PDA

View Full Version : Cibum clypeus IC

Moranica
2011-07-25, 02:46 AM
A searing flash of pain bounces through you head as you slowly awaken. Around you the ground seems burned. You clothes are in threads and the rest of your belongings are missing.

And then you remembered.... You were just living your life as it was when suddenly, the world exploded in a fountain of colors and sensations. It quickly turned black as your brain must have shut down to protect itself.

Taking a couple of deep breaths makes the pain dull a bit. Laying on the ground around you are several others, none of them familiar. Then, you hear a scream, a shout of anger as a bewildered man comes charging out of the bushes, swinging a sword above his head....

Battle thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11490389#post11490389)

ufis
2011-07-25, 04:14 AM
"Ugh. Head pain."

I look around, trying to make sense of my situation, when the man charges out of the bush.

Fighting instincts kick in, the sudden increase in heart rate not helping for the pain in my head.

I try to judge how far the charging man is away (how much time I have until he gets to me) while quickly scanning the area for anything I can use as a weapon even a rock I can throw.

Distance check: [roll0] (+0 for WIS check or -2 for INT check)
Spot for weapon: [roll1]

Moranica
2011-07-25, 04:23 AM
The man is 60 ft. away. There are plenty rocks and sticks around. (free rocks, clubs and quarterstaffs for everyone!! :smallbiggrin:)

GuyFawkes
2011-07-25, 07:20 AM
The young man wanted to stay down and rest with his head spinning and his body in pain. He looked around and saw others like himself, bewildered and knocked off their feet.

He started to right himself up when a shout pierced through his already busted eardrum. He snapped his head towards the direction of the source on instinct and saw the image of a creature running towards his direction with a sword swinging. His first reaction was to roll over to the side and grab something to defend himself with and waited for the attacker to close in.

Moranica
2011-07-25, 09:37 AM
He has crudely fashioned leather armor, a longsword which is of good quality, but poorly kept and a sack on his back. In the sack you find 10 pieces (that would translate to 10 gp) worth of dried meat, nuts and roots (preservable food), some strings used for trapping, a flask of water and some flint.

The clearing you are in is over 500 feet in diameter and surrounded on all sides by thick decideous forest. The only landmarks would be the blackened patches were you appeared, close to the side of the clearing.

600 xp for each!

phiris
2011-07-25, 01:24 PM
Sitting up slowly, Aleksandr reached for a rock, just as the half-orc's club connected with the barbarian's skull. Letting out a low groan as he hoisted himself up, he took a look at the clearing, studying the surrounding forest for any other activity, and the others in the clearing. Lucky hit mate, well done. Any clue how we got here? throwing his rock at the dead body, he approaches cautiously and examines him. Think you can use this? he asks, referring to the longsword, while he attempts to identify the nuts and roots. (Know:Nature [roll0])
Knowing what plants are edible, what plants are in the region, the particular climate and such can be learned from this, though if there is no reference than its understandable that he needs more information.

Moranica
2011-07-25, 01:56 PM
You recognize some of the plaats. You're pretty sure everything is edible.

ufis
2011-07-25, 02:17 PM
As the crazy man falls to the ground I look around for more crazy people. Seeing someone approach I pick up the sword and take a step or two back, keeping the dead man between myself and the human walking closer. Only his casual movement and the fact that he is unarmed stopping me from outright attacking. "You a crazy man?", pointing the sword at him.

After realising that this human looks to be in the same situation as I am I relax a little, but remain standing in such a position as to not turn my back on any of the others. "Horroar not know where we are. I keep sword."

Thunder Chicken
2011-07-25, 03:21 PM
Prescott gets up just as the half-orc hits the attacker with his club. What happened? Where are my brothers? The fortress? he wonders. Prescott sees the half-orc pick up the longsword. He was more than willing to fight the beast, but given the circumstances, he prefers to wait. Everyone be calm. There might be others waiting to strike. He addresses the half-orc in his own language. Put the sword down. No one is trying to hurt you right now.

ufis
2011-07-25, 03:42 PM
I reply in common "Horroar keep sword. I make sure you not hurt him." With that I take another step back, towards the forest. The humans make me nervous, I am outnumbered. And I do not understand what is happening here, making me a little on edge.

Psilulz
2011-07-25, 04:41 PM
"Calm down there, mate. Doubt any of here are out to hurt you." Kincaid eyes the man with the sword warily, as if ready for trouble.

phiris
2011-07-25, 05:18 PM
To the half-orc, realizing his demeanor is that of fearful uncertainty, Aleksandr tries to calm him, putting himself between the half-orc and the other humans, hands held open to display nothing but the sack he was searching Easy buddy, relax, you think an old fool like me has the guts to take you on? keep the sword, I feel safer with you having it than the other guy. motioning to the dead barbarian.

Call me Aleksandr, any clue where we are? we should see about getting shelter, or get out of this clearing at the least... Does no one know why we're here? What happened? Why... Too many unanswered questions running through his mind, Aleksandr trailed off, falling silent for a moment before, What are your names? Horroar, correct? I will not hurt you.

Thunder Chicken
2011-07-25, 05:50 PM
The half-orc had the only real weapon and, judging by the way he killed the attacker, he was dangerous. It would be unwise to let him run into the forest and give him the opportunity to ambush someone. I will not allow anyone to be harmed. You can hold on to the sword, orc. Prescott turned away, thinking it would be better to let someone else calm Horroar.

Prescott around the clearing. He looked and listened for anyone else who may have been with the barbarian.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Listen

GuyFawkes
2011-07-25, 11:43 PM
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, stop talking loudly, you guys. My head splits every time you do. And please calm down," he interrupted while holding his head. "And the guy's right, instead of panicking, check out the surroundings first. There might be more of those coming," and proceeded in doing what he just said.

[roll0], [roll1]

ufis
2011-07-26, 12:45 AM
Horroar

For some reason I trust the words of the human in front of me. "Alecsadr? Horroar walk with you. You take armour", pointing to the dead guy, "I take sword."

I will stay close to Aleksandr, but not too close. All the time I keep my eyes on the other humans, especially Prescott (without knowing his name). Humans slaves in my tribe were rarely allowed to speak Orcish. And he did try to take my sword.

I also try to make sense of my surroundings and current location.

Spot: [roll0] (-2 because I am also trying to keep an eye on the other humans)
Listen: [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]

Moranica
2011-07-26, 09:10 AM
You don't see or hear any other people.

Horroar knows which way is north.

ufis
2011-07-27, 04:39 AM
Horroar

"We need find shelter. And wise shaman to tell us about funny colours in head. Come, Alecsadr."

If nobody else takes the armour I will check to see if it fits me. If it does I will wear it, otherwise discard it.

If I have seen something that looks like a path leading into the forest I will take that route (which direction does it go?) otherwise I will head west into the forest. I will not leave without Aleksandr following.

GuyFawkes
2011-07-27, 09:34 AM
The young man decided it be best if they stuck together as a group. They'd have a bigger chance of surviving wherever they were at and whatever may come at them, and he spoke his mind to the others. "I think we should stick together as a group. By the way, anybody got a clue to what's happening here? And where the hell are we?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-07-27, 10:42 AM
Prescott saw and heard nothing. He relaxed a little, but was still tense. He had after all suddenly been transported to parts unknown. Prescott picked up a stick he could use a club. He's right. We have been put here together for a reason.

He looks over to Aleksandr. Aleksandr, correct? I am Prescott.

edit: didn't close the bold

phiris
2011-07-28, 03:30 PM
yes, lets move. bending down, Aleksandr picked up a few rocks and put them in the sack, following horroar west out of the clearing. I'd like to say it was a pleasure, prescott, but I dont think you wanted to be here either.

Moranica
2011-07-29, 06:08 AM
The group moves west. The weather is good and a brisk wind blowing in the back has the group making good progress. It turns out the small forest the're in is surrounded by a much larger plain.

After half a day of trekking evening comes.

ufis
2011-07-29, 06:27 AM
Horroar

As nobody seemed interested in the armour I have taken it and are now wearing it.

As the day grows late I start looking out for a good camping spot. Something that is defendable, and if needs be provides some protection from bad weather. I also look out for some extra food and water, especially water since the one flask will not last very long.

Spot:[roll0]
Survival:[roll1]

Moranica
2011-07-29, 07:42 AM
Horroar finds the group a small dried out riverbed to camp in and some eatable roots and tubers for diner. There are some murky puddles with water.

phiris
2011-07-29, 08:16 AM
moranica, if these rolls dont work, please reroll them for me:
(add 1 to both for cunning knowledge
survival
[roll0]
Knowledge (nature)(if he knows a purificatio process for the water)
[roll1]

Moranica
2011-07-29, 08:18 AM
The survival check tells you, you could run to water through a cloth to filter out some of the dirt.

GuyFawkes
2011-07-29, 02:47 PM
Heath decided to stick with the group and took the rear as they headed west. On the way, he tried to look for materials he could use as improvised tools, like sturdy vines that can be used as rope, small to medium sized stones, and sticks.

[roll1]
Evening found them near a dried out riverbed and the group decided to make their camp there. While the others busied themselves with foraging for their basic needs of food and water, he started making out what he could do with he things he collected on the way.
[roll2] [roll=Craft(weaponmaker)]1d20+5

First on his list would be make a fire. Next if he found some sturdy vines, make them into improvised rope(maybe do some 20 feet of this before moving on to his next task). Then if he got some good stones, shape them to sharpen their edges so he could use them for cutting. The time frame for this would be the number of hours before they sleep so the progress for that time would follow the above priority and finish up to what the allotted time would permit.

Moranica
2011-07-29, 04:33 PM
Anything that has a cost listed must be made with craft. Any material you use for crafting has to be gathered with profession. Survival will get you lot's of temporary things that have no cost (like fire, shelter etc.)

Also note that both craft and profession have a minimum time consumption of one day, in which you cannot travel

GuyFawkes
2011-07-30, 08:50 AM
I don't know why you need to know woodcutting or mining to collect vines, sticks, and stones, but anyway, the rolls if these would still count. Otherwise, charge to experience.

Profession(mining and woodcutting): [roll0]

And well, since it counts per day, I guess I'll start making the tools the next day. Making fire would be the priority I guess.

Moranica
2011-07-30, 09:15 AM
You are making good tools. That don't break at the first use. You need the skill to recognise good wood, that won't start rotting. Stones that will hold together, but can still be shaped etc. etc.

Thunder Chicken
2011-07-31, 07:34 PM
Prescott went west with the group. As the others went about their business building a fire and looking for water, Prescott surveys the sky, trying to get a sense of the next day's weather.

Survival: [roll0]

ufis
2011-08-01, 08:00 AM
Horroar

After pointing out the camp site I find most suitable I look around for something to eat. I distribute the roots and tubers I find. (If somone makes a fire) "This taste better cooked" and proceed to arrange the tubers around the fire to cook it a bit.

"Horroar is first watch."

