PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Champion of Nature (PEACH)

noparlpf
2011-07-26, 10:16 AM
(I've only been on this forum seriously for about a month, so I'm kind of new in regards to the local vernacular. I was supposed to mark this "PEACH", right?)

So, I'm a little bit too lazy right now to write in fluff. Let me just summarize the idea instead.
This is meant to be roughly the same power level as the core Paladin; it might be slightly stronger due to the ability to detect and smite different alignments.
I designed this because I was disappointed that WotC had never, even with the myriad ACFs and variant classes they had released for the paladin, made it possible for a paladin to be neutral. (Because apparently it's not okay to be militantly neutral? To champion neutrality as an ideal?)
Anyhow. What do you think of this? (I know it's far from overpowered, since "slightly better than the core paladin" still leaves it pretty weak in most peoples' evaluations.)

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Champions of nature have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Wisdom for casting, Charisma for class features, Strength, Dex, and Con for combat, depending on your style. Basically, the same as a typical paladin.
Alignment: True neutral.
Hit Die: d10
Starting Age: As paladin.
Starting Gold: As paladin.

Class Skills
The champion of nature’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str).
Skill Points at First Level: (2 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

CHAMPION OF NATURE
{table=head]Level|BAB|Base Fort|Base Ref|Base Will|Class Features|1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Aura of Neutrality, detect good/evil/law/chaos, smite 1/day|--|--|--|--

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Nature's grace, lay on hands|--|--|--|--

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Aura of Resolve, divine health|--|--|--|--

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Turn undead|0|--|--|--

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Smite 2/day, animal companion|0|--|--|--

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+2|Remove disease 1/week|1|--|--|--

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+2| |1|--|--|--

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+2| |1|0|--|--

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+3|Remove disease 2/week|1|0|--|--

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+3|Smite 3/day|1|1|--|--

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+3| |1|1|0|--

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+4|Remove disease 3/week|1|1|1|--

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+4| |1|1|1|--

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+4| |2|1|1|0

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+5|Remove disease 4/week, smite 4/day|2|1|1|1

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+5| |2|2|1|1

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+5| |2|2|2|1

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+6|Remove disease 5/week|3|2|2|1

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+6| |3|3|3|2

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+6|Smite 5/day|3|3|3|3[/table]

Class Features:
Armor & Weapon Proficiency: Same as the core paladin.
Spells: Roughly the same as the paladin. I haven't looked at those yet, so if anybody wants to suggest changes to the core paladin's spell list for this variant, feel free.
Aura of Neutrality: Can this even exist? Well, it does now. They're just that neutral.
Detect good/evil/law/chaos: As the paladin class feature, but any alignment.
Aura of Resolve: As the paladin of freedom (Unearthed Arcana). (Feel free to suggest a different aura.)
Smite: Similar to a Killoren Destroyer's smite attack combined with the paladin's. Once per day, a champion of nature can make a special smite attack that deals extra damage to the foes of nature. When making this smite attack, a champion of nature adds his/her Charisma bonus (if any) to his/her attack roll and deals an extra 1 point of damage per champion of nature level. This smite attack works only against aberrations, constructs, humanoids, oozes, outsiders, and undead. If a champion of nature accidentally smites a creature that is not one of the creature types listed above, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up and counts against the total uses per day.
At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, a champion of nature may smite the foes of nature one additional time per day, as indicated on the table, to a maximum of five times per day at 20th level.
Nature's Grace: As Divine Grace. But more nature-flavored.
Divine Health: As the paladin class feature.
Remove Disease: As the paladin class feature.
Lay on Hands: As the paladin class feature.
Turn undead: As the paladin class feature.
Animal Companion: As the ranger class feature; treat the champion of nature's effective druid level for determining the animal companion's abilities as half of his/her champion of nature level, rounded down.

eftexar
2011-07-26, 01:53 PM
I think that it has too many empty levels, especially considering so many of its features are uses per day. Then again, I'm not sure what level of power/utility or tier your aiming for (nor am I that familiar with tiers for that matter).

noparlpf
2011-07-26, 02:03 PM
I think that it has too many empty levels, especially considering so many of its features are uses per day. Then again, I'm not sure what level of power/utility or tier your aiming for (nor am I that familiar with tiers for that matter).

Have you looked at the core paladin recently? I based this off of the core paladin's level progression. It's not meant to contend with druids and wizards, just to fit in around the same level as a normal paladin.

eftexar
2011-07-26, 02:25 PM
Ah I guess it works then... It's just, sigh, the paladin is so underpowered. It has such few spells and then it grants you uses per day abilities (some of which are basically spells as far as I'm concerned) some of which are only usable every once in a blue moon (unless you are in a disease/undead heavy campaign). Even the fighter (whose feat progressions balance out to be worth 6 or 7 normal class abilities) has more utility than the paladin. Sorry about my semi-rant, but...

edit- Then again I am used to high power campaigns. Our DM actually had to make a new class just to make the paladin cool. The only class that was overpowered (even once third party and side books were introduced) was the optimized druid in our group who focused on shapeshifting.

noparlpf
2011-07-26, 02:31 PM
Ah I guess it works then... It's just, sigh, the paladin is so underpowered. It has such few spells and then it grants you uses per day abilities (some of which are basically spells as far as I'm concerned) some of which are only usable every once in a blue moon (unless you are in a disease/undead heavy campaign). Even the fighter (whose feat progressions balance out to be worth 6 or 7 normal class abilities) has more utility than the paladin. Sorry about my semi-rant, but...

Nah, I totally understand. I played a paladin once. It was rather underwhelming, especially since I started out the game only having access to the PHB and was a new player. (He had dodge. DODGE.) Eventually (this was a few months later in real life) I even had to "multiclass" into the paladin of freedom variant due to in-game events.
The idea of this was just to get a neutral variant roughly equal in power to the core paladin. I can deal with "fixes" another time.

So where can I learn about these "tiers" I keep hearing about? I understand that Tier 1 is for the higher-powered classes, and that the truenamer doesn't even get into the lowest tier, but I don't even know what that lowest tier is or consists of.

eftexar
2011-07-26, 02:41 PM
I usually just balance my homebrew around a power/utility level somewhere between the rogue, duskblade, and martial adepts, but with a few extra benefits, instead of worrying about tiers (I'm guessing they end up in tiers 2 or 3); but here are the tiers anyway (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=tm8t753i298id20ai7jf76r3u5&topic=5293).
On a side note the truenamer is much easier to fix than people make it. Just change the truename checks that require twice the CR/HD of your target to the CR/HD of the target without doubling it. Although I guess it does require some optimization still.

noparlpf
2011-07-26, 02:43 PM
I usually just balance my homebrew around a power/utility level somewhere between the rogue, duskblade, and martial adepts, but with a few extra benefits, instead of worrying about tiers (I'm guessing they end up in tiers 2 or 3); but here are the tiers anyway (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=tm8t753i298id20ai7jf76r3u5&topic=5293).
On a side note the truenamer is much easier to fix than people make it. Just change the truename checks that require twice the CR/HD of your target to the CR/HD of the target without doubling it. Although I guess it does require some optimization still.

Cool, thanks.
I built a truenamer once that worked fine. It just ended up putting lots of feats and money into truespeak.