PDA

View Full Version : AvB - The plain man

Pages : [1] 2 3

Monodominant
2011-07-22, 08:06 AM
Thamolas and DM only. All others will be given thrown in a vat of Dragonbile.

When he reaches King's Causeway which bridges the river from the city to the Docks he sees something like this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/05/St_Michaels_Mount_from_the_Causeway_-_geograph.org.uk_-_167799.jpg)

The "bridge" is a lot larger though and with a gatehouse on each end.

thamolas
2011-07-22, 09:26 AM
"Impressive," Otto says to himself.

What is considered to be the "fortress" itself?

Monodominant
2011-07-22, 11:06 AM
The fortress is the large military style castle on the island. It seems to have seen better days as an actual army stronghold though now mostly used for administrative work and the headquarters of the City Guard.

thamolas
2011-07-22, 02:37 PM
Otto walks in and looks around for wanted posters and an adminstrator.

Monodominant
2011-07-22, 09:26 PM
As he reaches the end near the actual Fortress two guards step outside. One of them has a sergeants stripes and he walks forward while the other takes a posture not so much aggressive as ready.

"Halt. State your name and your business."

thamolas
2011-07-23, 12:40 AM
"Some call me Otto and my business is justice. I am here to examine the bounties offered by the city of Aldhaven. You can guess my profession if you like."

Monodominant
2011-07-23, 05:22 AM
The guards eye you suspiciously but he nods and moves to the side to let you pass.

"I hope you mean you are not just curious and nosy. Also know that we dont allow for vigilantism. All wanted men of the city are to captured alive or you fail criminal charges yourself... you may enter. There is not as much a board with wanted men and we dont do bounties but there is Sergeant Irena who keeps tabs on who we "have got" and who we havent got..." he informs you.

thamolas
2011-07-23, 01:45 PM
This world is like an administration-heavy 1980's (structurally) with fantasy window dressing and medieval/renaissance tech. Is Riz an accountant in real life? :smallconfused: Aldhaven looks like it might be more fun to play as a text business sim - I'll try that with the next character, I guess.

I'm not sure what this sentence means: "All wanted men of the city are to captured alive or you fail criminal charges yourself."

"Everybody taken alive? Well isn't that nice. You should buy the criminal scum candy while you're at it."

Otto locates Sergeant Irena and greets her.

I think I am piecing together an interesting administrative goal for this character. :smallbiggrin:

Monodominant
2011-07-23, 06:54 PM
The world in my opinion borrows heavily from Eberron. Eberron is very bureaucratic and all though here magic is common but its not as if the city runs on magi-tech...

Things are just very structured.

As for the comment... morning after hangover does that to you.

What the guard means is that because they dont vigilantes there are no wanted dead or alive posters. There are only wanted -alive- posters. Bringing the corpses of a dozen criminals and saying look how cool I am I killed these people now reward me does not work in Aldhaven. Brining a dozen of them tied out and or unconsious does...

This doesnt mean you are not allowed to use self-defense but it also doesnt mean that the passer-bys that are brought as witnesses will agree that it seemed as self-defense.

"You got it wrong citizen. YOU can only take them alive... you being a citizen. The Guard is authorised to use lethal force if deemed necessary, you arent... Some of the city's noble houses may also have permission to use lethal force but that is not as common..." he says before returning to his post.

You are directed by a clerk to a small office on the first floor of the Fortress. It is a gym and a self-defence class seems to be going on when you enter.

You see a woman with sergeants stripes on her uniform showing diffrent fighting techniques to a large amount of cadets, most of them male.

Greeting her would mean stopping the class.

thamolas
2011-07-23, 08:37 PM
So there are rewards offered for bringing in criminals alive? Posted?

Things are just very structured.

What the guard means is that because they dont vigilantes there are no wanted dead or alive posters. There are only wanted -alive- posters. Bringing the corpses of a dozen criminals and saying look how cool I am I killed these people now reward me does not work in Aldhaven. Brining a dozen of them tied out and or unconsious does...

I understand making less realistic/thematic choices for the purpose of preemptively curving cheesy combat monster characters (which certainly doesn't describe my character, fwiw). But when these choices are made, it would be nice to have them listed somewhere. I wanted to make a bounty hunter character, but I didn't know that bounty hunting was made unrealistic. If I had known, I would have given my character non-lethal options (exotic weapon feats, rope use, and "capture" weapons like bolas and nets as well as special nonlethal gear like manacles and such). Excessive structure is fine, but when it defies common logic, it would be nice to be made aware of it ahead of time.

Otto waits until she finishes.

Monodominant
2011-07-24, 04:15 AM
Join the guard today. You get a studded leather armor, halberd, longsword, wooden shield and a uniform and all the grub you can eat... and you can kill criminals.

PS>
There is another reason that criminals are wanted alive...

After another 20 minutes she is done and after exchanging a few words with the students you saw were the most talented she turns to look around and sees you looking at her.

She approaches slowly and you can take in her characteristics. She is in her late twenties, well built and athletic, long blonde hair in a ponytail and a scar just above the left eye.

"How may I help you citizen?" she asks as she arrives next to you.

thamolas
2011-07-24, 08:44 AM
Actually, joining the guard isn't a bad idea. :smalltongue:

"Nice scar... Initially, I came here intending to ask you for a peek at the 'at large' list; but now, after seeing you in action, I want to sign up."

Monodominant
2011-07-24, 09:03 AM
"You want to sign up? In the guard? Interesting..."she says as she stands in front of you putting her hands behind her back.

"Do you realise you have to receive two weeks training and then you are assigned to a squad. You start as a private or corporal if you have any particular tricks or techniques and education. If you are interested about criminals in particular I am leading a task force of semi-indipendent detectives that look into such matters..." she says and pauses.

"That doesnt mean off course that you get into that group just like that. It means its an option..."

For the record the 2 weeks can pass in a descriptive post if you want them to and if you want to go through with this... timeline in AvB is relative and follows the speed of PLOT.

thamolas
2011-07-24, 08:59 PM
"I would very much like to serve the city in the guard. And I would be honored to be able to audition for your detective group whenever and however you would like to evaluate my ability. Thank you."

Whatever you think is appropriate. :smallsmile: This could go in a very fun direction. I'm intrigued!

Monodominant
2011-07-25, 01:03 AM
She looks at you with a degree of appreciation.

"Very well... Follow me, I can talk to a recruiter on your behalf and we can expedite the procedure. I take it you are new to the city otherwise you would know that in order to join any goverment organisation you should be either a Freeman, a Landowner or vouched for by one of them. As this would take a week until the next council meeting is held I am going to ask the recruiter to cut the red tape since I will be the one vouching for you..."

As she talks she leads you back to the ground floor to the eastern wing of the Fortress, here you see many more young people in a slow stream roaming about some of them looking lost.

Eventually you arrive before a door with a que of about 15 people. The woman motions you to follow her and jumps the que despite some angry murmurs which she silences with a penetrating stare.

"So last chance to see the error of your ways and pull back..." she says with a grin before entering the recruiters office.

thamolas
2011-07-25, 07:48 AM
"Thanks for vouching for me," Otto says an returns the grin.

Monodominant
2011-07-25, 08:56 AM
" No problem. You owe me one." she says and smiles as you approach the burly man also with sergeants stripes sitting behind the desk in the room.

" Good afternoon Christopher. This young man wants to sign up... he has managed to pick my interest so we can skip the usual red tape to stall the idiots and the impressionable and have him fill in the paperwork and send him along the process okay?"

"Whatever you say Irena. But lets say you owe me one" says the man pushing aside what he was working on and reaching for a form.

"No problem. The young man here owes me one so lets say he now owns you one instead." she says as she leans against the wall and waits for you to go through the form.

"I'm good with that... so what's your name new fish?" asks the recruiter as he gives you a pencil and the form.

The form itself is fairly simple. It asks for your personal information including if you have a permanent address in Aldhaven, next of kin in case of death during the training, criminal record etc... There are a few probing questions about having ever worked for the Empire of 7 Dragons but other than that its pretty simple to complete.

thamolas
2011-07-25, 09:35 AM
Otto smiles during their banter.

"Otto... Otto Dornigan."

He fills out the paperwork quickly.

Monodominant
2011-07-25, 09:52 AM
Do you answer all questions truthfully?

The man nods and offers you his hand as he takes the form.

"Christopher Nerets. Or rather Sergeant Nerets to you new fish" he says but you dont detect any derision in his voice rather a more relaxed attitude.

"So, Otto. Do you need anything done before you join or do you have any questions? This is your last chance to deal with any affairs before joining. For the next two weeks you will live, sleep, eat and train in the Fortress facilities along with other Guardsmen recruits. At the end of the two weeks you will pass an assessment checking your capabilities and where you will be placed and then you take your oath and become a full member of the Guard" says Irena leaning forward again.

thamolas
2011-07-25, 10:05 AM
Sure. It is more beneficial to be honest at this pont.

"Sergeant Nerets," Otto confirms with a nod.

"I'm ready," he says to Irena.

Monodominant
2011-07-25, 12:01 PM
The man nods to Irena and she smiles.

"Well in that case you are of my hands. Christopher is gathering this batch of recruits and will sent you to the Drill Master. So, Otto, make sure you dont fail it. Place high in your class, prove you are worth a corporal's stripe and I may consider you for my team. And keep in check to whom you owe. We operate alot with a favor economy in the Guard... its almost as important as money." she says and shakes your hand once again.

" 'tis so" says Christopher "... and you are already down one. But dont worry, just get out and turn left. Wait by the benches, I only have cleared two more people from this lot... I will see who comes through these doors and select two more for your squad and that will be it. I will send Corporal Reyson to pick you up and set you up in the barracks in a little while." he says and calls out

"NEXT!"

thamolas
2011-07-25, 12:12 PM
"I owe Sergeant Nerets one," he says to Sergeant Irena. "But I will work to prove my worth to you."

"Yes, sir," he says to Christopher, nods, makes his way to the bench, and waits for Cpl. Reyson.

Monodominant
2011-07-25, 12:24 PM
You do indeed see two more young men waiting on a bench on their own. They seem pleased with themselves but for now they stay quiet as you join them.

Approximately 10 minutes later a young woman also joins your group and you see one of the other two raise an eyebrow. Finally 25 minutes later, and after seeing many hopefulls leaving, a young tiefling boy of no more than 18 years of age also joins giving polite nods to all of you.

A couple of minutes later a middle aged dwarf wih greying hair turns around the corner and looks at all of you.

"GET UP MAGGOTS! YOU THINK LOUNGING IN A BENCH LOITERING IS WHAT BEING IN THE GUARD IS ALL ABOUT?" he screams at the top of his voice sending the girl and the tiefling on their feet in a split second. The other two men slowly rise at attention.

"YOU! WHATS YOUR NAME!" he yells and points a finger at you.

thamolas
2011-07-25, 12:36 PM
"Dornigan, sir!" Otto replies and stands at attention.