During guard duty:
Spot: [roll0]

Staying awake [roll2] +whatever modifier is used here
OOC:I had a DM that had us roll these after some hard traveling so I just roll it if the DM wants to use it

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-01, 03:21 PM
With absolutely no idea what the weather will be tomorrow, Prescott joins the others. He wasn't comfortable with Horroar keeping watch. The half-orc was possibly unstable and Prescott was not prepared to let the beast protect him from barbarians, bears, and basset hounds. We should figure out what we are going to do tomorrow before anything else.

phiris
2011-08-01, 06:04 PM
Well this place seems as good as any other, we're away from the woods... doesn't look like there's much out there past this plain. If we were to follow this riverbed back to its source, we may find better what than this. I'd prefer something more than these rocks if we're going to encounter any other indigenous peoples, let alone the creatures of this forest.What is the environment of the forest and plain?As it is, I think this bed is as good as it gets, since we have enough shelter and near enough to the forest, raw materials and food, though this water...

If we stay here, even a day, our chances may improve. Horroar, if I could use some binding from your armor, I can try to make some rudimentary tools, maybe even a sling, so I may join you in combat.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-01, 10:31 PM
"I agree," butted in Heath. "The best thing we could do right now is stay somewhere, most probably here, and prepare making tools and other things we need such as weapons before venturing out some more. I know a little bit about making weapons. How about you guys? "

ufis
2011-08-02, 12:29 AM
In between mouths full of roots I follow the conversation casually.
In reply to Aleksandr:
"Horroar knows about shaman to west."
Horroar is still making direction decisions based on his location before the blackout. His mind has not fully grasped that he may be hundreds or thousands of miles away from where he was
"Wanted to ask shaman about this" waving my hand to indicate the general situation. "But you speak smart. Horroar not protect everyone every time. You need weapon. Horroar find you good wood for weapon. In the morning."

I will give Aleksandr as much of the leathers as he needs, even to the point of lowering the protective properties of the armour, or even the whole set if he asks for it.

I will also spend some time to try and clean up the sword a bit.

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-02, 12:00 PM
I may be able to find some ore tomorrow. Of course, if we are to stay here, we should build a better shelter. Staying with this bunch of strangers was in no way Prescott's ideal situation. However, he had no choice for the time being. Horroar seemed to, inexplicably, have some idea where the group was, and finding this 'shaman' was Prescott's best chance of finding his way home.

The barbarian had some flint. Does anyone remember where it went?

phiris
2011-08-02, 06:49 PM
Which direction does this riverbed run?

reaching into the sack, Aleksandr withdraws the flint, tossing it to the man.
Here's the flint. My eyes aren't what they used to be, I'm early waking up though, so I'll take last shift. I know a thing or two about tools, but history is filled with weaponised tools. I think some shelter would be nice as well, though I'd like a good permanent roof, I'll see what I can do.

Survival to make shelter: [roll0]
Listen during shift: [roll1]
Spot during shift: [roll2]

GuyFawkes
2011-08-02, 10:56 PM
"Yes, yes. Maybe we can divide the work, then? To be more organized. And I'll be taking the watch after Hoarror then."

Rolls for my watch:
[roll0]
[roll1]

ufis
2011-08-03, 06:35 AM
"Horroar not think this is good place for house. Nice camp. But not house. No water close."

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-03, 07:50 AM
Constructing a make shift shelter takes some time, but Aleks finishes and looks please with his handywork.
Then a short cool breeze comes up the the rolling hills of the grasslands and obliterates the shelter. It is too late to make another attempt as night has fallen.

First watch results

night seems quiet. Horroar catches glimpes of somethings just at the edge of his darkvision. They are in the trees in the forest to the west. But Horroar can't make out what they are. They don't approach.

2nd shift

Uneventful

3rd

uneventful

A light rain begins to fall. It is fairly cold, but not raining heavily yet.

ufis
2011-08-03, 02:07 PM
Spotting some movement I walk closer (40 or 50 feet) to inspect. Not really seeing anything I return to my post.

Later I wake Heath up. "Something in the woods. But it not come closer. Horroar think they scared."

I find a comfy place to sleep, holding my sword.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-03, 06:02 PM
Heath awoke to the barbarian's call and was alert through his watch because of the latter' warning, but his watch ended uneventful. He waked Aleksandr when his shift ended, also sharing the warning, and went back to his spot to sleep, carrying his club along with him.

phiris
2011-08-03, 10:06 PM
after a bit of effort, Aleksandr wakes up enough to take watch, though in all honesty he was not really trying. By dawn, he was ready to get the others moving.

Psilulz
2011-08-04, 12:17 AM
Kincaid slept through the night like a baby. If roused to wake up, he will not stir at all, but will wake slowly after dawn. He still looks terrible, but much better than before.

ufis
2011-08-04, 01:55 PM
Horroar

I wake up early, mostly from being cold and wet, and intentionally make a lot of noise to wake everyone else.
"We must build shelter. Good shelter," pointing at Aleksandr's failed attempt. "Horroar find wood. After breakfast" as my tummy starts to make hungry noises.

I will first look for something to eat for breakfast. Then I will spend the day looking for wood and rock that could specifically be used for tools and simple weapons (spears, clubs, axes).

Survival for food: [roll0]
Profession for resource gathering: [roll1]

Psilulz
2011-08-05, 04:37 AM
Kincaid
"Sounds like a plan my man. I suppose I could help you, if you want... Might be dangerous goin' off alone like that..."

GuyFawkes
2011-08-05, 05:20 AM
Heath wakes up after the camp started to burst into action. When he opened his eyes and saw the others and the surroundings, his heart somewhat sank. He had half hoped that it was all just a dream, and when he wakes up, he would be back to reality. But there was no use sinking back into depression now. He had to do his part to survive in this place, wherever it was, and find out what happened and how to go back to his home.

When he was up and about, he started to think what he would do for the day.

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-05, 09:45 AM
Prescott woke up displeased. He was still in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of strangers and now he was wet from the night's rain. Before doing anything else, he went off to the side to pray for several minutes. He prayed for strength in battle, for the safety of his monastic brothers, and even for blessings for his travel companions.

After he finished praying, Prescott returns to the group. Can you search while we walk? We must find water and get closer to the orc's 'shaman'. Prescott says 'shaman' somewhat mockingly. He had had disputes with orcs before and was never particularly fond of them.

phiris
2011-08-05, 11:59 AM
I was much too tired last night to do any decent construction. let's get to work getting materials. Aleksandr preferred to remain pragmatic about his situation, keeping busy kept him focused, and wishes didn't improve his situation.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-05, 12:38 PM
"Hmm, you mean for us to start moving again?" Heath directed the question to Prescott.

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-05, 02:04 PM
We should consider it. There is little water. Our shelter got blown apart. The orc killed a man and looted the body and there may be more like him nearby. If we could find an actual river, we'll have water and maybe we could fish. And we'll be able to guess about the geography depending on which way it flows.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-05, 02:54 PM
"Yes, yes. But traveling without weapons to defend ourselves with would be hard. And places with water attract animals. And where there are animals, there are hunters and predators. Yes, it is advantageous to stay somewhere close to a body of water, but maybe when we are more equipped, perhaps? I suggest we stay here if only until we make ourselves some weapons, then move to a more suitable location for a camp," pausing a bit to think, then continued, "But whatever the majority decides, I am willing to follow."

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-06, 03:59 PM
Fine. We can't stay any longer than a day or two before the risk becomes too great. Prescott tossed the flint to Heath. I'm going to look for food and water. We should make a fire and build a better shelter before making weapons.

Survival - [roll0]

phiris
2011-08-06, 08:16 PM
If you want a shelter we'll need proper tools. I'm an architect by trade but there is only so much you can do with hands and not tools. tools give us better materials than these stupid sticks and leaves. Fell us a tree and we've got ourselves a house. Hide yourself in the tree and we've got excellent shelter. We should beware the possibility of flooding if we remain here. Whatever we do we should do it.

With that, Aleksandr set off into the woods, searching for food before searching for materials necessary for crafting.

Search: [roll1]

GuyFawkes
2011-08-06, 11:11 PM
Heath caught the flint from Prescott and looked for a suitable place to make the fire.

[roll0]

ufis
2011-08-08, 12:25 AM
Horroar
I spend the next week (or until enough resources has been gathered) to find wood suitable for weapons and tools.
Every evening I take first guard.

Profession [roll0] (+3)
Listen [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-08, 12:32 AM
A long, cold day.
You move deeper into the forest and attempt to start a fire, which fails. You do find enough to eat for the day. Small insects, grubs and a bush of blackberries. Water is very easy as you feel nearly drowned by the constant rain.

ufis
2011-08-09, 10:44 AM
Horroar

"Horroar not likes this rain." I look at whatever resources I have gathered. "We make tools with this? Then we build shelter."

GuyFawkes
2011-08-09, 11:08 AM
Heath cursed under his breath at the rain, making it harder to start a fire. The cold weather and terrible conditions are slowly creeping into his head but he knew he had to stay calm. With nothing much to do, he tried his luck at making fire again.
Heath would be making the fire and try to maintain it every day (for today he will get three more attempts). The he would help in gathering materials for tools, but if there are enough materials from what the others gathered to start making them, he would start crafting at the earliest possible day. Spot and listen checks for his watch, he takes second watch each night.
Survival checks for making fire for the week(for the 4 maximum tries per day): all rolls +4
First try per day:[roll0]
Second try per day:[roll1]
Third try per day:[roll2]
Fourth try per day:[roll3]

Profession check for gathering materials: [roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7] [roll8] [roll9] [roll10]

Crafting check for making tools: [roll11] [roll12] [roll13] [roll14] [roll15] [roll16] [roll17]

Spot checks: [roll18] [roll19] [roll20] [roll21] [roll22] [roll23] [roll24]

Listen checks: [roll25] [roll26] [roll27] [roll28] [roll29] [roll30] [roll31]

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-09, 02:01 PM
After another day of damp rain and no food ends, spirits are at an all time low.
The next morning dawns with a break in the rain, but the sky is still overcast.
Heath starts a fire morning of the third day. He turns around and creates a sturdy shelter quickly. He and Horroar get together and start searching for materials to make into tools and weapons.

All week, during the night watches, everyone feels watched. You catch glimpses in the dark. You know the following about them:
Medium Sized.
Good at hiding
Sees at least as well as Horroar in the dark, maybe better.
More than 5, maybe a lot more.
Only seen at night.

Heath discovered an exposed vein of iron 1 mile away close to a flooding river. He was able to extract 6.6 gp of steel from it! It took most of the week to extract and smelt it though. Heath knows that with better tools he can get more. With enough steel, a person with Craft (tools) can make masterwork tools, allowing a +2 on professional checks.

Horroar climbed trees and stripped them of their lower branches, skinned some animals and spun hair into string, collecting 4.5 gp worth of string, leather and wood (divided any way you wish).

Though glad to find iron and usable wood and leather, everyone is started to feel weaker from the hunger.

ufis
2011-08-09, 02:17 PM
Horroar
On the morning after the rain I will go look for tracks in the mud around our camp site. This will not be a full day activity, just in the morning. Depending on what I find I may follow the tracks.

"Horroar feel watched every night. Not like it. Going to look in bush for tracks."

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Knowledge [roll2]

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-09, 03:30 PM
Don't go too far. You're the only one with an actual weapon.

Prescott looks for materials and tries to build a shelter.

Edit: rolls beyond salvage, see ooc

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-10, 10:21 PM
Horroar finds no tracks the next morning.

ufis
2011-08-12, 01:07 AM
"Horroar going to set some traps. Want to know who is watching us. Who wants to help Horroar?"

