 has more cantrips than PF, and a greater number of options for them. A few more cantrips with a bit more oomph isn't going to cause any problems, but the word "infinite" has a way of leading to interesting possibilities, even if mostly TO in nature.

That said, at will prestidigitation, bonus cantrips, and free cantrips when casting other spells is already quite a lot of cantrips. I'm not sure that running out will be a great issue.