Monodominant
2011-07-25, 12:57 PM
The Corporal nods in appreciation of your quick manner and turns his inquisitive look at the two others.

"And you LADIES? You think you can ease up when an Officer approaches? I will break your legs next time it takes you more than two seconds to get to your feet and snap a salute!" he calls out.

You see that one of them indeed snaps to attention while the others gets an annoyed look and looks at the dwarf with some disdain.

"So! Call out your names! Dornigan here has already gifted us with his pretty name. How about you boy?" he asks the Tiefling.

"Nathan Sir! No last name Sir! Just Nathan Sir!" the youth calls out. The dwarf raises an eyebrow and moves his gaze down the line.

"Surini Sir! Karin Surini!" she calls out also standing to attention.

"Giacomo Sir!" calls out the man that was scolded and snapped to attention.

"Erik, Erik von Styrm" says the last on the line with perhaps a bit too much satisfaction.

For just a second the dwarf seems taken aback but he rallies quickly.

"Very well then Maggots. I am Corporal Ulf Reyson but you can call me God. For the next couple of weeks, three for those of you who will be given a corporals stripe, we will work together. I demand of you nothing less than a dogs obedience and determination... if all goes well you will all get your uniform and end up being proud members of the City Guard" he says loudly and he turns to move out.

"Now follow me! I will take you to your barracks. Pay attention that you will be in the same room as older members of the Guard. You ARE NOT to interact or fraternize with them. Older recruits tend to play games with new fishes like yourselves and though not official Seniority is automatically considered to give precedence..."

You do indeed after a couple of minutes arrive in a large spacious room. Dozens of bunk beds are set about each made from fine wood and with a decent mattress and beddings. There are two small chests set at the bottom of each bed.

"Today there is nothing more. Take some time to get to know each other, follow the crowd to the mess hall when you see them leaving and select empty beds next to each other. Back there..." he says and points towards the eastern corner of the room "...there are usually free beds since in the winter the fireplace doesnt reach and people freeze. But you should be okay for the next couple of months... Stay together and learn to trust each other, you are all you have. I will be back on first light so that we start your training. ANY QUESTIONS?" he screams as he finishes.

thamolas
2011-07-25, 01:08 PM
"No, sir! Good evening, sir!"

When the dwarf leaves, Otto makes small talk with the other recruits.

"Where are you guys from?"

thamolas
2011-07-26, 04:23 PM
Time to run off and get boozy. Hope to see more in this thread later. :smallbiggrin:

Monodominant
2011-07-26, 05:57 PM
Sorry I guess I missed the update on this one! Still we made some good progress ;)

Nathan and Surini are both from the city. They actually know each other as they grew up in the same neighbourhood in Old Town.

Giacomo is from Brunsgrove one of the City States allied with Aldhaven. He says he actually came to the city a few days ago with the purpose of joining the Guard.

Erik is not as open as the others. When his turn comes to share he looks at all of you with some distate and simply says "I come from the Noble's Quarter" and then starts unpacking his things having already chosen one of the few single beds.

Nathan and Surini end up picking one of the bunk beds and you end up with Giacomo.

"So you'd rather have top or bottom?" he asks

thamolas
2011-07-27, 02:33 AM
ha ha I'm so drunk I can barely move. :smalltongue:

"Top!" Otto says to Giacomo before hitting the hay.

Monodominant
2011-07-27, 02:43 AM
The night passes uneventufully and you sleep like a brick, the events of the day having physically and mentally tired you.

You are woken up rudely while its still dark.

"WAKE UP YOU SLEEPING BEAUTIES! THE ROOSTER ALREADY WENT AND CLACKED FIVE TIMES" the voice of your new Corporal assaults you as your bed is forcefully rocked.

thamolas
2011-07-27, 09:34 AM
Otto hops out of bed and stands at the ready for what happens next.

Monodominant
2011-07-27, 09:47 AM
Okay so here comes the question as this is entirely up to you...

Do you want to roleplay the training?

Roleplay 2-3 events,
Roleplay it day by day
Roleplay the "graduation" and the additional training
or
Just skip the first two and the other week and jump right back on the action with you being a guardsman?

thamolas
2011-07-27, 10:32 AM
I think we can safely handwave it up to the graduation. Let's junp ahead.

Monodominant
2011-07-27, 11:30 AM
The days pass quickly.

You wake up every day at six just before first light and are taken to the mess hall where you and three dozen other Guardsmen are eating breakfast. You are then taken to the training grounds in the inner courtyards of the Fortress and pass through physical training for many hours. In the afternoon you are taken to a large amphitheater where you are taught Aldhaven law as well as how to do your job properly as Guardsman.

Though the indoctrination creates a sense of belonging to all of the new recruits it is not as if you are brain washed. There are frequent pranks between groups of recruits but nothing too malicious or hurtful.

The three weeks pass and you are given a provisionary Corporals stripe. You realise quickly that this is merely a formality since more than 80% of corporals in the ranks are senior to you and hence officers defer to them and expect you to follow orders.

It is the day of your "graduation" and your group as well as two more have gathered together in an large meeting hall.

Other guard members including Captain Josua, the master of recruits, and sergeant Nerets have also gathered and are watching the ceremony.

As the minutes pass and everyone grows quiet a man in practical yet ornate armor enters the hall and all senior Guard members rise.

You hear people whispering around you.

"Its Lieutenant Commander Deritus, second in command of the City Guard!"

thamolas
2011-07-27, 12:17 PM
"This is a nice surprise," Otto whispers along and watches.

Has there been any contact with Irena during the training period?

Monodominant
2011-07-27, 12:55 PM
Indeed there has been. She approached you and Erik as you were the first to pass all physical and mental tests with honors. It was during the time that you were given a studded leather armor of masterwork quality, a large steel shield, a masterwork halberd, a long sword, a special whistle, a small lantern and bell and finally a pair of manacles.

She told you that after your ceremony you should seek her out. There would still be a test before you could join her team but overall she though that both of you would be a good fit.

Overall throughout this time you have made the following observations.

Erik has been becoming more and more obnoxious. His obvious high skill and competence level only aids in feeding his superiority complex and his noble background makes things even worse. Still he seems to have developed a weird sense of respect for you because of your talents.

Giacomo is just average. He tries hard but he is just not the sharpest tool in the box.

Surini and Nathan are good Guardsmen and their incite in the local communities gives them an edge often enough. You are under the impression that something is going on between them on a personal level, much to the annoyance of both Giacomo and Erik. Another thing you notice is that Nathan seems to be fairly paranoid always complaining that he ends up being punished the most, asked to do the worst duty hours etc.

All these recollections are cut short as the Lt. Commander addresses all of you. He gives an inspiring speech and then calls your names one by own alphabetically. Once on the podium he shakes each one's hands and presents you with your badge and an official stripe to add to your uniform. You realise that despite him having never seen any of you before he gives an individual comment for every one of you and it is actually a valid one.

As the ceremony finishes and you are filling out you see Irena push against the wall she was standing and approach you and Erik.

thamolas
2011-07-27, 02:43 PM
"Good to see you, Sergeant."

thamolas
2011-07-28, 01:34 AM
I assume they gave us guard tabards (uniforms).

Monodominant
2011-07-28, 02:49 AM
You assume correctly ;)

They also gave you 1000xp as story award for going through the process and joining the guard etc.

You also get a +1 circumstance bonus on Knowledge Local check pertaining the Guard, the structure it has etc.

A similar bonus will become available regarding criminals/gangs etc if you manage to enter the special strike force.

You also gain 6 gold coins as half pay during your training.

The normal salary for a corporal is 4 gold a week as you are given free stay and food in any precinct your are assigned to as part of the benefits and free healing if you are injured during your duty hours.

"Likewise Corporal. And congratulations. To cut a long story short I have spoken with the Captain and your squad is going to be given to the Mage's Quarter precinct after Erik's father recommendation. You need to spend a few days there, learn the beats that you are assigned before I can requisition you for my team. Keep your heads down and your noses clean while there, do your duty and know that everything you do will be monitored and counts as part of your test..." she says and looks at the both of you once again putting her hands behind her back.

" Are there any questions? If not I would go about my duties if I were you..." she says and grins.

thamolas
2011-07-28, 09:20 AM
"We'll report there right away, Sarge. Good night."

Otto turns to Erik.

"The Mages' District, eh? Nice going, partner."

Monodominant
2011-07-28, 10:05 AM
"You are right to thank me. My father knows that if we ended up patrolling the Old Town we would end up dead sooner or later and from the other districts few ever get to do something that is seen. Mage's Quarters may not have alot of exciting crime but all the influential people that are not in the Noble's Quarter are found there..." he says and smiles.

Irena departs and you are all gathered by the Fortress entrance.

Your old Corporal approaches your group and smiles.

"Well done all of you. I am proud of having been your instructor. Now of with you. You have the rest of day as well as tomorrow off, you are to report to Lieutenant Emerik at 8 o'clock the day after. And dont be drunk!" he says sternly as he pats Giacomo on the back and shakes all of your hands.

thamolas
2011-07-28, 11:01 AM
"Thanks, Corporal Reyson! ...Where would you go to blow off some steam, if you were us?" Otto laughs and makes a 'nudge nudge, wink wink' gesture.

Monodominant
2011-07-28, 12:52 PM
"Well... when I was a young dwarf I had visited Old Weavers in the Old Town... there are all kinds of entertainements going on in there... Its a bit exclusive though..." he says and pauses.

"These is also House Erouse in Midtown. Alot of Watchmen end up there for their after-shift drinks..." he says and smiles.

thamolas
2011-07-28, 01:17 PM
"House Erouse sounds good - hard for us to get in trouble there..." Otto smiles and nods at his comrades before speaking again to Ulf. "Are these places extra happy to have us around?"

Monodominant
2011-07-28, 04:32 PM
His sense motive is pretty high but mine isnt... what would an italicised extra happy to have us around mean and which places does he refer to House Erouse or...?

thamolas
2011-07-28, 05:42 PM
In real life, policemen often get perks from businesses because they're happy to have police as customers. Discounts and freebies are pretty common in a lot of places to encourage an added security presence. After all, giving away free coffee/donuts/beer/pickles/etc is cheaper than hiring security guards, even if they already have a security guard or guards present.

Monodominant
2011-07-28, 05:46 PM
Got it! I thought you were alluding to sex or something to that effect!

"Well off course they do in House Erouse! We practically run the place. The owner is an ex-Guard, his wife is an ex-Guard and his son and daughter are IN the guard... alot of funny stories in that place... an old gang actually tried to rob it once... they got a really nasty suprise I can tell you that..." he says with a grin.

"As for the Old Weavers well it depends... if you end up getting on the list you generally get that... otherwise its one of the most expensive places in the city, with the exception of the Noble's Quarter off course..."

thamolas
2011-07-28, 06:01 PM
"House Erouse it is! ...Why don't you come with us? We'd love to hear some stories about the good ol' days."