I spend a day to set some crude traps around our camp.
Using some of the string for some simple snares, trying to rig it rather cause some noise (rocks falling or dry leaves rustling) than to trap a human size creature.
I also dig some shallow pits (depth about the height of a man's knee). This has the intent to injure rather than kill. I put a couple of spikes at the bottom of the pits. The spikes will just be long enough to poke a nice hole into a foot. Then I cover the pits with branches and leaves.

I let everyone in the party know exactly where the traps are.

No idea what you want me to roll for this so here is a couple d20s

[roll0]

Let me know the amount of resources used

GuyFawkes
2011-08-12, 01:29 AM
"I'll go. Those...things...have been bothering me as well. Every night they get to observe us, they know more about us, but we don't know anything about them, not even what they are."

Same rolls as Hoarror
[roll0]

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-12, 10:49 AM
I will help as well. They may be waiting until we are weak to strike. Perhaps we could also illuminate the area with some torches.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3] [roll4]

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-13, 12:32 PM
Both Horroar and Prescott help Heath (who has the highest Survival score) craft 5 traps.

It takes the better part of the day to do so, but you feel better prepared tonight

ufis
2011-08-13, 01:57 PM
After a long days hard work I sit down and enjoys a bit of a rest. "Tonight Horroar finds out who is watching us." With that I prepare to take first watch.

spot [roll0]
listen [roll1]

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-13, 02:43 PM
Prescott prays for several minutes before going to sleep. Rather than asking for the usual blessings, he sings a battle hymn softly to himself. His singing voice is terrible, but Prescott is a soldier, not a minstrel.

He keeps his club near him and lies down. If you need help with them, orc, it will be given. Prescott is still not too fond of Horroar, but, given the circumstances, he would rather fight alongside him than alone.

GuyFawkes
2011-08-14, 12:27 AM
Satisfied with their work on the traps, Heath spends the remainder of the day maintaining their shelter and the fire. As the night approaches, he prepares to sleep.

"Hey, wake me up when it's my turn, eh? Or when the traps snag something," he told Hoarror before turning in.

Survival for fire: [roll0]

ufis
2011-08-28, 02:55 AM
With the last goblin submitting I decide not to kill it immediately. The perfect orc intrigues me.

I grab it by the front of it's armour and picks it up to my eye level. (1)

(In orc) "Tell me about your masters!" I will shake him once or twice and growl a little if it seems that he does not want to talk. (2)

If he starts to divulge some information my next question will be:
"Do they have a shaman?"

If he does not want to talk:
I will gag him and tie him to a tree.

(Afterwards in common) "Goblin claims there is orcs nearby. They may have shaman to tell us whats going on here."

(1) STR [roll0]
(2) Intimidate [roll1]

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-28, 02:17 PM
Prescott comes over to where Horroar has the goblin. You spoke with him? In what language? Prescott sees Horroar's sword covered in blood and is wary of him interrogating the goblin.

OOC: If Prescott finds out the goblin speaks orc, he will try to interrogate him on his own.

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-28, 10:00 PM
(In orc) "Tell me about your masters!" I will shake him once or twice and growl a little if it seems that he does not want to talk. (2)

If he starts to divulge some information my next question will be:
"Do they have a shaman?"

(In Orc)
Oh yes! They are a great Orc camp, 150 strong, 3 days walking to the west. They claim all the forest for their own. They were very generous in sparing some of us for certain tasks, such as scouting and sneaking.
After the great darkness, they found us, gave us shelter and food and only tortured us a little. We goblins do much work for them.

They do have a powerful shaman, she is well respected, and creates food for the faithful and death for the shameful. We love her and fear her.

ufis
2011-08-29, 01:23 AM
"What gods do they follow? Are they blood thirsty, more so than other orcs? Who leads the tribe? Does he lead by force or by blood? Are they a mixed tribe, made up from several other tribes? Why do they send goblins to do their bidding?" I continue to ask questions about the orc tribe, trying to gauge their mood towards outsiders, and more importantly half orc outsiders.
I was looking for a shaman. Now that I found one I am trying to find the safest way to talk to him her.

If Prescott interferes I will growl at him too and tell him to wait until I am done.
For the DM:This is done more as a show of power to the goblin than for any other reason.

As to the questioning: I am trying to figure if the orcs will kill me on sight, or if a message via the goblin may get me an audience, or will a show of power give me an audience, or maybe some goblin heads on spikes (or even some orc heads).
The leaders method of rule should also give me some insight.

"In the morning you will take me to the orc tribe."

Horroar does seem a little smarter when speaking orc, it is his native language after all.
His questions all relate to society as he knows it, so I do not think it is "too smart" for his intelligence.

When I finish my talk with the goblin I turn to Prescott.
(common)"You ask question now."
(orc) "The creature is not to be harmed." Prescott has spoken orc to me before, so I know he understands.
(common) "He takes me to see orcs in morning."

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-29, 09:57 PM
"What gods do they follow? Are they blood thirsty, more so than other orcs? Who leads the tribe? Does he lead by force or by blood? Are they a mixed tribe, made up from several other tribes? Why do they send goblins to do their bidding?"
"In the morning you will take me to the orc tribe."

(Still in Orc)
Gods? The goblin's expression is of a small lost child. The Shaman says the gods are dead. Their death has unmade the world. The Shaman guides us, leads us. The Orcs would have killed us goblins on sight, but the Shaman commanded them to spare our lives, said there was better use for us than sport.
Sometimes I wish the Shaman was more like the Orcs. He shudders.
If I return to the Shaman alone, without proof you are dead, mighty creature, she will kill me, quick and clean. If I were to guide you to the shaman, She will make me wish she would kill me. No. Better for you if you stay away. Even better for you to find the orcs on your own. I can give you detailed instructions. All I ask is that you make my death quick and clean and save her the trouble. The Orcs and the Shaman would respect you more if you say you found the camp on your own, without the help of a miserable goblin.

ufis
2011-08-30, 12:23 AM
A female leading an orc tribe? I think to myself. Dead gods?
(orc) "Is the shaman orc?"

GuyFawkes
2011-08-30, 08:19 AM
Heath stood by as the others interrogated the captured goblin, watching the surroundings for other possible attackers.

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-30, 04:01 PM
Prescott stood by while Horroar asked his questions. Dead gods? How can one kill a god? They are not of the mortal coil. What does a goblin know anyway? But... Prescott's thoughts drifted. He had never been as close to his god as others of his order had been. Sure, he had been given the strength to do miraculous things in battle just like any soldier, but he had never been given magic or healing powers like the priests. Maybe He is dead and I just can't feel it...but where did my strength come from? No, the goblin and his shaman are barbarians. They know nothing more than I do.

When Horroar finishes, Prescott whispers to him Stay by me for a moment. and approaches the goblin. He waits a moment to gather himself and hide his disdain. In a softer tone than Horroar, he asks, How long have you and your kind been enslaved? How did you live before this...cataclysm?

How many more of you are still enslaved? Are there any free goblins?

Are there any other tribes or villages you know of?

How do the orcs survive? Have they built farms? Where do they keep there food? Where do they get their water?

Prescott waits for an answer to each question before asking the next one.

Forbiddenwar
2011-08-30, 10:31 PM
(orc) "Is the shaman orc?"

No. She's strange, elven ears, slender and tall, but all in black. The Orcs are terrified of her, and worship her as a god. She saved them from starvation after the Screaming Darkness.

asks, How long have you and your kind been enslaved? How did you live before this...cataclysm?

3 years, nearly all my adult life. We lived in our own tribes, with our own leaders before.

How many more of you are still enslaved? Are there any free goblins?

All of us that are still alive, over 50, are enslaved. I know no goblin that is free. Some have tried to escape. he gulps. She showed us the price of leaving her. Death is far better.

Are there any other tribes or villages you know of?

No, we are alone in the forest. No one has dared to leave Her for more than a week, for fear of dying alone in the wilderness.

How do the orcs survive? Have they built farms? Where do they keep there food? Where do they get their water?
The shaman came after the screaming darkness, she showed the orcs how to grow food in caves. We do most of the growing and harvesting. Those in great favor feast with the Shaman, she makes food and water appear with a wave of her hand. Water comes from natural springs in the cave.

Thunder Chicken
2011-08-31, 02:15 PM
Wait here, Prescott tells the goblin. He walks over to a spot where he could still see the goblin, but it could not hear him. He then motions for Horroar and Heath to come over to him. Prescott relays the information he and Horroar received to Heath. Do either of you have any other questions for it?

GuyFawkes
2011-08-31, 02:26 PM
Heath took in all that Prescott relayed to him on what they got from the goblin. He took a moment to think things through before speaking. "Hmm, none really. Though the question that begs to be asked is what do we do?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-01, 04:45 PM
The orc wants it to lead him to the camp tomorrow. I don't know if it's a good idea. They know we're here and they know we are in the same group. They may just kill him once he arrives.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-01, 09:42 PM
"Yeah. But I doubt we could convince him not to go. Well, they would wonder why the scouts tonight did not return, or maybe we missed one of them and it went back to report. This is bad. Do you think we need to move from here as well?"

ufis
2011-09-02, 12:42 AM
I will not leave the goblin alone, for fear of him running away.

(common) "Goblin will run away. Need to tie him up."

Use rope (using some of the string for traps) [roll0]

After tying up the goblin I join the conversation.

"Goblin will tell Horroar where to find orcs. Horroar will go to orcs to talk to shaman. Goblin will stay behind. Help you make camp."

I smile a little when they talk about moving.

"You scared of orcs? Horroar is orc. You scared of Horroar?" I bare my teeth a little, in a fake growl. "Horroar go to orcs. Show them he is great warrior. Orcs leave you alone after that."

GuyFawkes
2011-09-02, 01:16 AM
Heath didn't find Hoarror's comments funny. He looked the barbarian in the eye and spoke. "Being scared and using your head are two different things, orc. Really doesn't matter if they're orcs or what. Hell, a human randomly attacked us when first we met. If they sent these goblins to watch us, that means they're wary of us. And we just killed said goblins, so I doubt it would be a good start. And they're a whole clan. You would also do well to mind about this strange shaman. She is not an orc, and from what the goblin said, she has everyone on their knees, so I doubt you being an orc would matter."

He then turned to Prescott. "Well, seeing as this guy is set on going, we should prepare for worst, eh? We could use what we got from the goblins."

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-02, 05:04 PM
We were mysteriously transported to who knows where all of a sudden, were attacked twice, and now know of a tyrannical shaman ruling a tribe of orcs. Right now, I'm afraid of everything, Prescott said to Horroar.

Prescott looked toward the goblin. The thing was clearly an evil creature, but a creature nonetheless, and it was enslaved. The thought angered Prescott. We can't do nothing. Leaving would not be a terrible idea, but I don't think I could forget the enslaved goblins, nor would I be able to stop wondering about who else the orcs might attack. Attacking them would be stupid, and leaving would be immoral.

ufis
2011-09-04, 04:01 PM
I step back from the conversation, my attempt at humour obviously lost on the humans. This was the first time I was interacting with humans that were not slaves.
So far it has not been good. Except for Alexandr, none of the humans seems to like me much. Or trust me. Even though I have saved them twice already.
Horroar feels that he was the pivot in both the encounters.
Sure, they have not tried to kill me or chase me away, but it just does not feel right.
A sudden yearning for more of my own turns me back to the goblin.