Sex? Yowza! Heh.

Monodominant
2011-07-28, 06:10 PM
"Would you also love to hear my wife nagging for the next two days for an unscheduled delay? If so then I would be glad to join you for a large mug of beer... or five" he says sadly.

"No you lads, and lady, go and enjoy yourselves. It is a good day for you..." he says and smiles broadly.

thamolas
2011-07-28, 06:48 PM
"We'll toast you, then."

We walk over to the House Erouse and take a table if one is free.

Monodominant
2011-07-28, 07:00 PM
The tavern itself is an an alley right of a relatively busy spot though the buildings here are not in the best condition.

As you enter you see fifteen or so figures turn to look at you. A few of them wear guard uniforms while the rest are wearing civilian clothing though you recognise some guards you have seen in the fortress.

A table is indeed free and you enter and sit.

The tavern keeper, an Elf with white hair and wrinkles approaches your table.

"Afternoon officers, I havent seen you here before!"

thamolas
2011-07-28, 07:21 PM
"Well there's a good reason for it - we just graduated and we're celebrating!"

thamolas
2011-07-29, 12:23 AM
Interesting direction, btw

Monodominant
2011-07-29, 12:39 AM
In what sense? You realise its all up to you right? If you had not joined the guard you would not be a guardsman now!

On the plus side Guardsmen ARE allowed to use lethal force in the persecution of their duties... doesnt mean you can come back with body bags every day but this is not modern life with internal affairs hounding you just for discharging your weapon or beating someone up that wasnt talking... so though there are still standards and a due process things swing towards the side of the law much more...

The bartender smiles at you all.

"Well congratulations then! The first round is on the house and I'm sure other patrons will chip in for the next few!" he says louldy enough to be heard and indeed you see many heads turn once more and nod approvingly.

"Its good to see young people like yourselves taking an active part in the defence of the city and the laws we have! Far too many just ignore their duty to the city and just end up as unproductive members of society!" he says with passion!

He quickly brings you each a large glass of beer and you notice that he filled them from the smaller, most likely more expensive, barrel.

"To new blood" he calls out and the tavern echoes the sentiment.

thamolas
2011-07-29, 01:04 AM
Otto enthuses, drinks, and, when the time is right, raises his mug and calls out "To the city of Aldhaven!"

As my squad drinks and revels, I ask each, in turn, why he/she chose to join the guard.

Monodominant
2011-07-29, 01:09 AM
The afternoon passes easily and you and your colleagues seem to be the only group of recruits that ended up in the House so you receive a healthy amount of drink for free. In the case of Giacomo the beer becomes an unhealthy amount as night time is approaching and he has started challenging an old Dwarf Guardsman to a drinking duel.

Erik, who drink carefully and slips the elf a couple of coins to make sure all the free beer he gets is switched with free wine, explains that his father is an Earl and that he is the third son of the family. Thus it would be difficult for him to expect any land to pass to him so he decided to take the opportunity of becoming recognised in another way. He is ambitious and obvious about it though you do sense he is careful and calculating as well.

Giacomo comes from a long line of Guardsmen from his city. He tells of how his father always considered being a Guardsman in Aldhaven would launch the family tradition and profession to a new era of importance. He does say that after a few years he plans to head back home and train the locals in the new techniques and styles he learns from here.

Surini and Nathan as with most things share a background. Their reasons are simple. Coming from poor families from Old Town just barely making enough money to not end up in the Docks or the Slums they wanted a way out. No education and no other useful skills meant they other had to seek a refuge in the underworld or the guard. They chose the Guard having heard that even if an officer died his or her family would receive compensations.

Unexpectedly after the first couple of beers Erik swings back to you.

" And you Otto? I admit we have been walking around, training together and I know next to nothing about you... if I wasnt a trusting man by nature I would be suspicious that you are hiding something from us" he says and you realise that all four heads have turned to you nodding positively.

thamolas
2011-07-29, 09:35 AM
"Me? ...Well... My story is a mix of all of your stories. Like you, Giacomo, members of my family essentially serve as law enforcement in our village. And like you, Erik, I am not in line to inherit anything; so, despite belonging to a landed family, and I felt encouraged to forge my own way. I came to Aldhaven because it's bigger and filled with greater opportunity. And like you, Surini and Nathan, my skillset means that my only reliable options are in the underworld or in the guard. We chose the guard!"

Monodominant
2011-07-29, 09:50 AM
"To the guard and to Aldhaven" Erik calls out and most of the tavern follows his toast.

Time passes and faces change, the patrons from when you were there leave and others, having finished their beats and their shifts, enter the tavern. As they dont recognise the significance of your presence there the free drinks slowly trickle down.

"So you have somewhere to spend the night?" Surini asks you with no hint of a hidden meaning.

thamolas
2011-07-29, 02:37 PM
"I don't," Otto replies and looks down a little.

Monodominant
2011-07-29, 03:58 PM
The tavern keeper smiles.

"We have some rooms here, they are not the best and there are not many but its warm, safe and among friends..."he tells you.

"Oh and its free... but generally you should come to an arrangement either with the group you will be working with to share accomodation or with your captain about staying in the precinct"he tells you with a fatherly tone.

thamolas
2011-07-29, 05:12 PM
"Thank you, sir! It's nice to not have to worry about wandering around at night a bit pickled."

Otto finishes his last drink by toasting the House Erouse.

To his squad: "Are you guys staying here tonight?"

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 04:15 AM
Erik scoffs at this as he slowly gets up.

"No. I am staying at the estates tonight and tomorrow. See you all at the precinct..." he says as he departs.

Similarly the two Old Towners get up supporting each other to fight of the drunkeness.

"We have to head back home and tend to our families... have a good day tomorrow and see you the day after!" Surini says.

Giacomo looks at you and the tavern and shrugs.

"Beats having to pay at an expensive inn..." he says and stays in his chair.

thamolas
2011-07-30, 09:51 AM
Otto turns in for the night.

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 01:13 PM
He wakes up the next morning with a headache and a bad taste in his mouth. Nothing a beer cant cure.

thamolas
2011-07-30, 01:47 PM
Aside from venturing out to buy a net, Otto enjoys a quiet day and night, reporting to the Mage District's guard outpost in the morning with Giacomo. Of course, Otto encourages his teammate to take it easy with the drink on the second night.

thamolas
2011-07-30, 03:03 PM
Sorry for handwaving the quiet day, but Otto has nothing on his agenda outside of buying a net and quietly passing the time.

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 03:33 PM
Its absolutely no problem. As always in AvB we respond to your actions, you can handweave weeks if you please and assuming nothing like PLOT happens. In this case taking a relaxing day after 3 weeks of hard training makes sense.

You arrive on time and with no hangover bugging you.

The Mage's Quarter guardhouse is the biggest and most illustrious, with the exception of the Fortress and the Noble's District station.

It is a three story building made from stone and wood that houses a seperate stables, an armor and weapon smith and even a small chappel with dual dedication to Helm and St. Cuthbert.

As you walk inside you see that the guards here take care of personal appearance are uniform according to regulations more than even in the Fortress. Standing a few feet away you recognise the rest of your squad, they are engaged in conversation with a young aasimar with sergeant's stripes.

"Good day corporal, private" he says giving a nod towards the two of you as you approach. "You must be Corporal Otto and Private Giacomo. Now that you are all here I can take you to the Captain unless if you have any questions." he says and pauses for a moment.

thamolas
2011-07-30, 03:43 PM
There's a bunkhouse here, right? If not, Otto asks about it now, rather than bothering the Captain with it.

Otherwise, he continues with a "Thank you, Sergeant. I'm ready. You ready, Giacomo?"

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 04:00 PM
"Yes there is. There is a barracks with enough space for 30 guardsmen. Rarely that many stay here as most have houses somewhere in the city so you can even claim one of them for your own if you dont have a place to go to... its good for the station to have some men always on call" he says.

Giacomo nods and you all together follow the aasimar up the stairs to the third floor. A second before the aasimar knocks the door you hear a deep voice from inside.

"Send them in Sergeant and tend to your duties..."

The sergeant raises an eyebrow and motions to you to go right ahead as he turns and leaves.

How familiar are you with Terry Pratchett and the Ankh Morpork City Watch?

thamolas
2011-07-30, 04:21 PM
I had never heard of it before, so I googled it. Sounds Monty Python-esque. Why do you ask?

Otto nods to the Sergeant, raises an eyebrow in Giacomo's direction for a split second, opens the door, and enters the room.

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 04:36 PM
He is a famous fantasy writter using parody and humor to put a feel of the real world in his works. There is a very nicely created "Guard" in the setting and the Commander is an awesome character. Since you dont know him I will use him as the Captain here... he is not a caricature unlike many other characters in the book.

Behind the large table filled with more papers than a brief glance can take in is sitting a middle aged man. He is unshaven, his uniform seems to have seen much, much better days and he has a guilty look about his face as you see him closing a drawer.

"So, you are the new lot I get. Politicals are you?" he asks suspiciouly for a moment and then breaks into a smile as he gets up and walks towards you. You notice that his boots have incredibly thin soles.

"Hehe, just kidding. I read your files... I know that its only Mr Erik here I should be careful off..." he says and the smile leaves his eyes but not his mouth.

"So, gentlemen. I am Captain Vimes, Captain Samuel Vimes... tell me your name and the one thing I should know about you. I dont have time for more..." he says and stares at all of you one by one.

thamolas
2011-07-30, 04:46 PM
Ah, I try not to read much fantasy because I started writing a lot of it myself and don't want too many outside influences creeping in. I can't escape Tolkien.

Good stuff to know, however.

"Otto Dornigan. I'm training in the fine art of drinking to prepare myself for the day when I catch a wife."

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 05:13 PM
He looks at you for a moment frowning and then shakes his head. He hears to the comments of the others and then looks back to all of you.

"Very well. There are a couple of things you should now about me. Firstly I dislike liers. With a passion. Its okay if you screw up but its not if you lie about it. Secondly I take care of my own. I understand some times things are tough, some times as you are investigating the breakin at the jewelery stone it is overpowering to leave the gem you found under floor board just stay there instead of taking it for your sick mother... I want you to know that small things are okay with me. But if you do anything that jeopardises this precincts and the safety of my men by the Gods I will come down on you like a ton of bricks... Thirdly I hate the undead and especially Vampires. With a passion, bring a necromancer in and you get an on the spot raise and maybe even promotion..." he says and pauses.

"Now there are people out there that will try to recruit you for special units, special duties, super cool undercover missions and all that stuff. Be aware that they dont care for you... they didnt suddenly see in you what they have not seen in hundreds of other cadets. Its just that in specialised units someone has to do the paperwork and someone has to clean the blood of the interrogation rooms and the really nasty special people dont like to have to do that..." he says and is about to continue when the Sergeant from before has a peak through the door.