"Goblin, do you have a name?" I ask as I untie him. "Sit with me by the fire and tell me how to get to the orc camp. And tell me more about this shaman."

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-04, 08:01 PM
Prescott watched Horroar go over to the goblin. He seems to have no problem with slaves. He can't even imagine what it must be like to be that goblin. Maybe that can change...

Prescott turned toward Heath. Perhaps we can do something. The shaman knows we're in a group with Horroar, but it may not know our relationship. What if we let Horroar go with the goblin and tell them we enslaved him and now he has escaped and wants revenge. He whips the camp into a frenzy, causing them to send out hunting parties to certain areas looking for us. We prepare to attack the orcs in those predetermined areas, thus killing them off piecemeal.

If we kill enough of their warriors, Horroar might be able to make the goblins revolt. He could even let the one over there find us when he is ready to revolt so we can come help kill the shaman.

Of course, this would be better if we had one or two others and if the orc was on the more intelligent side, but we must work with what we have.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-04, 08:22 PM
Heath heard Prescott's plan out, then replies. "Yeah, that could work. But, I doubt the orc would agree with that. He is kinda set on what he wants to do. From the start he was rambling on about that shaman of his, and now that we confirmed that she's out there, I don't think we could do anything to sway his mind."

He looked towards Hoarror and the goblin, then continues. "And I don't want to put any more tension between us and him. He's one of them, you know. What could possibly prevent him from joining them and leaving us, or worse, turn on us? On the other hand, if he goes there alone, he could do that as well. Gah! I don't know what to do!"

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-04, 09:17 PM
Zusk, the goblin has no objection to being tied up.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-04, 09:58 PM
It's not the shaman he's thinking of. We don't know where we are. There is noway it's the same shaman. Perhaps if we explain just how grave the situation is to him, he'll come around. He may not realize how much danger we are in. Prescott sighed. If only Aleksandr was still here. He could get him to go along with it.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-04, 10:53 PM
"Yeah? He got along with Aleksandr alright. And yeah, I think this isn't the same shaman, but I doubt he cares about it. Well, we should think about what we should do for when he does decide to go on his own. What d'ya reckon we could do? Should we tail him?"

ufis
2011-09-05, 12:45 AM
After talking to the goblin for some time a sudden realisation comes to me.

(common) "Must move dead goblins. They will bring wild animals. Horroar move them."
(switching to orc) "Zusk help Horroar move dead goblins."

I proceed to collect all the goblin corpses and moving them about 10 minutes walk to the east of the camp, making several trips if needed. I also pat down every corpse to see if they have anything else with them (besides the armour and weapons we have collected already).

I keep a fine eye on the goblin the whole time.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-05, 10:35 AM
We can't let the orc go off on his own. They'll kill him. We'll explain the danger we're in -try to make him understand how bad our situation is- and then see if he wants to engage in some subterfuge for the greater good. Maybe if we spell everything out for him and show that we're including him, he'll be more cooperative. Agreed?

GuyFawkes
2011-09-05, 10:47 AM
Heath nodded. "Yeah, I suppose we could give it a shot."

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-05, 12:10 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]Alright then. We'll talk to him by the fire.[/COLOR Prescott slowly walks over to Horroar. While doing so, he thinks about the description of the shaman. Elven ears, black skin, makes food appear out of thin air. Perhaps he had run across such a creature in the past.

Knowledge Rolls
History [roll0]
Religion [roll1]
Int Check [roll2]

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-05, 10:11 PM
Prescott remembers that creating food and water, while not something every cleric can do, it is a common enough spell, something that 1 in 5 clerics can do.
(OOC details: a cleric has to be of 5th level or higher to cast it.)

Prescott's history is clear that he has never heard of any orcs obeying and working with an elf of any type. Orcs have always killed all elves on sight. To be told that this elf commands a band of orcs, is like seeing a dragon take commands from a chicken. It doesn't make any sense.

Prescott knows that the description matches a Drow Elf from the underdark, but he doesn't know much of those creatures. They have great darkvision and tend to worship Lolth. The women are considered to be far more dangerous and treacherous than the men.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-06, 01:05 PM
A drow ruling over orcs and goblins. Strange. And the goblin said she ruled from a cave. Perhaps she is using them to guard the entrance to a settlement. Or maybe something for their dark goddess. He checks to see if Heath is following him over. If he is not, Prescott motions for him to come.

Prescott sits down at the fire with Horroar and the goblin. We need to speak for a moment. Goblin, can you understand me?

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-06, 01:28 PM
Zusk doesn't react to Prescott's question.

ufis
2011-09-06, 01:40 PM
(orc) "Zusk, do you understand the man's tongue?"

If Zusk indicates he does not understand common, I will tell Heath as much.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-06, 10:42 PM
(In orc) Is the Human speaking? They can speak? I thought they only chittered like mad apes.

ufis
2011-09-07, 12:25 AM
I laugh a little at that comment, starting to like the spirit of the little one. Even in his dire situation he can still feel superior to those he deem lesser than himself. Even though I do not agree with that, I still admire his spirit.

"Zusk not understand you Preskot. Horroar can ... erm ... talk to Zusk for you." I fail to come up with the common word for 'translate'.
I will translate Prescott's questions to Zusk to the best of my ability.

(At some point to Zusk, when he insists on being killed.) "Why do you want to die? She will not be able to get you here. Would you rather stay here? If you help out Horroar will protect you."

(Still later after all talks have been made and I am sure that Zusk will not run away / kill us in our sleep / are tied up)
In my mind the idea is starting to form that this woman shaman may not be very good for the orcs. Orcs should not live in a cave, they should live under the open sky. While healthy respect (even if instilled by fear) is good, orcs should not fear their leader like the orcs (and slaves) seems to fear this shaman. A little seed gets planted in my head, and I drift off to sleep with a smile on my face.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-07, 02:55 PM
Please do not translate for the goblin. When I said we need to speak, I meant you, Heath, and I. Prescott pauses and waits for Horroar to show he understands.

Horroar, before we met, you lived in an orc tribe, did you not? And you probably did not live in this forest. In fact, none of us lived in this forest. None of us even know where we really are at the moment. We were transported here to this unknown place by an unknown force for and unknown reason. Do you understand that?

ufis
2011-09-07, 03:28 PM
"Horroar understands. This not my tribe. But they are orcs."

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-07, 03:58 PM
And you understand that these orcs have sent warriors to kill us. They're evil. They have pledged allegiance to a drow shaman. Drow are a kind of elf. They live in caves, have dark skin, and worship and evil goddess. The shaman probably gets her power from that evil goddess. Worse, it's a woman. Drow women are sneaky, conniving individuals whose only pleasure is causing pain to their enemies. These are not like the orcs of your tribe. They are foreign orcs who enjoy killing anyone who gets in their way, and right now, we're in their way.

I understand that you want to see your own kind, but we must be cautious. Heath and I want to know if you would be willing to go along with a plan we have created to learn more about the tribe while protecting ourselves.

ufis
2011-09-07, 04:17 PM
I sit and try to figure out exactly what Prescott was trying to say. And whether I should tell him about my plans.

Sense motive:[roll0] (To get that Gullible flaw into action)
This is not a roll because I think Prescott is lying to me, it is just the only roll I can think that is applicable for Horroar to "open up a bit"

"Horroar not like that orcs live in cave. That is what makes them angry. Horroar go and kill ... drow black elf. Orcs accept Horroar."

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-07, 08:02 PM
I would like nothing more than to free the orcs and the goblins from the black elf.

OOC:
[roll0]
Bluff check because Prescott would rather be a human guillotine and execute the orcs for enslaving the goblins. But you can't always get whatcha want.

However, it is not that simple. Prescott paused. How do I explain to a brute that the drow can channel a powerful evil goddess to strike him down? Not to mention that she's just smarter than him.

You are a strong fighter, but the black elf will not fight fairly. She receives power from her dark goddess and uses it deviously. Just going there and fighting her will not work. We must match our wits against her's and prove we are smarter. Has anyone ever called you a dumb orc? Don't you want to prove those people wrong?

GuyFawkes
2011-09-07, 10:26 PM
Heath sat silently beside Prescott. He nodded at each point Prescott made but made no move to interrupt or add. He wanted Prescott to do all the talking, as talking might look like the both of them are ganging up on the orc.

A post just so you know I'm still here. :smalltongue: Heath is silent for the reasons above, so I figured I needed to post anything so it doesn't seem I'm out.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-07, 11:51 PM
The clouds above break a bit, and the stars peek through.
Zusk shivers.
Soon, she will know, great orc. Know we have failed. know I have not returned. I attacked you, would have killed you if i could. Kill me before She finds me. There is no place to hide from her.

ufis
2011-09-08, 02:45 AM
To Zusk: "Do you still want to kill me?"

======================

I sit and listen to Prescott. When he is done I look to the west, as if I would see the orc tribe. After some thought I reply: "Horroar not clever. Horroar knows this. Horroar is strong." I raise the sword in the air to emphasise the last point, before lowering it again and continuing. "Horroar think not orcs sent goblins to kill us. Drow black elf shaman did. She not good for orcs. Orcs should not live in cave. Orcs should sleep under the stars. Orcs need orc leader. Horroar could be that orc. Horroar strong." I start to ramble along, confused as to what I should do now. On the one hand I feel a need to "save" the orcs, but on the other Prescott does make some valid points. "But Preskot talks clever. Drow black elf must be strong to keep orcs. She will kill Horroar ..." My voice trails off at the end. I get up, the disappointment of another shattered dream and the realisation of my own mediocrity dawning on me.

"Horroar tired. Talk in morning."

With that I find a place to lay down and go to sleep.

OOC
I am assuming that Horroar and Zusk have had their conversation about killing or not killing earlier while disposing of the bodies, and that they have reached whatever end to that before this conversation with Prescott.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-08, 12:04 PM
Yes, when you are rested, we will continue speaking.

When Horroar is asleep, Prescott speaks quietly to Heath. We may be getting somewhere. Perhaps instead of our more elaborate scheme, we find a way to kill the drow and help the orc become the tribes leader on the condition he free the goblins.

After he and heath finish conversing, Prescott says, Get some sleep, I'll take watch for the rest of the night.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

GuyFawkes
2011-09-08, 12:48 PM
"Yes, I think we are." When Prescott presented his idea about taking care of the drow instead of the whole orc clan, he stopped in thought. Then he looked back at Prescott and replied, "Yes, yes, I think the orc would agree more to that idea. However, I think it would be a much harder plan to execute. Well, we shall discuss that tomorrow then. Wake me when something happens." Heath then went to his usual spot and rested for the night.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-08, 06:13 PM
Sleep easy. I don't think anything is going to happen for the rest of the night.

If Prescott sees the goblin attempt suicide, he will intervene to stop it.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-08, 10:40 PM
To Zusk: "Do you still want to kill me?"

OOC

I agree, this conversation happened while picking up bodies.

Oh no, Great orc. And I don't want to die. But she has reached into other goblins minds, others that fled and forced them back. And what she did to them, there are no words in goblin or Orc for it.

You must tie me up or kill me. She might do the same to me. If I disappear in the morning you must run as fast as you can, for sure she'll know all about you then.