"Mr Vimes... a man is out to see you... he asked for you and he eerr... asked you by the...er... other title... " he says hesitantly.

You see the Captain roll his eyes as he heads out and turns to the Sergeant.

"We are done here Ronald, show them around the place and assign them for patrols today..." he says.

After the Captain leaves Giacomo whispers to the Sergeant.

"What is the other title if I may ask Sarge?"

The aasimar smiles patiently and replies. "Your Grace. Mr Vimes is actually Duke Vimes but he doesnt like being called that... he especially doesnt like the official uniform he is supposed to be wearing when he goes around being called that..."

thamolas
2011-07-30, 05:25 PM
I was hoping to make him smile. Heh. FWIW, Otto's long-term goal is to build up his own "important" family and it starts with some level of success and a wife.

"There's your future, Erik," Otto teases and laughs before turning to the Sergeant.

"Sarge, I have to admit... I like the Captain already."

Otto listens to and follows Sergeant ___.

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 05:37 PM
It doesnt matter much but in the spirit of sharing (and trusting you enough with the OOC stuff since we have a nice vibe going) he is a recovering alchoholic :D

Also I had seen how you said in your goals that you would care to lead a clan/gang... I thought it would be interesting to see if the Guard or at least a group/squad/precinct would be something that he would be interested in...

Erik ignores your joke and frowns slightly when he hears about the man not using his proper title.

Sergeant Ronald shows you through the precinct and then brings you back to the entrance. You see a large blackboard set next to the entrance with times, days, names of people and names of "beats".

"Here is where you see what your patrol is for the day. There are more things we do but its tradition here to have at least a 2 hour patrol a day to keep us in touch with the street as the Captains calls it. Generally we are assigned bodyguard duty when someone important is visiting the district, investigation duty when a crime has been commited and the perps are at large as well as community outreach... thats when we shine our buttons and boots and present ourselves at the University during official functions. You as new recruits will be mostly doing patrols and guarding until you learn the district like the palm of your hand..." he says and smiles.

"For today each one of you will take a beat with a senior guardsman who will show you how it works..."

thamolas
2011-07-30, 07:47 PM
Ha ha that would explain it. Poor guy. Alcoholism. That's a rough road.

The guard angle does seem like a great first (gradual) step.

Sorry about the Sergeant blank - I noticed the Ronald after going back over it. :smalltongue:

"Sarge, I have to be honest; I'm chomping at the bit to get out on patrol!"

I hate to ask, but can I have a rundown on what the procedures are, official and unofficial/common?

Monodominant
2011-07-30, 07:52 PM
Would you mind terribly if I post the answer to the above tomorrow? Its 3am here and my mind is not clear enough to develop those...

As for the name... yea its becoming progressively harder to find setting appropriate Human names that I am NOT using in another persons thread and that are not just jumbled letters...

:D

thamolas
2011-07-30, 07:59 PM
Sure thing. I doubt anything will come up right away where I'll need to know. It's just good to have before it becomes necessary. :smallsmile:

thamolas
2011-07-31, 02:09 PM
I think some of the roughest parts of GMing are naming everything/everybody and defining proedures.

Monodominant
2011-07-31, 02:22 PM
Okay the process.

Squads of 2 or 3 patrol the streets.
Usual patrols are 2 to 6 hours long depending on the particular beat and the manpower of each precinct.
During the patrol you are to provide support if called to do so but otherwise you are not supposed to deviate from your course.

If you see/suspect criminal activity you are to approach and identify yourself clearly as a member of the Guard. This does not mean you cannot first observe to ensure a criminal act but it also doesnt mean that if you see someone trying to break in you wait until he does. Prevention is as important as an arrest.

You are to do your best to apprehend a criminal alive as one of the city's main sources of wealth is the needle mines where convicted criminals are sent for forced labof. Lethal force is authorised though care is to be taken against who it is employed especially with witnesses around.

All gear carried by a perp are to be delivered with him as evidence. It is generally accepted that any coinage is yours to keep as a bonus but again its good to check whose money you are... requisitioning.

Nobles and nobles servants not endangering someones life are generally not... apprehended or treated badly. That does not mean they are exempt but it means you should double/triple/quadruple check before you do something against them...

Protecting property and citizens takes priority over most directives.

"Glad to hear that Dornigan. You and I will be doing graveyard shift tonight, as its your first time we will do a double one... be prepared for 6 hours of one on one fun..." he says and grins at you as he continues talking to the others about their own patrol schedule.

"Any questions?" he asks as he is done explaining you the due process and details of how the patrol works.

thamolas
2011-07-31, 02:59 PM
"I'm ready when you are."

Monodominant
2011-07-31, 03:09 PM
The day passes as you are shown to the in house facilities like the chappel and smiths.

Just before midnight you meet with the Sergeant and you see that he is wearing a new uniform that is on one hand clean but on the other something seems strange about it that you cant put your finger on.

He looks at you appraisingly and motions to you to follow him as he steps outside

thamolas
2011-07-31, 03:22 PM
Aside from wearing no armor and no shield, Otto looks pretty normal.

Otto follows Ronald outside, appraising his companion as they walk together.

Monodominant
2011-07-31, 03:44 PM
The aasimar seems confident and relaxed as he walks. He occasionally points something out to you but overall he stays quiet and alert.

You are shown a number of streets and stores of interest in the area and you start getting a feel for the night time here as the fourth hour passes and you are on your way back.

making a pause so you can act/ask asnything you may want.

thamolas
2011-07-31, 03:54 PM
"So, Ronald, what do you think of Sergeant Irena?"

Monodominant
2011-07-31, 04:12 PM
"So -Sergeant- what do you think of Sergeant Irena" he corrects you.

"We are not buddies just yet corporal, lets keep the pretenses at least..." he says but you dont detect any annoyance in his voice.

"As for Irena... well... I share the captain's views on all those task forces and special units. Irenas group is called "The Particulars" and I admit there is no love lost between me and them... if I was able to speak freely I would say they are thugs with too much time and too much power in their hands..." he says and frowns "but why do you ask? How do you know Irena?"

thamolas
2011-07-31, 04:22 PM
"Sergeant... The captain's view? That they are too happy to spill blood and not too keen on cleaning up their messes?"

Monodominant
2011-07-31, 04:45 PM
"Yes... more or less... Captain Vimes is relaxed but by the book... and when you start making exceptions from the book about the important stuff thats when you start creating issues... but you didnt answer my question corporal... how do you know Irena?"

thamolas
2011-07-31, 11:52 PM
"To be honest with you, she showed interest in me when I volunteered. I figured that special units were pestigious but didn't think too much of it at the time. Remember, I was an outside looking in."

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 12:09 AM
"Everyone has a diffrent opinion corporal. Perhaps we are wrong but most precincts end up gravitating their opinions around those of their Captains... its how it works with leadership I guess..." he pauses and smiles.

"In any case, its up to you to decide if you want to give them a try... I'm not here to dissuade you and its true that... units... are good for your career if thats what you are interested in... but many times they are not good for your consience..." he says seriously.

"Anyway, we should be on our way back, I am gonna show you a couple of spots where you can lean back and almost completely hide from view and then we will return..." he says as he walks faster.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 12:28 AM
"Sergeant Ronald... I really appreciate your candor. Thank you."

Otto follows and soaks in any knowledge the Sergeant wishes to share.

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 12:41 AM
A few hiding spots later you are on your way to the precinct when you hear a gasp from a side alley and see a flash of light.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 08:41 AM
"What was that?" Otto asks Ronald and rushes to the alley, being careful to defer to his superior.

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 08:48 AM
The man frowns and draws his crossbow and he approaches carefully making a sign for you to be on the other side of the alley.

As you approach you hear sounds of struggle.

Once at the lip of the alley you see inside three figures. Two of them cloaked in heavy garments with hoods obscuring their facial features seem to be attacking a lone individual dressed as a high class servant. He seems to have drawn a small dagger and using it to defend himself.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 09:33 AM
Otto approaches from the other side as indicated. He readies his net and watches Ronald for a signal.

Holding until Ronald acts or indicates action.

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 09:47 AM
I would just like to point out that net has a range of 10... the... scene is taking place halfway through the alley.

The alley itself is 100 feet long and 20 feet wide and so currently they are 50 feet away.

The sergeant crouches low and approaches another 10 feet and stays behind an overturned garbage can, not risking to go closer in case he is spotted. He motions to you to do the same as there is some rubble on the other side across him.

During that time the men have just managed to wound the man dropping him on the ground just as he manages to slash one of them drawing blood and a curse.

When you reach the spot he gets up, aims his crossbow at them and calls out.

"This is the city guard! HALT!" he calls out loudly and strongly.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 10:19 AM
Otto joins him next to the trashcan.

"Sarge," Otto whispers, "does this alley open up into another street, or is it a dead end?"

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 12:07 PM
"Its a dead end but the walls here are low enough for someone agile enough to climb..." he whispers to you as he aims at the men.

The two cloaked figures look up towards you and whisper something to each other. One of them takes a step forward and puts his sword at the neck of the man who is on the ground.

The other one starts searching the injured man for valuables.

"Make a move and he is dead guardsman. We just want the money!".

thamolas
2011-08-01, 12:35 PM
They are too far away for my ranged attacks anyway, so...

Otto looks at Ronald and follows his lead.

He outranks me, so I'm not going to step out of place unless it looks like he just can't handle it.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 04:19 PM
A classic situation!

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 04:50 PM
The sergeant grits his teeth as he steps out.

"Listen scumbag, there is only one way out of the alley and that is in handcuffs. For all we know you're gonna kill him anyway so I might as well have something to show to my captain... and the young corporal here is itching for some blood..." he says and motions to you to also approach.

The thug seems worried for a moment and then his colleague whispers something to him, seems to remove something from the downed man and moves away.

"I will say it one last time guardsman. One more step and the innocent gets it. Drop the crossbow and we can all go home with no worries..."

thamolas
2011-08-01, 05:18 PM
"Wait, Sarge. There's an innocent at stake!" Otto exclaims and makes a "hold on" gesture while stepping closer to Ronald. He turns his head so that the perps cannot see him wink. "Hand me the crossbow. It's not worth it. Let's stand aside this time." Otto then faces his back to them slightly enough to cast True Strike. I assume that, being one of his Assassin spells, that the verbal component can be whispered and grandiose somatic components are unnecessary.

Also, please tell me you allow called shots. :smallsmile:

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 05:58 PM
I allow called shots vs items as usual. Vs individuals no... it doesnt make sense cause you end up with PCs that have a dozen injuries that cant be cured or healed easily. The problem is that if an NPC dies like that or is so badly injured he cant continue I can bring around another... if a PC has that happen to him you end up with a wizard that cant see, a cleric that cant talk/pray and a rogue who has cut thumbs...

As for assassins spells I would rule that indeed they have less obvious movements associated with them and as such a hide check or sleight of hand can completely cover for them.

The sergeant frowns for a moment and tosses you the crossbow.

"Very well. Just move away from the man and you can walk away... but I will remember this."

The thug doesnt reply and keep his face low as he motions for his partner to move.

"He goes first and then I go... I dont trust your kind..." he says and maintains his position as the second criminal walks towards the sergeant.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 06:11 PM
If you didn't secretly make the hide check: [roll0]
Hope there are circumstance bonuses

Ah, well... Then I will have to aim for his weapon, since I cannot aim for his hand.

Assuming the spell worked without a hitch, I fire the crossbow at the thug's weapon as soon as it hits my hands.

[roll1] ranged attack bonus + true strike, don't know if there's a bonus for the crossbow.

Hit or miss, I drop the crossbow and run toward the thug nearest the downed man, drawing my dagger.

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 06:21 PM
The bolt flies true and the thug gives a yelp as he drops it his palm red with blood though your superb shooting means he didnt lose a finger for this.

He curses and start running towards the end of the alley.

The other thug is already less than 20 feet from your hiding spot and his eyes widden in suprise as both you and the sergeant jump from behind your cover towards him. The sergeant draws his sword in a fluid movement and using the signs you learned at the Fortress indicates you should go after the other one.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 06:29 PM
I run around the closest thug careful to avoid giving up an AoO and pursue the one that's running away. If he pauses and I'm within 15 feet, I stop and throw my dagger at him.

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 06:34 PM
The sergeant manages to distract him long enough for you to not provoke an attack as he cant spare the time paying attention to you.

As you run you hear the clang of weapon against weapon.

The thug does stop as he needs to climb up the wall at the end of the alley.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 06:41 PM
Throwing the dagger:
[roll0]

dmg, if it hits: [roll1] Sneak attack dice: [roll2]

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 06:51 PM
The dagger hits and the man groans loudly. He still manages to climb and jump on the buildings roof giving a quick worried look back at you.

From behind the sounds of battle continue.

"Dont worry about me. I have things under control here!" calls the sergeant and you see him kicking the man against the wall in what you would call a very dirty move though the man doesnt drop yet.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 06:57 PM
I can still see him - is he still less than 15 feet away? And is he still focused on getting away?

Free speech: "HALT! And we'll go easy on you!"

Monodominant
2011-08-01, 07:08 PM
You can still see him, he spent his full action climbing he is just at the lip of roof he just climbed. Its the roof of a single story building so not more than 9 feet and has ample amount of wooden beams and the like that you can use as foot holds and which he actually used.

He turns, gives you the finger and prepares to run.

thamolas
2011-08-01, 07:12 PM
As soon as he turns to run, the next dagger is flying after him:
[roll0]
if it hits, dmg: [roll1] Sneak attack dice: [roll2]

Monodominant
2011-08-02, 01:02 AM
This time the dagger misses what would have been a killing blow. It was not so much the throw but rather the angle of it as he had used the ledge as cover.

The next moment he disappears from sight but you hear his footsteps as he is navigating the rooftop.

thamolas
2011-08-02, 08:46 AM
Climbing after him:
[roll0]

Monodominant
2011-08-02, 10:07 AM
He skirts the wall with little difficulty, your movements are almost cat like and you see him in the distance jumping from one rooftop to the other.

Thankfully the roof you are on is higher so jumping across is a piece of cake.

As in it wont require a roll if you choose to follow!

thamolas
2011-08-02, 10:34 AM
Otto readies more dagger-age as he follows. If the perp pauses, Otto lets another dagger fly.

Monodominant
2011-08-02, 03:31 PM
You continue hounding him for almost a full minute. You are as agile as him but he is wounded. Eventually you arrive at a point where the next roof is too far for him to jump.

He turns to face you worry and determination evident his features...

initiative...

thamolas
2011-08-02, 03:48 PM
Initiative
[roll0]

Free speech: "Don't be a fool. Give up while you can!"

thamolas
2011-08-02, 03:49 PM
NOW I get a nat. 20?

Monodominant
2011-08-02, 04:00 PM
Unsurprisingly you go first!

The man laughs.

"Sure okay. I give up. I did not do anything wrong anyway!" he says and he takes a single step forward.

thamolas
2011-08-02, 04:13 PM
Ah, a chance to reveal my true colors... heh

Dagger throw:
[roll0]
dmg: [roll1] sneak dice: [roll2]

thamolas
2011-08-02, 04:15 PM
Oh, another nat. 20

[roll0]

thamolas
2011-08-03, 07:39 AM
what is the normal way to handle crits in PbP?

Monodominant
2011-08-03, 07:49 AM
I am good with either doubling the damage roll (as in the weapon+str+magic modifier) or with rolling two dice... I know that Plans and Rizban mandate the 2 dice.

Up to you what we use but once you decide we stick with it.

Also in this case he is not flatfooted nor is he flanked/denied dex bonus so sneak doesnt apply.

You dagger catches him on the throat despite the fact he is almost expecting you to attack.

He looks at you with wide eyes and coughs blood and collapses on his knees passing out.

even if we double the low roll for damage it drops him unconsious :D

thamolas
2011-08-03, 09:09 AM
The old fashioned double-the-damage sounds good to me. We can change it if Riz or Plans get involved as DMs (you never know whose threads might eventually overlap).

As for flanking/flatfooted, my group always ruled that a first (initial, not every round - including "roll a new initiative" situations) initiative always got the "unprepared" benefit for SA dmg. I can see how that could often not apply. Sometimes old habits feel like canon, you know?

Otto gives the fallen perp the once-over for valuables, thief/assassin gear, potential evidence/anything interesting, and daggers (also retrieving the two hits, subtly ensuring the perp is dead upon retrieving the neck dagger - ie leaving no obvious coup de grace evidence). After he feels satisfied, he tosses the dead body off the building and hurries back to Ronald and the other rogue.

Monodominant
2011-08-03, 10:19 AM
On the first round of combat sure people that have not acted yet ARE flatfooted.

In the case where you just had a chase over the rooftops and you have thrown two daggers at him and are holding one more on your hand... well that doesnt apply as much.

I asked for "refreshed" initiative but the "chase" could have been a round by round combat where all each of you did was full move...

Also in AvB we indicate when someone's gear IS magical when you search him/loot him... so although you dont know WHAT they are until identified you can tell they are magical.

He finds a pouch with 100gold, almost too much money for someone to carry, three smokesticks and a short sword that must be magical and he was about to draw it to defend himself.

Other than that he is wearing a chain shirt and carries a buckler he did not get to use and has a dagger in his boot.

You push the dagger further in ending his life as to slit his throat would be too obvious and you kick the body in the thin gap between two buildings.

On your way back to the street where the other rogue and the sergeant was you hear... nothing.

thamolas
2011-08-03, 11:07 AM
Otto takes the gold, the smokesticks, the sword, and the dagger; leaving the chainmail and buckler on the corpse.

Regarding SA, I agree completely. Just letting you know why I was asking.

As for magical findings, it's good to know!

Otto climbs down. Is the fallen servant still there? Or any other bodies, for that matter?

Monodominant
2011-08-03, 12:45 PM
The servant is most definately not there. Nor is the Sergeant.

The body of the second thug is and he seems to have had his throat slit and there is something boiling in his mouth.

The blood on the ground next to the thugs body seems too much to have all belonged to him. You also see the Sergeant's crossbow has been left behind.

thamolas
2011-08-03, 12:55 PM
Does the thug appear to have been searched? If not, Otto searches him, careful to avoid the boiling.

If so, or when finished searching the body, Otto calls out for Sergeant Ronald, picks up the crossbow, and looks for any clues as to the sergeant's whereabouts.

Have we been instructed to do anything specific in this situation?

Monodominant
2011-08-03, 01:08 PM
The thug has not been searched. He has a pouch with 100gp, a masterwork dagger, is wearing studded leather armor and also carries two torches and 6 tinderwigs.

As you search the body you realise the boiling comes from the fact that someone has emptied an acid vial in the mouth destroying the tongue, throat and probably sooner or later the whole mouth.

There are no traces of the Sergeant.

search check if you want to search... more...

In similar situations you have been taught that normally you wouldnt leave the scene so you are at a loss about why the sergeant isnt here...

thamolas
2011-08-03, 01:44 PM
Otto pockets the gold and the dagger.

Otto calls out for the Sergeant again and takes 20 on the search, since he has plenty of time. Search bonus is +4. Also, he's careful to look around now & then in case someone tries to sneak up on him.

He must have found something really valuable. :smallamused:

thamolas
2011-08-03, 04:11 PM
Or a healer... Hmm :smallwink:

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 12:24 AM
The Sergeant doesnt answer despite your calls. He is nowhere to be found...

Your search reveals something interesting despite you lack of tracking skills. It seems that the wounded servant must have walked to the scene as there is another pair of bloody footsteps from where the other thug was killed.

It also seems as if the servant dragged something with him. At the end of the alley when he would end up in the open road the "dragged" foot prints disappear and only one pair continues, after a while though when all the blood from his shoes must have cleared you can no longer track it.

thamolas
2011-08-04, 09:37 AM
Otto notes the time and place and returns to the guardhouse.

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 10:05 AM
What does he do with the body?

I will resolve your action anyway but this is important.

He arrives at the guardhouse with no further incident. He arrives at the entrance and he sees the two men on guard duty, one of them being Erik eye you suspiciously since you are returning earlier and without the person you left with.

"Everything okay Otto? Where's the Sarge?"

thamolas
2011-08-04, 10:12 AM
What is the official/unofficial procedure with body handling?

And does Aldhaven have some sort of trash removal service?

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 12:04 PM
Its not as if they have an official service.

Various lower classes go through the trash or end up getting rid of them for more influential people.

Alot of the citie's trash end up in the river, the sea or the slums...

The procedure would be to have your partner stay with the body while you inform the others... in this case it would be to somehow bring the body to the closest precinct...

thamolas
2011-08-04, 12:10 PM
Ahh... Well, it has acid burning it; returning to the precinct to ask for help would make some sense, I think. Hmm... I got it.

To go back in time a bit...

Otto steps out of the alley and looks for a couple of suitably non-genteel men.

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 12:21 PM
He finds two young men boozing at a side alley not far from there.

thamolas
2011-08-04, 12:36 PM
"Ahoy there, citizens. I need you to do something for me."

I offer them 3 gp each to dispose of the bodies.

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 12:44 PM
"Make it 5gp mister..." they say matter of factly not really interested why you need bodies to be taken care off.

thamolas
2011-08-04, 12:56 PM
"Done."

Otto handles the transaction and heads to the guardhouse.

Now I'll jump ahead to where we were.

"I don't know... He hasn't returned?"

Who does Otto report to?

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 03:18 PM
I hate to say this... but you report... to your Sergeant...