But maybe, If I do survive the day, maybe I will be safe? I don't know. No one leaves her. Sometimes a goblin flees, but always comes back before nightfall the next day.

ufis
2011-09-09, 12:55 AM
I will tie up the goblin, and explain the situation to the others.

"Do not worry Zusk. Horroar will not let the drow black elf get you."

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-09, 11:33 PM
The rest of the night is calm.

The day dawns bright for the first time in a long while.

Edit: Zusk struggles against the ropes and begins to scream. Then he stops, slips out of them and begins to walk west.

Stop me. Stab me. Kill me! Do anything, just don't let me go back!

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-10, 11:44 AM
When Prescott saw the sun shine brightly at dawn, he smiled. Surely it was a sign from Heironeous that he had done something right recently. At least, he hoped it was. The clear day being a product of the natural weather cycle was a much more likely, but less cheery thought. He hasn't abandoned me. If he did, it would still be raining and I wouldn't be able to fight.

Near the end of Prescott's watch, the goblin screams and slips out of his ropes. Before he can get too far Prescott runs after him and tries to grab him. WAKE UP! The goblin is trying to leave!

Grapple [roll0]
+2 for BAB and +3 for STR

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-11, 12:24 AM
Zusk attempts to continue walking, ignoring the attempt to grab him. Prescott grabs him easily.
(Now opposed grapple checks)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

GuyFawkes
2011-09-11, 03:41 AM
Heath Woke up at the shout, and when he stands up he notes it was Prescott who he saw haw trying to tackle what seemed to be the goblin. Confused, he rushed towards the two, shouting. "What's going on?" Not sure what to do, he just jumped in to try to hold the goblind down as well.

Grapple check:
[roll0]

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-11, 12:27 PM
While grabbing the goblin, Prescott remembered his last campaign before the cataclysm. He whispered as quietly as he could to Heath, Do you think the drow can hear and see us through the goblin?

ufis
2011-09-11, 12:35 PM
Zusk I think to myself when Prescott shouts wakes me.

I will move closer and seeing the goblin struggle to get away I will attempt to knock him out.

Unarmed non lethal attack: [roll0] Damage:[roll1]

GuyFawkes
2011-09-11, 12:54 PM
Heath was busy trying to pin down the goblin, but heard enough of what Prescott said. With what seemed to be a shrug, he replied in an equally low voice. "That I am not certain. Most probably, though."

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-12, 01:02 AM
With the opposing grapple check made by heath, Zusk takes [roll0] nonlethal damage.
And Horroar knocks him out cold.

Everyone make a spot check, please.

ufis
2011-09-12, 01:56 AM
"What happened?" I ask, not realising that I was asking on orc "How did he get lose?"

Slightly confused and still not 100% awake I pick up the goblin and start back to camp. (Not sure how far the goblin got before being grabbed but I take him back to his tie up spot)

Spot [roll0]

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-13, 12:26 AM
For Heath:

you spot a single crow silently stare and take flight towards the west. about 30 feet from your campsite.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-13, 01:41 AM
Heath fixed his clothes and walked behind Hoarror as he tried to bring the unconscious goblin back to its tie-up spot. While walking he noticed a small creature in the corner of his eyes. He turned around to look at it and saw a bird which looked to be a crow. He thought it odd for a crow to be in a place like that, and he remembered he hasn't seen one in the days they spent camping there. Then he remembered the dead goblin bodies nearby which he thought could be the cause of it being there.

He was about to dismiss it as a normal creature when he noticed the creature to be looking at their direction, seemingly observing their actions. He observed it some more and it might have sensed his gaze and flew away. He found it weird and followed the bird's flight with his eyes. Then suddenly, he realized something: it was flying west.

"Hey, I just saw a crow that looked like it was observing us, and when I looked at it, it flew away. To the direction of the west. I think you got your answer right there," he whispered to Prescott, wary if there are still eyes on them still lurking around.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-13, 02:29 PM
Of course he had to knock him out. What else would he do? It's not like any of us wanted to knock the drow off her balance. Prescott shook his head and rubbed his neck. It was still sore from his charge into the tree. Maybe we'll get another opportunity.

Prescott watched Horroar and Heath go to tie up the goblin. When Heath mentioned the crow, Prescott had an idea. We were outnumbered against the orcs on the frontier. Master Fattal burned a village to show them who they were dealing with.

They know we're still alive and that we have a goblin. It's what? A two day walk? So even if they send out another party today, we're safe until tomorrow night.

We need to make a bow and some arrows. Next time we see the crow, we're going to kill it, cook it, eat, and then leave the skeleton outside the drow's cave. Show her and the orcs we can be just as ruthless as they are. Maybe even begin to force her out of the cave to negotiate with us.

ufis
2011-09-14, 01:50 AM
"Horroar heard about orc warparties traveling four days in one day. If orcs go to war they move quick. Eager to fight." I say offhand while my focus remains tying up Zusk.

Use rope: [roll0]

I continue to voice my thoughts, almost to myself, but loud enough to for someone close by to hear "Zusk says orcs not leave cave. Orc not attack us. Zusk says drow black elf make them do things. Horroar not want fight orcs."

I suddenly look up as if having a brilliant thought.

"Crow tastes bad. Not good to eat. Should hunt wild fowl rather." ... oblivious to the actual importance of the crow.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-14, 03:55 AM
Heath went to check on Hoarror's tying up of the goblin. While he does so, he replied to Hoarror. "Well, see that's the problem. If it were just an orc warband, we'd kind of have an idea what they'd do. But it's this...drow was it? that keeps the situation unpredictable."

Use Rope: [roll0]

"There, that should do it." He looked at the rope knots once more before turning to the others. "But I guess we'd just have to expect the worst, rather than get caught unawares, right?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-14, 12:35 PM
Prescott walks over to where the goblin is being tied up so he can continue the conversation. We will still have someone keep watch tonight, but I don't think anything will happen.

I doubt that orcs will come to attack us just yet. I imagine that there will be another goblin attack. There will be more, but we should be able to handle them. The drow will probably use them to see just how strong we are.

If we do get attacked by goblins, we should try not to kill many of them. If we can...turn them like this one, then they'll be much more useful. Labor, extra fighters.

Even hostages, Prescott thought. But she'll need to have something of ours.

Point is, the more we reduce the drow's forces and show her that we need to be treated as a viable threat, the better our position becomes. And the more we reduce her forces and bring the goblins over to our side, the more likely it is the crow will come back.

ufis
2011-09-16, 01:48 AM
When I wake up I am pleased to find Zusk where I left him.
He is still there, right?
As I start to untie Zusk I say to nobody in particular:"Must move quick. Make other camp. Orcs will come tonight."
When it becomes clear that Prescott intends to stay I talk to him more directly: "Preskot want us to stay and fight orcs? Or capture goblins? Horroar still hurt. If many orcs come who will help Horroar fight?" I am still under the impression that I may be the only capable fighter, having been busy at the time that Heath and Prescott took care of the other goblins. But I have developed some liking of the 2 humans and some respect for Prescott's opinions.
"Horroar not understand why Preskot want to eat crow. But if us stay we need to prepare." I go check that there is enough materials for Prescott to make a bow and arrows from.

If we have enough for bows:
In orc "Zusk help Horroar. We need food." I will give him 1 of the goblin javelins to help hunt.
Zusk to aid (DC 10 for giving Horroar +2) [roll1]

If not:
In orc to Zusk "We need to harvest more wood." I explain to Zusk which trees we are looking for to make arrows.
Profession (woodcutting) [roll2]
Zusk to aid (DC 10 for giving Horroar +2) [roll3]

While out gathering food or wood I will question Zusk some more about the orcs and the goblins:
Do the goblins fear/hate the drow only or do they fear/hate the orcs too?
Is there any orcs that seem unhappy with the drow in command?
Where does Zusk fit into the goblin hierarchy? Just another member or a little respected or some type of leader?
How many orcs are there? How many goblins?
When was the last time that the orcs came out of the cave? To fight?

Later on I will relay the organisational information to Prescott and Heath, but keep Zusk's more personal information shared to myself.

I tried to cover a couple of option in this post taken from likely replies as per OOC thread

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-16, 09:28 AM
We do not want to eat the crow because it tastes good. We want to eat it because it belongs to the drow. If we show how strong we are by eating the crow, she will be afraid of us.

You're right Horroar, we do need to prepare. I will make some traps similar to the ones used the night before if we have enough wood. Prescott tries to not sound patronizing in the first sentence. He hopes that Horroar doesn't notice he avoided answering the question about how to fight a horde of orcs. If there are too many, we die. That's the risk we're taking. We could always move during the first half of the night if the others are that terrified.

Before making the traps, Prescott asks Heath, Can you make one of the morningstars a bit easier for me to use? I would rather use one of them than this club. It makes me feel uncivilized.

If there is enough wood to make the bow and the traps, Prescott will spend the day making them.
Survival [roll0]

If there is not enough wood, Prescott will spend the day making rope.
Craft (tools) [roll1]

If there is not enough material to make rope, Prescott will gather food.
Profession (farmer) [roll2]

GuyFawkes
2011-09-17, 12:26 AM
Heath started the day by making weapons he could use from the weapons they got from the goblins. While working, Prescott approached him if he could make some for him as well.

"Sure, no problem. I'm almost done with mine. How many do you need?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-17, 02:33 PM
Just one please. I fight with a weapon in one hand and divine fury in the other.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-18, 12:12 AM
While out gathering wood I will question Zusk some more about the orcs and the goblins:
Do the goblins fear/hate the drow only or do they fear/hate the orcs too?
Is there any orcs that seem unhappy with the drow in command?
Where does Zusk fit into the goblin hierarchy? Just another member or a little respected or some type of leader?
How many orcs are there? How many goblins?
When was the last time that the orcs came out of the cave? To fight?

Later on I will relay the organisational information to Prescott and Heath, but keep Zusk's more personal information shared to myself.

I tried to cover a couple of option in this post taken from likely replies as per OOC thread

There isn't enough material for a bow, So you gather wood and collect 2 gp worth. (a shortbow requires 10 gp worth of materials to craft)

While gathering wood Zusk attempts to answer your questions:
No, only those goblins born in the time before hate the Shaman and the orcs, like me. We remember being free. Those born after only remember the hunger we faced before the shaman found us, and those born after that only know of the shaman as a great leader, they don't know any other way to live than as her slaves.

The Shaman has played favorites with the orcs. Yarrow was her favorite but he said something wrong and lost his arm and now Marrok is her favorite. The orcs love her and fear her, but Yarrow hates and fears her, and there are others. I listen and stay quiet when they speak. And I hide well, I know things that some orcs don't even know. They don't even know of the goblin tunnels into the Orc encampment, the ones we use when we need to disappear for an hour.

I was the leader of the band that attacked you. And now I am a deserter. My place? There are some goblins that will listen to me. I'm a little smarter than most goblins, but only the old ones listen to me, the ones born before. The young calls us fools for wanting to be free.

There are 50 goblins, of that only 20 of us remember the before. there was more, but the Shaman's lessons in obedience cut that number in half. Then there are 20 goblins willing to fight for her and 10 too young to fight.