He reports to a Lieutenant called Angua Firles who you have been told of but not met yet and she reports to the Captain.

He looks at you confused.

"He left with you remember? So no he has not returned!"

thamolas
2011-08-04, 03:28 PM
"Something's happened to him. Figures something bad has to happen on the first day."

Otto asks Erik and/or his partner where he can find Lieutenant Firles.

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 03:36 PM
They both look at you a bit suprised at your calmness.

"What do you mean something happened? WHAT happened? Were you not together?" you see that Erik is about to ask another hundred questions when the other man, a senior corporal you had already met, motions to you to head inside.

"The Lt is on officer duty for the night. She is in the front room receiving reports etc... go right in and dont waste time answering this fool. The Lt will ask the same things anyway" he tells you despite the frowns he gets from Erik.

thamolas
2011-08-04, 03:41 PM
"Thanks, Corporal," Otto says and turns to Erik. "I'll fill you in later."

Otto walks in and addresses the Lt.

"Lieutenant Firles, I have to report something strange that happened on my shift."

Monodominant
2011-08-04, 04:00 PM
The woman, a young red head with strange canine eyes regards you with interest.

"First name and XO and then tell me what happened Corporal. You smell of blood!"

thamolas
2011-08-04, 05:26 PM
"Corporal Otto, paired with Sergeant Ronald, ma'am. He and I witnessed a robbery in progress in an alley..." Otto gives the approximate time and location, giving a rough outline of how he and Ronald intercepted the criminals, stressing his good work in diffusing the hostage situation. "...and the Sergeant implored me to pursue the first thug, so I did. On the rooftops, I fought the criminal and his body fell into a different alley. I returned to the scene of the crime, but the Sergeant was gone, the victim was gone, and the second thug was dead, with acid burning through his face. I called out for the Sergeant and investigated the crime scene as I waited. I discovered that it appeared that the victim rose and left the scene and it also appeared that he was dragging the Sergeant in tow. I lost the trail when the bloody boots ran dry. I regret that tracking is not among my skills. I guessed that, perhaps, Sergeant Ronald needed to be healed and that the victim was properly performing his duty. Since I couldn't follow them, I rushed here to report in. Here's Sergeant Ronald's crossbow."

Otto hands her the x-bow, standing at attention, trying to look calm, yet filled with concern.

thamolas
2011-08-05, 12:59 AM
Canine eyes? She's a real looker, eh? :smalltongue:

Monodominant
2011-08-05, 07:14 AM
She looks generally alarmed at all you are reporting.

"So I am to understand the Sergeant is missing? Then lets not lose time Corporal, come with me!" she says and gives you back the crossbow.

She moves quickly and with a certain animalistc grace as she calls out a few names and three more Guardsmen show up from whatever duties or recreational activities they were doing.

"Takes us there corporal and be quick about it!" she orders you and she heads out.

thamolas
2011-08-05, 09:01 AM
Otto takes them to the spot where Ronald and the victim disappeared.

Monodominant
2011-08-05, 09:28 AM
The woman approaches the scene and starts scanning the ground. The other men spread out and start checking for any evidence or clues to what happened.

After two minutes you see that she seems very angry and very annoyed she walks up to you and to the others and snaps.

" Turn around, close your eyes and dont look " she says firmly.

The other men seem to be aware of what this is about and they all indeed do as she asks.

thamolas
2011-08-05, 10:22 AM
Doing as the other men do.

Monodominant
2011-08-05, 12:08 PM
You are a meaty, squishy, throaty sound and then silence for about a minute. You notice the other Guards pretend not to hear it and whistle or look up and around.

Two more minutes pass.

thamolas
2011-08-05, 12:11 PM
Otto listens to the sound, but looks around like the others.

Monodominant
2011-08-05, 12:41 PM
The weird sound is heard again and then a moment later the Lieutenant steps forward again.

"Too much blood and its all I can smell. Makes things difficult. And the acid thats an interesting touch... as if they thought we may want to interrogate them after death..." she says looking around.

"Still lets give it a try..." she says and starts walking down the road towards the direction the bloody prints lead.

thamolas
2011-08-05, 12:51 PM
Otto wears a curious expression and follows.

Monodominant
2011-08-07, 02:12 AM
The Lieutenant and your group spread out so you can cover the length of the road as she follows the tracks her head close to the ground.

You see that you arrive at the point where the blood stops and she seems to continue further as if following an unseen trail.

A few minutes later you pass by the spot where you recruited the two helpers to carry the body and they look up at you about to say something.

thamolas
2011-08-07, 02:13 AM
Sunburnt and still drunk: today was awesome!

thamolas
2011-08-07, 02:17 AM
"Citizens, have you seen two men pass by here..." Otto describes the Sergeant and the servant.

Monodominant
2011-08-07, 02:20 AM
One of them raises an eyebrow and says nothing.

The other looks at you recognising you and says.

"No sir, noone like that... we just got back from taking care of what you asked earlier! I can report it was done gracefully!" he says trying to stand at attention.

The lieutenant and the other men turn to look at you with suprise in their eyes.

"Corporal?" she inquires.

thamolas
2011-08-07, 02:35 AM
"Thank you, citizens. If you see them, do your duty and let us know."

Otto turns to the Lt.

"They helped me with something earlier. A favor. Sorry to slow us down."

Otto uses body language to encourage urgency in the pursuit.

Monodominant
2011-08-07, 01:22 PM
"We will talk about this later Corporal" she says and continues walking.

The others do not seem to care though one of them almost giggles at her stern voice.

Five minutes later she lifts her head and growls extremely annoyed.

"Damn it!" she yells and as you approach you feel an intense smell assault your nostrils.

"Scent breakers. Ampules filled with ammonia and other substances to destroy the ability to track by scent! Whoever took the Sergeant was prepared AND a professional..." she says and pauses looking around.

"Corporal, tell me again and try to remember any details, who this servant was..."

thamolas
2011-08-07, 06:10 PM
Ammonia and anise seed. Classic trick.

In response to her question, Otto tells her everything he can remember about the servant.

Monodominant
2011-08-08, 07:24 AM
The details you remember do not seem to do a lot to help her or the other guards to which House the servant might have been... serving.

They look annoyed and slightly bothered at this turn of events and the lieutenant even more so.

"Well its obvious whoever did this has the Sergeant and went to as much trouble as he could to stop us from following. I will alert the Captain and we will launch an extended search but I doubt we will find them just like that. If only we could interrogate the two thugs we might have learned something..." she says and turns to you.

"Are you sure the man you chased after is dead? Do you think we could possibly check up on him?" she asks after she orders one of the guards to head back to the Station and report and to the others to team up in groups of two and continue sweeping the area.

thamolas
2011-08-08, 09:54 AM
"When I threw it, my dagger went into the middle of his throat and out the back a bit - definitely dead... Was this an elaborate ruse concocted in order to kidnap Sergeant Ronald? Who would do such a thing? And why?"

Monodominant
2011-08-08, 02:37 PM
"All those are good questions Corporal... the Sergeant was very knowledgable but he was not a person of great authority... they could have tried with me or with the captain if they wanted ransom. Not that we would deal with this in that way but still..." she says and frowns.

"Still, perhaps we can look for the body of the dead thug and see if we can get one of our clerics to glean some answers? Do you remember where the whole fight happened? And dont mention the knife you used to anyone else but me and the Captain... some Guardsmen take it personally when we allow new recruits to use their own gear instead of regulation. I know that some do not appreciate how we may need to use lethal force or that some times in a fight you need to do damage and not just try and arrest... the Captain agrees but not many people listen to him..." she says as she turns around and looks at you.

thamolas
2011-08-08, 02:41 PM
"Yes, ma'am. Mum's the word." Otto takes the Lt. to the alley with the body.

Monodominant
2011-08-08, 03:01 PM
You arrive at the dark alley and see two figures trying to undress the body from the armor.

As you approach one of them turns around with a wide eyed experssion. You see that the figures face seems deformed and ugly but you recognise it as a gnoll.

The lieutenant draws a very mean looking heavy mace.

thamolas
2011-08-08, 03:11 PM
How far away are they?

"Deja vu."

Otto readies some daggerage, waits, and watches, deferring to the Lt.

At the first sign of aggression from either side, the daggers fly.

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 12:22 AM
The alleyway is dimly lit and unlike the previous situation it just seems as if the two gnolls are scavenging rather than actually killing the man that you... killed.

"Bbbb...bbback away Guardsssman! We just foundddd him! Finders keepers! He has some nice shiny scales! Thats all we want!!!" mutters the gnoll that spotted you and raises his hands showing he is not holding a weapon.

The other gnoll also backs away.

"Slum vermin. Who told you, you can come scavenging in the city proper?" spits the Lieutenant and takes another step forward.

"Bad stuff in the Slums... had to get out for some time... promise we will go back were we belong lady Guardsman!" he says with a pleading tone.

"What bad stuff?" she asks and the gnoll seems uncertain at this.

The Lieutenant takes a step forward and gives a loud yell and waves her mace around.

The two gnolls abandon the body and run!

thamolas
2011-08-09, 12:44 AM
I just figured the character would find the situation amusing.

By the way, what is the law regarding creatures like gnolls within the city?

"We've got a body. I wonder if we will get any clues."

Otto follows the Lt. and does what she says.

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 06:28 AM
Generally Aldhaven is a multi-racial multi-cultural city. Most known humanoid and monstrous humanoid races are allowed within the city walls just as long as they behave and realise their place.

That is not to say that there is no racism and favoritism towards the more civilised races. More often than not the non "normal" races find themselves having to move to the docks, which is the most dangerous area within the city or even worse the slums which is just outside the city walls. Bugbears, Half-Orcs, Goblins, Hobgoblins and other such races have their home in the slums and as long as they dont threaten the safety of the city they are left alone.

Though not rare to see them within the walls it is not common either.

The lieutenant ignores the fleeing gnolls and approaches the body leaning close to it and seemingly taking a sniff.

She then looks at you and motions to you towards it.

"Well we need to take him back to the station... perhaps you can... bring him along?" she says with a smile.

thamolas
2011-08-09, 07:52 AM
"If that's your order."

Otto grabs the man by the ankles and drags him back to the station.

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 08:30 AM
The Lt smirks as you walk back to the station.

Your muscles are beginning to ache from the exertion and from the long night you have been having as you arrive.

You see that there is half a dozen Guardsmen looking annoyed or angry and they all move out of the way as the two of you approach. One of them leans closer towards the Lieutenant and you overhead him informing her that the captain put her in charge of this investigation as he had other business to attend with some riots or attacks at the Docks and Slums.

She frowns for a moment and then walks inside heading for the chapel of Helm that is located in the precinct.

thamolas
2011-08-09, 08:39 AM
Otto checks the board to see what his next scheduled shift is, takes a bath, eats something, and grabs a bunk to crash in.