There are 150 orcs, but there are only 10 priests, the shaman's favorites, they are good killers but not so good thinkers, not like Horroar. The rest eat the food we grow, and worship the shaman, bowing to her, but I hear grumbles, some talk quietly of the good old days when they killed stinking elves and goblins and were free to see the sun. I know of 20 that meet regularly, in secret with Yarrow and speak of seeing the sun again. For the Orc camp is underground, the shaman lead the orcs into a great cave and sealed the entrance. No Orc has seen the sun in 3 years. She says it is to make them strong, but they do miss the sun.
Zusk looks up into the sky, his eyes winced.
I might be the first goblin to see the sun in 3 years. I forgot how bright it was. We are never allowed out during the day. Thank-you for knocking me out until her voice in my ears was gone
Zusk wraps his arms around Horroar for a moment and then broke away.
I am your servant, great horroar. You saved me from Her and let me see the sun again. If I die tonight, I will die free and happy.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-18, 12:16 AM
Prescott collects 2.4 gp worth of nonperishable food.

ufis
2011-09-19, 05:43 AM
I am caught a little by surprise when Zusk hugs me. Suppressing my initial reaching to kick the goblin away I stand for a moment taking in the action. On the one side I was raised in a community that looked down on slaves and instilled an absolute superiority over all other races. But it was also a community that rejected *me*. Cast me out because I was a half breed. Now this little filthy creature shows me acceptance, even though I do not demand it of him. Why did I not kill it? Why do I want to protect the orcs? An image pop into my head of some of the human slaves taking care of their own, something foreign to any orc. They did that without gain and without question. Am I really half-orc? Or am I half-human?

Suddenly realising that I have not said anything for several seconds, I look down at the goblin. "Horroar does not want you as a servant. Horroar will take you as a ... " I struggle to find a word for friend in orc " ... ally. Come, we go back to camp. I must speak with the others."

While carrying the wood back to camp things become much clearer to me. I now know what I must do. (At least it makes sense to me)

At camp I call to Heath and Prescott.

"We will go to orc camp. Kill drow black elf. Kill every bad orc. Kill every bad goblin." I continue even if I get strange looks from the others. "No more slaves. Orcs and humans and goblins will live together under sun and stars." I continue to relay the numbers, given to me by Zusk, of the orcs that do not wish to be there and the goblins that remember the old days. 20 orcs and 20 goblins. "Horroar wants to go kill them all. But Preskot say we need plan. What is plan?"

I go to the pile of goblin equipment and take out one set (1 leather armour, 1 wooden shield, 1 morningstar, 1 javelins) and throw them at Zusk's feet. To the others I say "Zusk is Horroar friend. He will help Horroar."
Then in orc to Zusk "How long before the drow black elf can send more warriors here? You said the orc camp was 3 days west?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-19, 10:14 PM
Prescott returned from gathering food and listened to Horroar. He was glad to see that the orc was on board with freeing the slaves. However, the orcs' politics would complicate things.

We don't need to kill all of them. Kill the drow and whoever supported her will back down. We will have to install a new, legitimate authority though. If we can, we should talk to the orcs who hate the drow. Forging a coalition to govern the tribe should be our second highest priority. However, if we kill the drow, we may be able to rule the tribe through Horroar...We would be the strongest faction and we could probably intimidate the drow's supporters into supporting us...

Prescott watched Horroar give the goblin weapons. I doubt the goblin would betray us. But we shouldn't leave him alone for now. He can take watch with one of us.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-20, 04:48 AM
"I think that's a good idea. But the question that begs to be asked is, can we take care of this drow ourselves? I mean, I know you are capable warriors, but seeing this drow has a hold on an entire orc tribe, she must be something else. And the most obvious thing is that we do not have equipment."

He stood up from his work and tried to arrange them for proper storage. Then he went back to face the others. "But before that, what do we do for tonight? Are we set on staying? Or are we moving?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-20, 04:28 PM
It's one creature. She does not have the power to physically compel all the orcs. She can do something to the goblins with her crow, but we don't know if she can only do that to one goblin, nor if it only affects the goblins.

It will be tough to kill the drow, but if we can separate it from the orcs, all of us combined should be able to overcome her. If we can gather enough goblins or orcs, they may even be able to fill her with javelins before we start our attack.

The problem is getting it alone. The best way I can think of is forcing her to come out of the cave in the day to negotiate with us. But to do that, we have to show we're dangerous, which comes back to the whole idea of moving our camp.

If we stay here, then we know that there will be more goblins or orcs for us to capture. If we capture them, then the crow will come back and we can then try to kill it. But to do that we need a bow.

We can spend the first half of the night moving, but if they don't find us, we'll have to find a way to get the drow's attention all on our own. That could be risky. It would give us the luxury of doing whatever we want to it, but I don't know if there is much we can do on our own. Piss outside the cave maybe. Prescott smiled at that last sentence. Maybe it wouldn't be a terrible idea.

If you both want to move, I'll go with you. I just think that it's better for our enemy to know we are out here and where we are in this case. It's counter intuitive, but my plan isn't exactly standard strategy.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-21, 12:41 AM
Then in orc to Zusk "How long before the drow black elf can send more warriors here? You said the orc camp was 3 days west?"

[In Orc]
zusk Thinks about it a great deal.depends on how angry she is, that I didn't come back. Tonight?He looks up at the sky and sniffs. No, she won't come herself, not for just little me. I hope.
So it will be goblins. Probably Sharuff and Glibal leading them. They're some of her favoritest goblins. Or an Orc, but I doubt that. If the sun stays out, then we got 3 days. If it rains tomorrow, then we got less. tomorrow night maybe. She doesn't let anyone travel in the sun. She says she can smell the stink of the sun on us if we do. He sniffs. I can't smell anything other than Human.

ufis
2011-09-21, 02:03 AM
Listening to Prescott I am able to understand just bits and pieces of his plan. "So Horroar kills or captures everyone drow black elf sends? Then drow black elf comes and we kill her? And Preskot eats the crow?" I am still unsure why he would want to eat the yucky crow.

"Zusk says more will come in three days, two if it rains. Horroar needs make ready."

To Zusk: "Does the drow black elf send you running on top or below the ground? You need to show Horroar the way you ran." then as an afterthought "Maybe some time later you take me to talk to Yarrow. After the fight."

For the next bit I am going by Horroar that was raised by orcs and even though he is a bit dense he should have picked up some basics about combat and setting ambushes.
Also switching between orc (italic) and common the whole time.

"Horroar needs make fake camp. When other come we hit them from back where they not see us. Zusk should show us who is friendly for Zusk, so we capture them and not kill them. Then after Horroar go talk to Yarrow. Zusk will take me to Yarrow."

GuyFawkes
2011-09-22, 12:10 AM
"Two days. Enough time to build some traps and make plans for an ambush, I guess. And some weapons we could use," he spoke as he arranged the materials he would use for the next day. He fumbled around, trying to sort out what he had and what he needed.

"Hmm, we need more wood for the bows. Maybe you can get them for me tomorrow?" he addresses both his companions. "For tomorrow, lemme see. I think I could work on some weapon again. We have enough materials for around two weapons I guess. You got preferred weapons you like to be made? Or some armor or shield perhaps? We have enough for two leather armor, and maybe one or two wooden or steel shield."

ufis
2011-09-22, 12:38 AM
I tap my leather armour with my longsword (both taken from the barbarian). "Horroar ready. Maybe Heath make shield for Horroar? Horroar and Zusk will get more wood in morning. Zusk likes outside." I slap the goblin on the back in a playful manner. Realising that the goblin did not understand and did not get the joke I switch to orc "Horroar needs to teach you human tongue."

GuyFawkes
2011-09-22, 12:55 AM
"Yes, thanks. We could use those. And one shield, yes. Noted. How about you, Prescott?"

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-23, 12:39 AM
Zusk replies to Horroar's question:
For the first day of travel we run all day underground. The last 2 days we approach during the night. We have places, caves hidden all over the forest where we stay during the day, I can show you the closest one, an hour from here. We keep some food and water pouches in there. But it's shaman food, it tastes wrong but she makes everyone eat it. Don't know if you want it.

ufis
2011-09-23, 01:13 AM
I stop dead in my tracks. This latest information makes things much simpler.

I return to where Heath and Prescott is. "Zusk tells Horroar there is cave nearby. They use cave to sleep when not attack us. We can set ambush there."

To Zusk: "Show Horroar where the cave is."

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-23, 01:45 PM
Armor would be nice. Something to make those javelins less of a menace.

Prescott listened to Zusk talk about the cave. How do they move underground? Could there be tunnels between these caves? Maybe the drow really is using the orcs to guard something.

If only we had some rope. We could trap the goblins or orcs when the come into the cave. Maybe if we dig a deep enough hole, we'll be able to do the same thing. No shovels though...I may be able to make some tomorrow and then we spend the next day digging.

Prescott looks at Zusk when he mentions the food. The drow has been making you eat it's food ever since it took over? And it has been able to control the orcs and goblins ever since?

Mind control through food is outrageous. If that's how it happens, then why is there the crow? What if the crow is a trick? What if the food is a trick? Damn I wish I were a priest. Then Heironeous would help me.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-24, 02:44 AM
"Yes, armors and shields it is. And oh, we could use that cave! That'd be a very good spot for ambush! Hmm, hey Hoarror, ask Zusk when they usually arrive and rest at the cave."

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-26, 10:21 PM
Zusk listens to all the gibbering, understanding that his news of the cave has drawn some excitement.

It's a very small cave. We slept there during the day. The entrance to the tunnels the goblins use to travel is 2 night travel west. We hide in caves during the day and travel above ground in the night. She tells us we will live longer if the sun never sees our face. And I believe her. She kills anyone who doesn't believe her.
As for food, at first when we we're hungry, we can't complain about the fungus She forced us to grow and eat. Meat is scarce. But now, only her priests eat meat. And the rest of us only eat what we grow, the growing fungus the shaman brought with her. Better than starvation, but we all need to eat meat to be more strong. I know Yarrow would eat anything now. even dwarf.
She doesn't control us goblins. We're scared of her and her priests. She calls herself our new god, and demands to be worshiped. She doesn't act like our old gods. Makes lots of words, some seem very reasonable,but no show of might, no earthquakes, no fire, only meat from nowhere for her faithful. Only cruelty at the end of her knife for those who run, or speak up. The orcs welcomed her at first because she fed them while they were starving. Now, I think, they fear her as much as us goblins do.

ufis
2011-09-28, 05:42 AM
"We must go to cave in morning. Set trap." and continuing in orc "Horroar and Zusk take first watch tonight. Will Zusk be ok tonight, or do we tie you up again?"

I will use the guard duty to get to know Zusk a little better. And find out more on the Goblins that will likely be sent next, whether they are loyal to the drow or will they defect, like Zusk, even with some help, like Zusk.

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-28, 02:47 PM
Wonderful. She has priests. I used to have priests. Master Fattal taught them how to use their divine power in battle. Hammers of Heironeous dressed like His healers. It would be nice to be one of them now.

Prescott translates Zusk's response into common for Heath. We really all should learn the same languages. Maybe the orc could teach the goblin our tongue while I teach you theirs. Some day when we have time perhaps.

I would have no problem going to the cave now. The goblins should just be leaving the drow now. They will spend the day in another cave and we can use that time to ambush the one we go to. It's only an hour away. We can make it and still sleep most of the night.

ufis
2011-09-28, 03:16 PM
I grunt and stand up just as I sit down to settle for the night.