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 09:16 AM
The Lieutenant sees you dreaming about getting to do all of the above and snaps at you.

"Pay attention corporal. The night is not over yet!" she says as you walk inside the small chapel. A man dressed in scale mail armor and carrying an ornate bastard sword is waiting before a temple. You notice the mans tabard has a combination of the symbol of Helm and the symbol of the Guard.

He turns to regard you as you enter and looks at the body you are carrying grimly.

thamolas
2011-08-09, 09:32 AM
Read it wrong. Sorrry about that.

Otto follows her, dragging the body.

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 09:43 AM
No worries :D no reason for retcon though... just a daydreaming sequence :D

The cleric takes the body and places it on a slab at the back of the chapel with your help.

The lieutenant explains to him what you need and he is about to reply when Erik walks inside.

"Pardon the intrustion Father, Lieutenant" he says and brings his fist on his chest.

"No problem corporal, what is it?" the woman replies.

"You have been summoned at the Fortress madam. The Captain requests your presence..." he says almost apologising.

The Lt seems annoyed at this but she shakes her head and turns to you.

"Father Giacomo here will ask the questions you need answered. Find as much as you can from him" she says seriously and leaves the room with Erik.

The Priest looks at you expectantly.

"Shall we begin Corporal?"

thamolas
2011-08-09, 09:48 AM
Otto nods at Erik.

"I can't see why not. Carry on, Father."

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 09:55 AM
It seems that time slows down as the priest performs the ceremony. He places a piece of onyx on the center of the dead mans head and then he walks around speaking the incantation.

The room goes colder and you realise that although the magical part of the ritual is over it seems that the cleric is also following some tradition. He stops moving as he ends behind the body and he raises his bastard sword as if ready to strike a cleaving blow and looks at you.

"It has worked. Ask your questions and he will answer with what memories he has. Helm has claimed the body and though the spirit is no longer there He compels it to answer only the truth. But be careful, even as a shell of its former self it might try and trick you should it not wish to give a clear answer..."

thamolas
2011-08-09, 10:11 AM
"How much can I ask? Any restrictions? And does he have to tell the truth?"

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 12:38 PM
He continues chanting very softly and circling the body as if he expects it to jump up any time.

"You can ask four questions. He or rather... it has to reply truthfully though the answers may be short or even cryptic. Keeping the will of the dead body from stopping this attempt is very difficult and even from beyond the grave it resists this interrogation." he says with strain heard in his voice.

thamolas
2011-08-09, 01:04 PM
"Who was it..." Otto describes the man in the alley that was attacked... "that you and your partner attacked in..." Otto names/describes the alley and the time... "?"

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 01:10 PM
There is an exhalation of air from the body and you see the clerics forhead crease in concentration and large sweat beads appearing as if he is exerting himself as well.

"We attacked Monsigniore Malahai... our dear, good and gentle Monsigniore Malahai..." comes the voice that chills you to your core.

thamolas
2011-08-09, 01:35 PM
Knowledge (The Nobility) check:
[roll0]

thamolas
2011-08-09, 01:37 PM
I doubt a 9 is going to cut it.

"When you attacked Monsigniore Malahai, who were you working for?"

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 01:45 PM
Nop, 9 is not gonna cut it. You could try a knowledge local though... Nobility would give you details about a noble house but having heard of the name in the city etc could be local.

The corpse coughs as if trying to intake air which will the be used to formulate the answer.

"We work for ourselves! But at the time we were working for Monsigniore Malahai... our dear, good and gentle Monsigniore Malahai"

thamolas
2011-08-09, 02:31 PM
Knowledge (Local)
[roll0]

thamolas
2011-08-09, 02:47 PM
A 6 is worse :smallfrown:

"Where is Monsigniore Malahai taking Sergeant Ronald?"

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 02:56 PM
The body remains silent or a few moments.

"I dont know..."

thamolas
2011-08-09, 02:58 PM
Dang... Okay... time for the longshot...

"Where did you and your partner meet Monsigniore Malahai?"

Monodominant
2011-08-09, 03:12 PM
Hate to do this but...

You see the corpse take a final breath as it answers.

"In a tavern in Old Town..." and with that it goes silent.

The priest breathes out and uses the slab as support. He seems exhausted.

thamolas
2011-08-10, 08:40 AM
"Thank you, Father... I wish we had more to go on, but at least we got a name. That's something. Should I head to the fortress to rendezvous with the lieutenant?"

Monodominant
2011-08-10, 09:34 AM
"I wish we could ask more but this is the extent of my power. Making the body remember the memories it had while still alive is difficult and grueling. Even worse the energy is such that it makes impossible to ask more questions for 1 whole week..." he says and looks at you.

"As for what to do next. Sleep and rest... the Lieutenant or the Captain will decide how to proceed..."

thamolas
2011-08-10, 09:42 AM
"I'll do that. Thanks again."

Otto bathes, eats, and hunkers down in a bunk.

Monodominant
2011-08-10, 01:02 PM
He is woken up in late morning by Giacomo.

"Hey! Whats up? I heard some disconsenting rumors about last night? What the heck happened? Oh and the Lieutenant said she wants to see you when you are done with getting ready and breakfast and all that! I am about to go on patrol!" he said in a jumble of emotions and reactions.

thamolas
2011-08-10, 03:09 PM
"I'm still not entirely sure what happened, but somebody kidnapped my partner. Made it look like a robbery was in progress. I chased one of the perps when he fled and the victim was the kidnapper.... I better get moving. Don't want the L.T. to wait too long... Good luck out there, buddy."

Otto rushes through breakfast and hurries to meet Leutenant Firles.

Monodominant
2011-08-10, 03:51 PM
The woman is waiting for you in her own office. She is pacing up and down when you enter and gives you a hasty salute.

"Morning Corporal. So... no delays, what did the... corpse tell you?"

thamolas
2011-08-11, 09:20 AM
"I discovered that the man they attacked was indeed the man they were working for. Also, the corpse referred to him as 'our dear, good and gentle Monsigniore Malahai'. Both men met this Malahai character 'at a tavern in Old Town', but the corpse didn't know where Sgt Ronald was being taken... Considering that the acid in the mouth of the other corpse was likely planted by their 'boss', I'd say these men were dupes."

Monodominant
2011-08-11, 12:12 PM
The Lt looks at you as she frowns.

"Interesting..." she says half way through your story.

"I have never heard of that name... I would expect that whoever did this placed the acid to destroy our chances at using speak with dead. They probably did not have a chance to go back and get the other body which means we have some info they didnt want us to have...." she says as she considers your words.

"Very well. Corporal, if you are not against the idea as this is not an order, I want you to head to Old Town and scour the taverns there. Perhaps you can learn something and I believe one man may be more able to gather this info than a squad... plus I dont want to have to deal with the Old Town precinct right now..." she says and looks at you.

thamolas
2011-08-11, 04:13 PM
"Undercover work. It just might be what the barber ordered. I'd be happy to undertake this. How long can I go before checking in?"

Monodominant
2011-08-11, 05:04 PM
"It may sound very restrictive but you are still new so I would ask you check in every other day. You dont have to see me personally. If you leave a message for me it will be good enough. Do ask for me if you find out anything though or if you think you will need backup..." she says and leans back towards the desk.

"If you wish I can assign you a partner... just to keep an eye on you, he wont get in your way... but its up to you..."

thamolas
2011-08-12, 09:29 AM
" A partner would be a good idea, in case those dupes were magically commanded somehow - I don't want to succumb to a similar fate."

Monodominant
2011-08-12, 09:46 AM
The lieutenant nods.

"Very well, I have a man right for the job. His name is Corporal Evan Slontse and he has been on quite a few undercover missions. Do you have any questions before I send you off? Its best if you meet on the field and pretend to know each other... you will take the lead on this but heed his call as he is an experienced officer..." she says and opens the drawer of her desk and throws you what looks like a small bowler hat.

"This is for you. I need it back when you are done or you WILL be charged for it. Its a basic hat of disguise..." she says and smiles.

thamolas
2011-08-12, 10:12 AM
"How will I recognize him?"

Monodominant
2011-08-14, 02:18 AM
" That is a good question. Evan is... how shall I put it... good at keeping himself as part of the background despite his... distinctiveness." she says and smiles.

" Well in any case, I will send word and he will meet you near the district entrance by the Prancing Prawn. Its a tavern that is famously divided between the two districts and as such would be a good starting point. He will be wearing a deep blue cloak and well..he... he is a halfling." she says and grins.

thamolas
2011-08-14, 10:36 AM
"Then I should ready my disguise and head over there right away."

Otto removes his guard uniform, dons his peasant clothes, and uses the magic hat to look like a blood member of his adopted family.

Monodominant
2011-08-14, 01:37 PM
She dismisses you and you do all of the above sucessfully.

thamolas
2011-08-14, 10:12 PM
Otto walks to the district entrance by the Prancing Prawn.

Monodominant
2011-08-15, 01:48 PM
He finds the tavern easily. It is not as if there is a clear line indicating which district is which but generally he notices a small difference in the age of the buildings and also the quality of the building materials.

The tavern itself is a three story buidling that has a large wooden sign outside depicting a prawn riding a jumping horse.

thamolas
2011-08-15, 03:13 PM
Otto hangs around the area, waiting for Evan the halfling.

Monodominant
2011-08-15, 03:23 PM
After approximately an hour of waiting he sees a halfling female. She is wearing a blue cloak of rich fabric and has very strong makeup.

Her overall outfit actually reminds you of a... working woman as she sways her hips and approaches the entrance of the tavern.

Halfway there she spots you since you have not made any attempt to hide yourself and winks at you.

thamolas
2011-08-15, 04:18 PM
I didn't think there was a reason to hide; people waiting to meet other people isn't unusual.

Otto approaches her like a casual 'street' acquantance.

"Blue's yer color, darlin'!"

Monodominant
2011-08-16, 04:30 AM
Didnt say there WAS a reason for you to hide... Just said you didnt do it :)

The halfling grins and gives you a wide smile that is strangely alluring.

"It is, isn't it darling! And how about you mister handsome peasant! Perhaps..." she says and stops mid sentence innocently...

"...perhaps you and I can relieve you of all the worries in the world down this dark alley?" she says and starts to move towards that direction.

thamolas
2011-08-16, 03:23 PM
"Sounds relieving!" Otto agrees and joins the halfling in the alley.

Monodominant
2011-08-17, 12:33 AM
After entering the alley and reaching a spot not easily visible from the street in a shadowy patch of the alley the halfling turns and approaches you with great speed pushing her body on yours.

"So sugar, what can mama Evana do for you?"

thamolas
2011-08-17, 02:13 PM
Otto explains the situation, cutting whatever she seems to already to know. "We've got to find this character and Sergeant Ronald, if he's still alive."

Monodominant
2011-08-17, 11:51 PM
She doesnt seem to know the details of your case so she listens intently.