"We go now?"

GuyFawkes
2011-09-28, 04:14 PM
"Haha yeah, I feel kinda left out," Heath replied to Prescott's comment on language. On the subject of moving to the cave, he replied, "Yes, we could stay there for the night. We could use the time to get accustomed to the terrain and possibly layout a plan on how to do the ambush."

ufis
2011-09-28, 04:59 PM
To Zusk "Will the goblins be able to know that we were there if we stay there?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-28, 08:48 PM
I think we should go. The goblins seem to have stocked the cave with provisions. I imagine they made it more livable than the outdoors. A smaller opening would be easier to defend as well.

If we can cause more goblins to turn, we can have them help us build a proper fort or camp. Gather enough wood to make some walls, some longhouses, maybe even a storehouse and watchtower if we're there long enough. We may even be able to build some of this before the winter. Would be nice to not have to live in a cave.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-29, 01:00 AM
I will show you.
Zusk leaps up and leads you through the woods as the sun sets. He stops a few times and climbs a tree to look around.
Underneath a massive conifer, Zusk disappears under the roots. The opening is 3 feet by 3 feet.

You can see a dim blue glow coming from below.

Come in, come in!

As you peer inside you can see the full cave. the roof, a massive flat slab of rock, is 4 feet off of the dirt floor. You can see the roots of the redwood lifted this boulder up, making this small space. Zusk looks comfortable, this cave is clearly for small sizes creatures. It is 10 feet wide in a rough circle. There are sacks of blue glowing moss and the air feels warmer. There is also a stack of javelins (30) and some steel scales (25 gp worth).

Zusk pulls out the glowing moss. This is the shaman's gift, that saved the orcs from starvation during the first winter. It gives off heat and a bit of light. And we can eat it, but it tastes terrible. No blood, no bone to crunch, no marrow to suck. Sometimes, we on patrol can catch a rabbit. But we know that She would skin us if she knew, so we are careful. midday, when she sleeps, we know she isn't watching.

ufis
2011-09-29, 02:41 AM
"Horroar will not fit in cave." I smile at the goblin.

I look for other exits (and ask Zusk about other exits) to the cave. Then I stand around trying to look like I am deep in thought.

"We not stay in cave. Wait close for other goblins. They go in cave and we block hole. Then we talk goblins. No need to kill more."

GuyFawkes
2011-09-29, 04:01 AM
"Amazingly, that's a brilliant idea, my friend," Heath smiled at Hoarror's idea and patted him on his shoulders. "Seeing that we can't fit in there, we can't actually stay inside, but it could serve the purpose of a trap. However, we should be certain about all the exits though."

ufis
2011-09-29, 04:14 AM
"Horroar looked exits and [enter DM's reply about exits here]"

Thunder Chicken
2011-09-30, 04:22 PM
Goblins are small. Forgot about that. If Horroar won't fit, neither will the other orcs. So if she sends goblins, we can trap them. If she sends orcs, we kill them. Surprising that Horroar's first thought isn't to fight though. Maybe Heath and I are rubbing off on him.

While Prescott approves of Horroar's idea, he does not express it as Heath does. Two of us can look for ways to close the exits quickly while the other sets up fire and a camp. The goblin can empty the cave of javelins and whatever else is in there. Make sure to leave some of the moss though. If it takes more than one night of talking to turn the other goblins, we don't want them to be starving.

Prescott had a flashback to setting a granary on fire during a raid with his comrades. Not starving to death at least.

GuyFawkes
2011-09-30, 07:52 PM
"I'll go work on setting up the camp then," going off before finishing his sentence. Heath looked around the area to find a suitable location for camping, then proceeded to making the fire.

Survival: [roll1]

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-30, 10:13 PM
There are no other exists. You realize it's so well hidden that if zusk didn't lead you to it you may have never found it.

Forbiddenwar
2011-09-30, 10:24 PM
Sharuff and Glibal we will kill. The others Zusk shrugs Maybe, once they see sun, eat meat, they will know how to live without the Shaman, know we can live without her. She is no god.
Zusks eyes grow wide and he looks around rapidly. Oh, I hope she didn't hear that.

ufis
2011-10-01, 01:08 AM
"Let her hear. Let her come. We will kill drow black elf."

I ask Zusk from which direction the goblins are likely to come, and relay the information to Heath, suggesting that we make camp in the other direction, so that the goblins do not stumble on to our camp.

When he is gone I continue in orc "We need to leave everything. Goblins must not suspect we here. Yes, must leave spears too. Not easy to throw from there." indicating the small space of the cave. "When goblins inside we block exit with thorny bush and then big rock. Bush quicker to move than rock. Ambush must happen fast. Then use smoke to make them give up weapons. Then we cook them rabit!" The last bit comes with a friendly slap on Zusk's back.

I continue directing setting up the area (clearing our tracks etc) and finding a suitable bush and rock for the exit, finally feeling useful for doing something (other than hacking wood and goblins). While doing so I am more than willing to accept suggestions from Prescott and Zusk.

OOC: Horroar found a friend in Zusk, someone that looks up to him. That is why he do not just want to kill all the goblins. And he realises that we need some more friendlies to combat the drow.

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-02, 02:39 PM
Prescott yawned. He was tired. He had worked during the day and only slept the first part of the night. I'll argue with Horroar later. After sleep.

Fine. Leave the javelins and scales. But take out most of the moss. Trust me. It will make the goblins more likely to side with us if we offer them food when they have little.

ufis
2011-10-03, 05:42 AM
When done clearing the area (including removing some of the moss) and making other preparations, I turn to the other two "Horroar tired. Time to sleep." With that I go off to find Heath and our new camping spot.

GuyFawkes
2011-10-03, 08:46 AM
Heath was thinking about what weapons or armor he was going to craft when Hoarror arrived. He stood up and spoke to him. "You guys done with clearing the cave, then? Alright, rest up. I'll take watch."

He sat back again and waited for the other two.

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-04, 01:15 PM
Prescott prays for several minutes before lying down to sleep. Wake me if you need me to take over the watch.

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-07, 01:13 AM
Heath hears it first while on watch. a slight change in the wind, a soft roaring like a distant purr. Then he spies a flickering light coming through the trees from the west. He shakes Prescott and Horroar awake And they both see it coming toward them. When pointed out to Zusk, he starts to shake.
Why? Why would she care so much about me to send that? It's one of her servants, I've only heard about them. fast as lightning, Hard to hurt.

ufis
2011-10-07, 02:12 AM
"Horroar will not let it harm you. What is it?" I continue to question Zusk about the creature approaching asking a few relevant questions that may help us in the fight. Is it alone? Can it climb? Can it jump? Does it use magic?

I look at the others, and then make up my mind about what I want to happen.
"Heath, Preskot. To flanks." I direct them each to one side of the likely path that the creature will follow to get to our spot. It is part command, part request. While I do not view myself as the leader of the group, I have seen that for plans to work as intended you need one, and only one, person calling the shots. "Horroar stay. Draw creature. You attack it from behind when it attack Horroar." I have developed enough trust in the two humans to believe that they will aid me in the fight. "Zusk. To my side. If creature come for you, Horroar will step in." I turn to Heath as the realisation kicks in that I am putting myself on the line here. "Heath make Horroar shield?"

Depending on the answers I get from Zusk about the creature (and any companions it may have) the plan is to draw the creature's attention to me, having it attack me, with the others attacking it from behind.

GuyFawkes
2011-10-07, 02:51 AM
The silence of the night made Heath reminisce of his life before that day that sent him and four others into the mess they are in now. He had no particularly colorful life to miss, he had to admit. He was alone; his master had died of old age, and he was an orphan. But he had grown to love it there, the woods he liked to call his own. He knew its every nook and cranny, almost all of its denizens, and all the trees and vegetation that grew there. He was proud of his work, protecting the woods from those who wanted to corrupt it for their own greedy purposes, and he did it quite well. He knew his master would be proud.

And he had also began to know more of the people from the village. He remembered the good old Desmond, who taught him the art of the forge, and his beautiful daughter, Pirika. He smiled as he thought about the fact that half of the reason he liked going back to the balcksmith's place was too see her.

In the midst of his trip back memory lane, he noticed something stir behind the trees, accompanied by a distinct sound. Bestial. His hands instinctively darted towards his weapons, and he stood to look where the sound came from. When he saw some light flickering, he moved quickly to wake his companions.

"Hey, we have company."

He still could not understand Zusk's words, so listened as Hoarror told them what to do. When the orc told them of his plan, he nodded. "My thoughts, exactly." He was about to go to his designated spot when Hoarror asked him about his shield. He hit his head, then turned back towards him. "Curses. My apologies, I wasn't able to finish it in time. Don't worry though, we'll step in before it becomes too dangerous, right Prescott?"

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-07, 10:08 AM
Prescott was muttering in his sleep. No...not the bucket...it's cold...too cold.

He jerked up when Heath woke him. Huh? Company? My hair is a mess. I can't be seen like this. Prescott then realized that Heath was talking about a different sort of company. He grabbed his mace and got up. We could always blind it though. Oh, how witty. It's like you weren't even having a nightmare half a minute ago.

Prescott rubbed his eyes and walked over to the others while Zusk was talking. Fast as lightning and hard to hurt? Oh well, we still have to kill it. And if we kill one of her servants, then forget the crow, we can eat this thing instead. He attempted to lighten the mood with that last remark, but he doubted it would work.

We'll cover the flanks. Don't get too excited Horroar. If this thing is as strong as the goblin says, running around and hitting it won't work.

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-07, 01:17 PM
I Don't know much about them. They come from an empty room in her temple she made us and the orcs build. She only has 1 at a time and if something happens to it, it takes a few months for her to bring out another one. They give off a lot of light, so they are hard to see. I'm not important, am I? Why would she send it after me?

ufis
2011-10-07, 03:17 PM
"Zusk is important friend for Horroar. Zusk should ask drow black elf why just before we kill her. Zusk make ready. We kill creature first."

I let out a roar, to make sure the creature spots me and comes for me. I make ready to drive my longsword into it's guts when it comes close. Heading Zusk's warning I squint my eyes to try and avoid being blinded by the creature's light.

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-07, 07:23 PM
Prescott paraphrases for Heath. It's bright. Lives in a room in the drow's temple. Only one of them. Takes a few months to make. Tastes good if we roast it for a few hours with the right spices.

Heironeous I know you're there. Be with me in my fight against evil. The drow's beast burns bright but your hammer is brighter. Should I fall, I will do it purging the world of taint. Then again, if I live, maybe I'll try to convert a few people. You'd like that, right? Maybe it was last lines like that kept Prescott from becoming a priest. He usually became cocky right before a battle. That attitude was never conducive to giving sobering prayers for those who were possibly about to die.

GuyFawkes
2011-10-07, 11:33 PM
"Right," he replied to Prescott. Bright creature? now where have I seen one? he racked his brain to see if he knew something about it, but he just shook his head after a few seconds and went to his spot for the ambush. He breathed deep to calm his body and mind and waited patiently, remembering to take care of his eyes and not be blinded. He gripped his weapons tightly in both hands, and waited for the time to attack.

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-08, 12:47 AM
It gets close enough to see more clearly. In a few seconds it moves seems to leap across the countryside like a grass fire. When it is 50 feet away you can hear it roar with a cackling laugh much louder than its small size would suggest. It looks like a goblin that had its skin replaced with fire. and it leaves a trail of burning grass and leaves behind it.

It hurts my eyes like the sun, I go hide.
[roll0]

BattleThread! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208751&page=2)

ufis
2011-10-13, 12:45 AM
"Where it go? Is it dead?" I turn around a few times to make sure it is not popping up anywhere else. When sure that it is not, I lower my sword and let out a loud victory roar. I slap Heath and Prescott on their shoulders "Good fight. We kill strange creature from drow black elf."

I turn to Zusk "Horroar told you we kill creature from drow black elf and protect Zusk." I spit on the place where the creature last stood to emphasise our victory.

If there is still some grass/vegetation burning I will attempt to put it out. No use killing the creature and then burning in a forest fire.

GuyFawkes
2011-10-13, 01:37 AM
Heath coughs a bit again. "Yeah, probably. Anybody familiar with it?" He looks around, trying to see if their little scuffle with their visitor attracted some unwanted attention.

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-13, 10:54 AM
Why didn't it hit back? What was it, anyway? Prescott tries to figure out what it was they just fought.

Knowledge, Religion [roll0]
Knowledge, History [roll1]
Int Check [roll2]

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-14, 11:34 PM
The night is quiet, heath doesn't spot anything else.
Prescott remembers descriptions of creatures of other planes. The final form of the creature mostly resembled a fire elemental. A well trained elemental, like a pet perhaps.
It did seem clear that the creature was so surprised and confused by your well coordinated attack and skill at hiding, that it didn't have a chance to strike back before dying.

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-15, 11:46 AM
An elemental? It would have to come from another plane. Could it be strong enough to rip it away and enslave it? It did look like a goblin was inside though. And it screamed. Maybe it created some kind of half-elemental. Too many unknowns to be sure. I wish there were a monk or scholar around.

Prescott looks around the camp. Everything seemed to be fine and no one injured. That was enough to make him happy. Not exuberant like Horroar, but content. Showing excessive emotions was uncouth and not the way of a holy warrior. He would feel satisfied, but would have to move on afterward.

Would you like me to take over the watch for now? Prescott asks Heath.

GuyFawkes
2011-10-15, 08:57 PM
Elemental huh. So she is able to call out one of those. But it didn't seem that strong, compared to what I heard from the master. Maybe...maybe we do have a fighting chance against this shaman.

He was about to go back to his watch when Prescott offered to take his watch. "Okay, thanks. I could use the sleep. I'll need to wake up early tomorrow, and hopefully have enough time to make some more gear for us."

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-17, 11:20 AM
The rest of the night passes quickly. The dawn brights clear as well, though cold. (this is the second day Zusk is with you)

GuyFawkes
2011-10-17, 12:07 PM
Heath awoke before the sun rose and quickly went about his business. He had to hurry, he thought. They could certainly use some more gear.

Craft armor: [roll0]

This is to make light wooden shields out of the small wooden shields to be used by Hoarror and Prescott.

ufis
2011-10-18, 07:11 AM
"I wonder if the drow black elf will still send some goblins after we killed her creature."

I will spend some time gathering more wood to enable us to finish up the bow.

"Zusk can either come help Horroar or look out for other goblins or creatures."

Gathering wood: [roll0]
Zusk aid in wood gathering [roll1] (if he joins)

If Zusk opts for lookout
Zusk Spot: [roll2]
Zusk Listen: [roll3]
(apply bonuses as needed)

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-18, 04:12 PM
Prescott awakens slightly later than the others. Seeing that they are busy at work, he begins to make a set of tools.

Craft [roll0]

Forbiddenwar
2011-10-19, 10:58 PM
Light wooden shields for anyone who wants one.

Horroar and Zusk gather 5.5 gp worth of usable wood.

Tools, so no more -2 to craft checks! use 1 gp worth of iron and 1 gp worth of wood.

each get 200 xp for the day and it is now dusk. A cold wind blows.

GuyFawkes
2011-10-20, 02:34 AM
When Heath finished his shields, he noticed it was already dusk. He stood up and stretched for a bit, then called out to the others. "Hey guys, I finished them. Here, he threw one each to Prescott and Hoarror. You could certainly use those, yes?" he beamed with a smile. "Not bad eh?"

He went back and rearranged his tools and materials. "Next one, I'll finish up Prescott's morningstar and then finally start with the leather armors. And now, with Prescott's newly-made tools, my work would be even easier."

Thunder Chicken
2011-10-22, 01:32 PM
I'll make some better ones soon. The ones I made today should due, but I can make some that will work with very fine materials.

Prescott got some food out for everyone. We expect goblins to be here tonight. We should figure out what we're going to do. The cave is ready to be blocked, correct?

ufis
2011-10-24, 01:35 AM
I check the shield made for me by Heath, swinging it around a bit and slapping it a few times with my hand.

"Good shield." I raise it in a salute of thanks to Heath.

"Horroar go see if everything right for blocking."

I will go to the cave, asking Zusk to tag along, and double check to see that everything is ready - the thorny bush I prepared earlier for blocking the entrance, and the rocks that will be used for a more permanent block if needs be.

Then I will ask Zusk to help me clear the area of our tracks.

PS. All the time I spend with Zusk I try to teach him the basics of the Common language.

Forbiddenwar
2011-11-02, 12:17 AM
It is quiet through the night. Nothing approaches the cave except for a few small squirrels.

GuyFawkes
2011-11-02, 01:55 PM
Heath awakes the next day and quickly arranges his materials and tools. He would need all the time they're not busy dealing with unwanted visitors to shore up their lack of proper equipment. Realizing he has what he needs, he calls out to Prescott.

"Hey, Prescott. I think we've got about enough materials for a decent weapon for you, other than the morningstars we got. What do you fancy? Oh, and I could either do that first, a crossbow, or leather armors for the both of us. Which one do you think we'd need first?"

ufis
2011-11-03, 05:17 AM
"Horroar will gather some food."

Survival [roll0]

Thunder Chicken
2011-11-05, 01:45 PM
No goblins? They should have been here. Perhaps the drow called them back. Maybe they know we killed the fire creature and they're waiting for reinforcements. Or they know we're waiting for them and they're going to flank us. Or the drow is coming herself. Prescott continued down this line of thinking until he realized he was beginning to sound like someone suffering from paranoia. Calm down. We'll be on guard, but I have no reason to suspect that the goblins know anymore than they did before they left. Focus on getting ready to fight and building a camp to survive the winter.

Prescott listened to Heath talk about making weapons and armor. At some point I would like a warhammer. However, it is not imperative for you to make me one now. I can fight with the morningstar and shield for now. Armor would be nice, but again, that is not an immediate need for me. If you want some, you can make it for yourself and then make the crossbow. Whatever you think is best.

Normally, Prescott would have told Heath what he thought was best. However, he had grown to trust him. It's not like you know too much about him though. But he does fight with me and has had plenty of time to back stab us. If he wanted me dead he could have done it by now.

Prescott continued to talk to Heath. Whatever you decide, you can use the tools I made for you. I'm going to get started on some better ones today. Also, I would like to talk about how to deal with the goblins when we eat tonight. We should all agree on a plan when we do something as delicate as this.

Prescott spends the day making Masterwork Artisan's Tools.
Craft [roll0]

GuyFawkes
2011-11-05, 02:03 PM
"Good. A warhammer. Nice choice. Hmm, alright then! I shall make us a crossbow. We'd need something to shoot things from afar. Like that bird, perhaps?" Heath smiled at Prescott at the mention of the bird.

"Thanks for the tools. And yeah, we do need time to talk that one over. Such as having contingencies. We'll never know if our plans are going to work as we planned." With that, Heath set off to make the crossbow.

Craft: [roll0]

Forbiddenwar
2011-11-18, 01:21 AM
Horroar find plenty of food for the day. Zusk enjoys hunting small squirrels. He's found his favorite food.

Masterwork tools cost 55gp to buy and 18 gp to craft. 6 gp of it should be iron while 12 of wood. I think the DC should be 15. A check of 17 means you start work on in and complete 1/18 of the project that day. ((15*17)/100=2.55 round up to 3 gp out of 55.

Crossbow Dc is 15. cost is 35, or 11 gp worth of wood. Heath shatters 4 gp worth of wood but tightening the string too much.

GuyFawkes
2011-11-18, 08:46 AM
"Graaaargh!!" came a shout of frustration, and when everybody looked, they saw an angry Heath throwing the ruined piece of what he was working on.

"Sorry. I know you've worked hard to look for these wood, and now they're all a waste. I shall help look for materials tomorrow," he spoke as he tried to salvage what he could from the things he worked on.

Thunder Chicken
2011-11-18, 05:22 PM
Don't worry about it Heath. It's been a long day. Come eat something.

Prescott led Heath over to where Horroar and Zusk were. We'll eat what you two found today. It won't keep as long, so we might as well eat it now. Everyone sit down.

As he passed out food, Prescott began saying what was on his mind all day. The goblins did not come last night. Maybe they will come tonight. Maybe they've been called back. Maybe their somewhere else. We don't know. We need to decide what to do. We can stay here and continue to wait. We can leave tomorrow. We can even leave now. But we have to decide. Ever since we came to this forest we've been drifting around. We need to make a plan that will take us through the rest of the season and the coming winter.

Zusk seems to have lived here for several years. I think we should ask him about the goblins and see if anything he tells us is useful.

Prescott purposely does not translate for Zusk. While he is willing to use the goblin's information, he still does not fully trust him.

GuyFawkes
2011-11-30, 01:22 AM
"Thanks," he replied to Prescott's offer.

As he sat there and ate, he listened to the man talk about what they will do for the future. After swallowing down his meal, he replied.

"Personally, I am fine with our current location. There are not much wild animals that attack us, and we have somehow a bearing as to how those goblins will come at us. Unless the drow comes at us with a much bigger force, say the orcs, I think we will be fine. The coming winter does pose a problem though. But I suggest we finish racking up equipment first before moving, as we do not know of the places we will be going to. Though I had a setback today, I could finish up at least a crossbow we could use tomorrow and some other things in a few days. And here, we can hunt for things we need, such as fur to keep as warm."

After having said his part, he looked at the orc. "How bout you, my friend? What do you have in mind?"

ufis
2011-12-02, 07:17 PM
"Horroar think we should stay and kill bad goblins. Zusk told Horroar about bad goblins." I give over all the information I have about the drow's favourite goblins that she is likely to send. "... so Zusk says we kill Sharuff and Glibal. And we see about others."

After taking a bite to eat: "After that we look for shelter. Goblins help. Then we go kill drow black elf."

Thunder Chicken
2011-12-06, 02:01 PM
Alright then. Deal with the goblins that are coming, then we move and make a shelter. And at some point teach Heath orc. If we're going to be surrounded by goblins, he should be able to speak with them.

Prescott listened to Horroar talk about the drow's favorite goblins as he finished eating. I'll take watch with Zusk tonight. You two can watch after us. Is that fine with you?

GuyFawkes
2011-12-06, 02:30 PM
"Yeah. I guess it's about time I learned that. I get left out most of the times here," he smiled, then continued. "And all right then, I guess I should prepare to sleep soon. Wake me up when it's my turn."