"Very well... so what we can do is that I can take you around the shadier parts of Old Town and see what we learn about men for hire etc. We can pretend to be... a couple... and listen in on conversations etc... unless if you want to work alone and I can prowl the streets near where you will be...?"

thamolas
2011-08-18, 04:24 AM
"Posing as a couple is a good idea. Maybe we can sniff out a lead."

Monodominant
2011-08-18, 06:32 AM
"Then lead the way honey, I like to see them buns amoving... do you wanna check out the Prawn or shall we head in the deeper and dirtier parts of Old Town?" she says with a seductive smile.

thamolas
2011-08-18, 08:52 AM
"We're here, we might as well check it out."

Otto walks on in.

Should we begin by speeding through this with GI checks? Or would it be better to "play out" each tavern?

Monodominant
2011-08-18, 12:25 PM
That is up to you...

each option has its own benefits... checking out each one may lead to interesting opportunities but will for sure take longer in real time (as in OOCly).

Alternatively you can even take 20 on gather info... that does mean 20d4+20 hours off course... or you can roll me a dozen gather infos and either stop if you get a 20 or do them all if not...

Up to you...

Keep in mind my sig though, after tonight I am out for 2 weeks during which I will have limited access in any case!

thamolas
2011-08-18, 02:13 PM
Oh, then I had better take the dozen roll route.

[roll0]

Ah, got a nat 20 on the frst roll!

Monodominant
2011-08-18, 05:19 PM
Nice! I did not realise you dont have any ranks at it though :D

In any case, you also get the +2 from aid another of your partner and another +2 circumstantial for having a good cover for a total of 24.

It also takes [roll0] hours to get the below.

You learn that there is a particularly shady tavern in Old Town called "Four Winds". Though noone mentions it directly you hear that various elements of the underworld find or ask for jobs though that place by the key word "strong work". This usually mean criminal activity that involves physical aspects like extortion, abduction or murder and the like.

People with the description of the two thugs had been seen in that tavern a few days ago.

You dont learn anything about the Sergeant or his possible whereabouts.

About Malahai you learn that he used to be a relatively low influence criminal leader until up to 8 months ago. Something changed during that time and he seemed to either receive alot of backing or had developed additional personal power which lead him to become a rising star. He rarely is known to get his hands dirty and generally the people you talk to dont seem to want to go into details if they do know any...

thamolas
2011-08-18, 05:27 PM
Evana and Otto head to the "Four Winds".

On the way:

Otto alters his magical disguise slightly to look like a shady ciminal type dressed in black.

"Evana, this is probably the jackpot. I think we should infiltrate Malahai's gang before reporting back, in case Ronald isn't being held there. What do you think?"

Monodominant
2011-08-18, 05:43 PM
"I have not really heard that he works with a gang anymore... he just seems to have powerful allies... its up to you Otto but I just want to make sure we dont bite more than we can chew while without backup options... but its your call..." she says her previous fun behavior now absent from her serious words.

You arrive outside the place after changing appearances.

The building itself is somewhat run down though you notice the door is in good repair. There are a couple of individuals loitering outside but they dont seem to pay you alot of attention.

As you may see in the signature I will be out for the next couple of weeks... I will try to post when I have internet but it will be slow... I hope thats okay for you...

thamolas
2011-08-18, 06:02 PM
"You're right. Bringing in backup will increase the chances of blowing the investigation, but there's no point in risking three lives. We should check in at the very least."

We head back to the guardhouse to check in with the Lt. On the way, Otto reverts to being disguiseless.

Have fun!

Monodominant
2011-08-18, 06:14 PM
Half way through the halfling stops and smiles.

"You go on ahead and I will meet you back here tomorrow or later today... me and the Lt dont exactly see eye to eye... feel free to tell her all details but I'd rather not see her if I dont have to" she says and you detect a hint of resentment in her voice if not something deeper.

You arrive at the station without incident and are told that the Lt will be availiable in an hour or so. You have time to get something to eat and/or rest.

thamolas
2011-08-18, 08:00 PM
Otto eats and relaxes, keeping an eye out for his training companions.

Monodominant
2011-08-22, 09:30 AM
As he finishes his lunch he sees the "couple" of Old Towners enter. They seem tired and worn out, you also notice the dust that has covered at the bottom of their uniform trousers and can safely assume they are back from their own first shift/patrol.

The girl collapses on the mess table while her companion brings food for both of them. They dont seem to have noticed you yet.

thamolas
2011-08-22, 04:16 PM
"Nathan! Karin!" Otto exclaims and walks over to their table and sits with them. "Looks like you finished your first patrol. How is everything?"

Monodominant
2011-09-02, 04:21 AM
Karin smiles with some excitement but Nathan seems a bit more serious.

"Yes it was very nice! Tiring for sure but it was nice to walk around the streets without fear feeling like we own it..." she said and smiled.

Nathan shrugs his shoulders as he stops next to you.

"I was a bit bored and my feet are sore... and the old timer they put on us just cant stop yammering about good old days and stuff like that! Its like I am sitting with my grandad again!"

Karin pushes him gently and playfully

"Oh be quiet! Now you sound like a grandad. Anyway, how about your first day?" she asks you.

thamolas
2011-09-02, 10:53 AM
"Pretty bad, really. An arch-criminal, somebody named Malahai, faked a robbery attempt so that he could kidnap my partner. Investigating this, I discovered that he frequents a place called 'Four Winds' to hire thugs and the like... You two are from Old Town. Do you know anything about Malahai or this 'Four Winds' place?"

Monodominant
2011-09-03, 08:32 AM
They both frown at what you tell them.

"That is dreadful!" replies the girl.

"Worse than that! I thought that once we became Guard we would not worry about such things but if they can just abduct an officer like that this is even more worrysome" says Nathan.

After a moment of thought Karin continues.

"So, Malahai no, I've not heard the name... but it could be an alias or something. The Four Winds though is infamous. There is smuggling and drug trade rumored to happen there and even worse its the place to find thugs of the worst kind. I would be carefully around that place as questions and suspicious activity could get you killed even by people who you are not directly chasing or looking for..."

Nathan nods

"If you ever find yourself in trouble say you work for Varn the Breaker. It wont save you more than once or twice, especially if Varn finds out about it, but it may buy you enough time to come up with a cover story or even get you out of a tough spot and give your enemies a moment to think..." he tells you very quietly.

thamolas
2011-09-03, 04:41 PM
"Thanks for the info. I'm glad you two had a better shift than I did. I've got to track down the lieutenant. I'll talk with you more later."

Otto goes into the guardhouse and looks for Lieutenant Firles.

Monodominant
2011-09-04, 02:03 AM
He finds her in her office speaking with a man in plain clothes.

As you enter she dismisses him and motions you to approach.

"Hello again Corporal. So... what news have we got so far?"

thamolas
2011-09-04, 02:10 PM
"Evan and I discovered that this Malahai character frequents a place called "Four Winds". Apparently it is a notorious place in Old Town. He is a non-affiliated criminal that's been rising in power quickly. Evan and I could try to infiltrate Four Winds, but it's a really dangerous place without backup. Or we could raid it, but our odds of finding Ronald that way are about 60-40 at best. We weren't sure what to do next, so I'm checking in."

Monodominant
2011-09-05, 09:13 AM
The woman stands up and paces up and down the room in deep thought.

"We are at a cross roads here Corporal. Either decision can lead to the death of a dedicated officer. So far noone has come forward asking for ransom so the Sergeant was taken either for information or for personal revenge. If I send you alone, a stealth operation having higher chances of success, it would mean risking two more Guardsmen. If I send you and a team to storm the place we may end up with nothing and having tipped off the abductors... and they seem the kind to take precautions..." she says as she turns to look at you.

"As either mission can have a great amount of personal danger I ask for your input. Are you willing to go down either path or should I assign someone else? There is no shame in a feeling of self-preservasion but there is also no turning back if you accept. I also need to know which of the two options do you feel more comfortable with... Its been two days almost since we lost the Sergeant and we have no guarantees he is even still alive..." she finishes as her penetrating stare focuses on you.

thamolas
2011-09-05, 03:00 PM
"I think that an infiltration mission might be too risky. I hate to say it so bluntly, but why risk two more officers to rescue one who might well be dead already? But a raid will have an added benefit: there are almost certainly wanted criminals present that we can apprehend and, considering that it is a hive of criminal activity, we might save other lives. Who knows what sorts of mischief might be occurring in the lower levels of such a place? Slavery? Forced prostitution? Illegal experiments? A safehouse for criminals on the lam? Smuggling? And, of course, Ronald might be held on the premesis - my guess would be that the odds of that being true are greater than fifty percent. And if he's not, we might dig up a witness (willing or unwilling) or some other 'hard' clue. If you want my opinion, I say raid it!"

Monodominant
2011-09-06, 03:49 AM
She considers your words for a few moments and then nods.

"Very well. I will discuss with the Captain how we can coordinate with the Old Town guard house since this is in their territory while maintaining the lead on this." she says and returns to her desk.

"Whatever we do wont be happening today so feel free to rest or would you rather I send you on another patrol to help clear your head?"

thamolas
2011-09-06, 09:25 AM
"I can't believe that the Old Town precinct tolerates such an obvious hive of crime in their back yard... Yes, I need some rest. Thank you, Lieutenant."

Otto grabs a hearty meal.

What time of day is it?

Monodominant
2011-09-06, 09:45 AM
"The Old Town precinct is under staffed and underpaid... and there is rumored corruption in their ranks. But still... even if they are bad at their job they are fellow Guardsmen..." she says seriously before you go.

It is late afternoon, early evening.

thamolas
2011-09-06, 09:09 PM
Otto parts with a "I meant no disrespect" line and an appropriate goodbye before taking in dinner at the mess hall. Any familiar faces?

Monodominant
2011-09-07, 05:08 AM
From the group of people you trained with everyone but Erik is present at the mess hall.

You also notice two of the guards that were with you when you went out with the search party.

thamolas
2011-09-07, 12:54 PM
Are they all sitting together?

Monodominant
2011-09-08, 06:17 AM
Your co-trainees are sitting together along with one other senior guardsman.

The two men you recognise sit with another two men you have not seen before...

thamolas
2011-09-08, 11:45 PM
Otto walks over to his trainee buddies and sits with them.

Monodominant
2011-09-09, 04:51 AM
You get heartfelt nods and they move so you can sit comfortably.

"I hear you are the talk of the precinct Otto" says from behind Erik as he also approaches the table.

"Yea!" exclaims Giacomo "He has the hottest case for a young guard ever!" he continues and you sense a slight irritation from Erik's side as he sits down without saying a further word.

Your comrades bombard you with questions about details, plans and every single thing about your case.

thamolas
2011-09-09, 04:00 PM
"You guys are lucky. The last thing a guard wants is to risk his neck or to risk his buddies' necks. Crime is a dish best served cold. I envy you guys."

Otto starts eating.